Who Else would like to see a separate 1D/s/x forum?

Started Jan 14, 2013 | Discussions
schmegg
schmegg MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,083
Like?
Re: A curious evolution I'm noticing...
In reply to PhotoKhan, Jan 16, 2013

PhotoKhan wrote:

...is that while this was a topic that would generate immediate "you're an elitist" backlash when it was brought up years ago, when only the 5D was put together with the 1D cameras, it now resonates as positive, reasonable request for a signification amount of users.

I guess multiplication of a problem tends to make it more clearly perceivable.

Oh - I wouldn't be so certain about that at all. I suspect there are many that are simply holding their tongues.

What I find funny is that these threads pop-up every time there is a new camera that is released and it's not a 1D. LOL!

The forum gets busy for six months with talk about the new body, and all the 1D shooters get shirty that they need to "wade through posts" to read one of the dozen or so 1D threads that have been posted lately.

Then, when things get back to normal, everything is OK again! Hehe!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Klaus
Regular MemberPosts: 266
Like?
In reply to schmegg, Jan 16, 2013

schmegg wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

...is that while this was a topic that would generate immediate "you're an elitist" backlash when it was brought up years ago, when only the 5D was put together with the 1D cameras, it now resonates as positive, reasonable request for a signification amount of users.

Oh - I wouldn't be so certain about that at all. I suspect there are many that are simply holding their tongues.

What I find funny is that these threads pop-up every time there is a new camera that is released and it's not a 1D. LOL!

The forum gets busy for six months with talk about the new body, and all the 1D shooters get shirty that they need to "wade through posts" to read one of the dozen or so 1D threads that have been posted lately.

Its not necessary ok, because nobody is asking for a while. I t could be because people are tired of asking! As you can read many people (including myself), are actually staying away for years, because of this.

It should not be to much to ask for, its quite simple to do. And this website would be nothing without the users.

Cant you (as a moderator) do something? I mean bring this up for the people behind the site?

-- hide signature --
schmegg
schmegg MOD
Like?
In reply to Klaus, Jan 16, 2013

Klaus wrote:

schmegg wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

Oh - I wouldn't be so certain about that at all. I suspect there are many that are simply holding their tongues.

Its not necessary ok, because nobody is asking for a while. I t could be because people are tired of asking! As you can read many people (including myself), are actually staying away for years, because of this.

That's not good and a pity in a number of ways in my mind.

The main one being that some 1D shooters could actually give some very good assistance on this forum to fellow ff shooters. I find it a pity that there aren't more community minded 1D shooters to be perfectly honest - but that's not to say there aren't some very helpful and constructive 1D contributors here either!

Aside from that, I personally enjoy the 1D threads as much as any others and think they are quite relevant to 5D (and now 6D) shooters. I'm not one for segregation - I'd rather inclusion.

I just looked back through the posts and I counted about four 1D related posts in the last day - and that's with a new 1D just released recently!

It took me maybe half a minute to do this, so I'm a bit 'unmoved' by the claim that one must "wade through" a bunch of interestingness posts.

Why do 1D users think it's any different for anyone else who uses the forum trying to find particular information that they are interested in?

It should not be to much to ask for, its quite simple to do. And this website would be nothing without the users.

Cant you (as a moderator) do something? I mean bring this up for the people behind the site?

Unfortunately, I have as much chance as any of the rest of you. The forum admins can be PM'ed just as easily by you as they can by me - but you are probably more motivated in this particular case.

I certainly have their support, but I don't have any particular influence in how they choose to run their own site.

Don't get me wrong though - I'm not completely 'opposed' to the idea. A 1D forum would be very quite and easy to moderate (probably), but I personally just can see it being worth the effort for the admins to implement it (not really knowing, like the rest of you, exactly how much effort would actually be involved).

And I'd really rather see the 1D shooters take part in the community more rather than wanting to split off and create their own little isolated corner.

(the opinions expressed here are just one persons opinions of course - and they are simply my opinions as a forum user, not as a DPR moderator - put out here as a point of discussion)

plevyadophy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,250Gear list
Like?

schmegg wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

But normal should be a situation where the 1D shooters never have to "get shirty" to borrow your phraseology.

And for Nikon, as I pointed out earlier, DPReview found it useful to seperate the DX format camera forums into DX and DX Pro. So why not do similarly for Canon full frame users? And even if 1D users aren't as numerous as 5D/6D users, why crowd them out under the throng of 5D/6D posts? Why can not the 1D users get some breathing space?  And further more, if I were to use a car analogy I would say that the 1D is akin to a Mercedes S Class; it may not have the greatest number of owners in the brand but it's the prestige model that brings buyers to the brand. So have some respect and give the 1D/S Class some breathing space.

And I bet if you go over to a Mercedes forum you don't see the S Class bundled with the E Class simply because an E Class also has an AMG variant!

plevyadophy
Like?
Wrong! Re: A curious evolution I'm noticing...

schmegg wrote:

Klaus wrote:

schmegg wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

The main one being that some 1D shooters could actually give some very good assistance on this forum to fellow ff shooters. I find it a pity that there aren't more community minded 1D shooters to be perfectly honest - but that's not to say there aren't some very helpful and constructive 1D contributors here either!

Aside from that, I personally enjoy the 1D threads as much as any others and think they are quite relevant to 5D (and now 6D) shooters. I'm not one for segregation - I'd rather inclusion.

I just looked back through the posts and I counted about four 1D related posts in the last day - and that's with a new 1D just released recently!

It took me maybe half a minute to do this, so I'm a bit 'unmoved' by the claim that one must "wade through" a bunch of interestingness posts.

Why do 1D users think it's any different for anyone else who uses the forum trying to find particular information that they are interested in?

Unfortunately, I have as much chance as any of the rest of you. The forum admins can be PM'ed just as easily by you as they can by me - but you are probably more motivated in this particular case.

I certainly have their support, but I don't have any particular influence in how they choose to run their own site.

Don't get me wrong though - I'm not completely 'opposed' to the idea. A 1D forum would be very quite and easy to moderate (probably), but I personally just can see it being worth the effort for the admins to implement it (not really knowing, like the rest of you, exactly how much effort would actually be involved).

And I'd really rather see the 1D shooters take part in the community more rather than wanting to split off and create their own little isolated corner.

(the opinions expressed here are just one persons opinions of course - and they are simply my opinions as a forum user, not as a DPR moderator - put out here as a point of discussion)

Wrong!!

It's no real effort at all. Well, if I am wrong, it's certainly not a big effort such that it can't be done.

When micro Four Thirds (mFT) came along it was originally dumped in the main Olympus and seperate Panasonic Forums. Then DPReview admin put out a post asking members if they would like to see a unified mFT forum. The majority seemed to say yes they would. Within days, all posts about mFT cams previously posted in Oly and Panny forums were transferred to the new unified mFT forum (personally, I don't like the unified thing for the same reasons I am a supporter of the move to an exclusively 1D forum).

So the notion that creating an exclusively 1D forum may be too onerous a task for the admin is a fallacy.

schmegg
schmegg MOD
Like?
In reply to plevyadophy, Jan 16, 2013

plevyadophy wrote:

schmegg wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

But normal should be a situation where the 1D shooters never have to "get shirty" to borrow your phraseology.

And for Nikon, as I pointed out earlier, DPReview found it useful to seperate the DX format camera forums into DX and DX Pro. So why not do similarly for Canon full frame users? And even if 1D users aren't as numerous as 5D/6D users, why crowd them out under the throng of 5D/6D posts? Why can not the 1D users get some breathing space? And further more, if I were to use a car analogy I would say that the 1D is akin to a Mercedes S Class; it may not have the greatest number of owners in the brand but it's the prestige model that brings buyers to the brand. So have some respect and give the 1D/S Class some breathing space.

Like I said, it's not up to me.

If it was, I'd be reluctant based on both the number of posts being made regarding the 1D series, and the potential value to shooters of (perhaps) lesser skill or knowledge that 1D shooters could offer this forum.

And I bet if you go over to a Mercedes forum you don't see the S Class bundled with the E Class simply because an E Class also has an AMG variant!

Well - how are you thinking it should be divided?

What makes a shooter using an old 1DIII have any different requirements in terms of this forum than say a 5D3 shooter? The 5D3 is a more capable camera in many ways. It's used by many professional shooters, just as the 1DIII is. Do you think that a 1DIII shooter would not have any interest in a 5D3 or have anything useful to contribute to the 5D3 discussions? Do you think that the different applications have no useful crossover and that different experiences have nothing to offer others?

All these questions and more go through my mind. I'm left thinking that the 1D shooters are just wanting to have a bit of red carpet laid down for them so they don't have to put up with what everyone else in this community has to put up with.

Or is that too harsh.

schmegg
schmegg MOD
Like?
Re: Wrong! Re: A curious evolution I'm noticing...

plevyadophy wrote:

schmegg wrote:

Klaus wrote:

schmegg wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

It took me maybe half a minute to do this, so I'm a bit 'unmoved' by the claim that one must "wade through" a bunch of interestingness posts.

Don't get me wrong though - I'm not completely 'opposed' to the idea. A 1D forum would be very quite and easy to moderate (probably), but I personally just can see it being worth the effort for the admins to implement it (not really knowing, like the rest of you, exactly how much effort would actually be involved).

Wrong!!

It's no real effort at all. Well, if I am wrong, it's certainly not a big effort such that it can't be done.

Whether or not something can be done is not an indication of how difficult it may or may not be to do.

Or is it your contention that it's a trivial effort to put a man on the moon?

In any case - I'll bow out now. I just wanted to throw a different perspective into the discussion - and I realised that it wouldn't be popular, but I felt it needed to be said.

I meant no offence with my statements, and believe me, I understand your frustrations regarding finding the info that you are interested in. It's a problem we all deal with, I can assure you!

Good luck in your pursuits - you never know, you might be more successful in convincing the admins than you were with me. And, at the end of the day, providing you are following the rules, I'm just another voice in the crowd and nothing more!

plevyadophy
Like?

schmegg wrote:

plevyadophy wrote:

schmegg wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

And for Nikon, as I pointed out earlier, DPReview found it useful to seperate the DX format camera forums into DX and DX Pro. So why not do similarly for Canon full frame users? And even if 1D users aren't as numerous as 5D/6D users, why crowd them out under the throng of 5D/6D posts? Why can not the 1D users get some breathing space? And further more, if I were to use a car analogy I would say that the 1D is akin to a Mercedes S Class; it may not have the greatest number of owners in the brand but it's the prestige model that brings buyers to the brand. So have some respect and give the 1D/S Class some breathing space.

If it was, I'd be reluctant based on both the number of posts being made regarding the 1D series, and the potential value to shooters of (perhaps) lesser skill or knowledge that 1D shooters could offer this forum.

What makes a shooter using an old 1DIII have any different requirements in terms of this forum than say a 5D3 shooter? The 5D3 is a more capable camera in many ways. It's used by many professional shooters, just as the 1DIII is. Do you think that a 1DIII shooter would not have any interest in a 5D3 or have anything useful to contribute to the 5D3 discussions? Do you think that the different applications have no useful crossover and that different experiences have nothing to offer others?

All these questions and more go through my mind. I'm left thinking that the 1D shooters are just wanting to have a bit of red carpet laid down for them so they don't have to put up with what everyone else in this community has to put up with.

Or is that too harsh.

Yes, way too harsh.

And initially you were annoying me by your posts, but now I think you are just engaged in a bit of rib tickling, a kind of devils' advocate.

The reasons for wanting a separate forum have nothing to do with red carpets; the reasoning is the same for why DPReview decided to move mFT cams to their own forum (taken from the standard Four Thirds forums) and no doubt why they also found it a good idea to divide the Nikon DX forums along the same lines as are being suggested by myself and others here, which I think you jolly well know!

So I shall consider my ribs thoroughly tickled and suggest that you go test some others peeps' sensitivity to touch.

Oh, and the notion of imprisoning 1D users in a forum they are not happy with so as to perhaps squeeze some pearls of wisdom out of them for the benefit of other camera body users, doesn't hold much water. To follow your logic, DPReview should abandon the Pro Digital Talk Forum on the basis that all that juicy pro knowledge should be scattered like confetti around the various forums.

Really, if one wants more knowledge than one already has the simple solution is to go to where that knowledge can be found; if I want info I can't find in this forum I go to the Pro Talk forum, Lighting forum or wherever, and likewise I don't see why the 5D users can't just come over to a 1D forum if there is something they wanna know.

Marcus Antonius
Senior MemberPosts: 1,025
Like?
#1 reason, "it keeps people away from these forums". I think that's enough said.
In reply to Will T, Jan 16, 2013

I can't think of any reason why non 1d users would vote against having a seperate forum for these camera's, aside from envy. And the suggestion that it "could" be alot of work to seperate these forums is something i can put down instantly. (I work for a company that builds websites similar to this one daily, and adding another forum is not timeconsuming at all.)

The reason why i would vote in favor of a seperare 1d forum as a non 1d user (mind you!) is that if it could bring back quality to these forums i would vote for such an idea every day!

Marcus

-- hide signature --

Making a moment last forever

schmegg
schmegg MOD
Like?

plevyadophy wrote:

schmegg wrote:

plevyadophy wrote:

schmegg wrote:

PhotoKhan wrote:

Or is that too harsh.

Yes, way too harsh.

And initially you were annoying me by your posts, but now I think you are just engaged in a bit of rib tickling, a kind of devils' advocate.

Exactly.

The reasons for wanting a separate forum have nothing to do with red carpets; the reasoning is the same for why DPReview decided to move mFT cams to their own forum (taken from the standard Four Thirds forums) and no doubt why they also found it a good idea to divide the Nikon DX forums along the same lines as are being suggested by myself and others here, which I think you jolly well know!

So I shall consider my ribs thoroughly tickled and suggest that you go test some others peeps' sensitivity to touch.

Thanks for your understanding - much appreciated.

Oh, and the notion of imprisoning 1D users in a forum they are not happy with so as to perhaps squeeze some pearls of wisdom out of them for the benefit of other camera body users, doesn't hold much water. To follow your logic, DPReview should abandon the Pro Digital Talk Forum on the basis that all that juicy pro knowledge should be scattered like confetti around the various forums.

Not exactly what I was getting at. But I know what you are saying.

I just think it'd be nice if the spirit was a bit more 'community minded' rather than (to jokingly paraphrase) "Oh, it's such a chore having to share this forum with such ignorant, trivial people"

Really, if one wants more knowledge than one already has the simple solution is to go to where that knowledge can be found; if I want info I can't find in this forum I go to the Pro Talk forum, Lighting forum or wherever, and likewise I don't see why the 5D users can't just come over to a 1D forum if there is something they wanna know.

You simplify things a bit there in my opinion.

If someone makes a post to this forum, they will reach users of all Canons full frame gear and also   users of all the 'flagship' models. That, in my eyes, is a valuable audience. Splitting away the 'flagship' shooters means, for the other shooters ...

1. missing out on feedback from users of their own camera (if they post to the 1D forum).

2. missing out on the feedback from the 'flagship' shooters (if they post to the 5D/6D forum).

3. posting to both and breaking the forum rules.

Is it really that much of a hassle for 1D shooters to find 1D posts? And why would it be warranted for 1D shooters to have the special privilege of a more focused forum when others don't get this benefit? (though you could mount a rather pitiful argument that the 5D/6D shooters wouldn't have to 'wade' through the overwhelming noise of the 1D posts I guess - hehe).

Wait a minute! I was going to bow out - doh!

Jaims
Senior MemberPosts: 2,071Gear list
Like?
Re: #1 reason, "it keeps people away from these forums". I think that's enough said. +1
In reply to Marcus Antonius, Jan 16, 2013

Marcus Antonius wrote:

I can't think of any reason why non 1d users would vote against having a seperate forum for these camera's, aside from envy. And the suggestion that it "could" be alot of work to seperate these forums is something i can put down instantly. (I work for a company that builds websites similar to this one daily, and adding another forum is not timeconsuming at all.)

The reason why i would vote in favor of a seperare 1d forum as a non 1d user (mind you!) is that if it could bring back quality to these forums i would vote for such an idea every day!

Marcus

-- hide signature --

Making a moment last forever

IMHO, and to bring my own 0.02 on, I have to say that I seem to have detected a 'worsening' in the quality of the contents in the forum.

As it is my subjective opinion, I grant that it might not be necessarily true. But it is indeed something that I believe has happened.

Besides, I'm not implying that the 'worse' contents of today compared to the past (some few years ago) is a consecuence of not having separate threads for 5D/6D and 1D. But I think that there are nowadays too much threads along the lines of 'should I upgrade to?' or 'which lens for my XX cam?' or 'the Nikons have more DR lets complain against Canon'...

These are legit questions, I am not questioning that; but it is pretty rare today to find in the forum good photography content provided by people that are good at it. And yes, I know that this is a gear forum

I sincerely hope that no one here feels offended or whatever, that's furthest from my mind.

For starteres, I for one can't provide 'quality content' so to speak to the forum. And I really think that every thread is legit and has a right to belong to the forum.

But as an inexpert and amateur and hobbyist photographer, which several Canon cams and lenses, I miss some past times when I would find a lot to learn here. Would a separate 1D thread (pros) provide more 'quality content'? I don't know, maybe yes... or maybe not

Regards

Jaims's gear list:Jaims's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +9 more
andrewD2
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,830
Like?
What makes a shooter using an old 1DIII have any different requirements in terms of this forum than say a 5D3 shooter?

Shutter bounce issue, submirrors and dots on boxes, batteries, battery chargers, accessories, custom functions, which cards to use, lens choice for 1.3x crop, expected repair costs, 2nd hand value, etc etc

I'd rather they split and I use both 1D(s) bodies and 5DIII. I could locate info faster.

Andrew

plevyadophy
Like?
brilliant! Well said! Re: A curious evolution I'm noticing...
In reply to andrewD2, Jan 16, 2013

andrewD2 wrote:

What makes a shooter using an old 1DIII have any different requirements in terms of this forum than say a 5D3 shooter?

Shutter bounce issue, submirrors and dots on boxes, batteries, battery chargers, accessories, custom functions, which cards to use, lens choice for 1.3x crop, expected repair costs, 2nd hand value, etc etc

I'd rather they split and I use both 1D(s) bodies and 5DIII. I could locate info faster.

Andrew

Bravo!!!

Well said!

Exactly. And far more succinct than my irate posts have been.

Thanks.

Rock and Rollei
Regular MemberPosts: 435Gear list
Like?

In all honesty, I think there are way too many forums on here already, and would personally much prefer just one Canon forum to having to look in here, in the lens forum, in the 7D bit and just about anywhere for the M, which is the one that probably needs most discussion anyway. I understand others may have different preferences, but bear in mind that the powers that be have to do their best to keep everyone happy, so the current situation might actually be the best compromise.

Rock and Rollei's gear list:Rock and Rollei's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 450D Kodak DCS Pro SLR/c Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +34 more
nelsonal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,456Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rock and Rollei, Jan 16, 2013

The baffling thing about this debate is that a database should allow both sides to eat their cake and have it too.  A sub forum that could be viewed separately or combined with the main forum as a user preference would allow those who wanted all of canon's full frame model posts together to do so, and separately could still do so.

There's almost no reason not to have sub forums down to the individual camera model, but that are easily aggregated to any user's preferred level (model line, brand, mount, etc).

Michael Todd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,850
Like?
Why was my comment removed?

The one that was saying it was like a Corvette forum where 98% of the posts were about Camaros?

-- hide signature --

peace
-Todd Muskopf
High School Senior Portraits in Beavercreek, Ohio (near Dayton)
www.muskopf.org
www.ohioindependentartists.com

PhotoKhan
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,980Gear list
Like?

andrewD2 wrote:

I never thought that reasoning had to be "decomposed" to this basic level for the concept to be understood and stripped out of its evoked snobbery component...but, yes, it probably had to be done.

Thank you for it.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)
-------------------------------------------------

talico
Contributing MemberPosts: 600Gear list
Like?
5d3 sProHs - I think I have a solution

OK, we all understand that some people want out of this forum.  Well, it doesn't seem like the powers that be want to let that happen.  So, make your own group inside the group.  When you create a post, use a special prefix to make sure people can quickly locate what they want to read. You could even add additional info to further categorize your post.

The subject line could look like this:

1dx ProSC - I just shot an artistic photo of my cat, Wow!

Just pick the prefixes that are right for you.

Prefixes for camera:

1dx, 1ds3, 1d4, 5d3,5d2, etc...  This one is simple, and some people do it already.

Prefixes for Professional level:

• Pro- 50% of salary comes from photography.
  • sPro- Less than 50% of Salary comes from photography, but you actual offer services and sell photos.
  • AdvAm- You know what you are doing, but you don't need the money or headache.
  • Am- Photography is still fun for you.
  • Hack- Sadly this will never be used, a lot of people are in denial.  Don't tell me, I don't want to know.
  • Newbie- Welcome to the full frame club! It's better here right?
  • G- GearHead - I have thousands of posts about technical drivel, but have never posted a single photo, or entered a single challenge.

Prefixes for type of post:

• T for Tech,
  • S for Samples,
  • A for Accessories,
  • P for procedural comments and questions.
  • F for Feline photos.  Its seriously about half of the forum.
  • C for general comments and complaining
  • KR for posts related to what Ken Rockwell thinks
  • Fc for Canon Fanboy ranting, others are also available  Fn, Fs, Fm
  • H for Humorous post.
  • Hs Humor with Sarcasm. Some people need to be told upfront. 
  • Hn No sense of humor

I think this could work.  The longer you stay at the forums, the better you will get at using the prefixes.  You can spot a 6D NCHn post a mile away.  If they don't use a prefix, they don't belong and you can ignore them.

Maybe each person should take a photo of themselves for their Avatar in the Mirror holding their Camera.  Similar to a verified Buyer status on B&H.

Please propose your own prefixes.

Tom
My photos http://www.alicoatephotography.com

talico's gear list:talico's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +5 more
Schwany
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,463Gear list
Like?
A curious devolution I'm noticing...
In reply to PhotoKhan, Jan 16, 2013

PhotoKhan wrote:

andrewD2 wrote:

I never thought that reasoning had to be "decomposed" to this basic level for the concept to be understood and stripped out of its evoked snobbery component...but, yes, it probably had to be done.

Yeah, I have 1.6 crop, 1.3 crop, and FF (1Ds, 5DII) bodies, and would rather see the 1D series split off. The 1D(s) bodies are different, especially the old ones. If the forum pace was slow, so be it. It might be so slow moderation would almost be unnecessary. Less burden on the management end. A win win

Schwany's gear list:Schwany's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +14 more
robertsd
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
Re: Who Else would like to see a separate 1D/s/x forum?

Will T wrote:

Who Else would like to see a separate 1D/s/x forum?

I have ever since the 5D was added!

-- hide signature --

Will T. 'Make everything as possible as it is simple, but not impossible.'

Yes.  Its too crowded here.  Why not separate into 1D/s/x, 5D/I/II/III, 7D and 6D

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads