Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 247 January/16/2013

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions
LouHolland
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,158
Like?
Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 247 January/16/2013
Jan 16, 2013

* Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 247 January/16/2013 *

Welcome to the Wednesday Comments and Critique (No Theme) thread!

We’re continuing the great tradition of this C&C thread because we’re convinced that looking at and talking about images is vital for better photography, and also useful for understanding and appreciating our gear.

The idea is simple: you post an image and get critique on it, and in return give other people your opinion of their images. Or vice versa: you give others your honest feedback, and in return deserve the right to post your own picture for C&C.

Generally, you should post only one single image for C&C. As an exception, you can post two pictures resulting from one shutter release but with different treatment (for example a color and a black & white version, or a different crop) for us to choose from and comment on.

TWO RULES:

1.If you post an image, you critique at least one other image.

2.Keep your comments honest but polite; if you don’t care for an image, try to explain why. This is neither a “Good shot!” nor an image-bashing thread.

Any style, any camera. It is a peer-to-peer photography workshop!

Feedback is guaranteed (for up to 48 hours after the thread has started)! Though keep in mind that the thread tends to be busiest during the first 24 hours or so, so later image posts may get little feedback.

HOW TO PLAY:

1.Turn on "Threaded view" and reply to this post with a web-sized image. Change the title so we can sort different images out easily! 2.Get back to this thread in a minute, an hour or a day or so, and…

3.…still in threaded view, look at one or more pictures of your choice, click reply and critique it.

4.Remember to add the EXIF if your image doesn't embed it as this may help

5.Image posters: please consider telling us what your own opinion on your image is. What prompted you to click that shutter button? What did you see? Why do you like the result? You don't have to explain, but it might be interesting.

6.You are very welcome to post a group reply to the feedback you have gotten. This could include a new version of your image, taking on board the comments received. Please try not to reply individually to every comment so as not to fill up the thread on your own.

IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST TIME, WELCOME! AND BE SURE TO READ THIS:

•The critique you give (point 3 from the above list) is vital. What was your first impression? What catches your eye about an image? Why? What do you like, and what distracts you? What would you change?

•Fiddle with the image in your head - composition, perspective, color balance, exposure. If the poster of the image does not object, you may even consider downloading his image and fiddling with it for real, to illustrate your point.

•More general feedback is also welcome. Do you know something about taking the same sort of image that would make matters easier - share your own as an example in your reply. Encourage - it is a scary business putting your work up for other people to judge!

•Finally what is the verdict? Waste-bin? Snapshot? Could be better? Family Album? Frame on wall? Poster-size frame on wall? Billboard? Reuters? World Press Photo? National Geographic? Museum? (pick your own superlative here)

Here is last (week's) thread: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50558958

One of the first replies is “The Related Post”. This is the place to post your general, not image-specific musings about this great enterprise called the C&C Thread.

Another of the first replies includes a link to all previous threads. This is called "Our Archives Vault".

Best Regards,

LouHolland
Like?
* The RELATED post *
In reply to LouHolland, Jan 16, 2013

* The RELATED post *

This is a placeholder for anything related to the C&C threads. And we do mean anything: feel free to start a discussion about the threads, or how you felt when your image was trashed by some mean know-it-all (probably not in this thread, though), or how it feels trying to say something polite about a cr@ppy image posted for review (tough one).

This is also the place to make arrangements and share ideas for keeping this thread alive and kicking. Or for starting a new "Photo Essay" or "Series" thread, as has been suggested in the past (plenty of “Weekly” this-and-that threads around, so why not?).

The C&C group will be more than happy to consider all input.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LouHolland
Like?
A Personal Note..

Well last weeks no C&C thread and as I'm also aware of the troubles lately, I propose: let starts it up again as it would be a pity that such a nice and important and well visited thread will die due to the abcense of an OP and maybe Claus will come back one day, I don't know but, I find it hard to believe he stops this without a reason.

Anyway, I will start it up for now untill we find one or two others who are willing to lead this important weekly thread as a tandem or just one who like to commit himself/herself for let say half a year to be the OP. Lets rotated the OP function after that if there is enough interest.

An other point: I did not have myself beloved to some due to some statements I made from time to time and I am aware of that but, this threads doesn't count about me it is all about photography in all it's aspects and that's what counts. Also I'm not here to comment on all contributions, I am only one you and thus one of the contributers and will act by the existing rules of this thread as everybody else.

This thread has a long story and is well known for it's sometimes unsalted critics and prais all meant to help each other to improve there images on a strictly personal opinion and that is a great thing.

Well as long as our Olympus forum is alive let's take care all together that this thread is present and alive.

I don't know how the achieve section works but, maybe Roel can enlighten that part.

So for now I am being your host untill someone feels called to take this out of my hands and continue this weekly C&C thread.

Cheers Lou

LouHolland
Like?
Lithograph..

Lithograph

-

Tanks for Looking&Commenting

Lou

a Chap
Regular MemberPosts: 357
Like?
Re: A Personal Note..
In reply to LouHolland, Jan 17, 2013

Nice one, Lou.

Best wishes,

a Chap
Like?
Aquae de Ianus

Waynecam
Forum ProPosts: 12,681Gear list
Like?
Triangles

These shapes did not occur to me when I took this image. Only later did I notice the four  converging triangles resulting from a cropped image of the top of this church steeple. I think the sunlight (from the left) adds to the effect. Your take?

-- hide signature --
Brad Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,802
Like?
mistake
-- hide signature --

Brad Ross

Brad Ross
Like?
Early Morning Conversation

These woman, sweep in the early hours, the squares of old Havana, I was sitting on a bench, using the flip down screen with live view so the camerea was not up to my eye, yep,the lower shoe should have been entirely in frame

-- hide signature --

Brad Ross

CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,612
Like?
Blues Singer

This is from a recent shoot of acoustic blues singer Kelly Joe Phelps. He wanted colored lighting, changing with certain songs, so this was both an extra challenge and extra fun compared to most of the shoots I do for this client. This one has grown on me as it seems to reflect the introspective nature of most of Kelly's songs.

E520 zd40-150 @ 110 mm 1/60 @ f5.2 ISO 800.

-- hide signature --

Some people operate cameras. Others use them to create images. There is a difference.
http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/
http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

a Chap
Like?
Re: Early Morning Conversation
In reply to Brad Ross, Jan 17, 2013

Hello Brad,

A very appealing shot, nicely composed.  You've captured the interaction very well and I really like the placement of the ubiquitous dog.  A good example of 35mm being a great focal length for street, too.

I feel that your shot would be well suited to black and white to subdue the elements that distract, maybe something like this...

I'll remove this in a couple of days, or asap if you object.

What do you think?

The cropping of the shoe is of no importance for me; the picture is elsewhere.  Infact, I think the bottom of the frame would benefit from darkening to reduce the distraction potential of her white shoes and guide the eye out of the empty space and back to the subject.  If you feel strongly about the shoe and have the RAW file, RAW developers based on DCRAW allow you to see the extra pixels on the sides of the image not seen in other software, and might allow you some extra leeway (if you haven't used one already...)

All the best,

Brad Ross
Like?
Re: Lithograph..

nice, and the reason you tiltled that on the lower surface, is Why?, as opposed to have it strraight?,

-- hide signature --

Brad Ross

Brad Ross
Like?
Re: Early Morning Conversation
In reply to a Chap, Jan 17, 2013

I like your B&W conversion,, and when I post again, please feel again, to change any of my images, I think, it is great, that  people take any of my images and imagine another way of doing it,, That makes me think of another way of appoaching the image,

-- hide signature --

Brad Ross

Brad Ross
Like?
Re: Blues Singer
In reply to CharlesB58, Jan 17, 2013

at first, study, I do not think I would change, it,, although I imagine you have or will experiment with a B&W version, not to replace the original, but another take on this image,,

-- hide signature --

Brad Ross

Waynecam
Forum ProPosts: 12,681Gear list
Like?
Re: Blues Singer
In reply to CharlesB58, Jan 17, 2013

I like it a lot. And I think you are right, it matches the mood of the artist as he works his way through the song. Nice work, Do you think it would look better in B&W.

-- hide signature --
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,165Gear list
Like?
Arching Through the Night

The Colorado Street Bridge built in 1913 over the Arroyo Seco in Pasadena, CA. No, the frame is not tilted. The view is upward and the piers are not vertical. The bridge deck S-curves and drops across the arroyo. Every arch is a different size and shape. The bases are not parallel as the arches rotate through their radii. It was unique and an engineering marvel when it was built. E-5 and 11-22 mm lens on a tripod. Click on the image for a much larger, sharper image.

Arching Through the Night as a storm passes

-- hide signature --

Dave
No thought exists without an image. Socrates
http://whaleshark.smugmug.com

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
dave gaines
Like?
Re: Lithograph..

Like a wood block print or something. I like the effect. I remember your shot of this through the rain soaked glass with bottles on the sill. You must have gone outside for this one?

-- hide signature --

Dave

Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
dave gaines
Like?
Re: Triangles
In reply to Waynecam, Jan 17, 2013

Triangles are the basic building block of trusses. I like these 4 triangles. I like how the valley rises straight through the cross. The side lighting adds to the shape and depth of these lements, helping to define them. Nice sunny shot.

-- hide signature --

Dave

SergeyGreen
Contributing MemberPosts: 582
Like?
It is very clear what I am looking at.
In reply to a Chap, Jan 17, 2013

It makes the frame instantly likeable.

-- hide signature --

-sergey

SergeyGreen
Contributing MemberPosts: 582
Like?
Looking backwards

The shadows and rather unnatural for the snow colouring (through the glass) I thought made it somewhat different.

-- hide signature --

-sergey

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads