XZ-2 vs Fuji X20

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions
skiphunt13
Senior MemberPosts: 2,516
Like?
XZ-2 vs Fuji X20
Jan 10, 2013

I'd pretty much made up my mind that as soon as the price comes down on the XZ-2, I would likely get one. But now this Fuji X20 announcement has me a bit interested. Even does 1080p video at 60fps and has a larger sensor. hmmmmm....

Looking forward to see how these two stack up against each other.

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm X20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mr Sincere
Regular MemberPosts: 330Gear list
Like?
Re: XZ-2 vs Fuji X20
In reply to skiphunt13, Jan 10, 2013

The X20 is indeed a nice looking camera.  I briefly owned an X10, and loved the manual zoom.  So much more responsive and engaging than the slow electronic zooms every other "enthusiast compact" has.  It's really the one feature I really wish Olympus could've figured out for the xz-2, though Id suppose it would add even more size/weight.

The only thing holding me back from going back to Fuji, now that they're addressing focus issues, is the poor RAW demosaicing in LR from their new X-Trans sensors, which the X20 appears to have.  But if you don't shoot RAW, it looks like a great camera.

Mr Sincere's gear list:Mr Sincere's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rangerob
Regular MemberPosts: 129Gear list
Like?
In reply to skiphunt13, Jan 10, 2013

I think that camera is going to take some beautiful pictures.

A few minor things that would keep me from buying it are:

1. 460k dot LCD (I like to review my shots taken on the lcd or view finder at 1:1 to see if I got the shot I wanted, or if I need to keep on shooting.  460k lcd in my experience is not as good for that.  It was not good on my GH2 screen, and not good on my FZ200).

2. No live histogram in the view finder.

3. I mostly only shoot RAW, so I would want to wait until Lightroom supported Fuji’s raw format better.

Rangerob's gear list:Rangerob's gear list
Fujifilm X20 +1 more
skiphunt13
Like?
In reply to Rangerob, Jan 10, 2013

Does ACR support it?

-- hide signature --
Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,356Gear list
Like?
Well, I must say....
In reply to skiphunt13, Jan 11, 2013

Although I haven't advertised the fact, I've owned a Fuji X-10 for 5 - 6 months and have absolutely grown to love this metal wonder.  The DR and IQ I'm getting from this little Leica look-a-like is amazing (no, no white orbs on my copy).   It has an options feature-set that's second to none and it offers a flexibility set of options more in tune with what you'd find in  expensive DSLR's - that alone just blew me away.

So why am I saying this?  Well, I have always focused on the advanced enthusiast model circuit.  I have the likes of the XZ-1, the Nikon P7100/P7700, the Panny LX-5, the Canon G12, S100, and SX-50 HS.  Love 'em all as they all bring something to the table.

But I must say that the X-10 has really just been a sleeper for me as I never envisioned getting that camera - but having done so now has me also admiring firmly in the Fuji camp.

With this new X-20, the most impressive thing for me is the OVF with now superimposes lots of information, AF points, etc.  It's remarkable and something I've been bitchin' about for years - that is, the inability of OVF's on enthusiast models to show anything when looking through it.  So the X-20 may be a model that I'm looking at also.  And since the X-20 is still only 12 MP's, you may want to look at getting an X-10 (make sure to all the firmware updates once you do get it).  You will be amazed at all this camera can do - in particular in the DR arena, exceptional design and ergonomics, and unbelievable feature-set for such a genre of camera.

I passed over the XZ-2 because quite frankly, I got an E-PL5 for only $549 and it's about the same size as the XZ-2 (plus the ability to change out lenses....and 16 MP's!).  I couldn't justify the outlay of funds on the XZ-2 when I could get a m4/3 camera that was one step below the OMD.  But hey, I understand that part of the cost of the XZ-2 is the lens and that is very sharp glass.

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 Canon PowerShot G12 +30 more
Aaron Sur
Senior MemberPosts: 1,041
Like?
Re: Well, I must say....
In reply to Ben Herrmann, Jan 11, 2013

Just the thought of all those cables and chargers not to say formatting SD cards for so many cameras!

Do you have a roulette wheel or some app on the phone to help you decide , when they all look at you pleading"pick me pick me"!

and I thought I was crazy when I brought every accessory lens for the coolpix 990 from the ridiculous fish eye to the 300mm teleconverter .

you are absolutely correct about the EPL-5 , for me it is the XZ-2 killer , recently here in Australia it was advertised for AUD $ 746 in a twin lens kit with a wireless SD card from Olympus by redemption.

skiphunt13
Like?
Re: Well, I must say....
In reply to Ben Herrmann, Jan 11, 2013

You make some excellent points about the EPL-5. I've seen work with the X10 and found it too had a nice organic quality that I like in the Olympus cameras I've used.

1080p 60fps video is attractive also.

Going to take one more short 1-month Mexico trip with the XZ-1 (mostly to write) and will play with GoPro Hero3 2.7k video clips as well as the sweet time-laps it can produce. The XZ-1 will serve me fine for stills yet again.

Will likely get a Panasonic GH3 for video work once a few more are out in the wild and they aren't back-ordered everywhere... and concentrate mostly on stills performance for my next compact.

At the moment, considering the XZ2 if the price comes down... the EPL-5 for the reasons you cite, and this new Fuji X20 once it gets reviewed and I see what the actual street price will be.

-- hide signature --
Ben O Connor
Contributing MemberPosts: 850Gear list
Like?
Oly X VS. Fuji X
In reply to skiphunt13, Jan 11, 2013

As an Oly XZ-1 owner, i find the Fuji´s outlook succesfull (not amazing as white XZ-1 of mine though ) and the Hot shue spesicif, is amazingly stylish. Not punching your face like XZ´s actually (only down part i can say). And back then, manually zooming was a great option in terms of control snd battery life.

And now,

XZ-2 is still stylish and better, X20 is good but still reminds you "that brand" ... you know

XZ-2 still has annoying hot shue styling, even they sell their hotshue & EVF to "that brand " for their new models (both P&S and Rangefinder models)

XZ-2 has the manual zooming also, not as manual as X20 i guess, anyway enought for usebility...

My hearth still beats on left, where the Olympus XZ-1 is hanging with its white leather jacket+strap

Ben

Ben O Connor's gear list:Ben O Connor's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
skiphunt13
Like?
Re: Oly X VS. Fuji X
In reply to Ben O Connor, Jan 11, 2013

I used to put down folks who kept buying different cameras as if the camera itself is what makes the image. And I never truly got the "styling" element. But I've changed my mind about that. I was overlooking the fact that some just like to collect things. I collect photos and travel experiences... really the same thing as collecting gadgets. I like tinkering and collecting various gadgets at times too.. so it's really hypocritical and arrogant of me to critique the same practice I'm engaged in as well. It's all just collecting and whatever floats anyone else's boat is a-ok with me.

The styling doesn't really factor in at all for me. It's all about how the tool will better allow me to collect more images in a variety of situations so that I rarely feel my creatively is limited by the tool.

Overall, I think the XZ2 is a great step up from the XZ1. The only problems I have with it are the lack of manual controls and features in video mode only, and the price. I think it's over-priced against the competition. I think the RX100 beats the XZ2 for video production, but as a stills tool... I like the XZ2 package better. I'm basically waiting/hoping the price comes down.

What attracts me to the Fuji X20 is the larger sensor and the images I've seen made by the Fuji line. They're on par with what I like about the Olympus line. What I also like about the Fuji X20 is that it shoots 1080p at 60fps. If the controls are there as a viable mini video machine in a pinch, the 60fps is wonderful for slo-mo and hiding camera shake. I've seen the list price quoted at $599 the same as the list of the XZ2.

Don't need a new stills compact at the moment and can happily get by with the XZ1 a little longer... but when the reviews come out for each of these... and if the street price is the same... it's going to be an even tougher choice for me.

-- hide signature --
Ben O Connor
Contributing MemberPosts: 850Gear list
Like?
In reply to skiphunt13, Jan 12, 2013

skiphunt13 wrote:

I'd pretty much made up my mind that as soon as the price comes down on the XZ-2, I would likely get one. But now this Fuji X20 announcement has me a bit interested. Even does 1080p video at 60fps and has a larger sensor. hmmmmm....

Looking forward to see how these two stack up against each other.

-- hide signature --

Sorry to be nother, by being focused outlook only. But i wish to carry soemtihng, that also looks nice. and XZ-1 white really does. XZ-2 as well. more "work oriented" (cant say pro. what a pro with 1/1,7 sensor ) And both XZ´s are very well desinged. Not as modern as Pentax Brick formed P-01. You do not need to be fashion icon yourself. Do not need to be the breavest to carry it together with you. anyway. Oulook = Olympus wins.

And then Larger sensor... umm yes sure, but we know this "white dot effect" on X10 and noone mention about new lens system (honestly i haven´t check announcement carefully yet, but it is more like "same thing, with better video in color grey" so on...

Based on these, i think Olympus is victorious.  But sure, the best is waiting the test / reviews from both. However we have test images on XZ-2 its review is one of the well kept secrets of DPR

... and afterall (surely , in this kind of economical stuation): price tag. Its good to wait a bit.

Ben

Ben O Connor's gear list:Ben O Connor's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Shomari
Regular MemberPosts: 416Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ben O Connor, Jan 15, 2013

I owned a fuji X10 for over a year and loved it for all types of photography such as scenery, snapshots and occasional events.  the camera is competent, convenient and takes drop dead gorgeous photos. I also own a Fuji X100.  However... I recently gave the X10 to my son and purchased the XZ-1 for it's art filters which I love.  The best camera is the one you have with you and I think most of the cameras that are currently on the market will serve you well. Besides pen, paper and imagination will do for most people so purchase what you need and have fun.  Your imagination awaits you.

Regards,

PS: I have some X10 shots posted in my gallery.  take a look, if this helps.  I'm not a technical shooter, I just shoot what I've seen that particular moment in time.  And... also like the Pen 5 sugggestion.

Howard

-- hide signature --

Howard
htree1@suddenlink.net

Shomari's gear list:Shomari's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Pentax MX-1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads