Sony A77 Successor - What are you hoping for?

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions
SthlmKid
Regular MemberPosts: 144Gear list
Like?
Sony A77 Successor - What are you hoping for?
Jan 16, 2013

Hey guys.

I'm currenctly with a A55 which I've had since release.

Very satisfied.

Although Im planning to upgrade eventually and the next upgraded A77 would probably fit me well.

What are you hoping for in the next A79(?) compared to todays A77?

What can we expect?

My biggest wish is ofc better ISO-performance.

Will we see a new upgraded sensor?

All the well.

SthlmKid's gear list:SthlmKid's gear list
Sony RX100 II
Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Marco Cinnirella
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,436Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony A77 Successor - What are you hoping for?
In reply to SthlmKid, Jan 16, 2013

SthlmKid wrote:

Hey guys.

I'm currenctly with a A55 which I've had since release.

Very satisfied.

Although Im planning to upgrade eventually and the next upgraded A77 would probably fit me well.

What are you hoping for in the next A79(?) compared to todays A77?

What can we expect?

My biggest wish is ofc better ISO-performance.

Will we see a new upgraded sensor?

All the well.

I think the a77 is a superb camera already - what could they upgrade? Yes, it would have to be the sensor. I really, really hope they do not go for even more MP. I guess they won't go for less as that would not make marketing sense. So, better high ISO, that is really the only fault with the a77 isn't it? AUTO ISO in Manual woul dbe nice, and a port over of the quick navi interface from the a99 would be nice (I have an a700 and quick navi is awesome). Oh, and a reduction in price please Adjustment of price point to make it more competetive with C and N models would be appreciated, especially in Europe ! I hope they don't look for more gimmicks like the intelligent portrait croppingk, etc., etc..

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A57 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Benarm
Regular MemberPosts: 130Gear list
Like?
My long list for A79

My long list for A79(?):

Must have

- improved sensor that gives at least one stop better noise performance at ISO3200+

- higher capture buffer, current buffer is way too small for 12fps

- allow the use remote control for all shooting modes!

- option to completely disable noise reduction

- ability to customize the Movie, Zoom and ? buttons

- tethering! 'nuff said

Nice to have

- Improve usability of the UI to get rid of those annoying JPEG only messages, for example, by allowing to give secondary functions to buttons when the primary function is not possible

- Improved and enhanced bracketing features

RAW HDR mode with multiple RAW files and one final JPEG

- more controls on how the histogram in live view is displayed (size, highlights and shadow sections, etc)

- Audio VU meters with volume control for video recording

- support for iOS/Android app control such as "DSLR Camera Remote"

- Will trade 3D Panorama for Timelapse mode! Common Sony, even NEX bodies have it!

If Sony does even 1/3 of these, I'll pay MSRP prices

Benarm's gear list:Benarm's gear list
Sony RX100 II Apple iPhone 5
Amateur Sony Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 5,320Gear list
Like?

I am less likely will buy A77 replacement since I already have A99 and Canon 7D but anyway here is what I think the next A77 must have in order to compete with the upcoming 7D Mark II and D8000:

1) clean ISO at 1600, fully useable at 3200, even at expense of 12 bit only RAW.

2) auto ISO in manual mode, with option to select minimum shutter speed.

3) AF-D and AF-range feature borrowed from A99. This will set it apart from competitor. That mean get rid of "?" button.

4) deeper buffer, at least double what's current offering.

5) better AF micro adjustment, ability to fine tune wide end and tele end separately.

6) faster processor, in order to reduce EVF lag. I am OK with the idea of reducing frame rate to 10FPS if EBF slide show can be largely eliminated.

7) duo SD cards and smart recording management.

8) last but not least, don't ever price it above $1499.

Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list:Amateur Sony Shooter's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A99 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +6 more
philbot
Contributing MemberPosts: 844
Like?
In reply to Amateur Sony Shooter, Jan 16, 2013

Amateur Sony Shooter wrote:

I am less likely will buy A77 replacement since I already have A99 and Canon 7D but anyway here is what I think the next A77 must have in order to compete with the upcoming 7D Mark II and D8000:

1) clean ISO at 1600, fully useable at 3200, even at expense of 12 bit only RAW.

2) auto ISO in manual mode, with option to select minimum shutter speed.

3) AF-D and AF-range feature borrowed from A99. This will set it apart from competitor. That mean get rid of "?" button.

4) deeper buffer, at least double what's current offering.

5) better AF micro adjustment, ability to fine tune wide end and tele end separately.

6) faster processor, in order to reduce EVF lag. I am OK with the idea of reducing frame rate to 10FPS if EBF slide show can be largely eliminated.

7) duo SD cards and smart recording management.

8) last but not least, don't ever price it above $1499.

Agree with those.. well thought out..

I'd also like to see the software improved such that you can select MFNR and other JPEG only stuff even when set to RAW + JPEG (have an OSD element showing RAW with a line through it while you are in that mode would alert the user to the fact the images won't be saved in RAW)

Maybe consider a hybrid SLR/SLT design (translucent mirror can flip out the way like conventional SLR mirror), that'd improve ISO performance for those that absolutely need it to match best in class of that generation

More flexible video mode, allowing AF when light is sufficient and not fix the aperture, ISO3200 would be nice just to get better indoor exposure even if detail is rubbish, and a higher bitrate would always be welcome if it translates to better detail

I'd also like to see a 'lock' button that locks the front/rear dials (software feature) something that's handy in the studio that affects a lot of DSLRs, accidentally changing shutterspeed/aperture in Manual mode is something I keep doing..

Tethering with WiFi..

goetz48
Senior MemberPosts: 2,607Gear list
Like?

1. Better low light performance - could even sacrifice Mp for that.

2. Tethered operation from PC/laptop/tablet via USB or Wifi. Why has my old A2 this feature, and A77 not? For studio operation or

3. At least 3 user specific settings of all parameters (not only exposure). For action shooting, low light stills, landscape. Should include review time, review on/off, and similar menue parameters.

4. P mode (especially with SSS on) should provide longer exposure time for smaller aperture & ISO. Perhaps 'selectable P mode balance' could be the solution.

5. Focus limiter for all lenses

6. Larger Buffer.

goetz48's gear list:goetz48's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
fjbyrne
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,201
Like?
Here are 3 things the A77 should have had...
  1. Dual Memory card slots (Like the A700 had - doesn't need to be CF)
  2. Tethering support (like the A700 had but should be improved with SLT)
  3. Auto-ISO in Manual mode (like ALL cameras should have had starting with the A100 - I would prefer an AS mode and leave M alone)

I think it should also have most of the A99 features as well.

PeteC21
Contributing MemberPosts: 542Gear list
Like?

Similarly to the OP, I had the a580 for a couple of years and recently upgraded to the a77.  Jumped on the $300 price reduction at the start of the Christmas shopping season.

I've read Gray's a77 book and been using the a77 when opp's were available and starting to get a good handle on how to use it but not enough to point out its shortcomings.

These are great suggestions to the OP, and the a77 community overall, so let's hope Sony listens and incorporates them in the rumored replacement coming later this year.  

-- hide signature --

"If I knew how to take a good photograph, I'd do it every time." - Robert Doisneau

PeteC21's gear list:PeteC21's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A77 Sony a6000 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Tamron 18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 Di III VC +11 more
goetz48
Senior MemberPosts: 2,607Gear list
Like?
In reply to goetz48, Jan 16, 2013

Oh, yes, and:

7. Level gauge and histogram should be possible together.

8. The flash problem.

goetz48's gear list:goetz48's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
TomvL
Contributing MemberPosts: 549
Like?

Better tracking (for objects coming toward you).

Better High ISO.

Ed at Ridersite
Forum ProPosts: 15,601
Like?
In reply to Amateur Sony Shooter, Jan 16, 2013

Amateur Sony Shooter wrote:

I don't think the A-77 is all that bad at ISO-1600 and even at ISO-3200 it can provide perfectly usable results.  One just has to get the exposure right.  To make my point:

Male House Finch  ISO-1600

Eastern Chipmunk - ISO-3200

-- hide signature --

AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/blog
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

Rovers
Regular MemberPosts: 207Gear list
Like?

Some of the above would be nice, particularly the video/audio items.

But adding clean HDMI output would be a very attractive addition, and easy to do.

Mike

-- hide signature --

Images of Nature, Landscapes, Wildlife...

Rovers's gear list:Rovers's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony 2.0x Teleconverter Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +6 more
cgarrard
Forum ProPosts: 14,420Gear list
Like?
This is a great and realistic list
In reply to Benarm, Jan 16, 2013

Benarm wrote:

My long list for A79(?):

Must have

- improved sensor that gives at least one stop better noise performance at ISO3200+

- higher capture buffer, current buffer is way too small for 12fps

- allow the use remote control for all shooting modes!

- option to completely disable noise reduction

- ability to customize the Movie, Zoom and ? buttons

- tethering! 'nuff said

Nice to have

- Improve usability of the UI to get rid of those annoying JPEG only messages, for example, by allowing to give secondary functions to buttons when the primary function is not possible

- Improved and enhanced bracketing features

- RAW HDR mode with multiple RAW files and one final JPEG

- more controls on how the histogram in live view is displayed (size, highlights and shadow sections, etc)

- Audio VU meters with volume control for video recording

- support for iOS/Android app control such as "DSLR Camera Remote"

- Will trade 3D Panorama for Timelapse mode! Common Sony, even NEX bodies have it!

If Sony does even 1/3 of these, I'll pay MSRP prices

Hopefully others take note of it.

Karl Scharf
Senior MemberPosts: 3,059Gear list
Like?

Of all the 'wish list' features given here, non of them are all that important to me.

The A77 was a huge step up from the A700, and it will take some brand new technologies to eventually come up with a replacement for the A77.

I want to be totally blown away with that replacement!

Small incremental upgrades are a trademark of Nikon and Canon, not Sony.

-- hide signature --

Karl Scharf >>> ( Sony SLT-A77, Rokinon 8mm, Sigma 10-20 f4.0-5.6, Sigma 18-250 f3.5-6.3, Sigma 50-500 f4.5-6.3 OS, Minolta 70-210 f4.0, Minolta 50 f1.7, Kenko 1.4x DGX ) <<<

Karl Scharf's gear list:Karl Scharf's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
Alphamale77
Regular MemberPosts: 240Gear list
Like?
Re: My long list for A79
In reply to Benarm, Jan 16, 2013

+1 for

- increase buffer size

-tether

-useable iso 6400

DONT" CHANGE THE FLASH SHOE

Alphamale77's gear list:Alphamale77's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +6 more
digititus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,252
Like?

What you're hoping for, and what Sony decides is best for you, are two different things!  And it would seem from the Japan sales figures just released for 2012, the A77 and A99 have missed the mark with DSLR buyers.  Sony finished a very distant third!

danny006
Contributing MemberPosts: 853Gear list
Like?

1. slide show effect at 8/12fps

2. buffer, especially at 12fps

3. less noise at +ISO1600

-- hide signature --

www.alex-digitalpics.be by Sony

danny006's gear list:danny006's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD
Spillicus
Contributing MemberPosts: 678Gear list
Like?
In reply to digititus, Jan 16, 2013

digititus wrote:

What you're hoping for, and what Sony decides is best for you, are two different things! And it would seem from the Japan sales figures just released for 2012, the A77 and A99 have missed the mark with DSLR buyers. Sony finished a very distant third!

Very true, and remember Sony really wants to sell you a new TV, and 3D hasn't made many people want to upgrade.  I'd expect to see 4k video sometime in the next couple of years, whether you really care about it or not.

I'm not sure the fact that Sony is a distant 3rd in DSLR sales means they've missed the mark; there is a lot of inertia in that market, as people who have bought into Canon and Nikon systems will be slow to change.  They're probably looking at how they're doing relative to A700 and A900 market share, which seems like it's favorable, and how they're doing competing at the lower end of the market where they can first get people into the A-mount.  I'd be interested more in how the A37/57/65 are doing relative to Canon and Nikon as a sign of how Sony is really doing; if they are grabbing a bigger share on the lower end of the market that's the best indicator for future growth.

Spillicus's gear list:Spillicus's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM
Dave Oddie
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,805
Like?
Re: Here are 3 things the A77 should have had...
In reply to fjbyrne, Jan 16, 2013

fjbyrne wrote:

1. Dual Memory card slots (Like the A700 had - doesn't need to be CF)
  2. Tethering support (like the A700 had but should be improved with SLT)
  3. Auto-ISO in Manual mode (like ALL cameras should have had starting with the A100 - I would prefer an AS mode and leave M alone)

I think it should also have most of the A99 features as well.

If you mean things like AF-D from the A99 then yes I'd expect that kid of technology to trickle down.

Not bothered about 1.  2 & 3 would be nice to have but not essential for me.

One of the things they could do is use the vacant position in the Fn menu to add a SSS on/off feature or better still make the ? button customizsble with that as one of the options.  Not sure why they couldn't do at least the first one with a firmware upgrade now never mind in an A79.

I have a feeling though we will have to wait a long time for a new model and to be honest that wouldn't bother me at all given how capable the A77 is.

In fact I am not sure holding off buying now in the hope some features a buyer particularly wants will actually materialise in a new model is that sensible.  With Sony they could even remove some useful stuff that's in the A77 in the interests of "market segmentation" over a lower priced FF model.

zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,898Gear list
Like?

I'd personally be more inclined to consider moving to the SLTs as a replacement for my A580 if they could more closely match the primary things I like about the A580; specifically:

Improve the overall refresh rate/display speed/panning accuracy and speed of the EVF to close the gap from OVF while still offering all the EVF advantages

Figure out a way to significantly reduce the power draw the EVF has, or significantly improve battery life, to more closely match DSLR battery life of 1,000 CIPA shots or more.

Offer a mirror-up mode for the most extreme high ISO needs - preferably one that even automatically flips the mirror up before shooting in a traditional DSLR type mode so it could still AF and deliver an EVF view but take the shot sans mirror.

That's about it.  I strongly considered the A77, and the A99 is interesting too, and find they'd both suitably replace or even improve upon my A580 in almost every measure...but I still find the above 3 points very important to a big portion of my photography, so those areas are where I'd love to see the most improvement to make the SLT feel like a near-zero compromise replacement for a DSLR *for me*.

I shoot with an EVF frequently, so I do know the advantages and disadvantages, and I also know I could work around the battery issue by buying more batteries and switching more frequently, but in an ideal world those would be issues directly addressed and improved with an A77 replacement that would make me likely choose it as my next larger body.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +24 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads