M42 screw mount adaptor

Started Jan 12, 2013 | Questions
Wege
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
M42 screw mount adaptor
Jan 12, 2013

I have gone searching through the forum here and I don't think I found the answer to the question:

What adaptor would most likely be the best fit to use M42 lense to m4/3 body AND still allow the aperture to be used?

I have had come into my possession a Praktica MTL3 (which feels nicer to use than the Canon AE1 which I really loved) with 3 lenses - Focal 2.8 28mm, Focal 2.8 135mm and Zeis Jena 1.8 50mm.

From what I have read, the mount system invoved is a M42 screw thread and since each of the lenses has it's own aperture control, I would like to be able to use that control and this is the reason for the question about adaptor.

The camera it will be going onto is the G3 (I would LOVE the G5, but wishes.... fishes...

BBbuilder467
Regular MemberPosts: 492
Like?
Re: M42 screw mount adaptor
In reply to Wege, Jan 12, 2013
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wege
Like?
In reply to BBbuilder467, Jan 12, 2013

I had seen the posts regarding Rainbow Imaging but the 'answers' seemed to be stepped around.
Thanks kindly.

dontfret
Senior MemberPosts: 1,698Gear list
Like?
In reply to Wege, Jan 13, 2013

I bought the rainbowimaging adapter on Amazon for ~ $10 USD to use my legacy M42 lenses (from my Pentax Spotmatic days) on my G5 (sorry bout that - my dear wife got it for me 'the fishes' for a birthday present).  The adapter has a small internal ledge that depresses the diaphragm pin in auto lenses.  I've used it with a 135mm/2.8 Auto Aragon (adding Nikon TC17ED/TC15ED TCONS stacked in front) and a killer macro 50mm/2.8 A.Schact M-Travenar that can do over 4X with its built-in extension.  Next will be the kit Olympus 50/1.8 as a portrait lens.  On the G5 when you set it for 'exposure with no lens' the rear dial button triggers zoomed manual focusing. Just set it for 'A' and you're off and running.

-- hide signature --

Rich
Take many pictures - a few are keepers, the rest are are lessons.

dontfret's gear list:dontfret's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
Wege
Like?
In reply to dontfret, Jan 13, 2013

Hi dontfret - can I say "I hate you"?

My choice boiled down to G5 body, or getting G3 with 14-42 AND 45-200 lenses.

I figured that I should cover bases with lenses that I know will work vs something that may not pan out and then have to buy M4/3 lenses extra >_<

hindesite
Senior MemberPosts: 1,228
Like?
In reply to Wege, Jan 14, 2013

The Rainbow Imaging adapter may not the the correct one for your lenses.

The are several things to watch for.

Some adapters have no step inside the m42 thread. These will work with lenses that are fully manual (usually have a preset ring adjacent to the aperture ring) or with lenses which have a switch that switches the lens from "auto" to "manual" if you can set the switch to manual.

Many adapters have a ledge or flange inside the m42 thread, this depresses the pin that actuates the aperture on some lenses. If your lenses are auto, have the pin to close the aperture and do not have a switch, you will need one of these adapters.

Some lenses (some Takumar, for example) have additional pins and other features on the rear surface of the mount, and if the internal flange is too wide, it may interfere with the operation of the lens or prevent it seating and achieving infinity focus.

dontfret
Senior MemberPosts: 1,698Gear list
Like?
In reply to hindesite, Jan 14, 2013

hindesite wrote:

Some adapters have no step inside the m42 thread. These will work with lenses that are fully manual (usually have a preset ring adjacent to the aperture ring) or with lenses which have a switch that switches the lens from "auto" to "manual" if you can set the switch to manual.

Many adapters have a ledge or flange inside the m42 thread, this depresses the pin that actuates the aperture on some lenses. If your lenses are auto, have the pin to close the aperture and do not have a switch, you will need one of these adapters.

Some lenses (some Takumar, for example) have additional pins and other features on the rear surface of the mount, and if the internal flange is too wide, it may interfere with the operation of the lens or prevent it seating and achieving infinity focus.

From my previous posting:

I bought the rainbowimaging adapter on Amazon for ~ $10 USD to use my legacy M42 lenses (from my Pentax Spotmatic days) on my G5 ... The adapter has a small internal ledge that depresses the diaphragm pin in auto lenses.

-- hide signature --

Rich
Take many pictures - a few are keepers, the rest are are lessons.

dontfret's gear list:dontfret's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +1 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 12,806Gear list
Like?

hindesite wrote:

It's common to shorten those pins with a dremel tool or something.

Here's a tilt-shift adapter for m42 to m43 which might be interesting...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/TILT-8-M42-Mount-Lens-To-Micro-4-3-m43-Adapter-For-GX1-GF5-G5-GF3-EPM1-EP3-EPL5-/290841980738?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item43b7886f42

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
hindesite
Like?
In reply to captura, Jan 14, 2013

captura wrote:

hindesite wrote:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/TILT-8-M42-Mount-Lens-To-Micro-4-3-m43-Adapter-For-GX1-GF5-G5-GF3-EPM1-EP3-EPL5-/290841980738?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item43b7886f42

I'd feel bad about ruining the lens for somebody else in future. On my old 28mm Takumar, there is a rotating stub that indicates aperture back to the camera, and a raised land with a pin in it to disable auto/manual switch when the lens is off the camera (IIRC). It is better to get the right adapter for the lens, they don't cost much.

The tilt adapter looks good. Says infinity focus is achievable and if true this can also be used as a standard adapter. I'm almost tempted... thanks for the link.

My preference though would be for EF to m4/3, because AFAIK you can then adapt many lenses to the EF mount; or for PK to m4/3, because I could use both my m42 and PK mount lenses, but both of those tilt adapters are considerably more expensive than the m42 one you linked to.

hindesite
Like?
In reply to dontfret, Jan 14, 2013

dontfret wrote:

hindesite wrote:

I bought the rainbowimaging adapter on Amazon for ~ $10 USD to use my legacy M42 lenses (from my Pentax Spotmatic days) on my G5 ... The adapter has a small internal ledge that depresses the diaphragm pin in auto lenses.

Yep, saw that.

Your point?

baxters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,018Gear list
Like?

hindesite wrote:

dontfret wrote:

hindesite wrote:

Yep, saw that.

Your point?

Let's not confuse the OP. The picture used by rainbowimaging appears to show a flangeless adapter, which may have triggered hindesite's warning, but that could be the lighting or the wrong picture.

I have bought three M42 adaoters via ebay and while the first one was sloppily made, I no longer see that style for sale. I think most of the current sellers, to maintain their ratings and avoid returns on such an insignificant item, try to sell something that works for the customer.  The last M42 adapter I bought included inserts with and without the flange, plus an allen wrench to change them, all for $10.

Great time to buy adapters. They're knocking off the knockoffs so they're cheaper. Bad time to buy old lenses. Too much demand. I'm done buying either.

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0
captura
Forum ProPosts: 12,806Gear list
Like?

hindesite wrote:

captura wrote:

hindesite wrote:

I'd feel bad about ruining the lens for somebody else in future. On my old 28mm Takumar, there is a rotating stub that indicates aperture back to the camera, and a raised land with a pin in it to disable auto/manual switch when the lens is off the camera (IIRC). It is better to get the right adapter for the lens, they don't cost much.

The tilt adapter looks good. Says infinity focus is achievable and if true this can also be used as a standard adapter. I'm almost tempted... thanks for the link.

My preference though would be for EF to m4/3, because AFAIK you can then adapt many lenses to the EF mount; or for PK to m4/3, because I could use both my m42 and PK mount lenses, but both of those tilt adapters are considerably more expensive than the m42 one you linked to.

I wouldn't want to modify a Takumar either; too nice, besides some of the radiation could leak out in an act of revenge on you!

But there are a number of articles on the weeb  about how to modify the mount on a (cheaper) Canon EF lens so it will simply go onto a NEX e-mount, without an adapter. (Presumably the same thing with m43.)

The one I like the best is where all that needed doing was shortening a pin just a wee bit and substituting a thin plate out of a NEX lens. Then making a screw adjustment to achieve infinity focus.

On my to-do list, for either my m43 or NEX.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
jf_tea
Contributing MemberPosts: 805
Like?
Fotodiox M42 screw mount adaptor, on Amazon.
In reply to captura, Jan 15, 2013

I have (2) Fotodiox adapters for M42 lens to MFT camera. Both were inexpensive. Especially if you buy them on Amazon (cheapest price I found so far).

Aperture can be controlled on the lens directly. There is no need for a more expensive adapter. The camera will do "stop down metering".

(If there is a Auto/Manual switch on the M42 lens, you have to figure out how to use it... it ain't rocket science, but, it's easier if you notice the very small pin sticking out of the lens on its rim. Pressing that pin can unlock the A/M switch. You may want to search for threads about this in this forum, or, in the Pentax DSLR forum as M42 Takumar lenses were/are commonly used on Pentax cameras).

Wege
Like?
Re: Fotodiox M42 screw mount adaptor, on Amazon.
In reply to jf_tea, Jan 27, 2013

Right.
Well I finally get around to trying to order this item (and others because they have a minimum order of $15 so I tried to order and try out their ND adjustable filter and it gives the only Country of Delivery as good ol USA... GRRRR

More digging and I find:

[quote]

Cheers

Right.. which one then to get to me here in Australia?

Or chat with us via MSN rainbowimaging@gmail.com[/quote]

Please email to rainbowimaging@gmail.com

Any inquiries, eg, quotation, shipment, product details, bulk orders, whole sale service...please feel free to contact us.

We don't ship goods to other countries other than USA

We provide retail, whoel sale service, as well as OEM products to USA customers, we ship goods to USA customers from New York.

RainbowImaging is a professional photography accessory company, who dedicated to provide best photography products, in great price, and provise prompt shipment service!

About us
hindesite
Like?
Re: Fotodiox M42 screw mount adaptor, on Amazon.
In reply to Wege, Jan 28, 2013

Search ebay for "m42 adjustable m4/3" and you'll get several choices, some cheaper than the RainbowImaging one, but with the option to include the flange or to adjust the m42 thread position.

This may not seem like a big deal, but it is annoying having your lens mounted with the distance and aperture scales on the side or bottom - and even worse for lenses with tripod mount built in.

Rainbow Imaging are strange - I can see listings for a lens hood for the 9-18 m.Zuiko. Black one will only ship to USA and Canada, silver one will ship worldwide. Same with some of their other stuff, some hoods will ship worldwide, but not all the ones I want.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads