HS50 vs X-S1

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions
PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,211
Like?
HS50 vs X-S1
Jan 10, 2013

This might be interesting to some of you.

I wonder if they really are dropping the the X-S1 in favour of a more mainstream bridge camera like the other manufacturers?

It appears that the HS50 is almost the same size as the X-S1. I do like the look of the lens, the bubble shape zoom on the X-S1 has always irritated me, reminds me of those old Canon lenses.

Paul.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:
You Must Be 10% Smarter Than The Equipment You're Operating

Fujifilm X-S1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,299Gear list
Like?
Re: HS50 vs X-S1
In reply to PAUL TILL, Jan 10, 2013

Any price do we know regarding the HS50 ? the X20 according to wex is £599 probably subject to change.

-- hide signature --

Alan.

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PAUL TILL
Like?
In reply to ASR45, Jan 10, 2013

ASR45 wrote:

Any price do we know regarding the HS50 ? the X20 according to wex is £599 probably subject to change.

-- hide signature --

Alan.

You're tempted to come back to the dark side aren't you Allen?

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

ASR45
Forum ProPosts: 32,299Gear list
Like?

PAUL TILL wrote:

ASR45 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Alan.

You're tempted to come back aren't you Allen?

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

LOL, Paul i have no use for the HS50 although i suspect it will be a good camera, i have recently gone FF so not for me, however i always kicked myself when i sold the X10 felt it was a great camera with or without the orbs.

The X20 would be a great little carry around camera, saves me getting a pain in the neck from my DSLR and heavy lens. You know i had the X-S1, well only for about a week, just did not think the IQ was great, saying that others had better results guess i had a lemon.

I have always been a fan of fuji, since the S100Fs days, i think for the money they do a good job.

-- hide signature --

Alan.

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot G12 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 II +8 more
metalized
Forum MemberPosts: 66Gear list
Like?

I think the successor of X-S1 will be an X-S2. And like all the new X-Series the X-S2 will have an X-Trans CMOS.sensor.

AdamT
Forum ProPosts: 56,415Gear list
Like?

That`s one big camera for a pinhead sensor !! (HS50) , even the HS20 was bigger than it ought to be .

the barrel shaped zoom on the XS1 reminded me of the crappo sigma film camera superzooms like the 28-300 compact Hypermacro ..

-- hide signature --

** A Problem is only the pessimistic way of looking at a challenge **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sigma DP1 Fujifilm X-S1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P330 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Wellington100
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,947Gear list
Like?

I could live with a bulky camera but I could not live with a heavy one

-- hide signature --

S100fs, S6500, S5, F300, D40, EX1, EPM1

PAUL TILL
Like?
In reply to AdamT, Jan 10, 2013

The HS50 is bigger than a D7000 !!!

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

PAUL TILL
Like?
In reply to Wellington100, Jan 10, 2013

Wellington100 wrote:

I could live with a bulky camera but I could not live with a heavy one

-- hide signature --

S100fs, S6500, S5, F300, D40, EX1, EPM1

I like big and heavy, the HS50 is looking better and better, if only it had the EVF from the X-S1, it would then be usable.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

PAUL TILL
Like?

Here's one for you HS30 owners thinking of upgrading. Most HS30 users on the FTF have said at some point that the X-S1 is too big.

How do you feel now?

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

PAUL TILL
Like?

I spoke to Fuji UK this afternoon and they said there is no X-S2 planned as of yet and if there was they wouldn't know until the Autumn when the next release of cameras is announced.

For anyone in the UK interested in getting there hands on an HS50, it will be on show at the Focus on Imaging exhibition at the NEC in March.

http://www.focus-on-imaging.co.uk/

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

TAGRIFFIN
Contributing MemberPosts: 583Gear list
Like?

Hi

I spoke with a Fuji rep. at the Ottawa camera show and he doubts there will ever be a xs-2! Kind of implied that sales were not so great and that it was too much of a niche market to warrant an update.

Tim

Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,292
Like?
In reply to TAGRIFFIN, Jan 10, 2013

TAGRIFFIN wrote:

Hi

I spoke with a Fuji rep. at the Ottawa camera show and he doubts there will ever be a xs-2! Kind of implied that sales were not so great and that it was too much of a niche market to warrant an update.

Tim

Looking at the evolution of the HS30 > HS50, I think the X-S1 will die young and childless.

-- hide signature --

You don't TAKE a photo, you MAKE a photo.

PAUL TILL
Like?
In reply to Midwest, Jan 10, 2013

Looking at dpreviews article make it even more confusing.

Is the HS35 the HS30 replacement?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2013/01/07/Fujifilm-finepix-hs50-exr-hs35

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

jcmarfilph
Senior MemberPosts: 7,592Gear list
Like?

PAUL TILL wrote:

I wonder if they really are dropping the the X-S1 in favour of a more mainstream bridge camera like the other manufacturers?

It appears that the HS50 is almost the same size as the X-S1. I do like the look of the lens, the bubble shape zoom on the X-S1 has always irritated me, reminds me of those old Canon lenses.

Paul.

-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

What a gorgeous hs50 camera. Size is perfect, weight is perfect and no stupid-looking barrel just like that on the x-s1. I can live with the smaller EVF as long as I have longer and faster and sharper lens with no droopage.

-=[ Joms ]=-

jcmarfilph's gear list:jcmarfilph's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR +1 more
Ralph McKenzie
Senior MemberPosts: 1,685Gear list
Like?

TAGRIFFIN wrote:

Hi

Tim

I got a very similar response from Fuji NZ as well, hence my other thread asking if the HS50 is going to be the XS-1 replacement.

I've never thought for an instant that they would do an XS-2, price alone makes it prohibitive when compared to good entry level DSLR's with a half decent kit lens, not to mention its poor IQ compared to an entry level DSLR. The XS-1 could have been a great camera if they had stepped it up to 4/3, but with all its faults it was destined to be a failure. Fuji outlets here struggle to sell any at all, they are just too expensive and underwhelming for the money you pay.

-- hide signature --

Love dat Fuji
http://akiwiretrospective.wordpress.com/
Fuji HS20EXR
Fuji HS10,
Pentax K1000, Pentax sf7, Pentax zx-50

Ralph McKenzie's gear list:Ralph McKenzie's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR
PAUL TILL
Like?
In reply to Ralph McKenzie, Jan 10, 2013

Ralph McKenzie wrote:

TAGRIFFIN wrote:

Hi

Tim

I got a very similar response from Fuji NZ as well, hence my other thread asking if the HS50 is going to be the XS-1 replacement.

I've never thought for an instant that they would do an XS-2, price alone makes it prohibitive when compared to good entry level DSLR's with a half decent kit lens, not to mention its poor IQ compared to an entry level DSLR. The XS-1 could have been a great camera if they had stepped it up to 4/3, but with all its faults it was destined to be a failure. Fuji outlets here struggle to sell any at all, they are just too expensive and underwhelming for the money you pay.

-- hide signature --

Love dat Fuji
Fuji HS20EXR
Fuji HS10,

I still can't agree, if you want a one lens system you can't touch the X-S1 with a DSLR. If you take one of the better vacation lenses such as Tamrons relatively new: Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD and look at its recent review you can see what I mean.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/tamron-18-270mm-3p5-6p3-vc-pzd

To sum it up:

Conclusion - Pros
  • Very useful 15x zoom range
  • Good image quality at wideangle
  • Quiet autofocus
  • Reasonably effective image stabilization
  • Compact and lightweight
Conclusion - Cons
  • Rather soft at telephoto, especially wide open
  • Strong distortion across most of the range
  • Chromatic aberration at each end of the zoom (most pronounced at telephoto)
  • Slower autofocus than its peers
-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:

Ralph McKenzie
Senior MemberPosts: 1,685Gear list
Like?

PAUL TILL wrote:

Paul.

And that's why I stated this in the thread I started a day or so ago.

• I've just been comparing the HS50 and the XS-1. Apart from staying with the 1/2 inch sensor it looks like an all new model. In size its fractionally smaller than the XS-1, and slightly lighter weight wise.

It ain't no toy camera no more (at least size wise)

-- hide signature --

Love dat Fuji
Fuji HS20EXR
Fuji HS10,

Ralph McKenzie's gear list:Ralph McKenzie's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR
sttweston
Senior MemberPosts: 1,012
Like?
in limbo

its too much stuck in the middle, there are so many options in its price range, larger sensor or even less $ w/ much larger zooms.  that the only way to make it 'marketable' would be to make it a larger version of the fz200....maybe 24-500mm (may have to cut focal length to get a constant 2.8???) at a constant 2.8, close enough to the fz in focal but would have the operation,evf and the slightly larger sensor, but lens speed comes at such a premium $ with the larger sensor cameras and could could stand out against kits (dslr or m4/3).

just my 1/2cent worth.

Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,462Gear list
Like?

TAGRIFFIN wrote:

It will probably die intestate, like the S100fs, with PAUL still showing us random park pics to compare in 5 years time.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads