Photography as a purly utalitarian medium

Started Jan 17, 2013 | Discussions
v1fan
Forum MemberPosts: 93
Like?
Photography as a purly utalitarian medium
Jan 17, 2013

Do you agree that the only usefulness left to still photography is purely in the utilitarian areas such as passport photos, crime scene photos, product photos etc. and photography as an "art" form is pretty much finished.

Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 4,642
Like?
Re: Photography as a purly utalitarian medium
In reply to v1fan, Jan 17, 2013

What if 'dog' was spelled 'c a t'?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?
Do you have no friends or family ?

I ask this because I have friends and family and I find myself taking photos at gatherings ( although not at funerals ).  Later people, including me, look at these images and get some small bit of happiness from the emotional context of the images.  The vast majority of all photography is, and always has been, for this purpose.

You should try this, even if it means acquiring friends.

Art ?  Don't really care and never did.

If the only purpose I had for cameras was the ones you describe I'd stop using them completely.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

Colin Franks
Contributing MemberPosts: 906Gear list
Like?

I dunno, but it sure seems saturated (no pun intended).

Colin Franks's gear list:Colin Franks's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Canon EOS 6D Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +17 more
DenWil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,532
Like?
Re: Photography as a purely utilitarian medium

v1fan wrote:

Do you agree that the only usefulness left to still photography is purely in the utilitarian areas such as passport photos, crime scene photos, product photos etc. and photography as an "art" form is pretty much finished.

No. I do not agree with that. Advertising photography over the years achieves "art" status with regularity and continues to do so. Even the Mona Lisa has been used to sell things. Duel purpose and utility  is not the same as soulless, generic or mundane.

DenWil
Senior MemberPosts: 1,532
Like?
Re: Do you have no friends or family ?
In reply to Deleted1929, Jan 17, 2013

sjgcit wrote:

I ask this because I have friends and family and I find myself taking photos at gatherings ( although not at funerals ). Later people, including me, look at these images and get some small bit of happiness from the emotional context of the images. The vast majority of all photography is, and always has been, for this purpose.

You should try this, even if it means acquiring friends.

Art ? Don't really care and never did.

If the only purpose I had for cameras was the ones you describe I'd stop using them completely.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

I have friends and family  and I never shoot at gatherings and  all my photography has always been associated with work and occasionally aspiring as  art.

If my only use for a camera was to shoot real people family snaps of babies spitting and aunties eating cake I'd never use another one. The very thought of  it grosses me out.

For someone with over eleven thousand posts I'd have expected other  than a family snap shooter with no interest in art-  but maybe that's why you have the time for eleven thousand posts.

-- hide signature --

denniswilliams

rsn48
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,130
Like?
Moderator put down
In reply to DenWil, Jan 17, 2013

For a moderator to put some one down is "less than optimal" since the purpose of moderating is to dampen flames not encourage them.  Not that big a deal in this post, but be aware of your role here moderator.

To the OP there is a saying that "boredom is an insult to one's self."  I think there are still many avenues to artistic photography, you just haven't found it for yourself.  I am continually blown away by the quality of photography - artistically - that is available today.  I find current work to be incredibly original and socially utilitarian.  On average, photography has improved leaps and bounds so that very good photos can be achieved by many now, which raises the bar for truly artistic photography.

-- hide signature --

Hind sight is always better than foresight, except for lost opportunity costs.

v1fan
Forum MemberPosts: 93
Like?
Re: Moderator put down
In reply to rsn48, Jan 17, 2013

The main problem why photography does not have a future as an art form is quite simple, there are no means and ways to understand what is a good photograph today - thanks to digital technology.

The look department is pretty much taken care of by software and the subjects are pretty much the same as they were in the beginning of photography, nothing else is left in photography that someone could aspire to.

When there is no challenge left and no clear goals then naturally what follows is a simple activity, like writing a journal but instead using photos, a personal journal means something to the person who wrote it but for others its completely boring and useless, this is the reality of photography today, basically everyone's photos are like their personal journal, therefore something very personal and irrelevant to everyone else and hence very far from art.

The best a photographer could aspire to in the past was publishing a book, well, today one can do that very easily by using blurb etc, but then everyone is doing it so whats the point?

deleted_081301
Senior MemberPosts: 1,862Gear list
Like?

v1fan wrote:

The main problem why photography does not have a future as an art form is quite simple, there are no means and ways to understand what is a good photograph today - thanks to digital technology.

The look department is pretty much taken care of by software and the subjects are pretty much the same as they were in the beginning of photography, nothing else is left in photography that someone could aspire to.

When there is no challenge left and no clear goals then naturally what follows is a simple activity, like writing a journal but instead using photos, a personal journal means something to the person who wrote it but for others its completely boring and useless, this is the reality of photography today, basically everyone's photos are like their personal journal, therefore something very personal and irrelevant to everyone else and hence very far from art.

The best a photographer could aspire to in the past was publishing a book, well, today one can do that very easily by using blurb etc, but then everyone is doing it so whats the point?

"The best a photographer could aspire to in the past was publishing a book"   ..????

so not A Gallery Exhibition ....????  ......or selling His/her work ????

and of course your post does beg the Question ...IF you think photography has no future ... Then why are you     bothering to post in the forum ????

or even using the Forum ????

deleted_081301's gear list:deleted_081301's gear list
Olympus C-4000 Zoom Olympus E-300 Olympus PEN E-PL1s Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +5 more
Deleted1929
Like?

Moderators are entitled to express their views.  I'd be very surprised if anyone because a volunteer moderator knowing they could not post their opinions.

If you don't like my answer blame the OP - it is inevitable that someone would express my viewpoint, as the OP seems oblivious of the primary use of cameras.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

rsn48
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,130
Like?
When Mod, lose some freedoms

I've been a moderator, not here but at another forum not photo related.  When you become a mod, you do loose a wee bit of freedom as you have to be a bit more of a diplomat than when not a mod.  You're the guy or gal with your arms out blocking the two fighting parties, though I have to say where I moderated there was little fighting.

Don't be upset at my post, just remember you are part ambassador now, you'll work hard for no pay.

-- hide signature --

Hind sight is always better than foresight, except for lost opportunity costs.

Takagi
Forum MemberPosts: 66
Like?

v1fan wrote:

If it is to you, it is to you. To me photography is art and always will be. One person's art is another person's trash. Asking for a consensus on art is a waste of time.

Takagi
Forum MemberPosts: 66
Like?
In reply to Takagi, Jan 17, 2013

There is nothing utilitarian about an image like this. Art? I have no idea.

Deleted1929
Like?
Re: When Mod, lose some freedoms - NOPE (nt)
-- hide signature --

StephenG

amosf
Contributing MemberPosts: 680Gear list
Like?
Re: When Mod, lose some freedoms - NOPE (nt)

It was a bit of a silly post, and the response was very appropriate. And a lol

Perhaps the OP should look back at the history of photography a bit, see what people has used it for over the decades...

amosf's gear list:amosf's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +3 more
Mike_PEAT
Forum ProPosts: 10,667Gear list
Like?
No, what makes you think that?

Have you not looked at a photography magazine lately? If DPR is the only site you visit it's easy to think that...check out what people have posted to the following site:

http://1x.com/

I do product photography as my day job, but I need to let loose with something creative and artistic, or at least experimental.

Mike_PEAT's gear list:Mike_PEAT's gear list
Lytro Light Field 16GB
Dan Marchant
Senior MemberPosts: 1,709Gear list
Like?
No, of course not.
In reply to v1fan, Jan 18, 2013

v1fan wrote:

No, I don't agree. Is there some reason why you think this? Care to explain why you think this?

-- hide signature --

Dan
-
I love my girlfriend, my dog and my canon 5DIII - even though none of them ever do what I tell them
I am learning photo graphee - see the results at www.danmarchant.com

Dan Marchant's gear list:Dan Marchant's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
pavi1
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,311Gear list
Like?
In reply to v1fan, Jan 18, 2013

v1fan wrote:

Yes, completely done. May as well quit, waste of time.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

richarddd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,955Gear list
Like?
Re: When Mod, lose some freedoms
In reply to rsn48, Jan 18, 2013

Depends on the forum.

richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +3 more
lilin
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to rsn48, Jan 18, 2013

The post is very good.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads