I think SR causes image blur

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions
guzzibreva1
Contributing MemberPosts: 917
Like?
I think SR causes image blur
Jan 10, 2013

I have noticed that it is hard to get a razor sharp image unless I use a flash or tripod with long exposure with my K5. Shutter speeds faster than 1/200 are not usually a problem when hand held.

I can't help but think that since the sensor is mounted on a movable mechanism there would be a tendency for this to be subject to vibrations that occur faster than the gyro feedback from the SR system.

Has anyone else experienced this tendency?

Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Simon Devlin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,228
Like?
Re: I think SR causes image blur
In reply to guzzibreva1, Jan 10, 2013

guzzibreva1 wrote:

I have noticed that it is hard to get a razor sharp image unless I use a flash or tripod with long exposure with my K5. Shutter speeds faster than 1/200 are not usually a problem when hand held.

I can't help but think that since the sensor is mounted on a movable mechanism there would be a tendency for this to be subject to vibrations that occur faster than the gyro feedback from the SR system.

At high shutter speeds or tripod mounting you are meant to switch the SR off.

I have no problem with SR even if I forget to leave it on!

Are you pixel peeping?

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Simon Devlin
Like?
In reply to Simon Devlin, Jan 10, 2013

Ooooops, I have a K-30 btw.

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

guzzibreva1
Like?
In reply to Simon Devlin, Jan 10, 2013

I always turn off SR and use time delay when using tripod. The results then are always good. It just that it seems quite often there is a blur in one axis when SR is on using the camera hand held. I am pixel peeping for sure but I like to make large prints and it does show then.

Maybe the problem is that I never had a camera with this high  resloution and small defect are more visible.

Nick Savoiu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,616
Like?

SR has a setup time for each shot. Use PhotoME to check if the shot was fully stabilized. Otherwise SR might not have been fully effective.

-- hide signature --

Nick (http://savoiu.zenfolio.com/)

DrewE
Senior MemberPosts: 1,991Gear list
Like?

Have you tried comparing shots with SR and without SR under identical circumstances?  I suspect you may well find that the non-SR shots are even more blurred.

-- hide signature --

--DrewE

DrewE's gear list:DrewE's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II +3 more
guzzibreva1
Like?
In reply to DrewE, Jan 10, 2013

I think I have found my problem.  If the camera has been somewhat motionless prior to the shot, the shake reduction is just as quick as auto focus. If I move the camera somewhat then take the shot the auto focus is too quick for the SR to be ready.

SRT201
Senior MemberPosts: 1,932
Like?

My initial experience with SR using a Kx was much the same.  If the setup time doesn't elapse you can get a blurry shot.  Fortunately the K5 setup time is a LOT shorter than the Kx.

-- hide signature --

Any government that has the power to correct any injustice and level any inequality also has the power to do ANYTHING it wants.

Giant Tsunami
Forum MemberPosts: 91
Like?

guzzibreva1 wrote:

I think I have found my problem. If the camera has been somewhat motionless prior to the shot, the shake reduction is just as quick as auto focus. If I move the camera somewhat then take the shot the auto focus is too quick for the SR to be ready.

I went through this question myself, I am no lab tech but in the tests I did I found no difference if the factors were identical. I cared as you do becuase I often magnify the small detail in my shots (through cropping tho, not large print), so for me it was also very important, hence the reason I bought a IIs. I can say I now shoot with IS on all the time, and if it were going to show a flaw on any pentax camera, it would be the IIs. Any little thing shows on this camera as the sharpness ceiling is quite high. I would shoot away using IS and not worry, it will be no worse than having it off. The only downside I can think of is perhaps a small battery drain?

audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,270Gear list
Like?
Nope!

I've tested this many times. I get better results with SR when it's needed, and have found no ill effects when it's not needed. I use SR at all times except when on tripod. IOW, I use SR even with high shutter speeds, on a monopod and when panning.

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +15 more
MonkRX
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?

guzzibreva1 wrote:

I'll echo the rest of the group. SR and Auto Focus both need to be "ready" for a sharp image. Off topic, but SR on my K-x is slightly buggy too. I get tons of double images at certain shutter speeds.

Pentax could definitely use a little more R&D with the SR tech. It could use a fair bit more optimization.

MonkRX's gear list:MonkRX's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-P505 +1 more
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 2,985Gear list
Like?

After about 10K shots with a K5 I can say the SR always stays on for me.  (I have even left it on during video recording and I think it actually helped but that might be folklore.)  I was even hoping Pentax would start anti-aliasing the K5IIs by moving the sensor one pixel width around a square pattern during the shutter release.  Bet they've already thought of that.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
KRG1953
Regular MemberPosts: 234
Like?
In reply to SRT201, Jan 10, 2013

SRT201 wrote:

My initial experience with SR using a Kx was much the same. If the setup time doesn't elapse you can get a blurry shot. Fortunately the K5 setup time is a LOT shorter than the Kx.

-- hide signature --

Any government that has the power to correct any injustice and level any inequality also has the power to do ANYTHING it wants.

I am also a happy K-x user. But sometimes i also get a blurry pic. And when i analyse ths via Photome I also see Sometimes Not ready, or sometimes not stabilized. Both occur.

Esspecially when you take multiple shots of the same object several seconds after each other.

It takes time for the SR to get ready apperently. You can see this in the viewfinder but i mostly don't look at the symbol.

Matthew Miller
Senior MemberPosts: 1,250Gear list
Like?
Wait for the hand

guzzibreva1 wrote:

I think I have found my problem. If the camera has been somewhat motionless prior to the shot, the shake reduction is just as quick as auto focus. If I move the camera somewhat then take the shot the auto focus is too quick for the SR to be ready.

Yes. Half-press the shutter and wait. A green "hand" indicator will appear in the viewfinder when SR is ready. If you take the photo before that, SR can add additional blur.

-- hide signature --

Matthew Miller « http://mattdm.org/ »

Matthew Miller's gear list:Matthew Miller's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited
MonkRX
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?

+1 to the guy who never checks the "SR" ready symbol. I never look either.

There should be a custom menu option to have an additional "beep" when SR is ready. So you have confirmation of both AF and SR through visual and auditory senses. Or Pentax could simply perfect the SR system

MonkRX's gear list:MonkRX's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-P505 +1 more
Simon Devlin
Like?
In reply to MonkRX, Jan 10, 2013

MonkRX wrote:

There should be a custom menu option to have an additional "beep" when SR is ready. So you have confirmation of both AF and SR through visual and auditory senses. Or Pentax could simply perfect the SR system

I have to admit I didn't know that either!

+2

-- hide signature --

Simon
Legacy lens lover

awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,776Gear list
Like?
In reply to MonkRX, Jan 10, 2013

MonkRX wrote:

How about a hand that pops out slaps you and a voice saying take the shot dummy

Seriously Pentax et al can only hold the photgs hand so much a certain level of ability has to remain the province of the human element else why not just get rid of this constantly failing part altogether (humanless images)

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
bjake
Regular MemberPosts: 327
Like?
In reply to awaldram, Jan 10, 2013

Used a K-X for about two years and found sr was good on handheld shots but turned it off when shooting flying birds and such.Shooting macro and close up was getting too many blurred pictures and found leaving sr off got a lot more keepers.It shouldn't have been setup time as I always shoot these all manual including focus.Got a K-5 a couple month's ago,not had a chance to check this out on it but will when spring comes,flowers bloom and bees fly.

SRT201
Like?
In reply to KRG1953, Jan 10, 2013

Of course with the Kx you also have some serious, audible mirror slap going on.  I find my Kx is not really useful for long tele for that reason.  Sometimes I would get sharp, other times the slap was evident.

-- hide signature --

SRT201
Like?
Re: Nope!
In reply to audiobomber, Jan 10, 2013

I will second that.  I have found SR to help at shutter speeds even above 1/500 with long tele lenses.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads