A housing compatible 4/3 and Micro 4/3 to the end of 2013

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions
Howard11
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
A housing compatible 4/3 and Micro 4/3 to the end of 2013
Jan 10, 2013

An interesting article on a french olympus site.

Seems olympus is "something" preparing for 4/3 by the end of this year

Nice to know.

I 'll keep my 4/3 stuff for a while i think. The 4/3 future is not entirely dark after all.

In french

http://www.openpn.com/29/12/2012/olympus-un-boitier-compatible-43-et-micro-43-pour-fin-2013/

Or translated

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=it&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.openpn.com%2F29%2F12%2F2012%2Folympus-un-boitier-compatible-43-et-micro-43-pour-fin-2013%2F

goblin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,646Gear list
Like?
Re: A housing compatible 4/3 and Micro 4/3 to the end of 2013
In reply to Howard11, Jan 10, 2013

This is a rehash of the 43Rumors rumor from a few weeks back. Same pictures used, same sources.

As for the source - Quesabede had it right when the OM-D speculations were running before it was announced. Don't know if they'll be right on that one.

goblin's gear list:goblin's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-400 +31 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
vadimraskin
Senior MemberPosts: 3,540Gear list
Like?
In reply to goblin, Jan 11, 2013

if they make it bigger than OM-D but smaller than E-5 and it will fit all my ZD glass plus get me a better low light performance than my E-30 I am IN big time. I wonder how much they would charge for the new body. One can assume it should be around $1,700 to make it a "step up" from OM-D but competitive to other similar class pro cameras. Well, something to wait for at least.

vadimraskin's gear list:vadimraskin's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +3 more
Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,813Gear list
Like?
In reply to Howard11, Jan 11, 2013

The French version of the Spanish rumor perhaps?  Who will be next?  Say tuned, same Olympus channel, same Olympus time...:-)

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
BigBen08
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,466
Like?
In reply to vadimraskin, Jan 11, 2013

vadimraskin wrote:

if they make it bigger than OM-D but smaller than E-5 and it will fit all my ZD glass plus get me a better low light performance than my E-30 I am IN big time.

My feelings exactly.

Darrell500
Senior MemberPosts: 1,992Gear list
Like?

Think I'll hang onto my gear for a while, sounds promising.

-- hide signature --

"Don't Be Afraid To See What You See"
Darrell

Darrell500's gear list:Darrell500's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1030 SW Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +27 more
CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,602
Like?

Howard11 wrote:

I 'll keep my 4/3 stuff for a while i think. The 4/3 future is not entirely dark after all.

I don't think the 4/3 future has been entirely dark, except as interpreted by certain people. Those who prefer an OVF and solid AF with their existing glass certainly have had reasons to doubt. But the doubt has grown into a much bigger beast than Olympus's announcements have warranted-probably because of what the announcements ´╗┐didn't´╗┐ reveal.

Now we see further confirmation of something Olympus said some time ago, that a body or some other solution would be developed that would allow 4/3 glass to perform satisfactorily on an m4/3 body. That solution is only partial at least as far as OVF fans are concerned.

Unfortunately, I don't see OVF cameras remaining in the Olympus line up. I think they had m4/3 in mind since the adoption of the 4/3 sensor format, and consequently the fading away of OVF/DSLRs is a matter of following their (modified) plan. I say modified because I do believe that if the Ex and Exxx lines had proven more successful, Olympus would have found a way to maintain at least one DSLR in each line. However, a company facing the financial issues Olympus has cannot afford to pursue several projects at once, and must focus resources on what they think will be most successful.

What we have is, unfortunately, those people who want to see updated versions of Olympus dslrs, resolutely preferring OVFs, facing the near inevitability that such a thing will not happen. The issue those people need to face up to is they represent a pretty small percentage of the customer base as to mean that meeting their request may not be financially viable for Olympus.

-- hide signature --

Some people operate cameras. Others use them to create images. There is a difference.
http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/
http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

Chris Mak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,169
Like?
In reply to CharlesB58, Jan 11, 2013

CharlesB58 wrote:

Now we see further confirmation of something Olympus said some time ago, that a body or some other solution would be developed that would allow 4/3 glass to perform satisfactorily on an m4/3 body. That solution is only partial at least as far as OVF fans are concerned.

Unfortunately, I don't see OVF cameras remaining in the Olympus line up. I think they had m4/3 in mind since the adoption of the 4/3 sensor format, and consequently the fading away of OVF/DSLRs is a matter of following their (modified) plan. I say modified because I do believe that if the Ex and Exxx lines had proven more successful, Olympus would have found a way to maintain at least one DSLR in each line. However, a company facing the financial issues Olympus has cannot afford to pursue several projects at once, and must focus resources on what they think will be most successful.

What we have is, unfortunately, those people who want to see updated versions of Olympus dslrs, resolutely preferring OVFs, facing the near inevitability that such a thing will not happen. The issue those people need to face up to is they represent a pretty small percentage of the customer base as to mean that meeting their request may not be financially viable for Olympus.

Sorry, but for anyone that loves photographing wildlife, and especially birding, a good OVF and proper AF is a must. It would be a mistake if Olympus were to force the owners of the 250 and 300 lenses to an EVF. The need of a good OVF is underestimated for these types of photography.

CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,602
Like?
In reply to Chris Mak, Jan 11, 2013

Chris Mak wrote:

CharlesB58 wrote:

Sorry, but for anyone that loves photographing wildlife, and especially birding, a good OVF and proper AF is a must. It would be a mistake if Olympus were to force the owners of the 250 and 300 lenses to an EVF. The need of a good OVF is underestimated for these types of photography.

Tell me: how many owners of those lenses would refuse to switch to a camera which provides proper AF, even if it doesn't have an OVF (btw, EVFs are improving constantly so many of the arguments in favor of OVFs are becoming less relevant)? How many owners of those lenses would insist only on a camera with OVF? Now do the math: is it enough to justify the expense of producing the camera those people would demand?

Since Olympus Visionary Jay Kinghorn is among many who are already using the lenses you mention with m4/3 cameras-including shooting wildlife and birding- I would guess the answer is that not enough people who own those lenses will demand an OVF camera for it to be economically feasible to provide such a small percentage of owners with the camera they demand.

If less than 1% of a market demands something, is any sensible company going to cater to that small of a market share? The value of the feature to a given minority of users must be weighed against the cost of providing that feature.

-- hide signature --

Some people operate cameras. Others use them to create images. There is a difference.

jev2000
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?

CharlesB58 wrote:

-- hide signature --

I could face up to it a lot faster if Olympus would stop beating around the bush and just tell us what they are developing in clear language. I understand that those of us who want to see an new e-7-ish camera with OVF are a very small minority and that it isn't in Oly's financial interests to pursue the 4/3 line any more. I got that bit a long time ago.

That said, I think that Olympus has told us what they are working on and in plain enough language... by the end of 2013 there will be a new camera from Olympus that is capable of using m4/3 and 4/3 lenses and that the 4/3 lenses will be used by way of an adapter. The new camera will also provide fast AF with the 4/3 lenses. They haven't said anything about OVF vs EVF but I can't figure out how they would get a mirror in such a camera.

jev2000
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?

CharlesB58 wrote:

If less than 1% of a market demands something, is any sensible company going to cater to that small of a market share? The value of the feature to a given minority of users must be weighed against the cost of providing that feature.

-- hide signature --

No, it doesn't make sense for Olympus (or any other company) to cater to that small market. Nor does it make any sense for someone who wants/needs OVF to buy a camera from Olympus in the future.

dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,162Gear list
Like?
Old article belongs on Micro Four Thirds Talk forum.

This article was already posted several days ago. It's still here on the first page. If you looked at the threads here before you posted this you'd see it. Here's the OP for that thread.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50622687

The article is a repetitious blog that copies two other similar articles. Another blog, 4/3Rumors picked up on the articles and rebranded the speculation as insider info and fact. It's mostly wishful thinking by these bloggers based on an announcement by Olympus.

Olympus only said that they were developing a new camera that would maximiize the potential of our 4/3 HG and SHG DSLR lenses. Nothing more. No one knows what the next camera will be.

Those 3 articles were posted last week and the week before with similar results. But for lots of opinions and wishful thinking from other forum posters, see the thread link above.

The subject has been hammered and beaten to death already in several threads. This article is actually about MICRO 4/3 cameras. The thread and posting of this article belongs on Micro Four Thirds Talk forum, not on the Olympus DSLR Talk forum.

-- hide signature --

Dave
No thought exists without an image. Socrates
http://whaleshark.smugmug.com

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,162Gear list
Like?
That's not what Olympus said
In reply to jev2000, Jan 11, 2013

jev2000 wrote:

That said, I think that Olympus has told us what they are working on and in plain enough language... by the end of 2013 there will be a new camera from Olympus that is capable of using m4/3 and 4/3 lenses and that the 4/3 lenses will be used by way of an adapter. The new camera will also provide fast AF with the 4/3 lenses. ...

Olympus did not say that. That m4/3 and 4/3 hybrid line of thinking was postulated by the bloggers who interpreted a very short statement from Olympus. Questions about a hybrid or adapter were not answered by Olympus. Read the articles more carefully, all 4 versions of the same speculation, and notice where Olympus is quoted and what is speculation by the authors.

Olympus said they are developing a camera that will optimize the use of 4/3 lenses and that camera will be released by the end of 2013. Nothing more.

-- hide signature --

Dave
No thought exists without an image. Socrates
http://whaleshark.smugmug.com

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
altair8800
Senior MemberPosts: 1,247
Like?
Re: That's not what Olympus said
In reply to dave gaines, Jan 11, 2013

dave gaines wrote:

jev2000 wrote:

That said, I think that Olympus has told us what they are working on and in plain enough language... by the end of 2013 there will be a new camera from Olympus that is capable of using m4/3 and 4/3 lenses and that the 4/3 lenses will be used by way of an adapter. The new camera will also provide fast AF with the 4/3 lenses. ...

Olympus did not say that. That m4/3 and 4/3 hybrid line of thinking was postulated by the bloggers who interpreted a very short statement from Olympus. Questions about a hybrid or adapter were not answered by Olympus. Read the articles more carefully, all 4 versions of the same speculation, and notice where Olympus is quoted and what is speculation by the authors.

Olympus said they are developing a camera that will optimize the use of 4/3 lenses and that camera will be released by the end of 2013. Nothing more.

Maybe a little more:

Ogawa: "Of course, we're reaching a high level of performance with our Micro Four Thirds mirrorless product, but we are still not satisfied with these at the professional level. That's why we think we still need the E-System to satisfy professional photographers."

Dan

TheSquid
Regular MemberPosts: 203
Like?

what could be done is a hybrid body that had the sensor and mirror for 4/3 glass with the proper sensor distance....and the sensor without mirror with proper sensor distance for m4/3 glass.  The way it would work is that the same sensor would work for both lenses.  For 4/3, the mirror box is like a standard 4/3 body.....when it goes into m4/3 mode, the mirror goes up and the sensor moves forward to the proper distance.  Simple maximum movement points would keep the sensor parallel to the lens flange.

altair8800
Like?
In reply to TheSquid, Jan 11, 2013

TheSquid wrote:

what could be done is a hybrid body that had the sensor and mirror for 4/3 glass with the proper sensor distance....and the sensor without mirror with proper sensor distance for m4/3 glass. The way it would work is that the same sensor would work for both lenses. For 4/3, the mirror box is like a standard 4/3 body.....when it goes into m4/3 mode, the mirror goes up and the sensor moves forward to the proper distance. Simple maximum movement points would keep the sensor parallel to the lens flange.

And where do you put the EVF? Just have mft adapter for E-7.

Dan

agogo
Regular MemberPosts: 371Gear list
Like?
EVF isn't really a limitation
In reply to Chris Mak, Jan 11, 2013

After using the EM5 now for 5 months, the EVF is not so much of a limitation (much to my surprise!)

I've even experimented with it for birding with the 300/2.8 and it isn't the EVF so much as the crap AF and the AF area not being small enough for smaller birds amongst branches and foliage.

I'd hazard a guess that the next generation EVFs will be higher res and faster and it will be a non-issue (at least for me) - in fact it can have benefits. Sony after all have enough faith in them that they are wholly going EVF's on their cameras.

I'd have no hesitation if the new hybrid had an EVF to use with my long lenses.

9fps would be awesome too - without that flapping mirror, etc - another benefit for the mirror-less/EVF hybrid.

Craig from Nevada
Contributing MemberPosts: 622Gear list
Like?
In reply to Howard11, Jan 12, 2013

Sounds expensive.  We had all better start saving.

TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,403
Like?
Nothing new here, the situation is as muddled as it has always been.
In reply to Howard11, Jan 12, 2013

M. Gaucher, of Oly France, has simply put a date on Watanabe-san's statement last fall that 4/3 glass will be supported with fast AF in a future release. Same as the head of Oly Spain said a few weeks ago:

The date is by the end of 2013.

Not a peep from any of them on what form it will take. Not a peep on whether it will be 4/3 only, or both M43 and 4/3. Could be a reworked E5, could be an EM5 scaled up with larger buttons/grip and PDAF on sensor, could be something in between.

The only thing that is known for sure is: 4/3 glass will get a modern body and state of the art sensor. And that's good news, regardless of what form it takes.

Sort of brings back childhood memories of waiting for Christmas, doesn't it? You know something nice is coming, you just don't know how nice it will be. And the days pass sooooo slowly....

altair8800
Like?
In reply to CharlesB58, Jan 12, 2013

CharlesB58 wrote:

Chris Mak wrote:

CharlesB58 wrote:

Tell me: how many owners of those lenses would refuse to switch to a camera which provides proper AF, even if it doesn't have an OVF (btw, EVFs are improving constantly so many of the arguments in favor of OVFs are becoming less relevant)? How many owners of those lenses would insist only on a camera with OVF? Now do the math: is it enough to justify the expense of producing the camera those people would demand?

Since Olympus Visionary Jay Kinghorn is among many who are already using the lenses you mention with m4/3 cameras-including shooting wildlife and birding- I would guess the answer is that not enough people who own those lenses will demand an OVF camera for it to be economically feasible to provide such a small percentage of owners with the camera they demand.

In case you missed it below, see what a sensible company man says:

Ogawa: "Of course, we're reaching a high level of performance with our Micro Four Thirds mirrorless product, but we are still not satisfied with these at the professional level. That's why we think we still need the E-System to satisfy professional photographers."

Dan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads