Looking to purchase an external hard drive for LR4....suggestions?

Started Jan 14, 2013 | Discussions
hat view
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?
Looking to purchase an external hard drive for LR4....suggestions?
Jan 14, 2013

What should I look for when purchasing an external drive for use with Lightroom 4.  Plan to use with laptop and PC desktop.

malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,472
Like?
Re: Looking to purchase an external hard drive for LR4....suggestions?
In reply to hat view, Jan 14, 2013

hat view wrote:

What should I look for when purchasing an external drive for use with Lightroom 4. Plan to use with laptop and PC desktop.

With external drives the key consideration is the method used to connect:

* USB2

* USB3

* eSATA

Which of these interfaces do you have available on this computer?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
hat view
Like?
In reply to malch, Jan 14, 2013

USB3 is what we have.  Thanks for the help!

malch
Forum ProPosts: 10,472
Like?
In reply to hat view, Jan 14, 2013

hat view wrote:

USB3 is what we have. Thanks for the help!

Here are three decent options:

1. The Western Digital MyBook Essential has USB3 and is inexpensive (3TB for $150 at B&H). On the downside, you'll probably get a 5400rpm spinner. I think they're fine for photos but I would make sure the LR catalog is on a faster drive (SSD is best).

2. If you want a 7200rpm drive with a great build quality (nice metal case with fins for cooling) the Lacie products are great (but pricey).

3. I have also bought bare SATA drives (e.g. WD Caviar Greens) and installed them in an enclosure with USB3 interface. However, if you plan on running the drive continuously, get a decent enclosure with adequate cooling. If you hate fan noise like me, look for passive cooling.

hat view
Like?
In reply to malch, Jan 14, 2013

Thank you for the advice!  Looking into the Lacie option you mentioned.  There is a "rugged" one that might do the trick.

DanlB
Regular MemberPosts: 183
Like?
In reply to hat view, Jan 15, 2013

I use WD, Seagate, etc. 1 and 2 TB portables and have not issues with LR4 and sharing between my desktop and laptop.  The extras are backup copies, one on site and the other off site.

calson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,312
Like?
In reply to hat view, Jan 17, 2013

My first choice would be an enclosure that held two mirrored drives so if one fails no data is lost. The enclosure would have both USB 3.0 and 1GB Ethernet. With the Ethernet it is easy to have a very fast connection to many laptops and desktops (10x the speed of 100MG Ethernet) and to move data using a wireless router if desired. USB 3 is 10x the speed of USB 2 and so also important to actually work with the files on the external hard drive.

hat view
Like?
In reply to calson, Jan 17, 2013

Thank you for the help.  I should also mention that I would like to have a drive that is portable unless posters think that it is a bad idea.  I am using this for personal use only.  I am learning the ropes for LR and photography at this point.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads