Today's entertainment: comments on the DPR Canon SX50 review...

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions
chillgreg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,022Gear list
Like?
Today's entertainment: comments on the DPR Canon SX50 review...
Jan 16, 2013
 chillgreg's gear list:chillgreg's gear list
Sony RX100 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
harry cannoli
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,293Gear list
Like?
Re: Today's entertainment: comments on the DPR Canon SX50 review...
In reply to chillgreg, Jan 16, 2013

1200mm. Nice.  It looks like a nice camera, even if the lens isn't a constant f/2.8. I shot Alcatraz from Treasure Island with a nice long "L". Take it from me, that lens is resolving serious detail on the long end. Very serious detail.

Rich

ice nine photography
Take only photographs, leave only footprints.

harry cannoli's gear list:harry cannoli's gear list
Olympus C-700 UZ Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 350D +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
harry cannoli
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,293Gear list
Like?
Actually..
In reply to harry cannoli, Jan 16, 2013

harry cannoli wrote:

1200mm. Nice. It looks like a nice camera, even if the lens isn't a constant f/2.8. I shot Alcatraz from Treasure Island with a nice long "L". Take it from me, that lens is resolving serious detail on the long end. Very serious detail.

Rich

ice nine photography

Read the review, examined full size images. Some are nice, others are loaded with digital "crunchies". Should be interesting to see what folks get out of this camera.

Rich

ice nine photography

harry cannoli's gear list:harry cannoli's gear list
Olympus C-700 UZ Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS 350D +9 more
Brue
Senior MemberPosts: 1,109
Like?
Re: Actually..
In reply to harry cannoli, Jan 16, 2013

Plenty of photos in this forum, I don't believe they are as crisp.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/1010

Thanks,

Bruce

Sunset!

quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,183Gear list
Like?
In reply to harry cannoli, Jan 17, 2013

I've shot with both the SX50 (my dad's) and the FZ200 (my tele backup to my Sony NEX-5N). We bought them at around the same time and my FZ200 was $10 cheaper (I have better camera contacts than my dad!).

I haven't had the time to do any kind of side-by-side tripod testing, and the FZ200 being a backup camera was relatively under-used (or handed to my brother-in-law to use), but after 3 weeks in Africa with both of them, my opinion is this:

1) SX50 can reach far further than the FZ200.  Goes without saying.  Distant birds on an island across the lake?  No problem.  Jupiter and its 4 biggest moons?  Shot them (if blurrily).

2) It has slightly nicer SOOC JPEGs than the FZ200.  But that's where its advantages end.

In RAW, either's images to me were compromised by their small sensors.  Whatever slight advantage the SX50 had in JPEG, I didn't notice it much in RAW.  Both required work, and AFAICT (I'm still in the middle of going through some 8000+ photos I took), the end results should be indistinguishable.

The FZ200 build quality is better, the EVF is way better, the handling/manual controls (I am usually shooting in M) are much better, especially for video.  The AF felt faster, but I'm not sure whether it was the light or the actual engineering.  In fact in video I even prefer the FZ200 to my NEX-5N - the colors aren't as good perhaps, but the IS is better, and the handling is way better, the AF is better (and video MF is actually not too bad), and of course it has a single-lens solution for any range.

Overall, unless you need the 1200mm, I would pick the FZ200 any day of the week over the SX50.  The main advantage is simply that the FZ200 can shoot more standard kinds of things in more kinds of situations/lighting.  IQ-wise, they're both compact sensors and a Fuji or RX100 or Nikon 1 will blow them all away without a sweat.  The tiny difference between the two is nothing compared to going up a few notches in the sensor size department and really overblown from the Canon fanatics who are clutching for some advantage over the camera.  These small differences can often be overcome just by the 2-stop advantage of f2.8 on the FZ200 - it means lower ISO for longer, and therefore better dynamic range, faster shutter, etc.

Then there's the better handling. The FZ200 is DSLR-like, and except for the plasticky dial, the rest of it is a joy to use.  The Canon lacks a lot of useful additional manual controls and has the same plasticky dial.  Now if you compared the FZ150 and the SX50 the advantage goes Canon's way, but the FZ200 has really changed the game.

My hunch is that Panasonic does not fear crowding into the DSLR category the way Canon does. For Canon, this is because a large number of DSLR users (who got the camera because people told them to, not because they knew how to use them) would be equally fine just using bridge cameras, but this is bad for Canon who make more money off the DSLRs.  So they need to keep a clear divide in functionality between their bridge cameras and DSLRs.  However the kind of buyer who goes for Panasonic's DSLR-like cameras (GH, G series) are likely to have given the market a lot of serious thought before settling on those cameras (and therefore unlikely to see the FZ200 as a serious alternative) and so there's a lot lower risk of cannibalization across market segments for Panasonic.  Hence their all-out-efforts on the FZ200, which I'm happy to have bought to support this trend.

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
tbaker
Regular MemberPosts: 434
Like?
In reply to quezra, Jan 17, 2013

quezra wrote:

My hunch is that Panasonic does not fear crowding into the DSLR category the way Canon does. For Canon, this is because a large number of DSLR users (who got the camera because people told them to, not because they knew how to use them) would be equally fine just using bridge cameras, but this is bad for Canon who make more money off the DSLRs. So they need to keep a clear divide in functionality between their bridge cameras and DSLRs. However the kind of buyer who goes for Panasonic's DSLR-like cameras (GH, G series) are likely to have given the market a lot of serious thought before settling on those cameras (and therefore unlikely to see the FZ200 as a serious alternative) and so there's a lot lower risk of cannibalization across market segments for Panasonic. Hence their all-out-efforts on the FZ200, which I'm happy to have bought to support this trend.

And there lies problem. Panasonic markets the their m4/3 as the better/higher end camera, while the FZ lines is swept away because you but it once you are pretty much set for the life of the camera. On the other hand with their m4/3 you are forced to get something besides the kit lens to get within 2 stops of the FZ in terms of performance. They have no incentive to tell users that the FZ camera line is actually at the top of their camera line. Canon on the other hand doesn't care because they are making hand over fist in cash from suckering people into lenses they may not need. Think about it, one needs to spend at around $1000 at least get in the same stadium as the FZ200 in total performance.

Now get this off topic thread out of the Panasonic compact forum(seriously they need to make a forum just for the FZ).

privateman
Regular MemberPosts: 475Gear list
Like?
Re: Today's entertainment: comments on the DPR Canon SX50 review...
In reply to chillgreg, Jan 17, 2013

chillgreg wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/01/15/canon-powershot-sx50-hs-review/comments

I'm tired of these useless postings that have nothing to do with a single Panasonic camera. Why are you trolling around here?

I filed a complaint for this thread for trolling and hope that others will follow in doing so. For now I chose to ignore your postings.

privateman's gear list:privateman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 +1 more
chillgreg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,022Gear list
Like?
Wow! It's called the Panasonic COMMUNITY and I have as much right to participate as you. Good day!
In reply to privateman, Jan 17, 2013

privateman wrote:

chillgreg wrote:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/01/15/canon-powershot-sx50-hs-review/comments

I'm tired of these useless postings that have nothing to do with a single Panasonic camera. Why are you trolling around here?

I filed a complaint for this thread for trolling and hope that others will follow in doing so. For now I chose to ignore your postings.

-- hide signature --

Apparently Neil Armstrong's parents are Eskimos, and the correct version of his famous statement is actually "The igloo has landed"!!

chillgreg's gear list:chillgreg's gear list
Sony RX100 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads