imac and lightroom 4 problem - how is aperture - thoughts

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions
lou Capeloto
Contributing MemberPosts: 568
Like?
imac and lightroom 4 problem - how is aperture - thoughts
Jan 16, 2013

Hi

I am currently using an Imac and lightroom 4 consistently seems to hang up

Also have Mountain lion

very frustrating

Have Nik plugin which works fine and photoshop

have followed the various threads regarding optimizing lightroom 4 and have followed them still problem

My question is if anyone has both and will I experience less hangup problems with aperture

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

Lc

-- hide signature --

www.corot.smugmug.com

webfrasse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,765
Like?
Re: imac and lightroom 4 problem - how is aperture - thoughts
In reply to lou Capeloto, Jan 16, 2013

lou Capeloto wrote:

Hi

I am currently using an Imac and lightroom 4 consistently seems to hang up

Also have Mountain lion

very frustrating

Have Nik plugin which works fine and photoshop

have followed the various threads regarding optimizing lightroom 4 and have followed them still problem

My question is if anyone has both and will I experience less hangup problems with aperture

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

Lc

-- hide signature --

www.corot.smugmug.com

What kind of Mac? Amount of Ram? Disk? My Car doesn't start, why?

-- hide signature --

Mikael

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lou Capeloto
Contributing MemberPosts: 568
Like?
Re: imac and lightroom 4 problem - how is aperture - thoughts
In reply to webfrasse, Jan 16, 2013

sorry to hear about your car

Anyhow, the computer is an IMac

OSX 10.8.2

Processor 3.06 GH2 Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 4gb

1067 Mh2 DDR 3

Hope this helps

Thanks

LC

-- hide signature --

www.corot.smugmug.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jen Yates
Senior MemberPosts: 1,281
Like?
Re: imac and lightroom 4 problem - how is aperture - thoughts
In reply to lou Capeloto, Jan 16, 2013

lou Capeloto wrote:

Memory 4gb

Use Activity Monitor to see how much RAM you're using. 4GB isn't a great deal these days and I find my 16GB machine will normally use between 8GB and 12GB depending on what apps I have running.

As I'm sure Activity Monitor will show you using all of your 4GB of RAM then I would certainly look at adding some more RAM no matter what software you use.

But if LR is actually locking up (Crashing?) I'd look at plugins.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lou Capeloto
Contributing MemberPosts: 568
Like?
Re: imac and lightroom 4 problem - how is aperture - thoughts
In reply to Jen Yates, Jan 16, 2013

Thank you Jen

I did and it is using right now with what I have open 2.95 Ram

-- hide signature --

www.corot.smugmug.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
webfrasse
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,765
Like?
Re: imac and lightroom 4 problem - how is aperture - thoughts
In reply to lou Capeloto, Jan 16, 2013

lou Capeloto wrote:

sorry to hear about your car

Anyhow, the computer is an IMac

OSX 10.8.2

Processor 3.06 GH2 Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 4gb

1067 Mh2 DDR 3

Hope this helps

Thanks

LC

-- hide signature --

www.corot.smugmug.com

I would say that 4GB is a minimum today for most work with LR or AP. Memory is cheap today so I would would invest in 8GB which I think is ok in your iMac.

I would also run Disk Utility to do a Repair Permissions. That sometimes removes issues like this.

-- hide signature --

Mikael

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hisoy86
Forum MemberPosts: 83Gear list
Like?
Re: imac and lightroom 4 problem - how is aperture - thoughts
In reply to lou Capeloto, Jan 16, 2013

I run an old 24"iMac 2.93 Core 2 Duo with OSX10.8.2 and LR, but I have 8 gb memory.  No problems.  I also have and use Aperture.  Both programs use about the same amount of resources.  I would think that putting in 8 gb (about $60US) from OWC would improve performance a lot, but I don't think Aperture would run much better on 4gb.

As others have suggested, check your disk permissions using disk utility to see if that might be a problem.

Tom

 hisoy86's gear list:hisoy86's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bohdanz
Regular MemberPosts: 110
Like?
Re: imac and lightroom 4 problem - how is aperture - thoughts
In reply to webfrasse, Jan 16, 2013

I've used Aperture for a few years but thought I'd make the switch to Lightroom when I got it as part of my Adobe Production Premium that include Lightroom and Photoshop.

After watching hours of tutorials from Adobe, Scott Kelby, and Lynda.com, I'm about to move back to Aperture.  As soon as possible, in fact.

Here's what I hate about Lightroom.

  • It's got so many pieces that nothing is a quick, fast, anything.
  • Adobe Lightroom has horrible integration with social media.  I've purchased add ons from developers and getting photos into a Facebook wall, for example, can't happen according to Jeffrey Friedl because Facebook hasn't released an API.  Really?  Aperture's integration to Facebook is seamless.  
  • I've probably spent about thirty dollars in add-ons for Facebook, Picasa, etc and it's always multiple steps to get things done.
  • Even more trying is how to open up images in different apps.  In Lightroom I can set up one app - so I choose Photoshop.  But I've got onOne Software Perfect Photo Suite, Topaz, Nik Software, Pixelmator.  Getting an image to open seamlessly in those apps is yet another multi-step effort.

Because there's such a big sell by Adobe gurus like Scott Kelby on the virtues of Lightroom, you're led to believe it's an amazing app.

It's not.

If Apple only had a great instructor like Adobe digital imaging evangelist Julianne Kost -- she's an amazing instructor with the best tutorials -- the world would switch to Aperture.

Bohdan

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lou Capeloto
Contributing MemberPosts: 568
Like?
Re: imac and lightroom 4 problem - how is aperture - thoughts
In reply to hisoy86, Jan 23, 2013

HI

Thanks all

Followed everyones suggestion and the key finally was upgrading ram for 4gb to 8gb --
www.corot.smugmug.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jbagg
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?
Re: imac and lightroom 4 problem - how is aperture - thoughts
In reply to bohdanz, Jan 24, 2013

bohdanz wrote:

I've used Aperture for a few years but thought I'd make the switch to Lightroom when I got it as part of my Adobe Production Premium that include Lightroom and Photoshop.

After watching hours of tutorials from Adobe, Scott Kelby, and Lynda.com, I'm about to move back to Aperture. As soon as possible, in fact.

Here's what I hate about Lightroom.

  • It's got so many pieces that nothing is a quick, fast, anything.
  • Adobe Lightroom has horrible integration with social media. I've purchased add ons from developers and getting photos into a Facebook wall, for example, can't happen according to Jeffrey Friedl because Facebook hasn't released an API. Really? Aperture's integration to Facebook is seamless.
  • I've probably spent about thirty dollars in add-ons for Facebook, Picasa, etc and it's always multiple steps to get things done.
  • Even more trying is how to open up images in different apps. In Lightroom I can set up one app - so I choose Photoshop. But I've got onOne Software Perfect Photo Suite, Topaz, Nik Software, Pixelmator. Getting an image to open seamlessly in those apps is yet another multi-step effort.

Because there's such a big sell by Adobe gurus like Scott Kelby on the virtues of Lightroom, you're led to believe it's an amazing app.

It's not.

If Apple only had a great instructor like Adobe digital imaging evangelist Julianne Kost -- she's an amazing instructor with the best tutorials -- the world would switch to Aperture.

Bohdan

You might try ApertureExpert. He's the closest the Aperture community has to an evangelist.

http://www.apertureexpert.com/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,319Gear list
Like?
Re: imac and lightroom 4 problem - how is aperture - thoughts
In reply to bohdanz, Jan 26, 2013

bohdanz wrote:

I've used Aperture for a few years but thought I'd make the switch to Lightroom when I got it as part of my Adobe Production Premium that include Lightroom and Photoshop.

After watching hours of tutorials from Adobe, Scott Kelby, and Lynda.com, I'm about to move back to Aperture. As soon as possible, in fact.

Here's what I hate about Lightroom.

  • It's got so many pieces that nothing is a quick, fast, anything.
  • Adobe Lightroom has horrible integration with social media. I've purchased add ons from developers and getting photos into a Facebook wall, for example, can't happen according to Jeffrey Friedl because Facebook hasn't released an API. Really? Aperture's integration to Facebook is seamless.
  • I've probably spent about thirty dollars in add-ons for Facebook, Picasa, etc and it's always multiple steps to get things done.
  • Even more trying is how to open up images in different apps. In Lightroom I can set up one app - so I choose Photoshop. But I've got onOne Software Perfect Photo Suite, Topaz, Nik Software, Pixelmator. Getting an image to open seamlessly in those apps is yet another multi-step effort.
I used Aperture for years and switched to LR just over a month ago because it supported the Sony RX1 RAW and Aperture didn't. I have found both pieces of software to be slow unless you have enough RAM. I had the NIK Software package installed with Aperture. When I switched, the NIK stuff switched without me even having to do anything, which was nice. But I use Flickr pretty extensively and both A and LR will export to Flickr. However, I have had Aperture on numerous occasions take photos I had on Flickr that were favorited and had 10 - 20 comments and replace them image and delete the one that had all of the activity. That's really frustrating. It happened enough that I ended up needing to just exports any images I wanted to share into a folder and then I'd upload them to Flickr using the Flickr tools. At least that works without error.
I was frustrated that Aperture hasn't been updated in so long, but it's really not that far behind LR. But I like LR a bit more after 40 days. I like the speed that LR updates lenses and cameras compared to Aperture. I also like how LR handles noise better. Editing tools is a mixed bag as they both have benefits, but I've decided that LR has more benefits for my workflow, so I am sticking with LR.
 sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads