My GH3 EVF - a new observation and opinion

Started Jan 12, 2013 | Discussions
sea_dragon
Contributing MemberPosts: 580Gear list
Like?
My GH3 EVF - a new observation and opinion
Jan 12, 2013

Sorry, I started a new thread because there are already quite a few and I didn't know which one to post a reply to.

I just thought of something that hadn't occurred to me before. Have someone with known good vision to look at my GH3.

My wife has 20/20 vision and I just asked her to look closely into the GH3 viewfinder. I showed her how to adjust the diopter to the point where the image was sharp for her (obviously different than my setting).

Anyway, I asked her to specifically have a look around the viewfinder and tell me if the image is sharp. She told me that everything was tack sharp. She looked into the center and then each corner and said that there was no distortion or anything "strange" looking. I questioned her again to ensure that she was indeed seeing a good, sharp image. She replied, that she saw nothing wrong and everything looked very sharp.  She said if she moved her eye off center, the other side would "smudge".  But with her eye centered, it was fine.

So, I think I can conclude that, at least in MY case and with my copy of the GH3, the faults that I see in the EVF are due to MY vision impairments.  That, plus the apparent small "sweet spot" of the EVF.  I wear glasses and also have astigmatism. I suppose short of having laser eye surgery, I'll NEVER see the EVF as clearly as someone with good eyes.

Just wanted to mention this for what its worth.

 sea_dragon's gear list:sea_dragon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,216Gear list
Like?
Re: My GH3 EVF - a new observation and opinion
In reply to sea_dragon, Jan 13, 2013

Their was never anything wrong with the GH-3 viewfinder.

I hear more complaints about the Olympus OMD.

 ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
AoxoA
Regular MemberPosts: 295Gear list
Like?
Re: My GH3 EVF - a new observation and opinion
In reply to ryan2007, Jan 13, 2013

ryan2007 wrote:

Their was never anything wrong with the GH-3 viewfinder.

I hear more complaints about the Olympus OMD.

Of course you do...

 AoxoA's gear list:AoxoA's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,129Gear list
Like?
Re: My GH3 EVF - a new observation and opinion
In reply to sea_dragon, Jan 13, 2013

My guess that Panasonic put cheap, maybe  stamped plastic, dioter lens on the top of EVF, and this is bad.

Another thought: to make sure your test is correct, ask somebody else who does not have eye problems to check your EVF the same way you conduct it with your wife

Regards

S.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

 s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RicksAstro
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,206Gear list
Like?
Re: My GH3 EVF - a new observation and opinion
In reply to sea_dragon, Jan 13, 2013

From what I've observed here, I suspect that the vast majority of GH3 EVFs are about the same.     There seems to be a certain set of conditions (observers eyes, astigmatism, eye position) that makes it looks worse than to others.   To those people, many are convinced all GH3 EVFs are bad, and they certainly are bad to them.   From some reports, some users have looked through multiple GH3s and they looked about the same (good or bad).

I observe large differences in ghosting when I recorded through the viewfinder and changed the zoom of my HX9V, but when I look through it using my eye (which is a -1.5 diopter prescription with some astigmatism) it looks quite sharp, with ghosting only if I move off-axis.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rod Baakkonen
Regular MemberPosts: 316Gear list
Like?
Re: My GH3 EVF - a new observation and opinion
In reply to RicksAstro, Jan 13, 2013

I've had my GH3 since Jan 3rd and don't see a problem.  I tried the demo camera in the store to see if it had a problem and could not see what people have been documenting.  Maybe some of us are just lucky to not have a camera with the issue.

-- hide signature --

Rod

 Rod Baakkonen's gear list:Rod Baakkonen's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Adobe Photoshop CS6 Adobe Camera Raw 7 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,216Gear list
Like?
Re: My GH3 EVF - a new observation and opinion
In reply to AoxoA, Jan 13, 2013

AoxoA wrote:

ryan2007 wrote:

Their was never anything wrong with the GH-3 viewfinder.

I hear more complaints about the Olympus OMD.

Of course you do...

I see you do not disagree.

 ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Serenoa
Forum MemberPosts: 75Gear list
Like?
Re: My GH3 EVF - a new observation and opinion
In reply to Rod Baakkonen, Jan 13, 2013

My GH3 is about a week old, and I have upgraded from the G2 which I used for about 2 years.

I have extremely poor close vision (prescription more than +5 and other adjustments).  What I like about both the G2 and now the GH3 is that I can adjust the EVF diopter to the extreme and use the EVF without my glasses.  I need the glasses on to use the larger monitor panel.

I primarily shoot using the EVF because it looks clearer to me and easier to focus.

That said, I was concerned before my GH3 arrived last week, after reading all the posts about the blurring problems. Thankfully, it is not a problem for me and I am very happy with the camera.

My EVF is perfectly clear to me (with the diopter adjusted to max) and the only way I can even get any kind of blur on the display is if I cant/tilt my head towards the side (so that my eye is no longer parallel to the EVF).  But at that point, part of the screen is blackened out on the opposite side, so it is not anything I would ever be tempted to do.

I think the problem is only visible if you do not have the camera appropriately held up to your eye. I have the top of the rubber EVF surround resting on my brow bone on the top of my eye.

 Serenoa's gear list:Serenoa's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Inkheart
Regular MemberPosts: 321Gear list
Like?
Re: My GH3 EVF - a new observation and opinion
In reply to sea_dragon, Jan 13, 2013

I think there might be something wrong with this EVF. Let's take a look at Sony's EVF - it is generally highly praised and probably currently the best out there. So, if there is an EVF that does not create so much controversy and is commonly considered very good, than if the EVF of the GH3 is so much criticized it must simply mean that it's not that good.

And I guess that's the biggest problem. It may be good, but it could have been better, and that's what people are expecting from a top of the line camera, especially since better EVFs have been out for a few years now.

-- hide signature --

Inkheart

 Inkheart's gear list:Inkheart's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Aleo Veuliah
Forum ProPosts: 14,455Gear list
Like?
Re: My GH3 EVF - a new observation and opinion
In reply to sea_dragon, Jan 13, 2013

sea_dragon wrote:

Sorry, I started a new thread because there are already quite a few and I didn't know which one to post a reply to.

I just thought of something that hadn't occurred to me before. Have someone with known good vision to look at my GH3.

My wife has 20/20 vision and I just asked her to look closely into the GH3 viewfinder. I showed her how to adjust the diopter to the point where the image was sharp for her (obviously different than my setting).

Anyway, I asked her to specifically have a look around the viewfinder and tell me if the image is sharp. She told me that everything was tack sharp. She looked into the center and then each corner and said that there was no distortion or anything "strange" looking. I questioned her again to ensure that she was indeed seeing a good, sharp image. She replied, that she saw nothing wrong and everything looked very sharp. She said if she moved her eye off center, the other side would "smudge". But with her eye centered, it was fine.

So, I think I can conclude that, at least in MY case and with my copy of the GH3, the faults that I see in the EVF are due to MY vision impairments. That, plus the apparent small "sweet spot" of the EVF. I wear glasses and also have astigmatism. I suppose short of having laser eye surgery, I'll NEVER see the EVF as clearly as someone with good eyes.

Just wanted to mention this for what its worth.

I use contact lenses, and with them I did not found any fault on the GH3 EVF.


-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
God always take the simplest way.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Aleo Photo Site

 Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Nikon 1 V3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Alband
New MemberPosts: 4Gear list
Like?
Re: My GH3 EVF - a new observation and opinion
In reply to sea_dragon, Jan 13, 2013

I got my GH3 December 13., and my fiirst impression of the viewfinder after adjusting the diopter was: " Wow, - this is better than the GH2 ! ".

The picture in the viewfinder seems to be a little smaller compared to both GH1 and GH2, but sharpness, contrast and color is considerably better, - in my opinion.

The central, magnifying part of the diopter also appears to be a little smaller in GH3 compared to preceding GH cameras, and this may cause the modest degree of distortion that occurs when the eye is off-center in the viewfinder. I did not experience this as a problem, - adaption didn't take long. I use reading glasses (+ 2.50), by the way.

-- hide signature --

Bralte

 Alband's gear list:Alband's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD950 IS Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nikcan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,295Gear list
Like?
Re: My GH3 EVF - a new observation and opinion
In reply to Alband, Jan 13, 2013

Alband wrote:

I got my GH3 December 13., and my fiirst impression of the viewfinder after adjusting the diopter was: " Wow, - this is better than the GH2 ! ".

The picture in the viewfinder seems to be a little smaller compared to both GH1 and GH2, but sharpness, contrast and color is considerably better, - in my opinion.

The central, magnifying part of the diopter also appears to be a little smaller in GH3 compared to preceding GH cameras, and this may cause the modest degree of distortion that occurs when the eye is off-center in the viewfinder. I did not experience this as a problem, - adaption didn't take long. I use reading glasses (+ 2.50), by the way.

-- hide signature --

Bralte

My two pennies  in the subject, I have had the GH3 a month now, and wear bifocals. Today as it was not raining in the UK for a change so I went to a local park and fitted the 100-300 mm lens on the GH3 to primary take bird pictures on the lake. A while later I got out my GH2 to take a few landscape shots with an old 14-45mm and boy what a difference the viewfinder was.

The GH3 viewfinder was much better and I was surprised as I have had the GH2 for nearly two years. The corners are sharper, the viewfinder has better clarity and colour. I am 66 years old and have just booked an eye test after two years of having my glasses.

Best Regards Mike.
http://michaelgoodes.blogspot.com/
http://ekim.zenfolio.com
'Live every day as if it was your last, one day it will be'.

 Nikcan's gear list:Nikcan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pete Berry
Senior MemberPosts: 2,018
Like?
Mine a disappointment
In reply to Nikcan, Jan 13, 2013

Nikcan wrote:

Alband wrote:

I got my GH3 December 13., and my fiirst impression of the viewfinder after adjusting the diopter was: " Wow, - this is better than the GH2 ! ".

The picture in the viewfinder seems to be a little smaller compared to both GH1 and GH2, but sharpness, contrast and color is considerably better, - in my opinion.

The central, magnifying part of the diopter also appears to be a little smaller in GH3 compared to preceding GH cameras, and this may cause the modest degree of distortion that occurs when the eye is off-center in the viewfinder. I did not experience this as a problem, - adaption didn't take long. I use reading glasses (+ 2.50), by the way.

-- hide signature --

Bralte

My two pennies in the subject, I have had the GH3 a month now, and wear bifocals. Today as it was not raining in the UK for a change so I went to a local park and fitted the 100-300 mm lens on the GH3 to primary take bird pictures on the lake. A while later I got out my GH2 to take a few landscape shots with an old 14-45mm and boy what a difference the viewfinder was.

The GH3 viewfinder was much better and I was surprised as I have had the GH2 for nearly two years. The corners are sharper, the viewfinder has better clarity and colour. I am 66 years old and have just booked an eye test after two years of having my glasses.

Best Regards Mike.
http://michaelgoodes.blogspot.com/
http://ekim.zenfolio.com
'Live every day as if it was your last, one day it will be'.

First, it's 4/3 view is significantly smaller than the GH1-2's EVF's, by virtue of being a crop of it's native 16:9 format rather than native 4:3. This computes to a 25% dimension decrease on each axis, and was striking to me on first comparison look.And not as detail rich due to smaller size. But in comparison to the OMD's relatively tiny one, it's still pretty big!

Next, it's color rendition simply doesn't "do" reds - all are shades of orange, with the secondary problem of lack of red being blue purple/violets - GH1-2 much more accurate color-wise. The GH3 does excel in contrast and saturation though. Am I the only one with a significant color problem - which, incidentaly was barely affected with the EVF color controls. Am I the only one who sees this color problem?

All-in-all disappointing, but with all the rest the GH3 brings to the table, not a killer.

Pete

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
guybie
Contributing MemberPosts: 640Gear list
Like?
Re: My GH3 EVF - a new observation and opinion
In reply to sea_dragon, Jan 13, 2013

As a result of your post, i double checked and, as i mentioned before, i can't see anything wrong with my EVF! I see exactly the same perfect image as on the LCD.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
brianf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,224Gear list
Like?
Re: Mine a disappointment
In reply to Pete Berry, Jan 13, 2013

Hi Pete,

The colours on my Evf are exactly as you described yours, I also have a GH2 and the Evf colour is fine on it but my Gh3 reds are wrong purple / violet is displayed as pale blue and some types of green foliage  is more a dirty yellow,.

Adjusting the tint controls does not improve things much, I bought mine from Mathers in Lancashire and returned it once as they were  happy to exchange it but when they received it and checked it against another from stock the new one was the same so I just assumed they all have poor Evf colour.

I am not so sure now as some users are happy with the colour and  some are reporting the same issue as me, I will wait for more user comments on this before deciding whether to return itagain or not.

Cheers.

Brian.

 brianf's gear list:brianf's gear list
Canon PowerShot N
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nikcan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,295Gear list
Like?
Re: My GH3 EVF - a new observation and opinion
In reply to guybie, Jan 13, 2013

guybie wrote:

As a result of your post, i double checked and, as i mentioned before, i can't see anything wrong with my EVF! I see exactly the same perfect image as on the LCD.

Sorry but so do I, the colours are fine. Btw, I only take raw, are you doing Jpegs and comparing with the end result? I am so sorry that you are having problems, I think the GH3 as a massive step up from the GH2 camera, viewfinder, colour, noise, and even quality wise. Love the level guide as I use it with the 7-14 mm Panasonic and it is magic to use to help with distortion. AND the silly white balance button is now were it should be, on top of the camera.

Best Regards Mike.
http://michaelgoodes.blogspot.com/
http://ekim.zenfolio.com
'Live every day as if it was your last, one day it will be'.

 Nikcan's gear list:Nikcan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
StevenN
Contributing MemberPosts: 963Gear list
Like?
Vision impairments
In reply to sea_dragon, Jan 13, 2013

sea_dragon wrote:

So, I think I can conclude that, at least in MY case and with my copy of the GH3, the faults that I see in the EVF are due to MY vision impairments. That, plus the apparent small "sweet spot" of the EVF. I wear glasses and also have astigmatism. I suppose short of having laser eye surgery, I'll NEVER see the EVF as clearly as someone with good eyes.

I have astigmatism and wear contact lenses and have absolutely no problems with my GH3's viewfinder. It is sharp and clear from corner to corner.

Maybe you should try wearing contacts?

-- hide signature --

StevenN

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,550Gear list
Like?
Re: Mine a disappointment
In reply to Pete Berry, Jan 13, 2013

Pete Berry wrote:

First, it's 4/3 view is significantly smaller than the GH1-2's EVF's, by virtue of being a crop of it's native 16:9 format rather than native 4:3. This computes to a 25% dimension decrease on each axis, and was striking to me on first comparison look.And not as detail rich due to smaller size. But in comparison to the OMD's relatively tiny one, it's still pretty big!

Next, it's color rendition simply doesn't "do" reds - all are shades of orange, with the secondary problem of lack of red being blue purple/violets - GH1-2 much more accurate color-wise. The GH3 does excel in contrast and saturation though. Am I the only one with a significant color problem - which, incidentaly was barely affected with the EVF color controls. Am I the only one who sees this color problem?

Are you finding your output in general is lacking in reds or just the EVF?  I did notice the EVF color errors, but I also had a problem with the actual images rendering true reds.  I got a lot of pinkish reds, oranges, and brownish oranges, but no true reds when I was out shooting a lot of brickwork when I was trying the camera out.  After working with the camera for a couple of days, and not getting anywhere with it in terms of better results, I ended up returning it, thinking I had a defective unit.  I am curious if anyone else has had a similar experience.

-J

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,129Gear list
Like?
Re: Mine a disappointment
In reply to jalywol, Jan 14, 2013

Could it be sRGB - aRGB mismatch?

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

 s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Pete Berry
Senior MemberPosts: 2,018
Like?
Re: Mine a disappointment
In reply to jalywol, Jan 14, 2013

jalywol wrote:

P Berry wrote:

First, it's 4/3 view is significantly smaller than the GH1-2's EVF's, by virtue of being a crop of it's native 16:9 format rather than native 4:3. This computes to a 25% dimension decrease on each axis, and was striking to me on first comparison look.And not as detail rich due to smaller size. But in comparison to the OMD's relatively tiny one, it's still pretty big!

Next, it's color rendition simply doesn't "do" reds - all are shades of orange, with the secondary problem of lack of red being blue purple/violets - GH1-2 much more accurate color-wise. The GH3 does excel in contrast and saturation though. Am I the only one with a significant color problem - which, incidentaly was barely affected with the EVF color controls. Am I the only one who sees this color problem?

Are you finding your output in general is lacking in reds or just the EVF? I did notice the EVF color errors, but I also had a problem with the actual images rendering true reds. I got a lot of pinkish reds, oranges, and brownish oranges, but no true reds when I was out shooting a lot of brickwork when I was trying the camera out. After working with the camera for a couple of days, and not getting anywhere with it in terms of better results, I ended up returning it, thinking I had a defective unit. I am curious if anyone else has had a similar experience.

-J

B

Just the EVF, and to a lesser extent the monitor.

Pete

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads