Panny Lumix GH3 HDMI video output in recording mode

Started Jan 16, 2013 | Discussions
Francis Carver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,093
Like?
Panny Lumix GH3 HDMI video output in recording mode
Jan 16, 2013

Sorry, good people, but I could not see this in the online specs/features list for the GH3.... and I do not own the camera yet. What type of video does it output via its mini HDMI port while you are doing video recordings with it? Say when you have an external monitor, EVF, or TV set jacked into it.

Is it a full 1920 x 1080 progressive or interlaced signal that come out of the GH3, or something of a lower resolution? Is it 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 for chroma subsampling, and 10-bit color depth or only 8-bit for color quality? And does it output only "dirty" video -- i.e. picture and data overlays, or can you switch off the overlays and just see the pristine image being recorded on an externally connected monitor while you are actually recording the video!

Thanks!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Pete Berry
Senior MemberPosts: 2,189
Like?
Re: Panny Lumix GH3 HDMI video output in recording mode
In reply to Francis Carver, Jan 16, 2013

Francis Carver wrote:

Sorry, good people, but I could not see this in the online specs/features list for the GH3.... and I do not own the camera yet. What type of video does it output via its mini HDMI port while you are doing video recordings with it? Say when you have an external monitor, EVF, or TV set jacked into it.

Is it a full 1920 x 1080 progressive or interlaced signal that come out of the GH3, or something of a lower resolution? Is it 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 for chroma subsampling, and 10-bit color depth or only 8-bit for color quality? And does it output only "dirty" video -- i.e. picture and data overlays, or can you switch off the overlays and just see the pristine image being recorded on an externally connected monitor while you are actually recording the video!

Thanks!

From LL's (Michael Reichmann) prelim review w/ v. 0.5 firmware :

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/panasonic_gh3_field_review.shtml

"One of the GH3's capabilities will perk up the ears (and eyes) of serious videographers is that the camera puts out a clean recordable HDMI signal (4:2:0 colour space and in 8 bit). One could have wished for 4:2:2 and 10 bit, but not at this price point, I suppose."

Pete

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Francis Carver
Senior MemberPosts: 1,093
Like?
Panny Lumix GH3 video output + misc. issues with GH3
In reply to Pete Berry, Jan 16, 2013

Pete Berry wrote:

From LL's (Michael Reichmann) prelim review w/ v. 0.5 firmware :

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/panasonic_gh3_field_review.shtml

"One of the GH3's capabilities will perk up the ears (and eyes) of serious videographers is that the camera puts out a clean recordable HDMI signal (4:2:0 colour space and in 8 bit). One could have wished for 4:2:2 and 10 bit, but not at this price point, I suppose."

Pete

Thank fort that lead, Pete. I guess nobody here on DP Review had actually tried this trick themselves yet. This is what I had found on this on the Panasonic web site itself:

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-GH3KBODY?support

you can use the GH3 like a video camera with uncompressed 1080/60p HDMI output.
The output is uncompressed 4-2-0

Well, that is not all that good, is it now? To show 60p on an external monitor, it has to be able to handle 120 Hertz refresh rates, which none of the external EVFs and LCDs/OLEDs I know of can do. It would have been more useful if the output would also be available in 24p, 25p, and 30p, because then 48 Hertz, 50 hertz, 60 Hertz normal monitors could also handle the signal.

I tried to look for the firmware version and update to the firmware, but saw nothing whatsoever fo firmware update and download for the GH3 at the camera's support page. Maybe I did not look for it at the right place?

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-GH3KBODY?support

Meanwhile, even though the camera is not yet shipping in numbers, initial technical problems with it are beginning to be reported. Such as:

Is it normal for the new GH3 viewfinder to be blurry unless you are looking through it in dead center? I own several panasonic cameras including the GH2, G3 and G5 and none of them have this issue.

This issue has been widely reported by users in online forums as well. Is this normal for the GH3 or is it a manufactures defect that will be addressed soon? I adjusted the diopter accordingly as well as the fine tuning options in the menu. Nothing resolves the smearing that occurs unless you look through the viewfinder dead center.

Again this has been widely reported by other uses and seems to be a manufactures defect. Can someone let me know if this is just a low quality viewfinder or a defect that will be resolved?

The chap asks Panasonic, and their answer is to adjust the diopter dial to "fix the problem."  Is this how all Japanese companies do business now, I begin to wonder?

Another thing I just found out, even though the GH3 has "Extended ISO Mode" that starts at 125 ISO and goes up to 25,600 ISO, in video mode the lowest ISO setting available is 200 ISO. That is pretty high for certain applications. The GH2 could at least got down to 160 ISO. I started shooting on 25 ASA(ISO) movie film, and then wen I went up to 64 ASA(ISO), that was already considered pretty sensitive. And 100 ASA(ISO) was considered for interior use. So, 200 ISO minimum sensitivity in the GH3 -- way too high in my opinion. Need to break out the ND filters now and again, particularly when you are shooting video in sun-drenched beaches, in the desert, or on the ski slopes.

Also, I was shocked to learn that the GH3 does not have focus peaking for manual focus shooters. Why the heck not, when for example the $550 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR bridge-cam has it? For manual focusing shooters, peaking assist is a great add-on. Here is Panny's own explanation as to the WHY part, BTW:

We are aware that many customers want this feature. Due to time constraints during the development schedule it could not be included.

Hey, Panny: Since the camera is still not shipping in large numbers, so this here is your chance to go back and fix these things!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads