Just bought the Sony NEX-6

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions
Braddy11
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Just bought the Sony NEX-6
Jan 10, 2013

Hello..

I have browsed these forums a bit over the last few days.. and intend on doing a lot more now ive made my purchase, so thought i would post for some pointers

I am so newb at photography and cameras it is not funny.. ive only ever used a basic camera. think my last one cost $99 or something?

Anyways.. I am travelling to Vietnam next month, and wanted a camera to take nice pictures while I am there. I always love looking at photos.. but never been all that skilled at it.

For the past 2 weeks, Ive been tossing up between the X-E1 and the NEX-6 (2 weeks ago i was planning on buying a Canon S95?)..

I had been leaning towards the NEX-6, but really liked the style of the X-E1... Anyways.. ended up with the NEX-6, mainly due to the difference in cost (couldnt justify it for style only).. and the cost in lenses too...

Ive got my camera.. now what? I currently only have the 16-50mm kit lens..

1. I would like to take macro pictures.. should I purchase the sont e-mount mACRO LENS?? Any tips on taking macro photos? or even a link to a decent tutorial?

2. I have Photoshop.. and i have (but not installed) Lightroom 4.3? anything else i should look out for?

3. Any additional lens(es) i should pick up before my trip? I think the 16-50mm should be ok for walking around photos? scenery? What about for sitting around eating at a resturant with friends?

[edit]

4. Any general pointers on using this thing?

[/edit]

I just took a look at my new camera and immediately feel i have bitten off more then i can chew.. but i am hoping with time.. i can take some great looking pictures (wouldnt mind some artsy ones too... i do love the brokeh(??) style..

sorry for the long post... im a rambler...

Brad

Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Shiroa
Junior MemberPosts: 46
Like?
Re: Just bought the Sony NEX-6
In reply to Braddy11, Jan 10, 2013

Braddy11 wrote:

Hello..

I have browsed these forums a bit over the last few days.. and intend on doing a lot more now ive made my purchase, so thought i would post for some pointers

I am so newb at photography and cameras it is not funny.. ive only ever used a basic camera. think my last one cost $99 or something?

Anyways.. I am travelling to Vietnam next month, and wanted a camera to take nice pictures while I am there. I always love looking at photos.. but never been all that skilled at it.

For the past 2 weeks, Ive been tossing up between the X-E1 and the NEX-6 (2 weeks ago i was planning on buying a Canon S95?)..

I had been leaning towards the NEX-6, but really liked the style of the X-E1... Anyways.. ended up with the NEX-6, mainly due to the difference in cost (couldnt justify it for style only).. and the cost in lenses too...

Ive got my camera.. now what? I currently only have the 16-50mm kit lens..

1. I would like to take macro pictures.. should I purchase the sont e-mount mACRO LENS?? Any tips on taking macro photos? or even a link to a decent tutorial?

2. I have Photoshop.. and i have (but not installed) Lightroom 4.3? anything else i should look out for?

3. Any additional lens(es) i should pick up before my trip? I think the 16-50mm should be ok for walking around photos? scenery? What about for sitting around eating at a resturant with friends?

[edit]

4. Any general pointers on using this thing?

[/edit]

I just took a look at my new camera and immediately feel i have bitten off more then i can chew.. but i am hoping with time.. i can take some great looking pictures (wouldnt mind some artsy ones too... i do love the brokeh(??) style..

sorry for the long post... im a rambler...

Brad

1. Why not? Sony E 30mm macro lens is quite remarkable and very sharp, but not suitable for taking pictures of small animals since you do have to get very close it tends to scare them away

2. You're good to go, I find myself using picasa and image resizer more

3. 16-50 is good, sitting in a restaurant I cant think of anything better than the Sony E35mm 1.8 OSS

4. Put it on iAuto and you have nothing to worry about, I mostly use Shutter priority with spot metering

You'll get used to the camera overtime

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Braddy11
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
Re: Just bought the Sony NEX-6
In reply to Shiroa, Jan 10, 2013

Should there be any standard settings that i should do to camera when i first get/use it ?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 3,120
Like?
Re: Just bought the Sony NEX-6
In reply to Shiroa, Jan 10, 2013

First and most important advice:
Go out with your camera and use it. Try different odes and see what they do.

About lens choice: well it all depend on the kind of use. For the macro lens, you will find that you do a lot of Manual Focus when doing macro (DOF is very small). The Sony 30mm lens is good for non living objects (living objects like insects will be scared as you have to move to close to take the picture, it will scare them away)

Have fun with your Nex camera (maybe an extra battery is a good investment as you may take a lot  of pictures and that may drain your battery to quick...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
calterg
Regular MemberPosts: 465
Like?
Re: Just bought the Sony NEX-6
In reply to Shiroa, Jan 10, 2013

1. I would like to take macro pictures.. should I purchase the sont e-mount mACRO LENS?? Any tips on taking macro photos? or even a link to a decent tutorial?

Only buy the e-mount 30mm macro if you intend to shoot food or things that don't move. You will not be able to shoot insects, for e.g., because the 30mm macro will have to be about an inch from the insect to get meaningful pictures. Not many insects will sit around for you with your lens an inch from them.

Good for food shots though, even then, I found myself pointed almost into the food for really close-ups.

So this lens is not really recommended. A better macro will be at least 60mm.

2. I have Photoshop.. and i have (but not installed) Lightroom 4.3? anything else i should look out for?

If you shoot raw, you will need to download the lens correction profile for the 16-50mm kit lens.

3. Any additional lens(es) i should pick up before my trip? I think the 16-50mm should be ok for walking around photos? scenery? What about for sitting around eating at a resturant with friends?

16-50 will cover landscapes to portraits. You will need a telephoto zoom when travelling, there are so man situations in a foreign land that do not permit you to "zoom with your feet". This is where the 55-200mm will be useful.

[edit]

4. Any general pointers on using this thing?

Shoot RAW + jpeg, or just RAW if you process all files.

Buy a second battery or a third with an external charger; you just CANNOT last a full day in Vietnam on just one battery; I would seriously buy two extra. In camera charging takes 4 hours, external charging time about two hours, so factor those hours in, otherwise you might leave your hotel with half-charged batteries.

[/edit]

I just took a look at my new camera and immediately feel i have bitten off more then i can chew.. but i am hoping with time.. i can take some great looking pictures (wouldnt mind some artsy ones too... i do love the brokeh(??) style..

The bokeh you saw in the catalogue can only be gotten with the 50mm F1.8, so don't be misled. THe 16-50 will not be so blurred as its aperture is 5.6 at 50mm.

So it's like you will want extra batteries and charger, the 55-200mm zoom, the 50mm f1.8, both together will cost you another Nex-6.

And not too long ago you only used a $99 p&s?

This Vietnam trip is really costing you. Then again, it will be an experience of a lifetime if you have never been there, so bon voyage!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
calterg
Regular MemberPosts: 465
Like?
Re: Just bought the Sony NEX-6
In reply to Braddy11, Jan 10, 2013

Braddy11 wrote:

Should there be any standard settings that i should do to camera when i first get/use it ?

Just two.

1. Press Menu >Setup>scroll to "Color space">select "Adobe RGB".

This will ensure you will maximise the color information when shooting RAW, giving you better jpeg output in Lightroom and Photoshop.

2. Set the diopter for the Electronic View Finder, it's a VERY small scroller on the right side of the viewfinder. Look through the EVF and scroll until the text in the evf is clearest.

All the other buttons you will need time to get used to with your own shooting preferences.

And, READ THE MANUAL.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
demarren 123
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,520Gear list
Like?
Re: Just bought the Sony NEX-6
In reply to Braddy11, Jan 10, 2013

Hello Braddy Iff I was you ,I would start taking pictures in all conditions.

You have the 18-55 so way need another lens.

Iff you just start,learn the camera.Take an easy book Start with photografie or somtinge.

Set the camera in P mode

Set color to vivid and go off.

set LCD to big letters so you see what the camera take for exposure,shutter speed,and iso.

iff you get confused ,set the camera to auto mode,and look at the screen what the camera take.

for settings.there is also an help button.

you can also set the lcd screen to sunny iff you take pictures in bright licht see manuel.

After A while you will find out what lens you realy want.

meaby the 16 mm to take wide pictures or an tele lens.

otherwise you end up with lenses you never use.

Taking pictures is do it your self.

no one can say what you need for lens choises as we do not know what intrerest you have.

Now go out.and good luck.

Braddy11 wrote:

Hello..

I have browsed these forums a bit over the last few days.. and intend on doing a lot more now ive made my purchase, so thought i would post for some pointers

I am so newb at photography and cameras it is not funny.. ive only ever used a basic camera. think my last one cost $99 or something?

Anyways.. I am travelling to Vietnam next month, and wanted a camera to take nice pictures while I am there. I always love looking at photos.. but never been all that skilled at it.

For the past 2 weeks, Ive been tossing up between the X-E1 and the NEX-6 (2 weeks ago i was planning on buying a Canon S95?)..

I had been leaning towards the NEX-6, but really liked the style of the X-E1... Anyways.. ended up with the NEX-6, mainly due to the difference in cost (couldnt justify it for style only).. and the cost in lenses too...

Ive got my camera.. now what? I currently only have the 16-50mm kit lens..

1. I would like to take macro pictures.. should I purchase the sont e-mount mACRO LENS?? Any tips on taking macro photos? or even a link to a decent tutorial?

2. I have Photoshop.. and i have (but not installed) Lightroom 4.3? anything else i should look out for?

3. Any additional lens(es) i should pick up before my trip? I think the 16-50mm should be ok for walking around photos? scenery? What about for sitting around eating at a resturant with friends?

[edit]

4. Any general pointers on using this thing?

[/edit]

I just took a look at my new camera and immediately feel i have bitten off more then i can chew.. but i am hoping with time.. i can take some great looking pictures (wouldnt mind some artsy ones too... i do love the brokeh(??) style..

sorry for the long post... im a rambler...

Brad

-- hide signature --

My english is poor.Try to Understand
Nikon D70s,Nikon D90,LX3,DP-1 Samsung NX100 G11 S95
Sony Nex3
_______________________________________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73737307@N00/sets/
_______________________________________________
Claus M
______

 demarren 123's gear list:demarren 123's gear list
Olympus E-10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Fujifilm X10 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D70s +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
demarren 123
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,520Gear list
Like?
Re: Just bought the Sony NEX-6
In reply to calterg, Jan 10, 2013

calterg wrote:

Braddy11 wrote:

Should there be any standard settings that i should do to camera when i first get/use it ?

Just two.

1. Press Menu >Setup>scroll to "Color space">select "Adobe RGB".

This will ensure you will maximise the color information when shooting RAW, giving you better jpeg output in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Sorry but I would do thad is change the color mode iff the op not even know how to operate his camera.

I recoment to leaf it like the way it is setup.

Ecept iff you realy know what you are doing.

Btw you need an calibrated monitor if you want to work with adobe rgb.

2. Set the diopter for the Electronic View Finder, it's a VERY small scroller on the right side of the viewfinder. Look through the EVF and scroll until the text in the evf is clearest.

All the other buttons you will need time to get used to with your own shooting preferences.

And, READ THE MANUAL.

-- hide signature --

My english is poor.Try to Understand
Nikon D70s,Nikon D90,LX3,DP-1 Samsung NX100 G11 S95
Sony Nex3
_______________________________________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73737307@N00/sets/
_______________________________________________
Claus M
______

 demarren 123's gear list:demarren 123's gear list
Olympus E-10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX100V Fujifilm X10 Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D70s +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
CosmoZooo
Regular MemberPosts: 452
Like?
Re: Just bought the Sony NEX-6
In reply to Braddy11, Jan 10, 2013

I was a noob like you were recently and admittedly I returned my NEX-6 but not because it was a bad camera or I couldn't do well with it, but I felt that it missed a few marks like focus accuracy and touch screen for the money. My goal now is to try a few other mirrorless cameras to really understand what is slow, what is fast, what is sharp and how useful a touch screen really is...it wasn't an easy decision to return the camera because I scored it from Amazon with 55-210 and the kit 16-50 for a grand (website error...)

Personally if I were you going on a trip the 55-210 is the other lens I would want to have, It is not macro but I think the reach can be useful when traveling and because it's telephoto it actually can give pretty nice bokeh. I've seen a number of shots near 200mm range and they look very nice.

But the main advice is: if you do not understand shutter speed, f-stop (aperture) and ISO and how they all relate to each other to give you the exposure you want plus exposure compensation, please read up on it. I got a lot from the forums but I was researching before I bought for a while and then got to better understand of things when I got the camera and researched some more. And I did feel like I bit off more then I could chew but not for long.

Without understanding those functions though you'll be stuck in Auto modes which I found somewhat disappointing especially indoor. If you're going to use Auto a lot at least try the scene modes. Good luck!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
calterg
Regular MemberPosts: 465
Like?
Re: Just bought the Sony NEX-6
In reply to demarren 123, Jan 10, 2013

demarren 123 wrote:

calterg wrote:

Braddy11 wrote:

Should there be any standard settings that i should do to camera when i first get/use it ?

Just two.

1. Press Menu >Setup>scroll to "Color space">select "Adobe RGB".

This will ensure you will maximise the color information when shooting RAW, giving you better jpeg output in Lightroom and Photoshop.

Sorry but I would do thad is change the color mode iff the op not even know how to operate his camera.

I recoment to leaf it like the way it is setup.

Ecept iff you realy know what you are doing.

Btw you need an calibrated monitor if you want to work with adobe rgb.

2. Set the diopter for the Electronic View Finder, it's a VERY small scroller on the right side of the viewfinder. Look through the EVF and scroll until the text in the evf is clearest.

All the other buttons you will need time to get used to with your own shooting preferences.

And, READ THE MANUAL.

-- hide signature --

My english is poor.Try to Understand
Nikon D70s,Nikon D90,LX3,DP-1 Samsung NX100 G11 S95
Sony Nex3
_______________________________________________
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73737307@N00/sets/
_______________________________________________
Claus M
______

If one will only shoot jpeg, then this setting will not be necessary.

If shooting RAW, it will be mandatory as the extra color information in the RAW file will be utilised by photoshop and lighroom to generate better jpeg files.

Monitor calibration is a must these days and easily done with budget Spyder Express 3 and similar calibrators. Otherwise it's a waste spending all that money on good camera gear.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nosnoop
Senior MemberPosts: 1,691
Like?
Re: Just bought the Sony NEX-6
In reply to Braddy11, Jan 10, 2013

Braddy11 wrote:

Anyways.. I am travelling to Vietnam next month

3. Any additional lens(es) i should pick up before my trip? I think the 16-50mm should be ok for walking around photos? scenery? What about for sitting around eating at a resturant with friends?


I would advise you to just go and take a lot of pictures with your camera this month, and get used to the operation.

Forget about buying anything else at this point.  It's not a good idea to start buying lenses when you are not sure about what you want.   Start using the camera and you will find out if you need new lenses or not.   Your 16-50mm is a very good zoom range for traveling and general purpose photography (it is sold with the camera as a bundled lens for a reason).  And it may be all you need.

Shiroa wrote:

> 3. 16-50 is good, sitting in a restaurant I cant think of anything better than the Sony E35mm 1.8 >OSS

Even though 35mm 1.8 would perform very well in low light, the focal length is only good for portraits, and not useful for group photos.

calterg wrote:
>1. Press Menu >Setup>scroll to "Color space">select "Adobe RGB".
>This will ensure you will maximise the color information when shooting RAW, giving you better jpeg >output in Lightroom and Photoshop.

I don't think you should bother with this.

Unless you know what you are doing, and know how to change the color space of the output appropriate to your viewing device/software, it would cause more grief than benefit.   Color space handling by various browsers and software is all over the place, and the same applies to hardware like tablets, smart phone, monitors.   If it is not handled properly, the color would appear off.

For new users, it is MUCH better to stick with sRGB.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
nosnoop
Senior MemberPosts: 1,691
Like?
Re: Just bought the Sony NEX-6
In reply to calterg, Jan 10, 2013

calterg wrote:

If shooting RAW, it will be mandatory as the extra color information in the RAW file will be utilised by photoshop and lighroom to generate better jpeg files.

Monitor calibration is a must these days and easily done with budget Spyder Express 3 and similar calibrators. Otherwise it's a waste spending all that money on good camera gear.

What you said is correct, but just not the first thing that a new user need to worry about.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
windowsmaclinux
Regular MemberPosts: 249
Like?
Re: Just bought the Sony NEX-6
In reply to calterg, Jan 10, 2013

You don't have to set color space for RAW files because RAW files don't contain colorspace info. I think it only applies to JPEGs so if you have RAW files you can get sRGB jpegs now and go back and output AdobeRGB jpegs later.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
calterg
Regular MemberPosts: 465
Like?
Re: Just bought the Sony NEX-6
In reply to windowsmaclinux, Jan 10, 2013

windowsmaclinux wrote:

You don't have to set color space for RAW files because RAW files don't contain colorspace info. I think it only applies to JPEGs so if you have RAW files you can get sRGB jpegs now and go back and output AdobeRGB jpegs later.

I stand corrected. Shooting adobergb jpegs will enable better print output on high end printers but will not be suitable for lower end printers and internet display which will benefit from srgb jpegs.

So better to shoot raw and output jpegs for your output requirements.

Today you are an amateur, only too soon you will become an enthusiast, then you will value the raw files you shot.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
yourundoing
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Re: Just bought the Sony NEX-6
In reply to calterg, Jan 10, 2013

leave it in iAuto and concentrate on subject matter and composure imo

'A' mode if you want to have a bit of a play

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MrTaikitso
Contributing MemberPosts: 676Gear list
Like?
Re: Just bought the Sony NEX-6
In reply to CosmoZooo, Jan 10, 2013

And the best way to learn about fstops and shutter speed is to put your camera on full Auto and keep an eye on the readout to see what the camera chooses, in particular if the shots turn out how you wanted. And of course, check the EXIF data on ANY photos you see and like, from any photographer.

I've just got a 5N (open box so a good deal, else I would have got a 6, but I needed a flip forward screen, so don't mind missing the MODE dial and flash).

 MrTaikitso's gear list:MrTaikitso's gear list
Samsung EX2F +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kaku
Contributing MemberPosts: 612
Like?
Re: Just bought the Sony NEX-6
In reply to Braddy11, Jan 10, 2013

Pick up a book as a learning guide.  Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson helped me immensely with learning the basics.  It's a full, illustrated book with easy explanations and he backs it up with bunches of photos.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kaku
Contributing MemberPosts: 612
Like?
Re: Just bought the Sony NEX-6
In reply to MrTaikitso, Jan 10, 2013

MrTaikitso wrote:

And the best way to learn about fstops and shutter speed is to put your camera on full Auto and keep an eye on the readout to see what the camera chooses, in particular if the shots turn out how you wanted. And of course, check the EXIF data on ANY photos you see and like, from any photographer.


While I agree that he should go out and shoot for experience, he really should learn the basics and "triangle" of exposure first before delving into the EXIF information.  Without knowing the "triangle" he'll inevitably be lost.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?
Keep it Simple But Flexible
In reply to Braddy11, Jan 10, 2013

IMO, keep it simple to begin with but flexible. Even if you don’t care for RAW files right now, I would advise to use RAW+JPEG mode. Back up RAW for a later date you might want to re-visit and develop the images better than your camera’s JPEG engine can.

Among other major settings, I prefer:

-Set high ISO NR to weak or off (whichever is available)

-Long Exposure NR to off

-Turn “smile/face detection” off unless you feel a need for it

I also, mostly, shoot with local or spot focusing (as opposed to wide), generally keeping it in AF-S mode. I use AF-C only when shooting action, to track.

As far as additional lenses/accessories go, what is your budget? Do you want to enjoy the pleasures of manual focusing? If you want to get into macro, getting Sony LA-EA1 adapter will be a great idea. It will pay for itself (as would LA-EA2 as well but preferable if you want to spend more initially and want DSLR-like auto-focusing). Although, for macro, you have plenty of inexpensive options from just about any mount. And of course, MF is very inviting with your camera featuring Focus Peaking.

-- hide signature --

Sony A55, Sony NEX-3, Sony F828

 EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
fotowbert
Senior MemberPosts: 1,335Gear list
Like?
Charger/spare batteries link
In reply to calterg, Jan 10, 2013

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-Charger-SLT-A55V/dp/B0049WBZEK

is ofter recommended on this forum.    John 

 fotowbert's gear list:fotowbert's gear list
Canon PowerShot A20 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8 Canon PowerShot S95 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads