Merrill sensored cameras ARE 30MP luminance equivalents to 30MP cameras!

Started Jan 15, 2013 | Discussions
Roland Karlsson
Forum ProPosts: 19,516Gear list
Like?
Re: Not really possible
In reply to Kendall Helmstetter Gelner, Jan 21, 2013

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

ilsiu wrote:

<...>

I think your point #4 is a very good reason why we won't see this happening. To compete in this space, more than top level IQ is needed. Competitors offer features like in body stabilization, advanced live view, lightning quick CDAF and I don't think Sigma has demonstrated a body with any of those features (please correct me if that's not the case). And if Sigma can't do this for less than ~$1000 I don't think they'll be competitive.

Exactly, Sigma cannot yet produce a camera to compete in that space at the price required, especially not when people are still thinking in terms of bayer MP.

MP?

How was that relevant?

 Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jcollier
Forum MemberPosts: 83
Like?
Re: Merrill sensored cameras ARE 30MP luminance equivalents to 30MP cameras!
In reply to RonJG, Jan 26, 2013

Facts have always been very confusing to the uninformed.

-- hide signature --

jcollier

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
xpatUSA
Senior MemberPosts: 2,015Gear list
Like?
Re: Not really possible
In reply to Roland Karlsson, Jan 26, 2013

Roland Karlsson wrote:

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

ilsiu wrote:

<...>

I think your point #4 is a very good reason why we won't see this happening. To compete in this space, more than top level IQ is needed. Competitors offer features like in body stabilization, advanced live view, lightning quick CDAF and I don't think Sigma has demonstrated a body with any of those features (please correct me if that's not the case). And if Sigma can't do this for less than ~$1000 I don't think they'll be competitive.

Exactly, Sigma cannot yet produce a camera to compete in that space at the price required, especially not when people are still thinking in terms of bayer MP.

MP?

How was that relevant?

Perhaps it means "Bayer MP", i.e. the count normally accepted by "most" people when comparing cameras. Ignoring color resolution of course, I mean, what would they care about that?

I bought my first Sigma (SD9) off eBay for $135 with the two DC "Macro" kit lenses and a 50mm true macro (pre-EX) and should never have sold them. I bought it to take sharp pics of watches for the web and was fully aware that it was a 3.4MP camera.

I had researched the Foveon and understood the MP issue. If I had been just "people" and buying new compared with, say, a D70 or equivalent Canon, I would never have bought the Sigma.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ted
Foveon F7X3-C9110 in a SD10 or two, Lumix DMC-G1

 xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Sigma SD9 Sigma SD10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DMillier
Forum ProPosts: 16,946
Like?
Re: Not really possible
In reply to xpatUSA, Jan 26, 2013

If you'd like to buy my SD9, make me an offer. Can't stand the yellow thing

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
xpatUSA
Senior MemberPosts: 2,015Gear list
Like?
Re: Not really possible
In reply to DMillier, Jan 27, 2013

DMillier wrote:

If you'd like to buy my SD9, make me an offer. Can't stand the yellow thing

Thanks for your kind offer, Dave! Must decline, though . .

I sold my SD9 in a fit of pique because of trouble with reds - a little prematurely, because said reds were fixable (long story). Ended up with a Nikon D90 - I must be one of the few people on the planet to return a D90 within days of buying!

So, back to Foveon I went and the SD10 was the choice for me - anything later seems to pander to the market what with jpegs, more MP, funny batteries, etc.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ted
Foveon F7X3-C9110 in a SD10 or two, Lumix DMC-G1

 xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Sigma SD9 Sigma SD10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
richard stone
Senior MemberPosts: 1,368
Like?
Re: Merrill sensored cameras ARE 30MP luminance equivalents to 30MP cameras!
In reply to jcollier, Jan 27, 2013

jcollier wrote:

Facts have always been very confusing to the uninformed.

-- hide signature --

jcollier

Exactly. And disturbing to their comfort as well. It's very sad.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DMillier
Forum ProPosts: 16,946
Like?
Re: Not really possible
In reply to xpatUSA, Jan 27, 2013

Not used a Sd10 but from what I can tell, it did fix the clunky battery arrangement and the colour seems some of the most stable of all the models. The SD9 is weird. I know some people love'em but for me everything is suffused with a yellow cast you constantly have to fight.

Where it is good is for artsy type shots where you can exploit its funny colour for effect.







-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SandyF
Forum ProPosts: 14,741Gear list
Like?
Re: SD10 vs other cameras
In reply to DMillier, Jan 27, 2013

FWIW I've always found the SD10 the most 'neutral' in color straight from the camera. Confirmed again looking through my old Death Valley photo sets.. it caught the sand color better than any other camera.

But the battery system is still not convenient and the shutter is HEAVY. Heavy adds to what I call 'wobble'' my own and camera's,  so it's hard to get no camera motion when pressing the shutter.

Add the fact that the resolution is notably less than that of the SD14/DP generation and new Merrill generation...  I simply don't use my SD10. But I'll keep it for historical purposes. Maybe I'll shoot it some this spring.... charge up those old Zukz batteries...

Best regards, Sandy
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman (archival)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current)

 SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sigma SD9 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads