Transcend WiFi-SD card in OM-D?

Started Jan 12, 2013 | Questions
gnewsch
Regular MemberPosts: 463Gear list
Like?
Transcend WiFi-SD card in OM-D?
Jan 12, 2013

I ordered the Transcend WiFi-SD card 16GB soon after it was announced last year and have now finally, after two months of waiting, received my card. Sadly, despite there being no explicit compatibility warning, which made me assume that the card was basically self contained and would work in any camera, it does not work in the OM-D.

I have already written to Transcend to ask whether they have any plans on supporting the card on the camera of the year 2012 or whether I should just return the unit, but obviously haven't got a response yet.

So my question is, has anyone had similar experiences or managed to get the card working with some third party hard- or software involved?

I'm quite bummed, I was looking forward to reviewing this thing. Currently the verdict would be rather disastrous.

gnewsch's gear list:gnewsch's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +10 more
ANSWER:
manxalfa
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
Re: Transcend WiFi-SD card in OM-D?
In reply to gnewsch, Jan 12, 2013

I regret I cannot help you with the Transcend card but it may be of interest to learn of my experience with the Sandisk Eye-fi card which I received a couple of days ago.

It works well with my OMD-EM5 & Netbook computer (Windows 7) but I cannot get it to work with my Desktop PC (Vista)

Same network, same router, same camera and same input operator!

cheers

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
gnewsch
Like?
In reply to manxalfa, Jan 12, 2013

The Eye-Fi even has an extra menu point in the OM-D. I'd expect it to work indeed. As for your problem, I suspect the root is Windows Vista, not the card. I have generally found Vista to be a royal pain in the bum for everything wireless.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +10 more
GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,140Gear list
Like?
In reply to manxalfa, Jan 12, 2013

manxalfa wrote:

Same network, same router, same camera and same input operator!

But NOT the same OS.  I think there may be a clue there  

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +36 more
doctordruidphd
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
In reply to gnewsch, Jan 12, 2013

Hello,

I have been considering the same card.

What, specifically, does not work? Are you unable to access the card with your web browser, or does the camera not recognize it as a memory card?

gnewsch
Like?
In reply to doctordruidphd, Jan 13, 2013

The card works fine as a 16GB, class 10 memory card. However, the different wireless modes are activated by deleting "undeleteable" pictures on the card. ie for direct share mode, you delete a pic that says direct share and for internet mode you delete that pic. there are not physical switches in the card itself apart from the lock tab. This method arguably tells the firmware of the card to enter a given state. Unfortunately, deleting the pictures on the OM-D does just that: it deletes the picture and the card doesn't do anything about it.

Sticking the card into a card reader and the card reader into a power-only USB socket (such as an iPhone charger) lets me access the cards wifi, configure stuff etc no problem with my MacBook or MacBook Air. I can even view pics that are stored on the card wirelessly that way. However, the whole point of the wifi card is to have a wireless connection from the camera to the computer/handheld/tablet and not having to remove the card to view the content. I really just bought this so I'd have a quick way of reviewing my shots seconds after they were taken on a bigger and higher res screen, sort of like tethered mode.

Alas, since the card never even springs to life inside the OM-D, it's really just a very expensive class 10 card, as opposed to a very affordable WiFi card.

Will post back once Transcend has feedback for me.

G Sciorio
Regular MemberPosts: 294Gear list
Like?
In reply to gnewsch, Jan 13, 2013

Hey there,

Sorry you're having some trouble with the Transcend WiFi card. I've been testing every WiFi SD card available and so far the Transcend seems to be the the most reliable of the cards.

I've successfully tested the Transcend on the Lumix G5, EPM1, EPL5 and OMD.

Are you shooting to a smart phone, tablet or computer?

What mode do you have the card set up for transfer? I suggest using direct mode to test since if you try to transfer through your network you're adding a BIG variable that can, and will, effect the performance of the card.

Based on what you wrote I can only think the problems is due to user error which happens a lot so don't feel bad. These cards are new and the market is not that big since most new cameras are coming out with WiFi built in.

Once I get a bit further in my testing I'll have some results on SCBP but so far I can say that I like the Transcend the most.

-- hide signature --

Giulio Sciorio
Small Camera Big Picture
http://www.smallcamerabigpicture.com
Portfolio
http://www.giuliosciorio.com

gnewsch
Like?
In reply to G Sciorio, Jan 13, 2013

Can you elaborate on your success of the Transcend in the OM-D? How do you activate it? By deleting the pics? Quick erase or normal? Please elaborate. I am by no mean a computer dummy, but I have failed to get the card to work in the OM-D so far and I have no other cameras to test with.

gnewsch
Like?

Just tried again, to no avail. It seems the smart bit of the card never even springs to life inside the OM-D. Whatever pics I delete have no effect and turning the camera off and back on again doesn't bring the pictures back either, which makes me think the card does not even operate inside the camera. The passive bit of the card works fine and the active bit works fine in a card reader, too, so the card is not obviously broken. Transcend does not list the camera as officially compatible at the time and on their facebook page for Europe, they actually say the same (not currently supported). That makes me wonder how you allegedly got it to work. Are we talking about the same card and camera here?

gnewsch
Like?

One more update: I just remembered I still had a GoPro HD Hero (v1) lying around waiting for the warm season and popped the Transcend card in there. Sure enough, it works perfectly in both internet or direct mode, depending on what you set it to default at, as it's a bit tricky to delete a file if you don't see which one you're deleting. After turning the camera on, it takes a few seconds and the card can be accessed. Works nice and quite fast in direct mode and is a great compliment for that camera too, as it enables you to actually see what you're shooting.

Back on the OM-D however, the card never turns on. I read similar reports from a D800 user. He got it to work long enough to boot up by browsing through his fotos on the camera, thus accessing the card constantly. This trick does not work on the OM-D, nor does recording a long movie or playing the same movie. Apparently, the card does not get enough or not long enough power to ever boot on the OM-D, which makes me think only Olympus will be able to solve this issue, if they decide to add a function in a menu to specifically turn on power for cards such as these that require an uninterrupted power supply. Needless to say I tried turning off auto power off etc too, to no avail.

That once again leaves me wondering how you managed to get it working on your OM-D, if you did. What version of the firmware were you running? I'm on 1.5 on the OM-D and 1.4 on the card.

Well, I'll be waiting for either Olympus or Transcend to do something about it, otherwise the card will live happily in the GoPro. Needless to say I'm not using that camera so often that I would have spent 60$ on a fancy card just for that...

G Sciorio
Like?

Well I set up the Transcend to shoot direct to my Android with the EPL5 (it was the closet camera to me) but since then I just insert the card into any of my cameras and it works. Just got to make sure that the card is transmitting the signal and that you enter the password properly when setting up the network.

I followed the quick start guide and deleted the photo which starts direct connect.

Hope this helps!

-- hide signature --

Giulio Sciorio
Small Camera Big Picture
Portfolio

G Sciorio
Like?
G Sciorio
Like?

The OMD I'm using is set at factory defaults but I don't let it go to sleep until I get a connection. Is your camera going to sleep?

The OMD is 1.5 and I assume the card is latest firmware since I got it a couple a weeks ago.

I'll do over my setup when I make my review video.

Have you tried Transcend support?

-- hide signature --

Giulio Sciorio
Small Camera Big Picture
Portfolio

SidSnot
Regular MemberPosts: 289
Like?
In reply to G Sciorio, Jan 13, 2013

Sorry if I'm pointing out the obvious but there is a specific setting in the OMD for using a wifi card with it.

have you tried the option(s) under that setting?

gnewsch
Like?
In reply to SidSnot, Jan 13, 2013

The option you're referring to is the Eye-Fi ON/OFF feature. That is grayed out unless you have an Eye-Fi in there. And even then it's on anyway.

I wish I had an E-PL5 to set it up and get it working. Might try with my gf's E-PL2 which is officially supported, maybe that will kick start it to life. Trying anything you mentioned did not result in any lifesigns in my OM-D. I sent an e-mail to Olympus and Transcend and am awaiting feedback. This being a weekend, I didn't expect any news until Monday at the earliest.

reygon
Senior MemberPosts: 2,001
Like?
In reply to gnewsch, Jan 14, 2013

gnewsch wrote:

I ordered the Transcend WiFi-SD card 16GB soon after it was announced last year and have now finally, after two months of waiting, received my card. Sadly, despite there being no explicit compatibility warning, which made me assume that the card was basically self contained and would work in any camera, it does not work in the OM-D.

I have already written to Transcend to ask whether they have any plans on supporting the card on the camera of the year 2012 or whether I should just return the unit, but obviously haven't got a response yet.

So my question is, has anyone had similar experiences or managed to get the card working with some third party hard- or software involved?

I'm quite bummed, I was looking forward to reviewing this thing. Currently the verdict would be rather disastrous

I was tempted to get this as the 'free items' for my OMD but when I checked and googled the details on compatibility it won't support OMD at this stage.

You can sell it or wait for firmware upgrade (which is umcertain).

-- hide signature --

reygon
----------------------------------------------------------------
Take nothing but photos... Kill nothing but time... Leave nothing but footprints...

gnewsch
Like?

More news. I'm quite persistent when something bothers me:)

After playing around with the card reader, the GoPro and the OM-D in conjunction with the Transcend WiFi-SD card some more, it seemed clear that the card needs a "hard power reset" in order to reinitialize, for example: deleting all the pics on the GoPro, turning the camera off and back on would reproduce the three pics immediately (the way it is supposed to). Same with the card reader: deleting one or all pics in the Finder in OS X, ejecting the card and unplugging the reader, then plugging it back in would return the three pics. However, deleting one or several pics on the OM-D, turning the camera off and back on would NOT reset the pics nor start the card. Obviously there is something different in the power management.

I did succeed getting the card to reinitialize on the OM-D though if I ejected it WHILE the camera was on. Obviously this is probably not a very good idea, but I had to try. So ejecting it while live and popping it back in while live did reinitialize the card.

This is how the card can be coaxed into working in the OM-D:

1. Put the card in the OM-D. Delete the pic of the mode you want to get into.

2. Turn the camera off, open the SD card slot and eject the card.

3. Turn the camera on without card.

4. While the camera is on, pop the card back in and wait for approximately 40 seconds, make sure the camera does not turn off during this time.

The card should then boot into the desired mode and can be used properly until the camera turns itself off or is turned off with the switch. The card seems to continue to work while the camera is only sleeping (half-press-of-shutter-brings-camera-back-to-life-mode). I have also had good results by playing back a movie immediately after popping the card back in while the camera was on. I first thought this was necessary to keep the card busy and thus powered, but it seems that the important difference is to insert the card while the camera is turned on. Whether that is very smart, is an entirely different question.

Now with this proven, I'm confident that Transcend might actually get the card to work properly in the OM-D without requiring questionable hardware rape as described above. While it seems to work alright and as advertised in the OM-D, the way to get there is adventurous and possibly harmful to card and camera, so I can not recommend this to anyone until an official solution is available.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
gnewsch
Like?

This is what Transcend had to offer (about as helpful as an ulcer):

Dear Sir or Madam,
First of all, many thanks for your letter.
About your request, if your camera type is not in the list of compatible cameras, it means the camera type has not been tested with the card, we cannot confirm the compatibility currently.
We will test cameras and update them continuously, and your feedback will be reviewed thoroughly and forward to our related dept. Sorry and thank you in advance for understanding in this matter.
If you have any question, please feel free to let us know.
We`ll be eager to service you to the best of our ability.

Mark Ransom 70
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?

I have a very similar experience.

Canon SX50 HS is listed as compatible but so far not booting up the wifi when in camera.

Works fine in all modes on my Panasonic FZ 38

Suggestion of help from 'them' today is to reformat the card inside the camera

Will first try the suggestion of ejecting the card etc & feedback here with my results.

Also have an Eye-Fi card...works fine in the Canon but from my initial tests i prefer the transcend features as the Eye-Fi seems somewhat sporadic as to if and when if uploads in direct mode.

Mark

Mark Ransom 70's gear list:Mark Ransom 70's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Olympus Tough TG-2 HP Envy 100 - D410a +5 more
Mark Ransom 70
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
Re: Transcend WiFi-SD card in OM-D - (same issue with canon SX50 HS)
In reply to Mark Ransom 70, Jan 15, 2013

Update:

Opening the battery/sd card compartment auto powers off the canon so got no difference in my results trying that.

Reformatting the card in camera got rid of an error message where the camera was complaining about the sd card - i hadn't noticed this before & photos were being stored correctly. Still see no wifi network & can only assume the camera is not giving enough power to the sd card.

Customer support suggest taking the card back to my supplier for a repair or replacement

Bought via amazon so easier said than done & it works perfectly in my other camera so I really do not imagine it being a faulty card.

My last thought is to reset the camera to it's factory settings - same with the wifi card.

Mark Ransom 70's gear list:Mark Ransom 70's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Olympus Tough TG-2 HP Envy 100 - D410a +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads