Third Party Battery for NEX6?

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Questions
foody1000
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?
Third Party Battery for NEX6?
Jan 10, 2013

Hi all.  I just picked up the NEX6 and learned my current 3rd party battery is not compatible with the NEX6.  Has anyone out there bought 3rd party batteries that FOR SURE work with the NEX6?  Please post link if possible.  I searched the forum and did not find any good threads on this topic.  Thanks.

ANSWER:
Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Abaregi
Regular MemberPosts: 124
Like?
Re: Third Party Battery for NEX6?
In reply to foody1000, Jan 10, 2013

I bought this one in Sweden for 37$

The cheapest price i can find for a Sony one costs 107$ here...

Only used it 4 cycles thus far and seems to have about 80% of the capacity of the Sony original. But you get what you pay i guess.

Edit

I use this for the 5R but as far as I have seen it's the same for the 6. Though you probably should doublecheck that.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chuck Lawson
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
In reply to foody1000, Jan 10, 2013

foody1000 wrote:

Hi all. I just picked up the NEX6 and learned my current 3rd party battery is not compatible with the NEX6. Has anyone out there bought 3rd party batteries that FOR SURE work with the NEX6? Please post link if possible. I searched the forum and did not find any good threads on this topic. Thanks.

I bought the "wasabi power battery 2-pack and charger" for $26 on Amazon, and the batteries seem to work fine in my NEX 6.  Plus you also get a charger that works on house current and includes a car adapter.

windowsmaclinux
Regular MemberPosts: 249
Like?
In reply to Chuck Lawson, Jan 10, 2013

Do the wasabi batteries hold the charge when left alone?

foody1000
Like?
In reply to windowsmaclinux, Jan 10, 2013

Does anyone else has these Wasibi batteries?  I read the reviews on Amazon and one of the reviewers said they didn't work with the NEX 6.  Can someone confirm that they indeed work?  Thanks.

racingc5
New MemberPosts: 16
Like?
In reply to foody1000, Jan 11, 2013

I bought these same as chuck i believe, yes they work and the charger works great as well

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049WBZEK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
racingc5
Like?
In reply to racingc5, Jan 11, 2013

Opps, yes they hold a charge when left alone

Tommygun45
Senior MemberPosts: 1,038Gear list
Like?

I had the wasabi power pack and they worked great on my 5n. Just as good as the OEM battery. Have a 6 on the way and I ordered more of the same batteries. Let you know next week.

Tommygun45's gear list:Tommygun45's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,387Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tommygun45, Jan 11, 2013

Many thanks, I ordered the kit last night. There were only 4 remaining out 50, or something like that. Cheap enough, if it works on the 6 it should work on the 5R.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
windowsmaclinux
Regular MemberPosts: 249
Like?
In reply to Chuck Lawson, Jan 11, 2013

Questions to all who bought the wasabi batteries + charger: How does it hold the battery in place? I saw a photo on the amazon product page that shows the charger having two plastic prongs sticking out to hold the battery and I think that will get broken easily if shoved into a bag. Thanks!

racingc5
Like?
In reply to windowsmaclinux, Jan 11, 2013

windowsmaclinux wrote:

Questions to all who bought the wasabi batteries + charger: How does it hold the battery in place? I saw a photo on the amazon product page that shows the charger having two plastic prongs sticking out to hold the battery and I think that will get broken easily if shoved into a bag. Thanks!

The charger itself is channeled, the battery slides in that channel, the tabs hold the battery still if you where moving such as in your vehicle, i think however, not 100% sure. the battery would still stay in the charger if the tabs where to break off, the channel appears deep enough to hold the battery in place to charge. I would think if they where to break off you would still be able to use the charger, although you may have to use a rubber band to hold the battery in place, hope it helps

foody1000
Like?

Thanks guys.  I just put in the order for the wasabi batteries for my NEX 6.  I will confirm compatability once I get to try them.  Several of the reviews on amazon said the batteries worked fine on the 5R as well.

adi9
Contributing MemberPosts: 836
Like?
In reply to foody1000, Jan 11, 2013

Search for threads related to NEX-7 and NEX5N batteryes (lots of threads with lots of links).Battery working with 7 and 5N will work with newer NEX-es also. Battery working with first generation NEX may not work with later generations. I posted a week or two ago a link to eBay batteries wich I'm using for about one year in NEX7 with no problems whatsoever. They cost around $15 including shipping. There are links on other threads to other models which cost even less around $10.

Speaking about capacity the batteries are rated higher than Sony (more mAh). I did not do a scientific compare but they hold at least the same charge as the Sony original one, which is good enough for me for the price.

adi9
Contributing MemberPosts: 836
Like?
In reply to windowsmaclinux, Jan 11, 2013

windowsmaclinux wrote:

I have 3 different chargers (one is the original one). They all work well, but you are right the cheapest ones which you can find on eBay are the ones with prongs which can easy break.If you break the prongs becomes unasable as the battery will fall so be carefull. I don't use it when I travel only at home, I take the Sony one with me for travel. You can find on eBay also chargers which look like the Sony model, without prongs they cost a few more dollars. But like I said all do their job you can cahrge Sony or third party betteries on any of them.

racingc5
Like?
In reply to adi9, Jan 11, 2013

adi9 wrote:

windowsmaclinux wrote:

I have 3 different chargers (one is the original one). They all work well, but you are right the cheapest ones which you can find on eBay are the ones with prongs which can easy break.If you break the prongs becomes unasable as the battery will fall so be carefull. I don't use it when I travel only at home, I take the Sony one with me for travel. You can find on eBay also chargers which look like the Sony model, without prongs they cost a few more dollars. But like I said all do their job you can cahrge Sony or third party betteries on any of them.

I agree, if i where going to travel i would charge all my batteries before leaving, and take only the oem charger from sony, and leave the after market one home. Thanks for the heads up, if the tabs break off the charger is no longer useful, i wasn't sure just by looking, but you can bet i would try my rubber band idea 1st before throwing it out lol...

captura
Like?
In reply to adi9, Jan 11, 2013

adi9 wrote:

Search for threads related to NEX-7 and NEX5N batteryes (lots of threads with lots of links).Battery working with 7 and 5N will work with newer NEX-es also. Battery working with first generation NEX may not work with later generations. I posted a week or two ago a link to eBay batteries wich I'm using for about one year in NEX7 with no problems whatsoever. They cost around $15 including shipping. There are links on other threads to other models which cost even less around $10.

Speaking about capacity the batteries are rated higher than Sony (more mAh). I did not do a scientific compare but they hold at least the same charge as the Sony original one, which is good enough for me for the price.

Even the oldest batteries from Sony will work well on the newest NEX.

Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
pcake
Contributing MemberPosts: 692Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, Jan 11, 2013

can you use the wasabi charger on the sony battery that comes with the 5R?

pcake's gear list:pcake's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2
captura
Like?
In reply to pcake, Jan 11, 2013

pcake wrote:

Funny thing that you should ask. I actually bought my 5R from Future Shop where the battery and lens were missing. I negotiated for the amazing price of $299. (half price.)

So my answer to your question is, I don't know.

captura
Like?
In reply to captura, Jan 11, 2013

- and I just ordered the Wasabi + 2 batteries and am waiting.

Meanwhile I have 2 original batteries from my NEX-3 which I will be selling. Like new, box, cables, etc.

pcake
Contributing MemberPosts: 692Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, Jan 12, 2013

captura wrote:

pcake wrote:

Funny thing that you should ask. I actually bought my 5R from Future Shop where the battery and lens were missing. I negotiated for the amazing price of $299. (half price.)

So my answer to your question is, I don't know.

wow, that IS an amazing price

pcake's gear list:pcake's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads