Am I nuts? Nepal with just the X100.

Started Jan 11, 2013 | Discussions
mark finn
Regular MemberPosts: 444
Like?
Am I nuts? Nepal with just the X100.
Jan 11, 2013

I'm lucky enough to be going to Nepal for three weeks on a work trip, and was going to take my Xpro-1, 18-55 and 35mm. However the closer the trip gets the more I'm drawn to the idea of just taking the X100.

Because it’s a work trip I won't be trekking, and will be spending a lot of time on the streets of Kathmandu and Pokhara. I know the XP-1 will give me more flexibility, but I've never found the fixed lens on the X100 much of a limitation anyway. Plus the X100 can just sit in my day bag in its leather case, whereas the XP-1 will need a proper camera bag.

So what would you do if in my position?

-- hide signature --

Please check out my photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/drmark/

Fujifilm FinePix X100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Am I nuts? Nepal with just the X100.
In reply to mark finn, Jan 11, 2013

mark finn wrote:

I'm lucky enough to be going to Nepal for three weeks on a work trip, and was going to take my Xpro-1, 18-55 and 35mm. However the closer the trip gets the more I'm drawn to the idea of just taking the X100.

Because it’s a work trip I won't be trekking, and will be spending a lot of time on the streets of Kathmandu and Pokhara. I know the XP-1 will give me more flexibility, but I've never found the fixed lens on the X100 much of a limitation anyway. Plus the X100 can just sit in my day bag in its leather case, whereas the XP-1 will need a proper camera bag.

X100 w/wide angle adapter.  That's what I would bring along.

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinions and/or suggestions of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X10 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,109Gear list
Like?

I spent a little time in both cities in the 90s.  I usually used my SLR with a zoom (or multiple lenses) which I prefer for the different fields of view.  I also used a fixed lens camera on a few occasions.  It just means accepting the limitations of whichever camera you take.  You'll find that there are compositions aplenty that will present themselves to you as long as you're 'thinking' the images for the camera you've got with you.  A downside of the X100 is that you have to be very close to people to get a tight composition of them at work or doing whatever they're doing.

A smaller camera definitely has an advantage around people and crowds - I found that very obvious photography attracts attention - not of the unwanted criminal kind - but of the kind that means that the scene changes.  The Nepalese are very used to tourists with cameras.  Some people are 'over it' and don't want their images taken.  Souvenir sellers, performers, sadhus and others may see you and ask for cash to take them.  Kids may ask you for cash/pens/other things to have their photos taken.  Or they'll or just play up in front of the camera because they're kids.   You being there with a camera may change things......

Either way, you'll get some great shots and memories.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
Joachim Gerstl
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,293Gear list
Like?

Bring both. You can always leave one in the hotel. If one breaks you have a backup.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D +14 more
Apsphoto
Regular MemberPosts: 215Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joachim Gerstl, Jan 11, 2013

Joachim Gerstl wrote:

Bring both. You can always leave one in the hotel. If one breaks you have a backup.

-- hide signature --

+1

-- hide signature --

Alan Smallbone
Orange county, CA

tinpusher
Senior MemberPosts: 1,203Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joachim Gerstl, Jan 11, 2013

I'm on my 3rd copy of the X100 due to mechanical faults .....please take a backup

tinpusher's gear list:tinpusher's gear list
Leica X1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S +3 more
nomad147
Contributing MemberPosts: 512
Like?

you should always have a back up

-- hide signature --

wssa member #320PX

James M Hilliard
Regular MemberPosts: 469
Like?

Not at all!  I dld 2 weeks in Italy with the X100 last spring and came back with tons of great images!

-- hide signature --

Mark Hilliard
Color Blog: www.markhilliardatelier.Wordpress.com
IR Blog: www.infraredatelier.Wordpress.com

Al Downie
Contributing MemberPosts: 622Gear list
Like?
In reply to nomad147, Jan 11, 2013

If it was me, I'd take the X-Pro1 and the 18-55mm, and leave the 35mm behind. I spent some time in Ladakh and found the telephoto end of my compact's zoom range *very* useful for candid portraits of wrinkled locals' faces, landscapes etc.

I took a Canon A650 because it used AA batteries which I was fairly sure would be more readily available than reliable mains electricity, but it did a pretty good job. All my favourite shots were taken with the telephoto end of the zoom range:

Himalayas by bicycle

Is Nepal mostly Buddhist? If so, you might find that the locals don't take too kindly to the 'in your face' style that a fixed 35mm lens might force you to adopt.

Have a great trip!

Al

Al Downie's gear list:Al Downie's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Bernie Ess
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,909Gear list
Like?
35mm and people shots
In reply to Al Downie, Jan 11, 2013
Is Nepal mostly Buddhist? If so, you might find that the locals don't take too kindly to the 'in your face' style that a fixed 35mm lens might force you to adopt.

I agree with you! I have spent 3 weeks there in 2008, trekking, and for people shots 50-80mm is a much better focal length. Yes the fast F2 lens is an advantage, and less bulk is always welcome. But I'd definately take the X1-pro, the Zoom and a 60 or at least the 35/1,4. Plus 3-4 spare batteries, fully charged.

Bernie

-- hide signature --

'All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice.' (Elliot Erwitt)

Tom Ames
Contributing MemberPosts: 642Gear list
Like?

I would chose the X-Pro1 and the 18-55mm. Wide for landscape and architecture and the long end for people. It's not that big a combo, is it? It will fit inside your jacket hanging around your neck.

The weatherforecast is jacket suitable for the next week

The 35mm would be nice to put on if you go out after sunset.

Tom Ames's gear list:Tom Ames's gear list
Nikon Df Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Joachim Gerstl
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,293Gear list
Like?

Fantastic shots! Sure the location did help but you got the eye! Some of them are better than most of the images on the Leica forum.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Sony Alpha NEX-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D +14 more
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,348Gear list
Like?
Re: 35mm and people shots
In reply to Bernie Ess, Jan 11, 2013

Xpro1 with zoom, X100 as Backup. The virtue of a single, sharp, OS stabilized zoom brings numberous options and variety to Record your visit.

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
DB3
DB3
Regular MemberPosts: 103
Like?

Loved "Himalayas by bicycle". What an adventure. Excellent photos.

[Nice bikes too: I visited Thorn this week and will be saving hard.]

mark finn
Regular MemberPosts: 444
Like?
In reply to DB3, Jan 12, 2013

Thanks to all those who responded. Based on this I'm leaning toward the XP-1 and 18-55, but will take both out this weekend for some street shooting practice. I would still prefer just to take the new camera if possible, and after a couple of repairs am reasonably confident of the reliability of both units.

I was especially interested in the comments around the zoom allowing you to shoot from more of a distance, as while I agree, I seem to be able to get more candid shots with the X100. I'm not entirely sure why this is, but I suspect it might be because people are just less threatened by its antique looks.

-- hide signature --

shigzeo ?
Senior MemberPosts: 1,145Gear list
Like?
In reply to mark finn, Jan 12, 2013

mark finn wrote:

-- hide signature --

I use one focal length for 90% of my shooting: 50mm, and 85mm for the other 10%. I find landscapes for me are best shot tight. It's probably because I've not figured out how to handle a wide angle lens. Though when I do, I shoot 28mm.

The X100 should be all you need as long as you love and respect the focal length you shoot at.

shigzeo ?'s gear list:shigzeo ?'s gear list
Nikon D200 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 +6 more
CFynn
Senior MemberPosts: 5,211Gear list
Like?

mark finn wrote:

Not nuts - many years ago I travelled around India and Nepal with just a Rollei TLR and got many wonderful shots. Several have since been used on the covers of books by a couple of large publishers.

It can be liberating to have light weight kit and not have to think about which lens to use.

CFynn's gear list:CFynn's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Nikon D800E Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +14 more
zyghom
Regular MemberPosts: 120Gear list
Like?

mark finn wrote:

I'm lucky enough to be going to Nepal ..

I would take X100, 2-3 batteries, charger, 2x 16GB fast SD card, leather case. Assuming you can move pictures from SD to laptop every evening.

And I would bring thousands of pictures and then spent hours in front of PS.

That is all I would do

-- hide signature --

Zygfryd Homonto
http://homonto.eu

zyghom's gear list:zyghom's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X100S
evoprox
Senior MemberPosts: 1,122Gear list
Like?
In reply to Al Downie, Jan 12, 2013

Al Downie wrote:

If it was me, I'd take the X-Pro1 and the 18-55mm, and leave the 35mm behind. I spent some time in Ladakh and found the telephoto end of my compact's zoom range *very* useful for candid portraits of wrinkled locals' faces, landscapes etc.

I took a Canon A650 because it used AA batteries which I was fairly sure would be more readily available than reliable mains electricity, but it did a pretty good job. All my favourite shots were taken with the telephoto end of the zoom range:

Himalayas by bicycle

Have a great trip!

Al

I used to live in Nepal for some years and to me the Nepalis are some of the friendliest, funniest, warmest, open people I've ever met on this planet. Needless to say that this not an invitation to treat them like fair game, something I've witnessed countless times on a daily basis, more often than not downright sickening so, especially since the onslaught of mass tourism.I'm most probably going back this year and regarding the choice of camera will continue to use my little unobtrusive X10>X20 as my main cam, the flexibility of that little beast is hard to beat, even though I might end up with the majority of shots centered around 35mm FL.

BTW: In all those years in the Himalayas I NEVER had ANYTHING stolen from me, but then I'm not obsessed with that idea or suffer from any fears of that sort. YMMV.

evoprox's gear list:evoprox's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
Skulmoski
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
In reply to mark finn, Jan 20, 2013

I was in Kathmandu region and Chitwan for 11 days (Jan 1-11, 2013) and I took over 5000 photos with my X-Pr01 and 35mm. I am very happy with the results of this camera and lens.

Unfortunately, there are frequent power outages so you may not be able to recharge your batteries whenever you want. I took 2 chargers and three batteries and was able to continue shooting between 6 am to 10 pm most days. I would take the X100 as a backup.

Hopefully, I will have the 56mm and 21mm when I return November 2013; I may just leave the 35mm in the hotel room.

Have a great trip; there seems to be a photo oppurtunity everywhere you look.

GJS

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads