A Hawk In Beautiful Morning Light Captured by the SX50

Started Jan 17, 2013 | Discussions
VisionLight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,479Gear list
Like?
A Hawk In Beautiful Morning Light Captured by the SX50
Jan 17, 2013

The sun was coming over the hills as I walked out this morning and there about 70 feet up in front of me was a hawk perched in one of my trees. She saw me but didn't flinch, so back inside I went for my SX50. Knowing that she now knew I was around, I hit the zoom assist button before I went back through the door so that I could quickly find her in the EVF and let the camera zoom in. It was a good thing because she only allowed me to take a single shot before off she went, searchng for breakfast. But the subtle golden light was beautiful and she did pose long enough to capture a portrait that I'm pleased with. Hope you like it too.

Vision

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
j2l3m7
Senior MemberPosts: 3,491Gear list
Like?
Re: A Hawk In Beautiful Morning Light Captured by the SX50
In reply to VisionLight, Jan 17, 2013

Nice photo, thanks for posting your photo.

John

j2l3m7's gear list:j2l3m7's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
silentext
Regular MemberPosts: 151Gear list
Like?

VisionLight wrote:

The sun was coming over the hills as I walked out this morning and there about 70 feet up in front of me was a hawk perched in one of my trees. She saw me but didn't flinch, so back inside I went for my SX50. Knowing that she now knew I was around, I hit the zoom assist button before I went back through the door so that I could quickly find her in the EVF and let the camera zoom in. It was a good thing because she only allowed me to take a single shot before off she went, searchng for breakfast. But the subtle golden light was beautiful and she did pose long enough to capture a portrait that I'm pleased with. Hope you like it too.

Vision

like it. very sharp image. cool portrait. still i m ignorent about the use of zoom assist button, and didnt use it. can u please inform me here how to use it? at last, thanks for sharing.

silentext's gear list:silentext's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
Steen Bay
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,188
Like?

Nice capture, and it also proves (once again) that it actually is possible to shoot at full zoom with the SX50 without upping the ISO or using a tripod

wymjym
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,285
Like?

VisionLight wrote:

Vision

Hi Vison,

It seems that the sx50 is really very capable.

I lightened your shot a bit…looking for details and they are present.

http://www.techcool.com/pstuff/116sx50b.jpg

I’ll gladly remove this image if you prefer I don’t show it.

wj

-- hide signature --

nikonfujiandricoh

Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,600Gear list
Like?

That is a great capture, Vision.  Excellent shot.  It looks like she had been sleeping there since she still has one foot up pullled into her breast feathers and is standing on one leg.  I guess she decided it was time to wake up and go look for something to eat, and you looked too big and not tasty enough.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
VisionLight
Like?
In reply to silentext, Jan 17, 2013

silentext wrote:

like it. very sharp image. cool portrait.

Thank you

still i m ignorent about the use of zoom assist button, and didnt use it. can u please inform me here how to use it? at last, thanks for sharing.

The top button where your left thumb falls when grasping the lens barrel helps you to find your subject when the lens in all the way out in its zoom range. When you press the top button, the lens automatically pulls in to reveal a wider angle of view. Place your subject right in the middle in the focus box in the wider view. Release the button and the lens automatically zooms back out with your subject now filling the screen. The amount of pull-back when you press the button can be adjusted in the "Display Area" setting in the menus. I have it set to Medium.

Hope this helps,

Vision

Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +4 more
VisionLight
Like?
In reply to Steen Bay, Jan 17, 2013

Steen Bay wrote:

Nice capture,

Thanks, Steen

and it also proves (once again) that it actually is possible to shoot at full zoom with the SX50 without upping the ISO or using a tripod

True that. It's a very capable camera.

Vision

VisionLight
Like?
In reply to wymjym, Jan 17, 2013

wymjym wrote:

Hi Vison,

The post processing looks a little overdone and I'm assuming you only did so for purposes of looking for details. If this be the only case, that's fine. Only if it's for any other use would I appreciate its removal.

Thanks,

Vision

VisionLight
Like?
In reply to j2l3m7, Jan 17, 2013

j2l3m7 wrote:

Nice photo, thanks for posting your photo.

Thank you John

wymjym
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,285
Like?

VisionLight wrote:

wymjym wrote:

Hi Vison,

The post processing looks a little overdone and I'm assuming you only did so for purposes of looking for details. If this be the only case, that's fine. Only if it's for any other use would I appreciate its removal.

Thanks,

Vision

yes, I was simply looking for what what there

wj

-- hide signature --

nikonfujiandricoh

VisionLight
Like?
In reply to Dale Buhanan, Jan 17, 2013

Dale Buhanan wrote:

That is a great capture, Vision. Excellent shot. It looks like she had been sleeping there since she still has one foot up pullled into her breast feathers and is standing on one leg. I guess she decided it was time to wake up and go look for something to eat, and you looked too big and not tasty enough.

Hey Dale. Thanks for the remarks. Yes I think you're right. When I first saw her, she was probably still asleep. That's the only reason she was still there as I went to get my SX50. The raptors here never stick around for long when they know you've seen them. Luckily I was prepared and the three seconds she gave me were enough to get her portrait. Would have pulled back the zoom a tad if I had a second chance but she was already gone from the EVF. And lucky for me, she wasn't flying straight toward me.

Ed

Lewis
Regular MemberPosts: 206Gear list
Like?

Fine grab of the local opportunity! Great cam for just such events. Like your subject's one talon up pose, also!!

Besides the overall IQ, I'd add that your photo with a twig between cam and subject is a good example of the much improved focus capabilities of the SX50 over the SX30. I don't think my SX30 would have focused quickly enough--or at all--with that limb in front of your hawk. And the manual focus even for an experienced user adds precious seconds before the shot, true of 30 and 50.

Here's a female cardinal shot that illustrates the improved SX50 focus speed and selectivity that I am enjoying. First couple of shots did focus on twigs in front, then a good focus. Example below is SOOC, no crop, no edits, just downsized for web posting.  Unlike your model, Vision, Ms. Card hung around, allowing the no limbs view that follows the twiggy shot.

Lewis

Twigs in the way focus anyway shot. SOOC

Cooperative model, some pp.

Lewis's gear list:Lewis's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS +3 more
VisionLight
Like?
In reply to Lewis, Jan 17, 2013

Twigs in the way focus anyway shot. SOOC

Cooperative model, some pp.

Lewis,

That first image in the twigs looks to be about 50-55 feet away, so good work in getting so much sharpness in the eye and beak. She's a real diva in the second image, turning right into the light to show off her best pose with the look from her eye appearing to be telling you so. Really nice light it is and a great capture.

Vision

lopinweapon
Forum MemberPosts: 82Gear list
Like?

Great shot thanks for posting it!!!

-- hide signature --

Jennifer/SX50 and loving it

lopinweapon's gear list:lopinweapon's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V
MurryG
Senior MemberPosts: 2,641Gear list
Like?

Nice find and shot Ed!  My only question is why didn't you have the SX50 with you when you first went out the door? :0)

Murry

-- hide signature --
 MurryG's gear list:MurryG's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
VisionLight
Like?
In reply to lopinweapon, Jan 17, 2013

lopinweapon wrote:

Great shot thanks for posting it!!!

Thanks, Jennifer

VisionLight
Like?
In reply to MurryG, Jan 17, 2013

MurryG wrote:

Nice find and shot Ed!

Thanks, Murry.

My only question is why didn't you have the SX50 with you when you first went out the door? :0)

Because I probably wasn't awake yet either. But my body was in AUTO mode when I hit the shutter.

Ed

30Cedar
New MemberPosts: 14
Like?

Great shot.  I took the plunge and purchased an SX50 last weekend, but have been at work all week so haven't had the time to play.  I was going to ask what settings you use in a situation where you grab the camera for a quick photo, as I thought you might have pre-set some custom settings, but I see that you were just on Auto!

Very excited to start getting out with mine soon!

Lucy

VisionLight
Like?
Lucy, the camera wasn't in AUTO
In reply to 30Cedar, Jan 17, 2013

30Cedar wrote:

Great shot.

Thanks, Lucy

I took the plunge and purchased an SX50 last weekend, but have been at work all week so haven't had the time to play. I was going to ask what settings you use in a situation where you grab the camera for a quick photo, as I thought you might have pre-set some custom settings, but I see that you were just on Auto!

Very excited to start getting out with mine soon!

No, sorry for the misconception. I was joking that my body was on AUTO, not the camera. I have not taken a single shot in AUTO yet, but I will be getting to that.

In this case the camera was in MY default settings, which i ISO 80, IS on continuous, Tv mode set to 1/500th second with Safety Shift turned on (thus the speed indicated in the EXIF), evaluative metering, EC set to -1/3, DRC set to AUTO for highlights only (shadows turned OFF), and in single shot mode. I find that for quick shots in all but dim light, this works fine for all focal lengths in most cases. When I am placing the camera in its case, I always make sure it's in these settings so that if I have to pull it out quickly, I know what all my starting points are without looking.

With practice, you of course will find what works for you.

Vision

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads