Your 16mm (SEL16F28) examples...

Started Jan 17, 2013 | Discussions
martindesu
Contributing MemberPosts: 977Gear list
Like?
Your 16mm (SEL16F28) examples...
Jan 17, 2013

This lens gets bashed, a lot. However, I like it... quite a lot. It's relatively inexpensive, and is absolutely tiny. Combined with my NEX-C3, it's a pocket camera of outstanding quality. Corners can be a bit soft, so for those wanting sharper corners, the 10-18mm f/4 zoom looks like a safe bet, though it comes at a price (both physically and financially).

Then there's the low-light ability of my NEX-C3. This picture was taken on a very cold, dark night, using the OOC JPEG processing from the "handheld twilight" mode:

Sensoji temple, Tokyo

It's sharp enough where it counts, as is probably fit for printing onto a canvas.

Does anyone else like the 16mm (& UWA)? I would love to see some more examples from this lens.

Another low-light shot with the C3 and 16mm

All the best,

Martin

martindesu's gear list:martindesu's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-C3 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +2 more
Sony Alpha NEX-C3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Joachim Wulfers
Senior MemberPosts: 1,075Gear list
Like?
Re: Your 16mm (SEL16F28) examples...
In reply to martindesu, Jan 17, 2013

I agree with you and I like the lense as well. I have no complains about the quality of the pictures it can take. Here area couple of samples I had taken a while ago

Rue de Rivoli, Paris

Ford GT 40

War Plane Heritage Museum, Hamilton, ON

-- hide signature --

Joachim

Joachim Wulfers's gear list:Joachim Wulfers's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,822Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joachim Wulfers, Jan 17, 2013

-- hide signature --

Nex-7 with kit lenses, Contax G 35, and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
pbolli
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
In reply to Joachim Wulfers, Jan 17, 2013

Sololaki, Tbilisi, Georgia

Sololaki, Tbilisi, Georgia

I don't own this lens (yet) but I did borrow it from a fellow NEX owner in Tbilisi and took it for a spin. Not wonderful but definitely a lot better than its critics claim. I have 12X8 prints of both of these and they look fine.

-- hide signature --

olli
www.photographybyolli.com

gustabod
Senior MemberPosts: 1,444Gear list
Like?

It's fine by me also.

-- hide signature --

gustavo www.pbase.com/gustabod

gustabod's gear list:gustabod's gear list
Nikon D3S Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III
DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,819Gear list
Like?

I used to shoot way too many with the SEL16F28 + converters (now I just shoot way too many with the SEL1018).  It's kind of hard to find ones of just the SEL16F28.  But here's a couple.

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +17 more
bill s preston
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?

I quite like the lens, I've got some pretty decent shots with it and It's useful to have in the bag. Especially as it takes up very little space!

SimonOL
Contributing MemberPosts: 852Gear list
Like?
In reply to bill s preston, Jan 17, 2013

Does anyone use this lens with an N7?

I've heard this lens isn't well suited to the N7, but how are the results on this camera - are they acceptable or really poor?

SimonOL's gear list:SimonOL's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
bill s preston
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
In reply to SimonOL, Jan 17, 2013

My shots were with a Nex 7. I think it works fine, but judge for yourself.

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,184Gear list
Like?

SimonOL wrote:

Does anyone use this lens with an N7?

I've heard this lens isn't well suited to the N7, but how are the results on this camera - are they acceptable or really poor?

Below are OOC JPG from a Nex-7 with firmware V1.0. The firmware update improves the magenta caset effect a little.

Magenta cast happens outdoors under certain angles to the sun, and can be mitigated by stopping down.

Stopping down also reduces the edge softening that occurs at f/2.8.

But see for yourself - there is a hint of magenta cast in the last picture, the other pictures seem fine. Check the aperture.

Edge softening is usually not an issue - as long as there is a subject in the center.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,184Gear list
Like?
In reply to gustabod, Jan 17, 2013

gustabod wrote:

It's fine by me also.

-- hide signature --

gustavo www.pbase.com/gustabod

I like those.

I concur, the 16mm works for me as well, especially with the 12mm adapter:

I include this last picture, as it shows the edge effect softening, (with fisheye adapter)

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
borat4
Forum MemberPosts: 76
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, Jan 17, 2013

blue_skies wrote

I concur, the 16mm works for me as well, especially with the 12mm adapter:

I absolutely agree, this uwa is great !

and only 16 mm

zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,898Gear list
Like?
Great bang-for-the-buck with this lens

It's been a great pickup for me - only had it for about 6 months having been scared off from getting it due to all the poor reviews.  Kind of silly that I avoided it all this time - it's wonderfully small for when you want to minimalize the size and maximize discretion yet still perfectly capable of some lovely shots - and especially useful as an ultrawide lens when paired with the ECU1.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
flint-hill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,215
Like?
My second copy is much better ...
In reply to zackiedawg, Jan 17, 2013

I really hated this lens.  My first copy was soft, center to corners throughout the aperture range.

I got a second one in October 2012 and it's fine stopped down to f/5.6-f/8

1/80, f/8, ISO 100

1/50, f/9, ISO 800

Orion and Jupiter, with fisheye adapter

30s, f/2.8, ISO 800

tri x
Contributing MemberPosts: 666Gear list
Like?

Great Martin I like those night shots.    Here's a couple of my recent examples with the 0.75 wide adapter.

Cheers John

tri x's gear list:tri x's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +4 more
SimonOL
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, Jan 17, 2013

blue_skies wrote:

Edge softening is usually not an issue - as long as there is a subject in the center.

Cheers,
Henry

I guess you've got to be looking for issues in the corners to notice.

Corners don't look bad at all at f/8.

Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 14,761Gear list
Like?

I was one of the bashers but I found one cheap cheap cheap. I only use it at f8 and it's better on the newer NEXes with lens distortion correction. Besides mine, strangely, seems to have hybrid PDAF v.01 installed. Shows up on the menu.

I'll be comparing to my O. body-mount lens when I get the adapter, to see which one is better.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,819Gear list
Like?

SimonOL wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

Cheers,
Henry

I guess you've got to be looking for issues in the corners to notice.

Corners don't look bad at all at f/8.

Actually, the extreme corners of the SEL16F28 are bad at every aperture, and just gets somewhat less bad at f/8. It probably gets even less bad at f/9, but by that time you've crested the resolution peak of the center (f/5.6) for so long that everything is else is on a downward trajectory.

See extreme upper left corner vs. extreme left edge. Certainly not a focus issue if I can also get both my friend and the domes/Half-Dome in the background in focus.

With FCL-ECU1 UWA converter.

The thing is, it's the extreme corners. Nobody deliberately places anything of worth there unless you're a terrible photographer (few exception exist, one of which is shooting architectural lines w/UWA) or the sort of lens critic that refuses to acknowledge that this is a 1) relatively fast, 2) inexpensive, 3) wide-angle 4) pancake lens with 5) a lot of versatility given the terrific FCL-ECU1/ECF1 adapters.

It has issues, for sure, both corner smearing and chromatic aberration. But it also has a lot of other strengths that make up for it. If you're the sort of person who wants something just to point at it and feel that it is good (so that you feel better about your own "standards" and fantasize about how well you can potentially shoot)... then the SEL16F28 is probably not for you. But if you're the sort that can take an imperfect tool and work around its pecadillos, you can get some great results with the SEL16F28.

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +17 more
SimonOL
Like?
In reply to DtEW, Jan 17, 2013

DtEW wrote:

It has issues, for sure, both corner smearing and chromatic aberration. But it also has a lot of other strengths that make up for it. If you're the sort of person who wants something just to point at it and feel that it is good (so that you feel better about your own "standards" and fantasize about how well you can potentially shoot)... then the SEL16F28 is probably not for you. But if you're the sort that can take an imperfect tool and work around its pecadillos, you can get some great results with the SEL16F28.

I like to think I'm the latter!

I'm thinking that shooting in 16:9 would effectively crop off the effected corners?

Like you say, the lens is cheap (especially used). Accepting the limitations and the fact it seems to be the cheapest way to get a uwa lens, it looks like a decent addition to the kit lens which isn't great at 18mm.  Agree?

thesilverfox
Regular MemberPosts: 105Gear list
Like?

thesilverfox's gear list:thesilverfox's gear list
Ricoh Caplio R5 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads