why are people complaining about OMD button size ???

Started Jan 17, 2013 | Discussions
Steve
Senior MemberPosts: 2,337Gear list
Like?
why are people complaining about OMD button size ???
Jan 17, 2013

There are millions of compacts sold which are in the higher end,with several buttons scattered around their tinyish bodies.

nobody seems to complain..

but many people here complain about the tiny buttons on the OMD.

Is it because they are coming from large bodied SLR's and they are having problems adapting ?

or are the buttons  THAT SMALL ?

Steve's gear list:Steve's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,124Gear list
Like?
Re: why are people complaining about OMD button size ???
In reply to Steve, Jan 17, 2013

Steve wrote:

There are millions of compacts sold which are in the higher end,with several buttons scattered around their tinyish bodies.

Is it because they are coming from large bodied SLR's and they are having problems adapting ?

or are the buttons THAT SMALL ?

No issues here. I have pretty normal size hands too.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Steve
Like?
In reply to Martin.au, Jan 17, 2013

good. i am thinking of such a camera, my hands are sort of normal.. i'm afraid i'd fumble around. i used many canon compacts.. s30,s95,g11 with no issues.. and i just bought a nikon p510 and also no problems..

micronean
Regular MemberPosts: 302Gear list
Like?

the buttons are small, yes, but buttons are also small on a TV remote control. People still use them.

It's a case of getting used to, nothing more, especially because the small size of the camera doesn't give you enough space for buttons, so you have to rely more on the menu.

but it's perfectly doable.

micronean's gear list:micronean's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
papillon_65
Forum ProPosts: 18,372Gear list
Like?

Steve wrote:

Some people have big hands and some people like to complain. I have average sized hands and I've never found a camera I couldn't operate. The buttons on the OMD are fine, I don't care that they are a bit squishy either, they all do what they should do, no problems here.

-- hide signature --

Any problem on earth can be solved by a well aimed Pomegranate...
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP1 Merrill Fujifilm XF1 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-T1 +3 more
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,896Gear list
Like?

Steve wrote:

You have not covered the whole specter of reasons. Another possible reason is that some folks actually USE these buttons, while millions od compact camera users use mostly only one ( the biggest)

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
Steve
Like?
In reply to papillon_65, Jan 17, 2013

I don't care that they are a bit squishy either, they all do what they should do, no problems here.

TMI ALERT:

I have no problem with that as well. Being 60 years old, i have a few 'things' which are also squishy, and i have to accomodate to that issue as well.

TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,654
Like?
I got used to them

We all have our own priorities, but I tend to separate what I can work around from what I can't work around.

I got used to the smaller buttons. And the 'interesting' menus. Still not entirely comfortable with the placement of the two thumbwheels, but I can work with them. Pity one of them wasn't the vertical thumbwheel of the EP's. Even found ways to work around the slower AF of the larger ZD lenses.

OTOH, I can't work around loss of IQ, which is why I use the larger ZD zooms on occasion - most of them have no M43 equivalent right now.

Chas2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,341Gear list
Like?

They are small and squishy and lack the tactile feel some may expect for such an expensive camera.  That was my impression at the camera store, but you are correct, I use my compact cam LX5 buttons with no issues, and the OM buttons were not particularly bothersome.

Chas2's gear list:Chas2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +17 more
markymark101
Senior MemberPosts: 1,011Gear list
Like?
Very little problem here!

Some people feel a need to complain I suppose.

The buttons are small, yes, but so is the camera.  I gave up my DSLR to get a smaller lighter camera - that's exactly what I wanted.  Don't want small buttons - buy a bigger camera - life is full of choices.  I have large hands, and I have no problem with the buttons.

The only buttons I would call "squishy" are the 4 directional buttons.  The "squishyness" apparently is the result of weather sealing.   Frankly I never noticed it until seeing complaints.  It still doesn't bother me, has zero impact on the camera's operation, and I like that my camera is weather sealed.

The only minor complaint I would lodge is the AEL and FN1 buttons are a bit too close together.  A little more separation there would be nice.

As DPReview states, operating the smallish buttons with gloves on would be a problem, but otherwise; complaints about the small buttons is nonsense IMO.  If you want a DSLR sized control layout, then well, buy a DSLR.

markymark101's gear list:markymark101's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +3 more
Mike_PEAT
Forum ProPosts: 10,496Gear list
Like?
Not so much size, but awkward to press...

The position and length of the play & Fn1, and the lack of positive feel of the directinal buttons are the issue.

I don't have an issue with the top buttons, Menu and trashcan buttons.

The info button is so-so.

It would have been smarter to make the body a little longer (OM sized), then sift the monitor over making room for slightly larger buttons, or have a column of larger buttons left of the monitor:

OM-D 122mm x 89mm x 43mm

OM-1 136mm x 83mm x 50mm

Mike_PEAT's gear list:Mike_PEAT's gear list
Lytro Light Field 16GB
Chez Wimpy
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,795Gear list
Like?
exactly
In reply to Mike_PEAT, Jan 17, 2013

Mike_PEAT wrote:

The position and length of the play & Fn1, and the lack of positive feel of the directinal buttons are the issue.

The OMD is the first camera I have owned (not P&S) that I cannot assign AF-lock to the rear button and use the camera in colder environments (ie: with gloves).  I have small hands, but even bare operation isn't fluid with the thumb scraping against the "ledge" just under the play & fn1 buttons.  AF I have set on fn2 which works alright in the cold (I rarely need "fast" AF to shot times for landscapes) but that "arch the index finger" dance is not ideal either.

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +23 more
Edward Rauschkolb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,032Gear list
Like?
Buttons are small, squishy and wheels turn to easily.

Hi,

I have to respectfully disagree with some of the comments.  I do NOT like to complain and usually my comments about cameras describe the engineering compromises that must be made in any particular camera.  (my first degree is in engineering)

I have normal sized hands, but tend to use my cameras in harsh weather.  It is why I waited for the weather sealed EM-5. The 2 small buttons (Fn1 & play) are difficult to use in bad weather and provide no tactile feedback (especially when wearing gloves.

Even more bothersome is the ease at which the wheels will move so that it is necessary to turn the camera off when placing it in a camera bag (done often in bad weather . . . and who thought placing the on=off switch in its current location was a good idea?) .  The wheels should be tighter or have a disable or lock switch.

Hand position is at best awkward whether trying to press certain buttons (again especially in harsh weathe).  The entire hand position changes when one uses the handgrip and tries to access the top buttons.

I can use the camera and indeed I have gotten "used to it" BUT this is a classic example of form OVER function.  A minimal increase in size would improve the handling vastly.  I have and use the Fuji XE-1 which is about the same size and does not cause any hand cramping.

I have used many small cameras without difficulty including the Olympus XA and currently the Panazsonic LX series.

Just because you do not have the problem, does not mean that the problem does not exist. . . merely that you have found a way to work around the problem.

Remember, part of the brilliance on the OM system (which I used for 15+ years) was that it created a small camera with controls as LARGE or larger than the then available contemporary pro cameras. The button sizes and positions IMHO on the EM-5 is simply poor design.

Ed Rauschkolb

Edward Rauschkolb's gear list:Edward Rauschkolb's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Leica M9-P Olympus E-M1
Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,495Gear list
Like?

Steve wrote:

For me it's not just that the buttons are small, it's that I can't find a comfortable way to hold the camera so my thumb falls in a good position to push the buttons. Yes I could buy the grip, but then it makes the just as big as my GH2, which I'm perfectly happy with from the point of IQ.

And yes, I do have this problem with some compacts as well.

ohmydentist
Senior MemberPosts: 1,861
Like?

I have small hand, and find the preview(play) button quite tiny.  I wonder how big handed people use that button.  ^^

I'm not complaining, because I'd rather have smaller body with small buttons than bigger body with big buttons.

-- hide signature --

^__^
Just Shoot !

sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,421
Like?
The buttons are hard to push

Steve wrote:

Not so much the size that sucks, but awkward shapes and very mushy.

FrankParis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,042Gear list
Like?

Steve wrote:

The buttons are that small. But given the size of the camera, don't see what can be done about it. In cold weather I have to wear gloves and to change settings, I have to take them off in the stinging weather. I live with it for the other virtues the camera has.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

FrankParis's gear list:FrankParis's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +7 more
ramitche
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?

Steve wrote:

No issue at all (came from Canon 40D).

ramitche's gear list:ramitche's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 70D Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +8 more
Rens
Senior MemberPosts: 1,451Gear list
Like?

The 'play' and fn1 buttons are the only problem I have, it's just not easy to press one by itself.  I've no idea why Olympus put them so close together.

-- hide signature --

Rens
There are optimists and there are realists

Rens's gear list:Rens's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +1 more
Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,483
Like?

After half a year I'm still trying to learn the E-M5 button controls by feel rather than having to look--the shutter and dials are fine. Compared to some cameras the buttons are pretty close together, not easily distinguished from one another by feel, and don't have a tactile "click" when operated--an outcome of the method of Oly's weatherproofing. IMHO it's also "missing" a couple key dedicated buttons.

I have similar issues with the far larger E-5, which I'm still learning by feel as well. By contrast, I know the E-30 intimately and dont need to take my eye from the viewfinder to operate the controls.

I suspect if the E-M5 were my only camera I'd have it memorized by now, but hopping among various cameras is making it hard for me to truly learn.

Cheers,

Rick

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads