need opinion from anyone who switched from 1DS3 to 1DX

Started Jan 14, 2013 | Discussions
Alekhine
Senior MemberPosts: 1,390Gear list
Like?
need opinion from anyone who switched from 1DS3 to 1DX
Jan 14, 2013

I am about to sell (reluctantly) my 1Ds mark III to buy a 1DX.

I do weddings as a job and also have a MKIV, but landscape is my true love.

At first when the 1Dx came out I didn't want to upgrade but the 1Ds3 buffer is very limiting. I only make photojournalism so no posed photography, that's why I decided to switch.

Another feature that I currently miss both on the 1Ds3 and the mkIV is the lack of joystick in portrait mode.

But again, I really love the files from my 1Ds3 when shooting landscape, so I'm looking for opinion from someone who upgraded.

Having read all the reviews on the internet it seems that the IQ from the 1DX is the best but I also heard from someone who own it that it's not so impressive as the 1DS3.

Please share your thoughts... I've someone knoking at my door for the 1DS3!

Thanks in advance!

Guido

-- hide signature --

Whenever people agree with me I always feel I must be wrong.
Oscar Wilde
http://www.guidotramontano.com

Alekhine's gear list:Alekhine's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
TimR32225
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,085Gear list
Like?
Re: need opinion from anyone who switched from 1DS3 to 1DX
In reply to Alekhine, Jan 14, 2013

I used a 5D3 from Canon CPS for a couple weeks before I purchased the 1Dx.  I didn't do any specific tests between the two, but my opinion after brief use is the images are comparable between the two cameras.   Canon says the 1Dx is slightly better and perhaps it is.

I purchased the 1DX over the 5D3 mainly for speed and a few other features.  The one thing I may miss from the 5D3 is the in-camera HDR feature.  I thought it was more or less a gimmick, but I tried it and found it to be quite useful for landscape images.

I don't think you'd be unhappy with either camera if you are not shooting anything that demands a high frame rate.  But I could not live with 6 fps.  I mostly use the 1DX, and have a 1D4 and 7d as backup cameras.

TimR32225's gear list:TimR32225's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
325xia
Regular MemberPosts: 365Gear list
Like?
In reply to TimR32225, Jan 14, 2013

TimR32225 wrote:

I used a 5D3 from Canon CPS for a couple weeks before I purchased the 1Dx. I didn't do any specific tests between the two, but my opinion after brief use is the images are comparable between the two cameras. Canon says the 1Dx is slightly better and perhaps it is.

I purchased the 1DX over the 5D3 mainly for speed and a few other features. The one thing I may miss from the 5D3 is the in-camera HDR feature. I thought it was more or less a gimmick, but I tried it and found it to be quite useful for landscape images.

I don't think you'd be unhappy with either camera if you are not shooting anything that demands a high frame rate. But I could not live with 6 fps. I mostly use the 1DX, and have a 1D4 and 7d as backup cameras.

That's a nice comparison if you are coming from the 5DIII. But, the OP was asking from the 1DS MK III.

325xia's gear list:325xia's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
XeroJay
Contributing MemberPosts: 953Gear list
Like?

At iso100 -> 800, I don't think you'll notice any difference in IQ...

...but that's about the only area where these two are about equal.

EVERYTHING ELSE will be either a small noticeable improvement (such as the better screen, faster review/magnify, snappier shutter), while most things will be a HUGE improvement (high iso, AF accuracy/precision/consistency, buffer, video - if you want it, FPS, etc.)

Basically, you could sell the 1Ds3 & 1DIV, and get just the 1DX, and you'll still have the best of everything you currently do and more...

Except for battery life, which is about a hair worse than the 1DIV, and quite a bit worse than the 1Ds3.

-- hide signature --

If there's typos, you can be sure I used my iPhone.

XeroJay's gear list:XeroJay's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +7 more
Alekhine
Like?
In reply to XeroJay, Jan 14, 2013

XeroJay wrote:

At iso100 -> 800, I don't think you'll notice any difference in IQ...

...but that's about the only area where these two are about equal.

EVERYTHING ELSE will be either a small noticeable improvement (such as the better screen, faster review/magnify, snappier shutter), while most things will be a HUGE improvement (high iso, AF accuracy/precision/consistency, buffer, video - if you want it, FPS, etc.)

Basically, you could sell the 1Ds3 & 1DIV, and get just the 1DX, and you'll still have the best of everything you currently do and more...

Except for battery life, which is about a hair worse than the 1DIV, and quite a bit worse than the 1Ds3.

-- hide signature --

Thanks XeroJay,

I need however two bodies for wedding so I will sell only my mark3.

Do you miss those 3 megapixel on the 1DX?

-- hide signature --

Oscar Wilde

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
TimR32225
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,085Gear list
Like?
ooops....
In reply to 325xia, Jan 14, 2013

Thank you for that correction.  You are right; I mis-read the original post.

;(

TimR32225's gear list:TimR32225's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS USM +11 more
XeroJay
Contributing MemberPosts: 953Gear list
Like?

Alekhine wrote:

Do you miss those 3 megapixel on the 1DX?

Nope. Not in the slightest.

-- hide signature --

XeroJay's gear list:XeroJay's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +7 more
mr645
Regular MemberPosts: 179
Like?
In reply to XeroJay, Jan 14, 2013

What aout selling the 1D IV and picking up the 1Dx?

At lower ISO the 1DsII and 1DsIII are really nice cameras.  I think for weddings, the 1D IV and 1DsIII would be a great combo.  Using the IV for most things and grab the 1DsIII for your landscapes and any formals you may do.

Hans Christian Andersen
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
In reply to Alekhine, Jan 15, 2013

My advice is buy the 1Dx and compare for yourself.
Besides...the resale value of the 1Ds3 is not that high anyway...so keep it.
I intend to keep my 1Ds3 when my 1Dx arrives next month.

Tizzio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,961
Like?

Alekhine wrote:

At first when the 1Dx came out I didn't want to upgrade but the 1Ds3 buffer is very limiting. I only make photojournalism so no posed photography, that's why I decided to switch.

Another feature that I currently miss both on the 1Ds3 and the mkIV is the lack of joystick in portrait mode.

But again, I really love the files from my 1Ds3 when shooting landscape, so I'm looking for opinion from someone who upgraded.

Having read all the reviews on the internet it seems that the IQ from the 1DX is the best but I also heard from someone who own it that it's not so impressive as the 1DS3.

Thanks in advance!

Guido

-- hide signature --

Oscar Wilde

Not right or wrong move.... if you do wedding as a job, I wonder why you would consider a 1Dx instead of a 5D3 or two... just like you said you make pj and no posed photograghy.... and you were disappointed there are no joystick in your 1Ds3..... while you love the files from your 1Ds3....

What you are having now is GAS.... not what you really need my friend.... if you need a cam for wedding... go 5D3

Damon Lynch
Regular MemberPosts: 336Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hans Christian Andersen, Jan 15, 2013

Hans Christian Andersen wrote:

The top end 1D cameras are magnificent but strictly from the narrow point of view of the body itself, they deprecate substantially. Of course they are still good value for people who need them.

Damon Lynch's gear list:Damon Lynch's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM +5 more
Alekhine
Like?
In reply to mr645, Jan 15, 2013

mr645 wrote:

What aout selling the 1D IV and picking up the 1Dx?

At lower ISO the 1DsII and 1DsIII are really nice cameras. I think for weddings, the 1D IV and 1DsIII would be a great combo. Using the IV for most things and grab the 1DsIII for your landscapes and any formals you may do.

no. I am selling the mkIII because of its small buffer and low ISO. This often make me feel frustrated at weddings. And also because I use both camera outdoor and indoor (church). The 1D IV just serves me well at weddings, fast and precise, and the buffer never got full..

-- hide signature --

Oscar Wilde

Alekhine
Like?
In reply to Hans Christian Andersen, Jan 15, 2013

Hans Christian Andersen wrote:

My advice is buy the 1Dx and compare for yourself.
I intend to keep my 1Ds3 when my 1Dx arrives next month.

Well... if I think of the price I paid when the mk3 came out... then this is a great advice.

I can keep the 1DS3 for landscape and use the 1DX and the mkIV for weddings.

-- hide signature --

Oscar Wilde

Alekhine
Like?
In reply to Tizzio, Jan 15, 2013

Tizzio wrote:

Alekhine wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Guido

-- hide signature --

Oscar Wilde

Not right or wrong move.... if you do wedding as a job, I wonder why you would consider a 1Dx instead of a 5D3 or two... just like you said you make pj and no posed photograghy.... and you were disappointed there are no joystick in your 1Ds3..... while you love the files from your 1Ds3....

What you are having now is GAS.... not what you really need my friend.... if you need a cam for wedding... go 5D3

I dont' think so my friend... since I've always used the 1D bodies when I happen to have a 5D in my hands i feel it's just a toy. It's a great camera though, for landscape and studio work but not for photojournalism.

-- hide signature --

Oscar Wilde

jimi_astroman
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?

I made exactly that swap last October and sold the 1Ds3.  The 1DX is better all round and I'm also glad I sold the 1Ds3 mainly for two reasons - it gave me a bit of money to offset the cost of the new camera, and in my view the 1DX is so much better in all aspects that I don't think I would have used the 1Ds3 had I kept it and I don't have the need for 2 bodies.

One of the features I use a lot is the custom functions on the 1DX.  I have one set up for "normal" photography, one for sports which uses high frame rate and the focus button on the camera body and one for manual which I use for landscapes - it's like having 3 cameras in one body.

The only minor criticism - and I'm being really picky here - is that the auto ISO function is neither well explained in the manual or well implemented.   For example you can set a minimum shutter speed when you're on Auto ISO but it's just 1/250 sec.  If I'm shooting sports I would like it to be way more than that at say 1/1000 sec.  Of course you can easily get round this by manually setting your ISO - the performance at higher ISO speeds is way ahead of the 1Ds3.

Auto focus is brilliant and the whole camera is just streets ahead of anything else I've tried - no regrets in making the change at all.

-- hide signature --

Andy

Tizzio
Senior MemberPosts: 1,961
Like?

Alekhine wrote:

Tizzio wrote:

Alekhine wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Guido

-- hide signature --

Oscar Wilde

I dont' think so my friend... since I've always used the 1D bodies when I happen to have a 5D in my hands i feel it's just a toy. It's a great camera though, for landscape and studio work but not for photojournalism.

-- hide signature --

Oscar Wilde

I must have had misread your post, my apology my friend... I thought you were looking for a landscape camera... my bad!

Alekhine
Like?
In reply to jimi_astroman, Jan 15, 2013

jimi_astroman wrote:

I made exactly that swap last October and sold the 1Ds3. The 1DX is better all round and I'm also glad I sold the 1Ds3 mainly for two reasons - it gave me a bit of money to offset the cost of the new camera, and in my view the 1DX is so much better in all aspects that I don't think I would have used the 1Ds3 had I kept it and I don't have the need for 2 bodies.

One of the features I use a lot is the custom functions on the 1DX. I have one set up for "normal" photography, one for sports which uses high frame rate and the focus button on the camera body and one for manual which I use for landscapes - it's like having 3 cameras in one body.

The only minor criticism - and I'm being really picky here - is that the auto ISO function is neither well explained in the manual or well implemented. For example you can set a minimum shutter speed when you're on Auto ISO but it's just 1/250 sec. If I'm shooting sports I would like it to be way more than that at say 1/1000 sec. Of course you can easily get round this by manually setting your ISO - the performance at higher ISO speeds is way ahead of the 1Ds3.

Auto focus is brilliant and the whole camera is just streets ahead of anything else I've tried - no regrets in making the change at all.

-- hide signature --

Andy

Many thanks for your reply!

just one question, do you miss those 3 megapixel when shooting landscape? And did you notice any difference in terms of IQ at low iso settimg?

-- hide signature --

Oscar Wilde

jimi_astroman
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?

I did wonder if loosing 3mp would make a difference and imho it doesn't - the camera has so much else to offer that I wouldn't let that get in the way of a decision, and I think you would need to do a bench test in lab conditions to detect any real difference.

IQ is great and especially so at higher ISO settings.  I used to limit iso to 800 on the 1Ds3 unless it was a case of not getting the shot when I pushed it higher, but the 1DX is still producing quality at 1600 or 3200.

-- hide signature --

Andy

mario toni
Regular MemberPosts: 148Gear list
Like?
Autofocus question
In reply to jimi_astroman, Jan 16, 2013

Okay, everybody talks about how fast 1DX AF is. I now it has more AF points than 1Ds3, however my Ds3 autofocuses very fast and snappy with lenses like 24-70L or 70-200L, so I was wondering how much faster 1DX really is since my 1 is lightning fast when AF-ing and is it really worth upgrade considering the price of 1DX and the price I paid for 1Ds3! I mean if they had some marketing offer like bring your Ds3 and get 1Dx for 50% of full price...okay, but like this....nope!

-- hide signature --
 mario toni's gear list:mario toni's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +4 more
Kaoma
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?
Re: Autofocus question
In reply to mario toni, Jan 19, 2013

Have read this post am I am in the same boat, different direction...Looking to get a good landscape camera and I am torn between 1DX and 1Ds MKIII. Don't need the 15FPS and video of the 1DX but is the newest model...on the other hand, the 1Ds has 21MP and better color rendition. Shooting mostly landscapes and architecture for personal hobby and web posting. Please do NOT push 5D, 6D, 7D models, don't like child size cameras, looking for 1D model only (grown-up size).
Hard to find a new in store 1Ds MKIII and Ebay is full of abused ones sold as "great". Your oppinion please?

Kaoma's gear list:Kaoma's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50 Adobe Photoshop CS6
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads