How did we survive?

Started Jan 18, 2013 | Discussions
orangganjil
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
How did we survive?
Jan 18, 2013

I was thinking about this today and don't want to seem snarky, but reading through the forums here it makes me wonder how some of those who post here would have fared during the film days. No focus peaking, no auto ISO, being stuck with a specific ISO for a full roll of film, very little dynamic range (Velvia 50, anyone?), an OVF only, no noise reduction, no sharpening, having to use light meters, no histograms, etc.

Instead, pick a roll of film that gives you the color, contrast, speed, and clarity you desire, pop it in the camera, and shoot. Once done, take the slide film to the developer and view the photos on a light table once developed.

We somehow managed.

Regards,

Cody

Imagefoundry
Regular MemberPosts: 269
Like?
Re: How did we survive?
In reply to orangganjil, Jan 18, 2013

yup, I remember prefogging velvia to take the edge off a little. could do it with my eyes closed.

how did we manage? - well, the pay was good back then 

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
WT Jones
Senior MemberPosts: 2,430
Like?

I often wondered that myself. Add how did we manage without out IS too.

-- hide signature --

Warren

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

orangganjil wrote:

I was thinking about this today and don't want to seem snarky, but reading through the forums here it makes me wonder how some of those who post here would have fared during the film days.

We somehow managed.

And some of us are still managing.

Shot last week on FUJIFILM Provia slide film:

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinions and/or suggestions of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,389Gear list
Like?
In reply to rattymouse, Jan 18, 2013

Back then there was very little communication so there were more of the local photo clubs, and there were more photo magazines I guess.

Now all you have to do is push a button and your photo is instantly published and accessible to untold millions.  Not that it is any good as a photo, of course.

I think it's better now.  I prefer the present to the past.  No more smelly chemicals all the time!

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
Asylum Photo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,277Gear list
Like?

ISO 400 B&W film and a boat load of latitude.

-- hide signature --
 Asylum Photo's gear list:Asylum Photo's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Asylum Photo, Jan 18, 2013

Asylum Photo wrote:

ISO 400 B&W film and a boat load of latitude.

Even color negative film has enormous exposure latitude.

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinions and/or suggestions of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
Joel Stern
Forum ProPosts: 10,182Gear list
Like?

It would seem we did but others would not have. I liked film days, but I rolled my own tri-x.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Joel Stern, Jan 18, 2013

Joel Stern wrote:

It would seem we did but others would not have. I liked film days, but I rolled my own tri-x.

I suspect that a lot of people who never shot film would be knocked on their A$$ at the level of difference such shooting takes.  Those who can adapt and learn would benefit enormously from the discipline that film imposes.  The rest would run away fast, clinging hard to the comfort that digital allows.

-- hide signature --

stdavid
Senior MemberPosts: 1,835
Like?

My first real  real camera was a 1976 Nikon  F2AS (Well over 150+ thousand+ photos  and not ONE malfunction of the camera). I kept it and used the hell out of it till 2001 when I sold it and went Digital.

What amazes me these days are people that have to trade in their cameras every time a new model comes along. The vast majority of them haven't even begun to get the most out of the equipment they have. They are equipment jumkies..not photographers IMO.

-- hide signature --

Quote: Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes Oscar Wilde

Charles C Lloyd
Senior MemberPosts: 1,114
Like?

I can tell you that I would not be doing photography whatsoever if film were involved.  For a while a decade ago, I got excited about photography and my own abilities to get attractive results.  Then I realized there are millions of people who are even better and how (relatively) easy it is to be a very good photographer these days, and I lost interest again.  The technology has devalued the art form through dilution.  I now use it as a tool to record my experiences more than a way to express art.  I am very happy that my new X-E1 records the excellent images I get without my having to fret over too many things.

Photozopia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,302
Like?

Back in the day it was second nature ... no fall-backs or excuses. Sometimes days before you saw the processed results. Poor results were usually the fault of the photographer - rarely the camera or film.

Now ... the camera is always to blame.

Despite digital technology that would have been sheer science fiction thirty years ago or so, certain 'photographers' now automatically think it's something wrong with their camera when the glorious images they anticipated fail to emerge.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Photozopia, Jan 18, 2013

Photozopia wrote:

Back in the day it was second nature ... no fall-backs or excuses. Sometimes days before you saw the processed results. Poor results were usually the fault of the photographer - rarely the camera or film.

Now ... the camera is always to blame.

Despite digital technology that would have been sheer science fiction thirty years ago or so, certain 'photographers' now automatically think it's something wrong with their camera when the glorious images they anticipated fail to emerge.

Heh heh heh....well said.

Delta 3200 @ ISO3200. Shot last week.

-- hide signature --

Photozopia
Like?

Nice shots - I keep meaning to dig out my old film stuff, to get back to my roots, etc. but rarely do!

Damn the convenience of digital imaging ...

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Photozopia wrote:

Nice shots - I keep meaning to dig out my old film stuff, to get back to my roots, etc. but rarely do!

Damn the convenience of digital imaging ...

Best thing to happen to me in a long time.  I've shot 250 or so rolls of film during the last 4-5 months.  So much fun!

Provia 400X

Ilford Delta 3200

-- hide signature --

Photozopia
Like?

Expensive hobby! Results speak for themselves though ...

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Photozopia wrote:

Expensive hobby! Results speak for themselves though ...

Buying an X-E1 and a bunch of lenses aint cheap!

Neopan Across 100 film:

-- hide signature --

nixda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,876Gear list
Like?

orangganjil wrote:

I was thinking about this today and don't want to seem snarky, but reading through the forums here it makes me wonder how some of those who post here would have fared during the film days. No focus peaking, no auto ISO, being stuck with a specific ISO for a full roll of film, very little dynamic range (Velvia 50, anyone?), an OVF only, no noise reduction, no sharpening, having to use light meters, no histograms, etc.

Instead, pick a roll of film that gives you the color, contrast, speed, and clarity you desire, pop it in the camera, and shoot. Once done, take the slide film to the developer and view the photos on a light table once developed.

We somehow managed.

Doesn't that apply to just about anything, in any era? Cars, Internet, travel, etc. In 30 years our kids will realize that it is possible to have survived 2013.

I can tell you, though, that falling back to the roots isn't always fun. Just try to deal with cloth diapers. But what one doesn't do for the planet... I'm all for embracing the conveniences that modern technology delivers.

Just keep your fingers away from my 50-year old Mauviel copper pans, and my 25-year old Rotel equipment!

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to nixda, Jan 18, 2013

nixda wrote:

orangganjil wrote:

We somehow managed.

Doesn't that apply to just about anything, in any era? Cars, Internet, travel, etc. In 30 years our kids will realize that it is possible to have survived 2013.

I can tell you, though, that falling back to the roots isn't always fun. Just try to deal with cloth diapers. But what one doesn't do for the planet... I'm all for embracing the conveniences that modern technology delivers.

Just keep your fingers away from my 50-year old Mauviel copper pans, and my 25-year old Rotel equipment!

I had a Rotel 955 CD player.  Not quite 25 years old, but it's getting there.  My main stereo amp was this.  Back when America used to make stuff!

-- hide signature --

awgk
Regular MemberPosts: 210Gear list
Like?

I remember when you could pick up a Leica M4 for $200.00, the days have changed but it was fun and challenging. Carried two cameras because I needed two types of film. On the other hand I enjoy verging freedoms digital give you.

awgk's gear list:awgk's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads