Help w/ New PC Specs; Lightroom and Photoshop : Use Different or Same Sratch and Data Disks?

Started Jan 17, 2013 | Questions
grumpycarebear
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Help w/ New PC Specs; Lightroom and Photoshop : Use Different or Same Sratch and Data Disks?
Jan 17, 2013

Hi everyone!  I'm a first time participant, but long time reader of the forum.

I use a D700, but hope to purchase a D800 in the near future.

Right now, I'm on the hunt for a new PC and at the moment, I'm very interested in a HP Z620 Workstation for both Lightroom and Photoshop CS6 usage and occasional gaming.  In terms of its configuration, I'm looking at:

OS: Windows 7, 64bitProcessor: Intel Xeon Processor E5-2630, 6 coresMemory: 32 GB RAMVideo Card: Nividia Quadro 2000
I'm in need of help from those who know more about computers and photoediting than I do.
1. Would you increase memory to 48 or 64 GB RAM?  Or is 32 GB more than sufficient?
2. Is it overkill to increase to an 8 core processor?  I've heard that for Photoshop CS6, 8 cores might offer diminishing returns not to mention raise the price of the computer substantially. 
3. I would love to get the Quadro 4000 video card, but it's outside my budget.  Will the Quadro 2000 be more than adequate for my usage?
4. With regards to storage, is it preferable to have separate scratch disks for LR and PS or is one shared scratch disk preferable?  And would a 300 SSD be very good?
5.) Also related to storage, is it preferable to have one data drive used for storing files/data for both LR and PS or should each program have separate data drives?
6. Finally, do you recommend a separate data drive for all of my other files (non-photos) an miscellaneous documents?
Thank you so much for any advice you can offer.  I'm hoping to configure a much better PC than the one I have right now.  Thanks again!!
-DBC
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Olympus E-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads