$2.00 Wired Release from Found Objects....

Started Jan 11, 2013 | Discussions
BobORama
Senior MemberPosts: 1,614Gear list
Like?
$2.00 Wired Release from Found Objects....
Jan 11, 2013

I'm not posting any astro pics yet.... sorry to disappoint.   But I have just borrowed an old AC driven German equatorial mount ( from The Criterion Dynascope RV-6 Telescope ) and will be refurbishing the slip clutch which allows you reposition the scope.   Unfortunately the clutch slips occasionally so the drive motor is not engaged at random intervals.   Easy fix, but ruins the photos....

ANYWAY....  I realized last night a needed a wired remote to activate the shutter.   In looking around the garage I had an old earpiece from a 2004 Blackberry ( 3/32" stereo cable ), the outer plastic sleeve from a hypodermic syringe ( don't ask! ) and a $2 pushbutton toggle switch from Radio Shack.

Pressing the button partway triggers the shutter.   Pressing it all the way, of course, toggles the shutter on / off - which is great for Bulb mode or continuous shooting.   Plus if "feels good in the hand."

MacGyver, eat your heart out!

BobORama's gear list:BobORama's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +8 more
ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,232Gear list
Like?
Re: $2.00 Wired Release from Found Objects....
In reply to BobORama, Jan 11, 2013

No doubt about you Bob - if only we new what type of syringe you used!

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,048Gear list
Like?
 audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +14 more
BobORama
Like?
In reply to audiobomber, Jan 11, 2013

audiobomber wrote:

I bought a $5.00 remote from eBay. It has bulb mode, looks and feels pretty slick.

Yeah, but does it look like the trigger to a terrorist bomb vest?   No.

And mine was Made in the USA, for Americans, by Americans from American garbage in an American garage, with American tools, made from American steel, because we are Americans, and that's how we roll.

Pentax K-5 Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +8 more
BobORama
Like?
In reply to ozdean, Jan 11, 2013

ozdean wrote:

No doubt about you Bob - if only we new what type of syringe you used!

I think it was for injecting our cat.    This isn't the syringe, but the plastic case the syringe comes in.

MonkRX
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?

BobORama wrote:

audiobomber wrote:

I bought a $5.00 remote from eBay. It has bulb mode, looks and feels pretty slick.

Yeah, but does it look like the trigger to a terrorist bomb vest? No.

And mine was Made in the USA, for Americans, by Americans from American garbage in an American garage, with American tools, made from American steel, because we are Americans, and that's how we roll.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Hehe, I love how you say this when the image in your first post says "MADE IN CHINA".

Anyway, clever casing you have there, fits the push button quite neatly. Perhaps grab some shrink wrap from radio shack and wrap it around the clear plastic? Make it a little more color uniform.

MonkRX's gear list:MonkRX's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-P505 +1 more
paulkienitz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,718Gear list
Like?

I made one of those with two buttons, but it was much longer and heavier than I really needed, and it cost like $8... and last week I got an infrared remote for $7.

-- hide signature --

Q with 02 zoom and cheap K adapter
K10D, Sig 17-70, DA 55-300, FA 50/1.4 "Billy Bass"
discards: DA 50-200 "zipper", F 100-300, Sigma 135-400 "piglet", M 400/5.6 "the Great Truncheon"

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
Tan68
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,032Gear list
Like?
In reply to MonkRX, Jan 11, 2013

MonkRX wrote:

BobORama wrote:

-- hide signature --

Bob

Hehe, I love how you say this when the image in your first post says "MADE IN CHINA".

there may be no conflict here.  depends on what the American garbage consists of.  American garbage can originate in China.  some does, anyway...

Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,987
Like?
In reply to paulkienitz, Jan 11, 2013

The micro switches for computer cases are great for this. They are really tiny.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-PC-Computer-Desktop-ATX-Power-On-Supply-Reset-Switch-Connector-Cable-Cord-/270823107270

I used two in a Buskhawk scope mount to convert it to an active Bushhawk. One switch for the shutter, the other for focus. I think I saved about $100 this way.

Thank you
Russell

waynes
Contributing MemberPosts: 917
Like?
In reply to BobORama, Jan 12, 2013

By the way, seriously, I need a release.

My K5 responds poorly to either remote or cable release, both from Pentax.  Is it because of the camera or releases?

My K20D used to respond to both very well!

Maybe I should try to get some cheap one(s) from ebay.  If they don't work, I lose almost nothing.  Any particular ones to recommend?

Thanks

BobORama
Like?
In reply to waynes, Jan 12, 2013

waynes wrote:

My K5 responds poorly to either remote or cable release, both from Pentax. Is it because of the camera or releases?

Specifically?   I use IR and wired releases with my K-5 all the time and never an issue.  In what way is it not working?   Even my garage trash $2 release cable works very well.

ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,232Gear list
Like?

Wayne have you configured it the way you want it from the config menu?

-- hide signature --

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
waynes
Like?
In reply to ozdean, Jan 12, 2013

ozdean wrote:

Wayne have you configured it the way you want it from the config menu?

-- hide signature --

No.  Those 2 releases were from my K20D time.  I do not remember I had to do anything.  Ok, I did change the remote setting to make half push and hold to focus on k20.

waynes
Like?
In reply to BobORama, Jan 12, 2013

K5 rarely responds to releases.  But occasionally does, randomly.

BobORama wrote:

waynes wrote:

My K5 responds poorly to either remote or cable release, both from Pentax. Is it because of the camera or releases?

Specifically? I use IR and wired releases with my K-5 all the time and never an issue. In what way is it not working? Even my garage trash $2 release cable works very well.

Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,987
Like?

The setting Ozdean is probably referring to is the in the third tab of the custom menu, item 18, AF with Remote Control. The is 19 as well that sets the behavior of the remote in Bulb.

If these aren't the issue, pull the bottom rubber plug out of the camera and see if there is any corrosion built up.

Thank you
Russell

waynes
Like?
In reply to Russell Evans, Jan 12, 2013

Russell Evans wrote:

The setting Ozdean is probably referring to is the in the third tab of the custom menu, item 18, AF with Remote Control. The is 19 as well that sets the behavior of the remote in Bulb.

If these aren't the issue, pull the bottom rubber plug out of the camera and see if there is any corrosion built up.

Thank you
Russell

Thanks everyone.  I did that. It's very clean.

Now my camera is great to all internal everything.  Internal flash exposure is accurate and nice (when not shooting portrait of course).  Self timer is great when using tripods.  All lenses are on 0 for fine AF adjustment (including all Pentax lenses and Sigma 17-50)!

But it does not like "foreign" stuffs, haha.  Neither Metz nor Pentax 360 gets correct exposure.  Neither cable nor remote release (both Pentax) can trigger the shutter consistently..

Tan68
Like?

hmm..?

i made a wired release from a cheap cell phone headset with mute button.  the mute button functioning like Russell's momentary switch in his Bushmaster..

i don't recall making any menu changes.  it just worked.  i don't try to focus with it, though.  my homemade release only trips the shutter.  i have focus set to the AF button so maybe that helps things be more compatible?

waynes
Like?
In reply to Tan68, Jan 12, 2013

Tan68 wrote:

hmm..?

i made a wired release from a cheap cell phone headset with mute button. the mute button functioning like Russell's momentary switch in his Bushmaster..

i don't recall making any menu changes. it just worked. i don't try to focus with it, though. my homemade release only trips the shutter. i have focus set to the AF button so maybe that helps things be more compatible?

Just spent some time testing.

The remote actually worked today, but does not do focus.  That's fine.  I can focus first, then make the shot with release without touching the camera.

The cable.  It can do either focus or shutter release, but not both.  But when the camera shutter button is used or touched, the cable release would stop working.  No response at all.

Must be some contact problems...

Tan68
Like?

i am not sure if i have ever touched the shutter button after plugging in the release..  i figure i have.

anyway, i plugged my release in and used both it and the shutter button.  either fired the camera..

i thought, perhaps, when you used the shutter button, the camera ignored any further input from the release..  my camera is happy no matter which switch i flip.

jimrpdx
Senior MemberPosts: 2,876Gear list
Like?
In reply to BobORama, Jan 13, 2013

BobORama wrote:

Made in the USA, for Americans, by Americans from American garbage in an American garage, with American tools, made from American steel, because we are Americans, and that's how we roll.

Judging by your avatar image, looks like you made full use of your ginormous brain with this one nice work!  I have a kitty syringe or two, but nothing that diameter - but something could be done here in a film-can design, more 'retro'!

-- hide signature --

Jim in Oregon -- K5/K-01 user, Alpha a200 & Lumix m4:3 veteran
talking to myself at http://granitix.blogspot.com

jimrpdx's gear list:jimrpdx's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads