RFC (bundled Silkypix) Still Works Better Than Capture One and ACR

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions
Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,466Gear list
Like?
RFC (bundled Silkypix) Still Works Better Than Capture One and ACR
Jan 16, 2013

That's the way it looks to me - what do you think?

Here is ACR vs Capture One (according to dpreview)

Here is RFC at default settings:

And just so you can see the rest of the image as well, here it is in full.  The overall exposure has been dropped by 0.5EV because the original is slightly over-exposed and I might have made a slight tweak elsewhere, like pulling the False color control back to 10 instead of 30, bnut RFC does a pretty good job, don't you think?

Click on Gallery to view full size.  Let me know if you spot issues.

For bundled software RFC does an exceptional job with X-Trans.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Randy Benter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,961Gear list
Like?
Re: RFC (bundled Silkypix) Still Works Better Than Capture One and ACR
In reply to Trevor G, Jan 16, 2013

We've been down this road many times already. RFC and DSP5 have been weighed, measured, and found wanting.

And...no, I don't think it is better than C1 or the OOC jpeg. It beats Adobe, but that's not saying much.

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Leica X2 Fujifilm X100S Leica M8 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus PEN E-P5 +33 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mutatron
Forum MemberPosts: 83
Like?
In reply to Randy Benter, Jan 16, 2013

Randy Benter wrote:

We've been down this road many times already. RFC and DSP5 have been weighed, measured, and found wanting.

And...no, I don't think it is better than C1 or the OOC jpeg. It beats Adobe, but that's not saying much.

Well, the bleeding on the street sign sure does look bad in the Capture One pic. Could be a matter of tweaking the settings, though.

deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 1,981Gear list
Like?

I installed the Silkypix too (because C1 wasn't out re X-Trans files).

Here are 2 crops firs with Sikypix the second with C1 ... Cranked up the sharpness in Silky and chose the soft sharpening 2 preset in C1 ...

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Powerdoc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,883Gear list
Like?

I am currently trying Silkipix DS 5, but I have two questions :

- how do you to recover the Highlights ?

- what are the setting to have the same color rendition than Fuji JPEG ?

Otherwise, I think that silkipix is good, but if it's impossible to recover properly the highlights, I won't buy the license after the 30 days trial.

-- hide signature --

It's all about photography

Powerdoc's gear list:Powerdoc's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus PEN E-P1 Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-Pro1 +27 more
pkincy
Contributing MemberPosts: 798
Like?
In reply to Powerdoc, Jan 16, 2013

I ran into an identical problem with CP1 v7.0.2 today.  Had a wooded scene with the sun on the front of a cabin and I had overexposed the sunlit porch.  Couldn't for the life of me find a slider to tone down the highlights anywhere in Capture One.  Maybe its there.  I will keep looking tomorrow.

In those simple instances, LR begins to look much more like an old friend.

-- hide signature --

X100
XPro1; 60mm Macro, 35mm f1.4
XE1; Kit Zoom

dengx
Contributing MemberPosts: 931
Like?
In reply to pkincy, Jan 16, 2013

pkincy wrote:

I ran into an identical problem with CP1 v7.0.2 today. Had a wooded scene with the sun on the front of a cabin and I had overexposed the sunlit porch. Couldn't for the life of me find a slider to tone down the highlights anywhere in Capture One.

It's there - under the Exposure tab/High Dynamic Range/Highlight

Regards

sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,551Gear list
Like?
In reply to pkincy, Jan 16, 2013

pkincy wrote:

I ran into an identical problem with CP1 v7.0.2 today. Had a wooded scene with the sun on the front of a cabin and I had overexposed the sunlit porch. Couldn't for the life of me find a slider to tone down the highlights anywhere in Capture One. Maybe its there. I will keep looking tomorrow.

-- hide signature --

X100
XE1; Kit Zoom

It's the highlights slider on the exposure tab. It does an excellent job.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,551Gear list
Like?

I'm afraid that I agree with Randy here. The C1 output (easily) looks best, then the OOC jpeg, then Silkypix, then ACR.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Trevor G
Like?
In reply to Randy Benter, Jan 16, 2013

Randy Benter wrote:

Not in this case, it would seem.

Even when you view just the crop given in dpreview?

The Capture One version actually looks better to you, with the smearing of the green into the white of the street sign?

I'm sure there are other issues, I just haven't bothered to look too far.

Have you bought some of the emporer's new clothes, too?

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G

Trevor G
Like?
In reply to mutatron, Jan 16, 2013

mutatron wrote:

Well, the bleeding on the street sign sure does look bad in the Capture One pic. Could be a matter of tweaking the settings, though.

LOL.

You would think Capture One developers would have tweaked all they could to get rid of it...

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G

Trevor G
Like?
In reply to deednets, Jan 16, 2013

deednets wrote:

I installed the Silkypix too (because C1 wasn't out re X-Trans files).

Here are 2 crops firs with Sikypix the second with C1 ... Cranked up the sharpness in Silky

I'm not sure why you did that, because now the lamp post arm has a big black sharpening halo on top.

I think sharpness was fine - remember this is 100%.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G

Nastavnik
Regular MemberPosts: 357
Like?

Hello Trevor

I apreciate the time you take in multiple posts to try and demonstrate that RFC does work. Hoewever, for the life of me I cannot manage to get close to the camera jpgs or your onw results for that matter.

I've read the tutorial that you linked to somewhere else, but to no avail. Specially with high iso photos and noise and/or highlight recovery.

Can you give a step by step / basic controls to have a tiff file that can then be optimized in lR or photoshop? Specially in regards to highlight recovery. I didn't found the controls to be very intuitive. That being said, for the stuff I shoot lately, high iso, indoors portraits of my 17 month daughter, LR4 is enough (though sometimes in such dim lighting (iso 3200, 1/30th second, f4), the AF is the most limiting factor rather than processing the raw

Thanks for any guidelines you can give.

Trevor G
Like?
In reply to Powerdoc, Jan 16, 2013

Powerdoc wrote:

I am currently trying Silkipix DSP5, but I have two questions :

Why?

RFC produces a better result at default settings than my favourite software, DSP5.

Go back and try the bundle - you can install them side by side.

- how do you to recover the Highlights ?

What highlights can you not recover?

Have you turned on the histogram?

You wind down the main exposure control until the histogram highlight end is fully revealed. There is 6EV of reduction available in DSP5 (way more than you need) and 4EV in RFC.

At the same time you also take the DR Expansion slider back to 0 on most occasions, for best results. I'll explain how to use that control in a separate post.

Care to post a sample RAW?

- what are the setting to have the same color rendition than Fuji JPEG ?

There is no setting as such.

I suggest that you try both these methods:

1) Process the RAW without looking at the JPEG and see what you think.  I seldom look at JPEGs now.

2) Compare RAW with JPEG and follow these steps to get as close a match as possible:

a) Choose a Taste (top most control) that gives you a close match - I mostly choose Landscape (for almost any image) followed by Portrait.  Sometimes Fine Street will do it as well (or instead).

b) Go to the Colour control (just below Contrast) and go through the 12 or so presets until you get the colour match you want.

c) If using DSP5 you can also choose a Profile (in the bottom of the same Colour tool) - choose either V4 Comaptible, Natural or Faithful.  Don't worry about what they are called - just try them and see.  I often choose V4 compatible, but not always.

Otherwise, I think that silkipix is good, but if it's impossible to recover properly the highlights, I won't buy the license after the 30 days trial.

I just ran the tram/bus image through both RFC and DSP5 today and RFC is better at default settings.

DSP5 might be better overall, but I will have to work to see what needs to be done to get it there. It showed more smearing (slightly more) on the street sign.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G

Trevor G
Like?
In reply to Nastavnik, Jan 16, 2013

Nastavnik wrote:

Hello Trevor

for the life of me I cannot manage to get close to the camera jpgs or your own results for that matter.

I've read the tutorial that you linked to somewhere else, but to no avail. Specially with high iso photos and noise and/or highlight recovery.

Can you give a step by step / basic controls

Can you post a RAW file somewhere for me to work on, please?

It would be good if it is also one which can be posted in here, along with the step by step instructions, but that is not essential.

In the case of the dpreview tram/bus image, I opened it in RFC and saved it at default settings - you can't get much easier than that, can you? 

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G

Nastavnik
Regular MemberPosts: 357
Like?

Well ,thanks for you willingness to assist

I am at work now (though it may not be visible by my presence here...) but this evening, my daughter allowing (yes she is young and already has me under her thumb) I will try to upload a raw file to dropbox and send you the link. I'll try to find something that i won't be too embarrassed about...

Trevor G
Like?
In reply to Nastavnik, Jan 16, 2013

Great!  Looking forward to it.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G

Charuteiro
Contributing MemberPosts: 517
Like?

Trevor G wrote:

That's the way it looks to me - what do you think?

Here is RFC at default settings:

And just so you can see the rest of the image as well, here it is in full. The overall exposure has been dropped by 0.5EV because the original is slightly over-exposed and I might have made a slight tweak elsewhere, like pulling the False color control back to 10 instead of 30, bnut RFC does a pretty good job, don't you think?

Click on Gallery to view full size. Let me know if you spot issues.

Hey Trevor,

I used RFC-EX to adjust WB and Tone, and eliminate Highlight and Shadow warnings from DSCF0215.RAF.  I changed the WB to make the top of leftmost building white rather than blue; and increased the False Colour control to 50 in order to remove noise that appear as the white specs in the blue sky of the RAF image.

I created a DPR Album to compare images with Highlight and Shadow Warnings ON in RFC-EX.  The first slide is the RAF, the second your version, and the third as described above.  For best results, click the link below, click slide show, click full screen or <F11>, click play and use arrow keys to toggle back and forth between images.

==>DPR Album:  RFC-EX - DPR DSCF0215.RAF

Cheers!

Dabbler
Senior MemberPosts: 1,405Gear list
Like?

Wait.. isn't that ACR vs OOC Jpg? Where is C1 comparison image?

-- hide signature --

Michael

Dabbler's gear list:Dabbler's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 RX100 III Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 +12 more
nixda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,876Gear list
Like?
In reply to sgoldswo, Jan 16, 2013

sgoldswo wrote:

pkincy wrote:

I ran into an identical problem with CP1 v7.0.2 today. Had a wooded scene with the sun on the front of a cabin and I had overexposed the sunlit porch. Couldn't for the life of me find a slider to tone down the highlights anywhere in Capture One. Maybe its there. I will keep looking tomorrow.

-- hide signature --

X100
XE1; Kit Zoom

It's the highlights slider on the exposure tab. It does an excellent job.

Indeed it does. For me, highlight and shadow recovery are the prime reasons why I process some of my RAW files. Now having said that, it all comes down to Levels and Curves. Curves is at the heart of any of these tonal adjustments, so one could argue that, if one were proficient with Curves, one could do all of it and wouldn't have to choose one program over another.

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads