Who Else would like to see a separate 1D/s/x forum?

Started Jan 14, 2013 | Discussions
nelsonal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,460Gear list
Like?
Re: A curious evolution I'm noticing...
In reply to ovlov, Jan 17, 2013

ovlov wrote:

I think it still sounds pretty elitist myself.

What are these poor poor souls going to do when used 1D series bodies fall into the hands of the unwashed masses?

A decent number of those advocating for change are those unwashed who picked up a cheap 1D recently.  The issue comes up because longtime and excellent posters like Michael Thomas Mitchell who have lots of firsthand knowledge related to the series, stopped posting in the 1D/5D forum several months ago.  I would prefer a system of a single camera model per forum/tag, and allow users to aggregate the forums how ever they wished.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
plevyadophy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,250Gear list
Like?
Spot on! Re: A curious evolution I'm noticing...
In reply to nelsonal, Jan 17, 2013

nelsonal wrote:

ovlov wrote:

I think it still sounds pretty elitist myself.

What are these poor poor souls going to do when used 1D series bodies fall into the hands of the unwashed masses?

A decent number of those advocating for change are those unwashed who picked up a cheap 1D recently. The issue comes up because longtime and excellent posters like Michael Thomas Mitchell who have lots of firsthand knowledge related to the series, stopped posting in the 1D/5D forum several months ago. I would prefer a system of a single camera model per forum/tag, and allow users to aggregate the forums how ever they wished.

You are spot on!

I am actually a member of the "unwashed" mass who have picked up a 1D series body cheap recently, in fact I have TWO 1D series bodies that I picked up cheaply (which I could never have afforded when they were first released at their whopping prices of in excess of £5K for the body alone).

There are many cameras that I like and have liked, and I usually spend a bit of time perusing the forums to read up on them. What I don't wanna be doing is wading through a zillion unrelated posts to find the stuff on the product I am actually interested in.

When I first had my hands on a 1D Mark III I kinda fell in love and spent a lot of time reading up on it. Luckily for me, I was reading up on it whilst it was still current so there was a lot of "first page" activity and therefore stuff was easy to find. If I, or another newbie, now want to tap into the knowledge base regarding that old camera we are gonna find it a real chore wading through all the other unrelated stuff.

Like you rightly point out, tt's nothing to do with elitism. Rather, it's to do with efficiency in accessing the info one wants and accessing the forum members who will be of most use to one's thirst for knowledge.

Often, you can lurk for a while on a forum and glean who the more experienced or knowledgeable members are on a particular thing. Until you mentioned him, although his name does kinda ring a bell, I didn't know who Michael Thomas Mitchell is and I would hazard a guess that's because I can't tell from perusing the forum who the go-to people are because I am viewing a sea of useless data (useless to me that is).

In fact, I would say that it's the great unwashed who need the forum split more; because they are ones who are new to the system and who need to get up to speed quickly.

Regards,

andrewD2
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,837
Like?
Re: A curious evolution I'm noticing...
In reply to schmegg, Jan 17, 2013

schmegg wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

andrewD2 wrote:

What makes a shooter using an old 1DIII have any different requirements in terms of this forum than say a 5D3 shooter?

Shutter bounce issue, submirrors and dots on boxes, batteries, battery chargers, accessories, custom functions, which cards to use, lens choice for 1.3x crop, expected repair costs, 2nd hand value, etc etc

I'd rather they split and I use both 1D(s) bodies and 5DIII. I could locate info faster.

I never thought that reasoning had to be "decomposed" to this basic level for the concept to be understood and stripped out of its evoked snobbery component...but, yes, it probably had to be done.

Thank you for it.

Oh - I didn't realise this was an issue for all 1D bodies but of no interest to anyone else!

Well the dots would be a 1DIII specific question and of no interest to others, the others would require a specific 1D answer.

If there was a 1D forum I could look down 20 or 40 1D related posts and see if  there was any info I could offer the poster.

I'm not going to go out of my way to search for other peoples questions even if I'd search for answers to my own.

Andrew

WalterSrChat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,132Gear list
Like?
Agree With Mike921
In reply to Mike921, Jan 17, 2013

Mike921 wrote:

If the admins feel there wouldn't be enough activity, maybe make a combination Canon/Nikon pro thread - then we can easily compare notes

I think it would work!

Walter Sr

-- hide signature --

I am out to take the perfect picture, if it exits!

WalterSrChat's gear list:WalterSrChat's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM +3 more
talico
Contributing MemberPosts: 605Gear list
Like?
5d3 sProHs - Kick the 1D bodies out of our forum
In reply to Will T, Jan 18, 2013

I have changed my mind.  I used to think the Elitist snobs with their 1D bodies thought they were too good for us.  But now that I think about it I say we kick them out.  A lot of people choose the 5DMKIII as their ultimate photographic tool.  Sometimes a 1D is just too big. The resolution is better on the 5DMKIII too.  If you need to do studio work, I'm not sure you would want anything in Canon land other than the 5D.  Say you want to take the official photo of the President of the US would you use a 1D.  Nope.  So out I say.  Push the 1D to a lesser forum, it's fine with me.

To aggravate them more I agree they should go into a Nikon/Canon "Let them eat cake" forum.

Seriously though, I think there are more similarities than differences with all of the Full Frame cameras.  That this should be just left alone.  I don't mind the current batch of Look at my 6D photos.  They will slow down.  And then rumors for the next 1Dxs body will take over.

Tom
My photos http://www.alicoatephotography.com

talico's gear list:talico's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +5 more
Schwany
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,730Gear list
Like?
Kick the 1D bodies out of our forum
In reply to talico, Jan 19, 2013

So have you posted a pic of your cat lately?

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM +14 more
aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,127Gear list
Like?
Re: Who Else would like to see a separate 1D/s/x forum?
In reply to Will T, Jan 19, 2013

Although, I am not a 1D series user, I support you.

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

aftab's gear list:aftab's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G1 X II Nikon D600 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II +2 more
DanCart
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?
In reply to Marcus Antonius, Jan 20, 2013

Marcus Antonius wrote:

What i miss is that years ago having a full frame camera was like dating the hottest girl at school and today it's like eating a big mac at the mc drive.

That comment gave me a right smile ! That is the best quote I have read in this forum this year so far.....

DanCart
Regular MemberPosts: 221
Like?
In reply to cpharm86, Jan 20, 2013

cpharm86 wrote:

I did read somewhere in a thread that those that have the 1D's may be too involved in their professional photography business having no time to post or read in these forums. That though was a one off statement.

Funny enough I also vaguely remember reading that  exact comment  on this forum a few months back !

PicOne
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,863
Like?
Re: Agree With Mike921
In reply to WalterSrChat, Jan 20, 2013

WalterSrChat wrote:

Mike921 wrote:

If the admins feel there wouldn't be enough activity, maybe make a combination Canon/Nikon pro thread - then we can easily compare notes

I think it would work!

Walter Sr

-- hide signature --

I'm sure the activity would at least match, say, the level seen in the Kodak dSLR forum.

-- hide signature --

'Everything in photography boils down to what's sharp and what's fuzzy.'
-Gaylord Herron

Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,527Gear list
Like?
This notion is a false argument...
In reply to Will T, Jan 20, 2013

...a dedicated 1 series forum will not produce enough traffic.

There is no statiscal data supporting this claim. In fact, there is data to suggest otherwise. Look at the forum traffic before the the introduction of the 5D. Pretty robust if memory serves.

Now that DPR has moderators, they can keep out the doofus' wishing to pick fights with the advanced users.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Nikon D3X Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +17 more
Marcus Antonius
Senior MemberPosts: 1,061
Like?
In reply to DanCart, Jan 20, 2013

DanCart wrote:

Marcus Antonius wrote:

What i miss is that years ago having a full frame camera was like dating the hottest girl at school and today it's like eating a big mac at the mc drive.

That comment gave me a right smile ! That is the best quote I have read in this forum this year so far.....

I'm glad to see that i can still make someone smile over here

-- hide signature --

Making a moment last forever

Richard
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,081Gear list
Like?
Re: This notion is a false argument...
In reply to Rick Knepper, Jan 21, 2013

Your memory is correct Rick, a few years after the introduction of the 5D MKI had the 1D chatter start to drop right off, now with the 6D it's just about none existant.

Anyway friends, give it up, nothing is going to change, not even an on-line poll some years ago lent any weight to the wants and needs of this forum's users.

All we can do is make a stand by not purchasing from Amazon (pretty good chance that wouldn't work either).

Rick Knepper wrote:

There is no statiscal data supporting this claim. In fact, there is data to suggest otherwise. Look at the forum traffic before the the introduction of the 5D. Pretty robust if memory serves.

Now that DPR has moderators, they can keep out the doofus' wishing to pick fights with the advanced users.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Richard's gear list:Richard's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X +6 more
schmegg
schmegg MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,258
Like?

Rick Knepper wrote:

Happy to do that!

Point 'em out and, if they are breaking the rules in any way, then they will be dealt with. PM me if you wish - I'm always happy to help if I possibly can.

I suspect in this thread though, there would be a few that would think I qualify as one of the doofuses! Hehe!

billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 3,937Gear list
Like?
Request Granted
In reply to Will T, Jan 21, 2013

You have my permission.  What's the next step?  Go ahead and do it.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

Peter Galbavy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,012
Like?
Yes! Oh deity yes!
In reply to Will T, Jan 21, 2013

I only come along once in a while because I cannot be arsed hunt through all the full-frame instagrammers for real discussions.

-- hide signature --

Peter Galbavy

Ranchhand
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marcus Antonius, Jan 21, 2013

Absolutely.  I think it is a great idea due to the uniqueness of the 1D/s/x models.

Ranchhand's gear list:Ranchhand's gear list
Leica D-Lux 6 Leica M Typ 240 Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH
talico
Contributing MemberPosts: 605Gear list
Like?
In reply to schmegg, Jan 21, 2013

schmegg wrote:

Rick Knepper wrote:

Happy to do that!

Point 'em out and, if they are breaking the rules in any way, then they will be dealt with. PM me if you wish - I'm always happy to help if I possibly can.

I suspect in this thread though, there would be a few that would think I qualify as one of the doofuses! Hehe!

Then we are doofues together.  My post here about the 5DmKIII being used for the president was probably viewed as aggressive.  I think the bottom line is that this "problem" of not having an exclusive forum is bogus.  Make things what you want.  If there isn't enough real information here, then provide your own.  Make the forum the way you want.  There will be 6D and 5D users, but label your posts accordingly so that they are easy to see, and then scan the forum once a day. you won't miss anything and it will take all of about 30 seconds to scan.

This is similar to complaining about your camera and not taking photos.  This forum is good enough to facilitate amazing discussion.  Your camera is good enough to take amazing photos.  Don't sit there and complain, do something about it.   If everyone went out and created an interesting\Educational post, and took some interesting and technically proficient photos to share with the group, I think this would be a better place even without separation into smaller groups.

Tom
My photos http://www.alicoatephotography.com

talico's gear list:talico's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +5 more
Schwany
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,730Gear list
Like?
Now that's just funny

Rick Knepper wrote:

Couldn't agree more. The traffic would be fine. Besides, traffic alone does not a quality forum make. If it did this thread and topic would never pop up.

I'm guessing you're not really talking about photographers in this scenario. I personally would not appreciate a short timer in need of a power fix kicking me out of any forum on this site because I didn't agree with someone that felt they were an advanced user beyond reproach. Anyway, that advanced user versus doofus concept gave me a chuckle.

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM +14 more
grammieb14
Senior MemberPosts: 2,211Gear list
Like?
Re: Agree With Mike921
In reply to WalterSrChat, Jan 21, 2013

WalterSrChat wrote:

Mike921 wrote:

I think it would work!

Walter Sr

-- hide signature --

Yes, we can have a group of Canon & Nikon fans in virtual diapers beating each other with their virtual bottles & pacifiers.  I am sorry to have to say this , but that is how all the back fighting about who has the better camera or sensor always strikes me.  But as a grandmother, I am use to dealing with children who haven't had their nap.  Bab

grammieb14's gear list:grammieb14's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads