How to delete a photo from Forum?

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions
thduncarin
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
How to delete a photo from Forum?
Jan 10, 2013

Hi, I'm quite new to DPR and was wondering if anyone can tell me how to delete photos I've posted in forums? Thanks in advance.

Ps. Is this the right place to ask this?

Olga Johnson
Forum ProPosts: 21,712Gear list
Like?
Re: How to delete a photo from Forum?
In reply to thduncarin, Jan 10, 2013

You can PM a moderator with the request.

-- hide signature --

Olga

Olga Johnson's gear list:Olga Johnson's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
thduncarin
Junior MemberPosts: 49
Like?
In reply to Olga Johnson, Jan 11, 2013

Thanks Olga. So even if I posted the pictures I need someone else to remove them? That will change what I post or even if I post. Will still read and learn from this site. Thanks again. Terence

Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?
In reply to thduncarin, Jan 11, 2013

You don't post images, you post links to images.

To remove the image from the forum you just remove the source of the image - the place it's stored on the web.

You can store images in your gallery ( which you can manage yourself ) or on an image hosting site ( like Flickr ) which, again, you manage yourself.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

glossywhite
Regular MemberPosts: 109
Like?
In reply to Deleted1929, Jan 11, 2013

sjgcit wrote:

To remove the image from the forum you just remove the source of the image - the place it's stored on the web.

You can store images in your gallery ( which you can manage yourself ) or on an image hosting site ( like Flickr ) which, again, you manage yourself.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

And what if the image that is linked to, is not administered by the poster?

Prstl2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,384
Like?
In reply to glossywhite, Jan 11, 2013

This is when you can ask a moderator for help, they can edit your post once your time to make edits has expired.

glossywhite wrote:

Olga Johnson
Like?

sjgcit wrote:

You can store images in your gallery ( which you can manage yourself ) or on an image hosting site ( like Flickr ) which, again, you manage yourself

You can now upload an image directly from your hard drive. It's one of the 3 icons from the right of the edit screen. And you can also remove links yourself as part of the timed edit. Moderators can do the same.

-- hide signature --

Olga

Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS M Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +17 more
Detail Man
Forum ProPosts: 15,000
Like?
Re: How to delete a photo from Forum ?

glossywhite wrote:

sjgcit wrote:

And the 560 pixel-size thumbnail that is displayed in the body of the post is deleted as a result ?

What if the author wishes to (or must) retain the image published on the host server location referenced in the post, but (nevertheless) wishes to remove the image from their DPReview forum posts ?

Detail Man
Like?

Olga Johnson wrote:

sjgcit wrote:

You can store images in your gallery ( which you can manage yourself ) or on an image hosting site ( like Flickr ) which, again, you manage yourself

You can now upload an image directly from your hard drive. It's one of the 3 icons from the right of the edit screen. And you can also remove links yourself as part of the timed edit. Moderators can do the same.

Not clear what you intended to mean. Are you saying that "moderators" can only delete such images (uploaded directly from a computer) during the initial 15-minute editing-time (as DPR users also can) ?

Olga Johnson
Like?
In reply to Detail Man, Jan 11, 2013

Detail Man wrote:

Olga Johnson wrote:

sjgcit wrote:

You can now upload an image directly from your hard drive. It's one of the 3 icons from the right of the edit screen. And you can also remove links yourself as part of the timed edit. Moderators can do the same.

Not clear what you intended to mean. Are you saying that "moderators" can only delete such images (uploaded directly from a computer) during the initial 15-minute editing-time (as DPR users also can) ?

Sorry for not being more concise. Users have a time limit. Moderators do not. So a moderator can always do an edit, if requested, even after the time limit has expired for the user.

-- hide signature --

Olga

Detail Man
Like?

Olga Johnson wrote:

Detail Man wrote:

Olga Johnson wrote:

sjgcit wrote:

Sorry for not being more concise. Users have a time limit. Moderators do not. So a moderator can always do an edit, if requested, even after the time limit has expired for the user.

Thank you for the above clarification of the information that you have stated, Olga.

Would the nature of such an edit affect all posts by the author in which a particular uploaded from computer image appears - or is the nature of such an edit limited to individual DPReview forum posts?

Do you serve as a moderator on a DPReview forum(s), or is your understanding of the situation as you describe it based on indirect knowledge ?

apaflo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,854
Like?

sjgcit wrote:

Not true.  We post a "link" only to the DPR galleries.  For images uploaded from a computer or from a URL the image is not linked to the original source, but copied to DPR.   (See below for the significance.)

Users at this time can only link to gallery images.  The gallery image can be removed by the user at any time, which will also remove the image from any forum article which refernences it with a link.

However, users cannot delete the images uploaded from a URL or from a computer, and therefore they cannot remove those images from a posted forum article unless it is done immediately after posting (users have a time limit and are limited in the number of edits).

Moderators can edit a article any number of times and after any length of time.  Entire articles can be removed, or just the image edited out of the article.

Note that when a moderator deletes an article it also deletes all articles which have replied to that article.  We might see that change at some point in the future, but I don't know that DPR admin's have promised that will happen.

A future change which has been specifically promised "soon" is the ability to actually link to images via a URL to another site.  That could be to any of the various image display sites or it can be a link to a user's personal website.  The distinction between linking to a DPR gallery image or uploading to DPR and making a link to another site is the ability to then control what is at the end of the link.  With the DPR gallery as far as I know you cannot replace an image with a different image that will have the same DPR link.  All that can be done is to remove it.  With a real URL link the image can be deleted, but it can also simply be replaced with a new image that has the same name.  The new image will from that point on be the one seen via a link inserted into a forum message.

But see the above for the significant difference in what happens when those to different methods for inserting images into a message are used.

Note specifically that the three icons in the message editor that are used for inserting images do NOT use the term "link", they all say "insert".

Olga Johnson
Like?
In reply to apaflo, Jan 11, 2013

Not sure what you mean about links. Folks link all the time from various other sites, such as Pbase, Zenfolio, Smugmug, etc.

-- hide signature --

Olga

Olga Johnson
Like?

Detail Man wrote:

Olga Johnson wrote:

Detail Man wrote:

Olga Johnson wrote:

sjgcit wrote:

Thank you for the above clarification of the information that you have stated, Olga.

Would the nature of such an edit affect all posts by the author in which a particular uploaded from computer image appears - or is the nature of such an edit limited to individual DPReview forum posts?

It only deletes the individual post's image. It edits that posts entries.

Do you serve as a moderator on a DPReview forum(s), or is your understanding of the situation as you describe it based on indirect knowledge ?

I serve as Moderator in Canon Powershot and Canon Rebel forums.

Excuse my misspellings. I am posting using an iPad and editing my errors ends up with results worse than the errors.

-- hide signature --

Olga

apaflo
Like?

Detail Man wrote:

Olga Johnson wrote:

If the image is a gallery image, deleting the image there will delete it from every article that it has been included in.

Editing an individual article would affect only the image in that article.

Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?
Moderators should not edit posts by request generally

> And what if the image that is linked to, is not administered by the poster?

That's the poster's problem in my view.

My interpretation of guidelines given to moderators is that we (moderators) should not edit posts generally.  It is a discretionary power granted to moderators to allow threads to be moderated with minimal disruption.

The reason is this. DPR has a general policy of ​not​ allowing unlimited edits after a post has been made.  The feeling is that such edits distort the thread ( e.g. people replying to things that are changed later can be misleading ).  A logical extension of this is that moderators should not do the edits for them.

The limited editing time window DPR allows is just to correct e.g. typos or the wrong link, or to withdraw something typed in haste.  That's all.

The principle is pretty simple - if you're not happy with the world seeing your post for all eternity then don't post it.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

apaflo
Like?

Olga Johnson wrote:

Not sure what you mean about links. Folks link all the time from various other sites, such as Pbase, Zenfolio, Smugmug, etc.

That is a very good question... because I have not verified exactly what does happen for some time now. So lets see!

First, I have an image on my computer that I've also uploaded to my web page. First lets see what the image looks like when loaded from the computer (and I expect this image to remain the same regardless of what I do later). This image has the file name "deleted.jpg", because that is exactly what I'm going to do after it is uploaded to this message. On the web page it is at <http://apaflo.com/misc/deleted.jpg>:

Uploaded directly from my computer, from file /home/httpd/misc/deleted.jpg

Now I'll insert it using the URL to my web site:

This is the image from

And after loading the two images above, I have copied a different image to the same name on the computer, and then uploaded it to that same URL on my web site. Here is the new image from my computer:

A new an different image uploaded from the same file name, /home/httpd/misc/deleted.jpg

Now comes the weird part. Here is the image from the URL, where the above image now resides:

Image "uploaded" from the same URL as was used previously.

Now, I have no idea what will be seen when this message is actually posted, but in the editor what I am seeing here is the original image rather than the new one. It has clearly been uploaded from cache, but I don't know if it is the cache in my browser or if DPR's editor saved URL along with the first upload and simply won't go look at that URL a second time.

Edit:  Okay, what I saw in the editor before hitting the "post" button is not what I was treated to after it was posted.   Prior to posting, the editor would only show me the first image it acquired from the URL.  After posting what I see is only the second image that was at the URL...  until I now have it in the editor, where I am seeing the same thing the editor show before posting!

Be aware that I've replaced the image at that URL with a third one! It doesn't show up here at all.  That is because messages posted to DPR forums are not using links.  The image has been uploaded.   The editor uses a link to access the image, but the message is using an image stored by DPR's servers.

apaflo
Like?

Olga Johnson wrote:

Just to be very clear, and vastly more concise, our messages here do not have links to those other sites. Instead the DPR editor uploads a copy from the URL provided, and that copy is stored on the DPR forum server.

Detail Man
Like?
Re: Moderators should not edit posts by request generally

Detail Man wrote:

glossywhite wrote:

sjgcit wrote:

And the 560 pixel-size thumbnail that is displayed in the body of the post is deleted as a result ?

Your statements (quoted directly above) appear to imply that if any existing in-post reference to any (remotely) hosted image leads to a URL that no longer provided that image, then all DPReview displayed representations of that image (including the 560-pixel maximum sized thumbnail displayed in DPReview posts) will be immediately removed. Is that a correct interpretation of your statements ?

glossywhite wrote: And what if the image that is linked to, is not administered by the poster ?

sjgcit wrote: That's the poster's problem in my view.

My interpretation of guidelines given to moderators is that we (moderators) should not edit posts generally. It is a discretionary power granted to moderators to allow threads to be moderated with minimal disruption.

The reason is this. DPR has a general policy of not allowing unlimited edits after a post has been made. The feeling is that such edits distort the thread ( e.g. people replying to things that are changed later can be misleading ). A logical extension of this is that moderators should not do the edits for them.

The limited editing time window DPR allows is just to correct e.g. typos or the wrong link, or to withdraw something typed in haste. That's all.

The principle is pretty simple - if you're not happy with the world seeing your post for all eternity then don't post it.

What if the author wishes to (or must) retain the image published on the host server location referenced in the post, but (nevertheless) wishes to remove the image from their DPReview forum posts ?

Your statements (quoted directly above) appear to imply that all images that have been uploaded by the author (from a computer directly to the body of a DPReview forum post, as opposed to being uploaded to a DPReview member's Image Gallery) will not (in general, as a matter of policy and procedure) be deleted from any such post(s) upon the specific request of the author, and thus will not be deleted from DPReview server archives. Is that a correct interpretation of your statements ?

Olga Johnson
Like?
In reply to apaflo, Jan 11, 2013

apaflo wrote:

Olga Johnson wrote:

Just to be very clear, and vastly more concise, our messages here do not have links to those other sites. Instead the DPR editor uploads a copy from the URL provided, and that copy is stored on the DPR forum server.

I don'tbelieve that is correct.

Go to this post. The first image is uploaded from my computer. The second is on Zenfolio.  The first shows a DPR link, the second still shows a Zenfolio link.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50634725

-- hide signature --

Olga

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads