If you had to start from scratch, what would you do?

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions
dirkluchtman
Contributing MemberPosts: 534
Like?
If you had to start from scratch, what would you do?
Jan 16, 2013

I have lived in Alberta, Canada since September 2009, but will leave Canada for Europe summer this year, permanently. In those 4 years, I've had the privilege of acquiring some Canon gear, including a 5D Mark II, 70-200 F4 IS and a Tokina 16-28mm 2.8. I bought all of this while knowing I would have to sell it all when I leave 4 years later, because Canon Canada does not cover repairs and warranty in Europe. I have no regrets though, because the gear allowed me to photograph the beautiful scenery here with near-maximum quality (which is exactly what I wanted). I was never good at saving money.....

So, in a while, I will have to throw my hard-earned cash at the European camera gear market and decide to either stay with Canon or go to Nikon. I am itching toward Nikon, simply due to the increased dynamic range (i shoot pretty much only landscapes and need a wide dynamic range), but unfortunately, the perfect camera does not exist. It has to be a full frame camera.

- Nikon D600: perfect sensor performance (great compromise of resolution, dynamic range and low-light performance), but cheap body (and terrible grip), and sensor dust issues. If only it had a D700 style body (I would go for it immediately).

- Nikon D800: great sensor performance and body, but perhaps resolution overkill (large files, sharpness issues). Potentially significant issues with left-autofocus points, green cast on LCD display and kinda sluggish performance. If you check amazon.com customer reviews, you can see that a lot of people are having issues with this camera (also the D600).

- Canon 5D III: perfect in every sense (although I would welcome slightly higher resolution) except inferior sensor performance (quantitively at least, but dynamic range tests show the inferiority to Nikon full frame sensors dramatically).

- Canon 6D: not a pro-body and too functionally compromised for the price.

The Nikon D800 would probably be my choice. I would risk having to return my camera multiple times to get an issue-free one and hope that Nikon will release an improved version later on.

What would you do if you could start from scratch?

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 6D Nikon D600 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
CES1
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Re: If you had to start from scratch, what would you do?
In reply to dirkluchtman, Jan 16, 2013

My answer, though not as technical as most others will offer, is to recommend you go with Nikon!  In the last year, I have sent in my (1 year old) 5D Mark II twice, my 550D in three times, my 70-200 IS (brand new) in once.....If I did not have so much invested with canon, I would start over in a heartbeat.  Canon is known for great customer service, but my past experiences have been terrible!  I may sound like a disgruntled Canon user who only points out the negatives, and maybe I am...lol -

I take very good care of my equipment and I don't think it is a coincidence that I have had so many issues, constantly - it must speak volumes to the quality of product Canon is putting out these days.

Good luck - go with NIKON!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MASTERPPA
Contributing MemberPosts: 864
Like?
In reply to CES1, Jan 16, 2013

Nikon, lately, is not looking that great on product quality, at least the 600 and 800.

If I had it all to do over, I would still get the 5DIII, 600RT and new 24-70 2.8 II.

For weddings, and since I am 100% raw shooter, nothing beats the 5DIII for the price.

NOW, if I was a LANDSCAPE only shooter, it would be the D800 all the way

CES1 wrote:

My answer, though not as technical as most others will offer, is to recommend you go with Nikon! In the last year, I have sent in my (1 year old) 5D Mark II twice, my 550D in three times, my 70-200 IS (brand new) in once.....If I did not have so much invested with canon, I would start over in a heartbeat. Canon is known for great customer service, but my past experiences have been terrible! I may sound like a disgruntled Canon user who only points out the negatives, and maybe I am...lol -

I take very good care of my equipment and I don't think it is a coincidence that I have had so many issues, constantly - it must speak volumes to the quality of product Canon is putting out these days.

rwbaron
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,445Gear list
Like?

Your post makes no sense.  Why would you be concerned about Canon Canada covering repairs on 4 year old equipment?  Appears to me you're SOL regardless and would have to pay for repairs even if you stayed in Canada.  You don't think Canon Europe will accept your money?  Do you really expect to have a major malfunction with your camera and lenses?  I've been shooting Canon for 35 years and have owned dozens and dozens of bodies and lenses and have used Canon repair only 3 times and one of the three was for a camcorder and another was for a lens that was mishandled.

If you want a new kit then just say so.

Bob

-- hide signature --
 rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S90 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 50D +20 more
rrccad
Senior MemberPosts: 3,498Gear list
Like?

dirkluchtman wrote:

I have lived in Alberta, Canada since September 2009, but will leave Canada for Europe summer this year, permanently. In those 4 years, I've had the privilege of acquiring some Canon gear, including a 5D Mark II, 70-200 F4 IS and a Tokina 16-28mm 2.8. I bought all of this while knowing I would have to sell it all when I leave 4 years later, because Canon Canada does not cover repairs and warranty in Europe. I have no regrets though, because the gear allowed me to photograph the beautiful scenery here with near-maximum quality (which is exactly what I wanted). I was never good at saving money.....

this doesn't make sense.

canon europe will service your cameras .. it's nikon that seemingly refuses to service out of market equipment.

I'd save the loses on selling / repurchasing and get a TSE.

rrccad's gear list:rrccad's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M
CameraCarl
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,434Gear list
Like?
In reply to rwbaron, Jan 16, 2013

I probably would keep my gear until it breaks or the technology becomes so outdated that it is obsolete for my needs.  But assuming you are convinced you want to start anew, I'd post in the Nikon and Sony forums and ask the same question. The new Sony cameras seem to be getting rave reviews.  I, personally, would look at Nikon, but my equipment needs are a lot different than yours including really wide angle zooms and long telephotos where the Nikon 12-24 and the 200-400 are intriguing.

RE: repairs: I, too, have heard stories that Nikon has its own quality and reliability problems. My friend with Nikon gear seems to have it in the shop as often or more often than my Canon gear is in the shop.

CameraCarl's gear list:CameraCarl's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
TimR32225
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,113Gear list
Like?
In reply to rrccad, Jan 16, 2013

rrccad wrote:

dirkluchtman wrote:

this doesn't make sense.

canon europe will service your cameras .. it's nikon that seemingly refuses to service out of market equipment.

Exactly.  Your equipment is worth far more in use, than what it would bring if you sell it.  I'd say it's a no-brainer to keep your eqipment and use it until you can purchase something to replace it. I think it makes no sense to sell it just because you will pay if you need any repairs.  That's the case for everyone after gear is 1-year old.

There are plenty of reasons to upgrade equipment, but so far I don't think you've mentioned any of them.

TimR32225's gear list:TimR32225's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +11 more
dirkluchtman
Contributing MemberPosts: 534
Like?
Is canadian gear repaired in Europe?
In reply to TimR32225, Jan 16, 2013

TimR32225 wrote:

rrccad wrote:

dirkluchtman wrote:

this doesn't make sense.

Exactly. Your equipment is worth far more in use, than what it would bring if you sell it. I'd say it's a no-brainer to keep your eqipment and use it until you can purchase something to replace it. I think it makes no sense to sell it just because you will pay if you need any repairs. That's the case for everyone after gear is 1-year old.

There are plenty of reasons to upgrade equipment, but so far I don't think you've mentioned any of them.

I was told that I would need to send the Canadian gear from Europe back to Canada, for repair, which has a significant price tag to it, even if it's under warranty. Further, it's unlikely I could sell my gear in Europe (for those reasons) if I wanted to upgrade (to new Canon gear for instance). Does that make any sense?

salamander1
Senior MemberPosts: 1,027
Like?
Re: Is canadian gear repaired in Europe?

dirkluchtman wrote:

TimR32225 wrote:

rrccad wrote:

dirkluchtman wrote:

this doesn't make sense.

Exactly. Your equipment is worth far more in use, than what it would bring if you sell it. I'd say it's a no-brainer to keep your eqipment and use it until you can purchase something to replace it. I think it makes no sense to sell it just because you will pay if you need any repairs. That's the case for everyone after gear is 1-year old.

I was told that I would need to send the Canadian gear from Europe back to Canada, for repair, which has a significant price tag to it, even if it's under warranty. Further, it's unlikely I could sell my gear in Europe (for those reasons) if I wanted to upgrade (to new Canon gear for instance). Does that make any sense?

i would investigate this issue very carefully again if i were you. what part of your gear is still under warranty, if warranty is the real problem?

if you got tired  of canon and you want to switch to nikon, by all means do it. it's a free country.  you don't need anybody's opinion in order to do that.  if you think your pictures would improve with nikon,  and if this lateral move move makes sense to you,  go ahead and get  yourself a nikon and one day soon show us some beautiful pictures from europe. i's a free country. good luck!

TimR32225
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,113Gear list
Like?

dirkluchtman wrote:

TimR32225 wrote:

rrccad wrote:

dirkluchtman wrote:

this doesn't make sense.

That makes it a little bit clearer (if true), but you presently have gear that works and that you can use.  And you've already stated that you could not get much money by selling it.

The odds that you will need repairs are much smaller than the odds that you won't.  So it still seems like you are betting against the law of averages if you sell the equipment now.  Why not just use the equipment until it fails? (it probably will not fail anyway).  But even if it fails, you basically 'rented' it for the small amount of money you could have recovered by selling it.

If it needs repair, I believe any Canon service center will repair it.  I could be wrong, but you can call Canon and find out for sure.  That should probably have been your first step.  If that turns out to be the case, all this posting would have been for naught.
--
Photoblog at: http://timrucciphotography.blogspot.com/
Gallery at: http://www.timrucci.com
http://ic2.pbase.com/o3/01/27301/1/127288439.mqVed1Rq.1D_88065sB.jpg

TimR32225's gear list:TimR32225's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +11 more
jedinstvo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,914
Like?
I believe Canon's warrantees are world-wide

The chance of needing a warrantee repair is less than 1%.

dotweb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586Gear list
Like?

Hi,

Repairs outside the warranty period, is a source of income .. also for Canon, and there would be no problems getting your gear serviced here in Europe. I have purchased Canon gear both from US and Asia, and never having problems getting service.

Br

Steen

-- hide signature --

Steen
dotweb.dk
EF 24-70 2.8 L / EF 70-200 2.8 L / EF 100-400 4.5 L / EF 24-105 4.0 L/1D Mark IV / 60D /Tamron 17-55mm 2.8 / SLIK 700 pro AMT/Olympus gear E-1/E-3

dotweb's gear list:dotweb's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-400 Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +5 more
Nigel Wilkins
Senior MemberPosts: 1,006
Like?

dirkluchtman wrote:

Further, it's unlikely I could sell my gear in Europe (for those reasons) if I wanted to upgrade (to new Canon gear for instance).

Your gear will sell just the same on ebay as if you bought it in Europe...mine does, yet I buy most of it from Honk Kong.  It's the same gear & no-one ever asks where you bought it from, mostly because it's not under warranty any more.

Come to think of it, I was honest enough to put that fact in my ebay ad when I sold my 5DII...no English manual, software disc for Asia/Austrailia only etc.  My 4 year old camera sold for £950.

Mike921
Regular MemberPosts: 286Gear list
Like?
In reply to CameraCarl, Jan 16, 2013

CameraCarl wrote:

I probably would keep my gear until it breaks or the technology becomes so outdated that it is obsolete for my needs. But assuming you are convinced you want to start anew, I'd post in the Nikon and Sony forums and ask the same question. The new Sony cameras seem to be getting rave reviews. I, personally, would look at Nikon, but my equipment needs are a lot different than yours including really wide angle zooms and long telephotos where the Nikon 12-24 and the 200-400 are intriguing.

RE: repairs: I, too, have heard stories that Nikon has its own quality and reliability problems. My friend with Nikon gear seems to have it in the shop as often or more often than my Canon gear is in the shop.

Good point, now that Sony is in the mix.  My advice would be to RENT what you're interested in, that way you can make the best, hands on decision instead of listening to our 'learned opinions' 

Mike921's gear list:Mike921's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot S400 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D +9 more
Rock and Rollei
Regular MemberPosts: 435Gear list
Like?

dirkluchtman wrote:

TimR32225 wrote:

rrccad wrote:

dirkluchtman wrote:

this doesn't make sense.

No. it doesn't. ONLY for warranty work would that be the case, and even then, only for lenses. Chargeable repairs can be done over here on any Canon equipment (unless there's a fake serial number, but that's a different issue). In fact in general your equipment will be worth MORE over here, as new prices tend to be higher. Selling low and buying high doesn't make any sense at all, and seems totally unnecessary.

Rock and Rollei's gear list:Rock and Rollei's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M Pentax Q +34 more
biza43
Senior MemberPosts: 2,182Gear list
Like?

As others have said, Canon Europe will service your gear, if required. If you feel like upgrading, I think you should look seriously into the 6D, this is a great camera for landscapes and travel. Not sure why you think it is functionally crippled for those applications.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
KENTGA
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,546Gear list
Like?
In reply to biza43, Jan 16, 2013

I've been using Canon since 2005--- Rebel XT > 30D > 5D > 40D > 1DM3 > 7D. The only problem I've had with any of them is 1DM3 factory focus issues that Canon fixed for free. These cameras have been hiked with in heat, cold, windy and dusty situations. The 40D  w/17-55 fell about 5 feet off a railing onto the ground. No problem after the fall. I have numerous lenses (Canon and others) and have never had a problem.

It seems to me that you're looking for potential problems rather than just enjoying your gear.

I'm sure Canon Europe or other people in larger cities will repair your gear. They make money when they do it.

If you do want to switch, rent the gear and consider Sony. I think it's cheaper than Nikon and Nikon uses some Sony sensors. A guy in my camera has lots of Sony gear.

Kent

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 6D +14 more
The Davinator
Forum ProPosts: 13,362Gear list
Like?
Would make no difference....

After 4 years, you'd have no warranty in Canada either.  So selling your gear is kind of a silly move.  You'll take a massive depreciation hit in order to "protect" you from paying for a minor repair.  You'll lose well over a $1000 in selling your gear....to protect against a $200 to $400 repair?  That sound logical to you?

I must be missing something because this makes absolutely no sense.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS D30 Nikon D2X +18 more
BryMills
Regular MemberPosts: 173Gear list
Like?
In reply to KENTGA, Jan 16, 2013

Camera bodies may be country specific - power leads etc, but lenses are lenses.  In the UK at least, there are some good independent camera repair shops that specialise in Canon and Nikon if your stuff ever did need servicing.

BryMills's gear list:BryMills's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Alastair Norcross
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,616Gear list
Like?
In reply to CES1, Jan 16, 2013

CES1 wrote:

My answer, though not as technical as most others will offer, is to recommend you go with Nikon! In the last year, I have sent in my (1 year old) 5D Mark II twice, my 550D in three times, my 70-200 IS (brand new) in once.....If I did not have so much invested with canon, I would start over in a heartbeat. Canon is known for great customer service, but my past experiences have been terrible! I may sound like a disgruntled Canon user who only points out the negatives, and maybe I am...lol -

Why don't you think it's a coincidence that you've had so many issues? What is your evidence for this claim? You have had a bunch of issues recently. There are two possibilities. (i) It is a coincidence. (ii) It isn't a coincidence. Canon has become worse. In order to have evidence for (ii), you would have to have access to an enormous database of repair information. You would have to know how many genuinely faulty pieces of equipment Canon has sold recently, compared with the total number of pieces of such equipment. If you had such evidence, you would have cited it. So, you make a wild assumption, based on no evidence whatsoever.

But, since you're in the business of unfounded generalizations from your own limited experience, I'll throw in mine. In twelve and a half years of owning Canon digital cameras, and eight and a half years of owning DSLR equipment (cameras and lenses), I've sent items to Canon six times (two compacts, three lenses, one DSLR). Each time, the service was fast and efficient. I don't think it's a coincidence that I've had great service, and have only had to use it on average once every two years.

-- hide signature --

Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot S45 Canon PowerShot SD450 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads