Pop up flash mods!

Started Jan 12, 2013 | Discussions
davect01
Senior MemberPosts: 3,896
Like?
Pop up flash mods!
Jan 12, 2013

When I had my original 3, I had a ping pong ball and reflective bounce card mods that were very effective.

[url=http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/2011/01/mods-to-camera.html]photos NEX-3: Mods to Camera[/url]

Now that I have my F3 and the built in flash, I tried the ping pong ball with great results.

Additionally one of the nice functions is to be able to push up the flash for a bounce effect.

Here are the results.  Shot from about three feet away.  (Sorry about the bad Focusing)

Straight on, no flash.

Ping Pong Ball

Pushed up Bounce

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug, proud NEX-3 owner
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

Sony Alpha NEX-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ntsour
Junior MemberPosts: 41
Like?
Re: Pop up flash mods!
In reply to davect01, Jan 12, 2013

I also use a lot the bounce trick. It was actually one of the pluses in favor of bying a nex 6 vs an OMD. There had to be an advantage in living in the low-ceiling apartments common in Spain.

What I am trying to figure out is a portable way to make the pop up flash of the 6 stick in the "bounce position". Angle control would also be nice, but vertical is sufficient.

I'll report if i found a decent way to do it.

Thanks for the ping-ping difuser mod. I'll give it a shot.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
davect01
Senior MemberPosts: 3,896
Like?
In reply to ntsour, Jan 12, 2013

ntsour wrote:

I also use a lot the bounce trick. It was actually one of the pluses in favor of bying a nex 6 vs an OMD. There had to be an advantage in living in the low-ceiling apartments common in Spain.

What I am trying to figure out is a portable way to make the pop up flash of the 6 stick in the "bounce position". Angle control would also be nice, but vertical is sufficient.

I'll report if i found a decent way to do it.

Thanks for the ping-ping difuser mod. I'll give it a shot.

Love the simple mods!

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug, proud NEX-3 owner
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

j450n74y
Forum MemberPosts: 82Gear list
Like?
In reply to davect01, Jan 12, 2013

for the nex 6..if you still have the hot shoe plastic insert.. the way i used was to pull a bit of the plastic out so its not all the way in..and used a toothpick and stuck that under the plastic insert and all the way to the flash when its pointing up. the toothpick will hold the flash in place...

j450n74y's gear list:j450n74y's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Sony Alpha NEX-6
Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 4,507Gear list
Like?
In reply to j450n74y, Jan 12, 2013

Right.....lets go hunt a toothpick and a ping pong ball.....:-P

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
foody1000
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?
In reply to ntsour, Jan 14, 2013

I found this trick to be VERY effective and convenient in keeping the flash in the "bounce" position.  There are 2 metal hooks that lock the flash in place when the flash is in the "closed" positiion.  Cut a small trapezoid (with 0.5 inch base) from a piece of hard plastic (like an old credit card), and wedge it between the hooks and the front of the flash compartment.  There is a little raise line that keeps the plastic in place.  Look at the flash compartment and you'll know what I mean.  I found that the ping pong ball messes with the white balance and it's also hard to take the ball with me without crushing it in my pocket.  I this this is a more convenient solution. Good luck.

CosmoZooo
Regular MemberPosts: 446
Like?
In reply to foody1000, Jan 15, 2013

foody1000 wrote:

I found this trick to be VERY effective and convenient in keeping the flash in the "bounce" position. There are 2 metal hooks that lock the flash in place when the flash is in the "closed" positiion. Cut a small trapezoid (with 0.5 inch base) from a piece of hard plastic (like an old credit card), and wedge it between the hooks and the front of the flash compartment. There is a little raise line that keeps the plastic in place. Look at the flash compartment and you'll know what I mean. I found that the ping pong ball messes with the white balance and it's also hard to take the ball with me without crushing it in my pocket. I this this is a more convenient solution. Good luck.

I found that a good way to prop the flash up with those metal hooks is simply using a paper clip. Un-bend the paper clip so it forms a 90 degree corner with a straight pick on on side and the round (still bent) part on the other. Stick the straight part under the two hooks so it lock the flash in place.

Probably similar to the toothpick method except a bit more sturdy and you have a little handle to easier take it out or prop it back in. After trying it though, I've decided that I'd rather do it with my finger...I am a little worried about messing up the pop-up mechanism and just don't feel like propping it every time...just a fair warning.

ProfHankD
Senior MemberPosts: 1,859Gear list
Like?
Giving your flash the finger (not that finger!)
In reply to CosmoZooo, Jan 15, 2013

CosmoZooo wrote: After trying it though, I've decided that I'd rather do it with my finger...

Absolutely! The trick is how you hold the camera. Here's how I do it (as shown in my Instructable):

Note which finger is being used to press the shutter button....

It takes a little getting used to, but it's quite effortless after a little practice and even allows adjusting the tilt for each shot. A little more forward for subjects at greater distance in front of the camera gives less light loss, and it's easy to aim at specific ceiling areas to avoid objects up there that could give a color cast, etc.

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot A640 Canon PowerShot A720 IS Canon PowerShot S70 Canon PowerShot G1 Canon PowerShot G5 +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads