E-PL5 - eight things I don't like about you.....

Started Jan 17, 2013 | Discussions
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 19,057Gear list
Like?
E-PL5 - eight things I don't like about you.....
Jan 17, 2013

Out of box fiddles and handling brought up some E-PL5 issues that of course I need to learn to live with.....

♦ Silver body - seems like a cheap spray job, just has that cheap look to it. But that's me.

♦ Mode dial - twists a little too easily, I like the very firm E-PL1 action.

♦ Screen - yes should be 4:3 or at least 3:2, but then I do need to get used to trying to always shoot in 16:9 as that is how all the screens in the house are shaped. At least the RAWs are there at 4:3 so situation is safe for any prints.

♦ Buttons - oh hell, a whole new layout to learn to get used to. At least the red movie start button is somewhere less bumpable by me, but it's assigned to something else anyway (now set to 2x tele toggle, hey, that's nice and handy for casual shots).

♦ Menu on screen - bright white background, what the heck were they thinking? The upside is that I can now get around in the dark by shining my menu screen ahead of me.

♦ Flash - I do hate that silly add-on flash, put it back in the body, Olympus.

♦ Battery/card door - flops about, needs a little spring to keep it open when fumbling. Better though that it now swings a different direction so is easier to get the card out.

♦ Charger - this one orange for charging, goes out when finished, oh pain, why not keep it red/blue like the old one?

So now with E-PL1/E-P3/E-PL5 in the house to compare I do see the E-PL5 as nicer in some ways but not so nice as above. The Mode Dial MySets are what sold it to me. Of the three cameras the E-P3 is definitely the nicest to use. After a few years of E-PL1 I will obviously need retraining to suit the E-PL5 so my opinions will probably get better from now on.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +17 more
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Guy Parsons
Like?
Re: E-PL5 - a ninth thing
In reply to Guy Parsons, Jan 17, 2013

♦ nearly forgot - the HDMI output is now Micro HDMI instead of Mini HDMI. Oh joy, need to go seek yet another HDMI cable type.

While on the subject of sockets, the Oly USB socket seems to cause problems with third party remotes, the plug needs a hell of a lot of push to get it to contact then the plug comes apart when extracted. Something is wrong with that micro multi-USB port and/or the tiny plug/socket specifications.

Regards..... Guy

Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Barry Stewart
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,152Gear list
Like?
Did your pre-reading help?

How'd it go, getting the Super Control Panel up and running?

-- hide signature --

Barry

Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +10 more
Swingline
Contributing MemberPosts: 699Gear list
Like?
Re: E-PL5 - a ninth thing

But if you were looking for a camera with an angleable lcd and a camera for learning HDR you are in heavan, imoh.  Up to 12 f-stops of range in bracketing  that can be saved to a preset and assigned to the useless iAuto mode.

Swingline's gear list:Swingline's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +11 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 14,674Gear list
Like?
Re: E-PL5 - eight things I don't like about you.....

So finally broke down and got one, at that money-saving price, I'll bet, good on 'ya!

Two comments,

1- expensive flashlight.

2- You could have bought maybe 5 E-PL1's for the same price.

Looking forward to your reports and suggestions for this camera, Guy!

Steve

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
ttan98
Senior MemberPosts: 1,015
Like?
Re: Olympus may give you nice images but..

Guy Parsons wrote:

Out of box fiddles and handling brought up some E-PL5 issues that of course I need to learn to live with.....

♦ Silver body - seems like a cheap spray job, just has that cheap look to it. But that's me.

♦ Screen - yes should be 4:3 or at least 3:2, but then I do need to get used to trying to always shoot in 16:9 as that is how all the screens in the house are shaped. At least the RAWs are there at 4:3 so situation is safe for any prints.

♦ Buttons - oh hell, a whole new layout to learn to get used to. At least the red movie start button is somewhere less bumpable by me, but it's assigned to something else anyway (now set to 2x tele toggle, hey, that's nice and handy for casual shots).

♦ Menu on screen - bright white background, what the heck were they thinking? The upside is that I can now get around in the dark by shining my menu screen ahead of me.

♦ Battery/card door - flops about, needs a little spring to keep it open when fumbling. Better though that it now swings a different direction so is easier to get the card out.

♦ Charger - this one orange for charging, goes out when finished, oh pain, why not keep it red/blue like the old one?

So now with E-PL1/E-P3/E-PL5 in the house to compare I do see the E-PL5 as nicer in some ways but not so nice as above. The Mode Dial MySets are what sold it to me. Of the three cameras the E-P3 is definitely the nicest to use. After a few years of E-PL1 I will obviously need retraining to suit the E-PL5 so my opinions will probably get better from now on.

Regards.... Guy

from the point of value for money I don't think their cameras(retail price after launch) don't give you that---- value for money, unlike most Sony Nex cameras, esp. the F3, very cheap and outstanding quality, image, bulit and features.

jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,201Gear list
Like?

Hi Guy.

I tried the EPL5 out myself, and while it is a nice, solid feeling camera, I didn't think it sat in the hand as well as the EPL1, and I also had a few of the same concerns you do (the mode dial being too easy to accidentally shift modes on, for one).

I have a suggestion...Why not wait to see what the EP-5 will have? It's a rumor, yes, but if one is announced at the CP+ show in a couple of weeks, it might be worth it to wait and see what it has...I mean, if it has a larger LCD and grip, controls, and flash like the EP-3, it would definitely be worth the wait.....Of course, there is an equal chance it will not have the built-in flash, though.

Just a thought....

-J

Guy Parsons
Like?
Re: Did your pre-reading help?
In reply to Barry Stewart, Jan 17, 2013

Barry Stewart wrote:

How'd it go, getting the Super Control Panel up and running?

-- hide signature --

Barry

After the E-PL1 and helping many to do the same the SCP can be set up with my eyes closed now. No problemo at all.

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons
Like?
In reply to jalywol, Jan 17, 2013

jalywol wrote:

Hi Guy.

I tried the EPL5 out myself, and while it is a nice, solid feeling camera, I didn't think it sat in the hand as well as the EPL1, and I also had a few of the same concerns you do (the mode dial being too easy to accidentally shift modes on, for one).

I have a suggestion...Why not wait to see what the EP-5 will have? It's a rumor, yes, but if one is announced at the CP+ show in a couple of weeks, it might be worth it to wait and see what it has...I mean, if it has a larger LCD and grip, controls, and flash like the EP-3, it would definitely be worth the wait.....Of course, there is an equal chance it will not have the built-in flash, though.

Just a thought....

-J

I love using the E-PL1, very natural after a few years.

The "free" E-P3 to replace the bad E-PL1 really was the camera I should have waited for and bought originally, it's just so nice.

The new E-PL5 has some great new features, it's a better camera for me than the E-M5 would have been. But those 9 things above.....

And the E-P5 ?????

If that surfaces and is good, then maybe the whole E-PL1/E-P3/E-PL5 mess will go away and I get peace at last with the perfect E-P5 -  unless they do something stupid with that as well.

Meanwhile I'm still playing with the E-PL5 getting used to it, have done the v1.1 update and checked all the lenses and flash again for updates.

Later when I am more accustomed to the E-PL5 I promise to make a "ten things I like about the E-PL5" thread. There are a few great things I knew of that made me buy it.

Regards...... Guy

LudwigVB
Regular MemberPosts: 315
Like?
In reply to jalywol, Jan 17, 2013

jalywol wrote:

....Of course, there is an equal chance it will not have the built-in flash, though.

Just a thought....

-J

Yes, that's just the sort of dumb-ass thing Olympus would do. They are their own worst enemy.

-- hide signature --

The trouble with resisting temptation is, you never know when you'll get another chance

Roberto Angelo
Regular MemberPosts: 254Gear list
Like?

Dear Guy,

Not sure I understand the problem with the USB port. One of the reasons I was thinking of moving from the e-pl1 to the e-pl5 was the lack of a remote cable option with the e-pl1. Is this still a problem?

Very interested in hearing of your experiences with the new camera.

Robert

Roberto Angelo's gear list:Roberto Angelo's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +2 more
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,478Gear list
Like?

Guy Parsons wrote:

This one is to save energy, many chargers do the same for that reason.

Regards.... Guy

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
God always take the simplest way.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,537Gear list
Like?

Thanks for the valuable feedback.

Except for the annoying 16:9 LCD, your complaints are minor to me. They are forgivable given the OMD sensor. Few manufacturer would put their top sensor in their value models. It would be nice to have a built-in EVF though. The bright Aussie sun often makes the LCD very hard if not impossible to use, especially in portrait orientation. I don't like choosing between EVF and flash, or fiddling with little covers etc, if the added bulk or size is so trivial. Let's hope for a better E-P5, or something that can match the NEX-6 in terms of these essential parts.

PhotoPMW
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?

I was looking for a camera to replace my wife's ancient Canon G3, and found the E-PL5.  The more I looked at it, the more I liked for myself as well.  So I bought two of them at the sale prices over the holidays.  After using a clunky old Canon 10D for the last 8 years, I knew the E-PL5 would be a major paradigm shift for me.  I was right.   My major complaints are:

• Too small for my hands, particularly with a heavy lens.
  • The control wheel is too small.  I have to use my thumb nail to select, press OK, and turn it.
  • The battery door seems flimsy.

Other than that, I love this camera!  It has changed my photographic life.  The SCP and live view are a whole new way to shoot.  Being able to see blocked shadows and highlights before I shoot, blows me away.

The flip side of being too small is that my shoulders no longer ache from carrying around a DSLR and a bag of lenses.  And, I can hide the camera under my coat for "concealed carry."   Being able to touch the screen to focus and shoot is simply fun.  Oh, and image quality, particularly with some of my Pentax primes, is wonderful.

I don't mind the clip-on flash, as I rarely used the flash on my Canon.  I did buy the VF-3, which stays on the camera all the time.

All in all, the E-PL5 is a keeper for me.

jimoyer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,654Gear list
Like?

Guy Parsons wrote:

Regards.... Guy

Just a few thoughs:

Can't speak for the Silver body.  I got the black one because I wasn't impressed with the silver either.  Have to agree with you there.

Mode Dial:  Definitely a more "dampened" feeling for lack of a better compared, in my case, to an E-PL2.  If I had a choice, I like the E-PL2's better, but don't find the E-PL5's a problem after using mine for a few weeks now.

Buttons: Definitely different, but I personally like them and their placement better than the E-PL2.

Flash:  Couldn't agree more.  Come ON Olympus.  Your customers want this.  How often do you have to hear people complain about it?

Battery/Card Door:  You do know that if you open it, and move it to the far end of the "flop", it will then extend just slightly farther and lock out of the way and not flop at all?

Charger:  The same as the E-PL2 charger I have.  Not sure when they changed it, but I could also care less what color the LED is.

A few things I've found now that I've had mine for a few weeks.......First, I would love to know what some of the reviewers who have written reviews on this camera are comparing it to when they refer to it as "plasticy" feeling.  All I have here to compare it to are the E-PL2, Canon G12, Oly E1 and Nikon D200.  The E-PL2 feels plasticy.  The E-PL5 feels a lot more like the D200/E1 than it feels like the E-PL2.  All of that said, I would love to have the build quality, image quality, button layout of an E-PL5, in a body the general size, shape and dimensions of the E-PL2.  If that's what the E-P5 ends up being, with the E-P3's built in flash, Oly is going to have a winner on their hands.

jimoyer's gear list:jimoyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +5 more
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,537Gear list
Like?
In reply to jimoyer, Jan 18, 2013

The E-PL5 is more plasticky and its buttons are smaller, but that's what you want - a small and lightweight camera with a great IQ, and price. And also a range of small and light, but quality lenses to use. Otherwise get the E-M5, solid, but heavier and more expensive. Or the NEX-6 and not have small or decent lenses to use. The E-PL5's build (all metal construction) is fine. The "feel" being plasticky is the least of my worries.

leeosenton
Junior MemberPosts: 29
Like?
In reply to Sergey Borachev, Jan 18, 2013

Sergey Borachev wrote:

The E-PL5 is more plasticky and its buttons are smaller, but that's what you want - a small and lightweight camera with a great IQ, and price. And also a range of small and light, but quality lenses to use. Otherwise get the E-M5, solid, but heavier and more expensive. Or the NEX-6 and not have small or decent lenses to use. The E-PL5's build (all metal construction) is fine. The "feel" being plasticky is the least of my worries.

All in on this note! I keep my white E-PL5, 9-18mm, 25mm, 45mm, 300R flash and VF-2 all in a tiny Tamrac 3535 bag. I love the size, convenience, and performance of this kit!

Lee

Guy Parsons
Like?
In reply to Roberto Angelo, Jan 18, 2013

Roberto Angelo wrote:

Dear Guy,

Not sure I understand the problem with the USB port. One of the reasons I was thinking of moving from the e-pl1 to the e-pl5 was the lack of a remote cable option with the e-pl1. Is this still a problem?

The USB port is quite OK when using kosher Olympus USB cables, the two that came with the camera for audio/video and the other for PC connection slip in and out just fine.

The problem is that third party cables as I found on the Hahnel remote just are too tight and usually fall apart when taking them out again. I need to get away from the computer and do some accurate measuring to see why it causes problems.

Anyway the touch screen focus/shoot is totally marvellous and removes the need for remote cables when on a tripod - just add some anti-shock delay for safety and a light touch of the screen causes no shake problems.

I bought the Hahnel radio remote for the intervalometer function and some other nice features, so will now have to sort out that tight plug.

Very interested in hearing of your experiences with the new camera.

Robert

Despite the whining above I do like the camera and later will produce a list of things I do like. It is definitely a more modern camera than the E-M5 and has some nice additions over that camera.

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons
Like?
In reply to Aleo Veuliah, Jan 18, 2013

Aleo Veuliah wrote: This one is to save energy, many chargers do the same for that reason.

At rest (no battery) the charger consumes about 0.1 watt, with the LED shining (battery finished and LED shining) it consumes about 0.13 watt - having no LED shine will save some penguins for sure - but annoys the hell out of the users.

We would save more penguins just by turning off lights when we leave the room and also turn off at the wall all junk that uses standby power. I turn off my modem at night for the same penguin saving reason.

Regards...... Guy

Guy Parsons
Like?
In reply to jimoyer, Jan 18, 2013

jimoyer wrote:

Buttons: Definitely different, but I personally like them and their placement better than the E-PL2.

Yes, I think I can get used to them quickly, the playback & trash buttons on the left makes much more sense.

Battery/Card Door: You do know that if you open it, and move it to the far end of the "flop", it will then extend just slightly farther and lock out of the way and not flop at all?

Yes, I realise that, but why not have a simple spring that pops it right open anyway, seems a weird change to me. It's the initial floppiness after having decent doors with a bit of hold-open friction that annoys. Little things I know but it all adds up.

Charger: The same as the E-PL2 charger I have. Not sure when they changed it, but I could also care less what color the LED is.

Probably have five different ways that chargers from various cameras behave in the house now, so it's hard to know what's what. No real logic in the whole charger scene from whatever Chinese company who pumps these things out.

One thing mentioned about the rear screen above. To date I've been inside the house and no problems, but just now walked out into the blazing Aussie sun (it will hit 40 C today) and darn it, the screen was impossible, worse than the E-PL1 it seems. Next job is to take E-PL1 & E-P3 & E-PL5 outside and side by side see which looks best.

I really do wonder about camera and screen makers, do they ever take their products outside to see how they work in sunlight?

Regards...... Guy

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads