Any portable device to read the SD card by my iPad 3? Or transfer?

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Questions
mossymn
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Any portable device to read the SD card by my iPad 3? Or transfer?
Jan 10, 2013

I am looking for an device that can read the SD card or external hdd by my ipad 3. My ipad 3 is only 32G, which is totally not enough, so many apps, movies, and pictures.

Any suggestions? Maybe wireless, I guess?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,329Gear list
Like?
Re: Any portable device to read the SD card by my iPad 3? Or transfer?
In reply to mossymn, Jan 10, 2013

Apple makes a Camera Connection Kit that comes with an SD card reader, that's what you want.  It will also allow you to download directly from the camera to the iPad through the usb port of the camera.  It is not possible to connect an external HD to an iPad.

Mark

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,460
Like?
In reply to Mark B., Jan 10, 2013

Mark B. wrote:

Apple makes a Camera Connection Kit that comes with an SD card reader, that's what you want. It will also allow you to download directly from the camera to the iPad through the usb port of the camera. It is not possible to connect an external HD to an iPad.

Is it not possible to use one of those 'single type' card readers for SD, the size and configuration of a USB stick.... that is, very compact with no wires? You just stick it in a computer USB socket like any other USB stick and transfer what's on the card. After that you can store it where you will.

It may even be possible to do it without a computer at all. Portable hard drives powered by batteries used to be available for "decanting" full camera cards to in the field... (Image Bank is a name that comes to mind). These devices became less necessary as card capacity became huge, but perhaps they are still around... [??]

On the other hand, SD cards are really titchy things to store for permanant archiving, so you could just as easily carry them in a wallet with the iPad, and swap to the card in question as and when you need to... (or is there something I'm not getting,. here?)

Returning to the 'single type' kind of card reader, I find these little gizmos really handy for file tranfer... typically used for holding pictures and music for display on a modern TV, and/or a Hi-Fi having USB capability. This is not different to an ordinary thumb drive, but more flexible/expandable in capacity.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

Peter KY
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
In reply to mossymn, Jan 10, 2013

I found a interesting product named " Wifi disk"  on amazon that can used to read and transfer the data on SD card and USB external HDD by tablet and smartphone through WiFi.

http://www.amazon.com/RAVPower%C2%AE-Wireless-RP-WD01-Smartphones-Smartphone/dp/B00AQUMZRA/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1357829362&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=rp-wd01

RobG67
Contributing MemberPosts: 818Gear list
Like?
In reply to Barrie Davis, Jan 10, 2013

AFAIK, none of the above are possible with an iPad (or any iThing). To the best of my knowledge, iThings have no USB ports, don't like communicating with non-iThings via wi-fi, and positively refuse to have anything to do with any of the useful Bluetooth protocols. Which is why I bought an Android tablet, and will buy an Android phone when I manage to kill my iPhone4. (Soon, my pretty, soon...)

There are a few aftermarket dongles for iThings, but mostly, it's genuine Apple bits with all their attendant restrictions...

-- hide signature --

Rob.
It's no longer about the gear; all of it's good, and most is better than our skills warrant. Go and learn the craft, learn to see the art, and make fewer, better, photographs.
Seriously, it's NOT about the gear any more.

Mark B.
Like?
In reply to Barrie Davis, Jan 10, 2013

Barrie Davis wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Apple makes a Camera Connection Kit that comes with an SD card reader, that's what you want. It will also allow you to download directly from the camera to the iPad through the usb port of the camera. It is not possible to connect an external HD to an iPad.

Is it not possible to use one of those 'single type' card readers for SD, the size and configuration of a USB stick.... that is, very compact with no wires? You just stick it in a computer USB socket like any other USB stick and transfer what's on the card. After that you can store it where you will.

Apparently not;  iPads do not have a USB port, so anything that  interfaces with it needs to connect through the single universal connector.  The Apple connection kit takes care of that for SD cards and for direct connection to a camera with a USB port.

It may even be possible to do it without a computer at all. Portable hard drives powered by batteries used to be available for "decanting" full camera cards to in the field... (Image Bank is a name that comes to mind). These devices became less necessary as card capacity became huge, but perhaps they are still around... [??]

Yes, there are still plenty of portable storage devices on the market; they have a couple advantages over an iPad or other tablet - they have a much greater capacity, and can read multiple card types.

Mark

lumigraphics
Senior MemberPosts: 1,187
Like?
In reply to mossymn, Jan 11, 2013

The Camera Connector Kit works. On my iPad 2, I have two card readers that work off the USB connector, or I can plug my cameras (CF cards so the SD reader is useless) in directly.

There are also numerous utility apps that allow connection and file transfer to other devices. Ignore the nonsense about Android, that's off-topic.

NetMage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,384Gear list
Like?
In reply to mossymn, Jan 11, 2013

The bad grammer in your sentence makes it hard to figure out what you are asking exactly, but:

If you are trying to transfer information from a hard drive or sd card to the iPad's internal storage, you can use the Camera Connection kit or a third party equivalent to read from flash cards but only still images or short movies stored in a DCIM folder. It is really intended for loading camera media files.

If you want to add external storage to your iPad that you can use like internal storage, you can't.

If you are willing to live with certain restrictions, then you need to choose what restrictions are acceptable. Some hdd units have a wireless server mode, and support streaming to the iPad over one of the protocols it handles, or by installation of a supporting app. Items like AirStash provide a web server for the installed SD card so you can browse the content from the iPad. Apple provides iCloud for storage of iMatch music or iTunes media that can be accessed and then played over wireless. Amazon recently announced AutoRip, which gives their cloud player a digital copy of CDs you've purchased from them, which you can play from their iPad app. Finally, you can use something like AudioGalaxy to server your home content to your iPad where ever you are.

-- hide signature --

-- Please remove the Quote option!
-- How about switching to real forum software?

NetMage's gear list:NetMage's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Sigma DP1x Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 +13 more
Barrie Davis
Like?
In reply to Mark B., Jan 12, 2013

Mark B. wrote:

Barrie Davis wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Apparently not; iPads do not have a USB port, so anything that interfaces with it needs to connect through the single universal connector. The Apple connection kit takes care of that for SD cards and for direct connection to a camera with a USB port.

My understanding is that the OP was asking for something portable to read an SD card. Whether or not the iPad has a USB port is academic. It wasn't a matter of transferring the data into the iPad. It was amatter of storing the data OFF the iPad.... (that's if my understanding is correct.)

Yes, there are still plenty of portable storage devices on the market; they have a couple advantages over an iPad or other tablet - they have a much greater capacity, and can read multiple card types.

Mark

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz

Mark B.
Like?
In reply to Barrie Davis, Jan 12, 2013

Barrie Davis wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Barrie Davis wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Apparently not; iPads do not have a USB port, so anything that interfaces with it needs to connect through the single universal connector. The Apple connection kit takes care of that for SD cards and for direct connection to a camera with a USB port.

My understanding is that the OP was asking for something portable to read an SD card. Whether or not the iPad has a USB port is academic. It wasn't a matter of transferring the data into the iPad. It was amatter of storing the data OFF the iPad.... (that's if my understanding is correct.)

I mentioned the USB port because you asked about using a generic USB reader, which is not possible.

I'm certain the data transfer is one way only - that is, only from the SD card or camera TO the iPod. Transferring images off requires something more like connecting to a laptop or desktop with iTunes.

Mark

patmac3
Like?

I am using Airstash a wireless device which looks a little like a USB Stick on steroids. You charge it up and insert a SD card and then connect it's wireless signal to your iPad (or iPod,or any other device) and you can stream your photos over to the iPad. It will also allow you to play music and watch films downloaded onto the SD card.

As it uses its own wireless signal you can use it anywhere and review your photos on the hoof

Mark B.
Like?
In reply to patmac3, Jan 12, 2013

patmac3 wrote:

I am using Airstash a wireless device which looks a little like a USB Stick on steroids. You charge it up and insert a SD card and then connect it's wireless signal to your iPad (or iPod,or any other device) and you can stream your photos over to the iPad. It will also allow you to play music and watch films downloaded onto the SD card.

As it uses its own wireless signal you can use it anywhere and review your photos on the hoof

As Barrie mentioned, it seems the OP is looking for something portable that can read photos from the iPad.  Can the Airstash do that?

Barrie Davis
Like?
In fairness....

Mark B. wrote:

patmac3 wrote:

As Barrie mentioned, it seems the OP is looking for something portable that can read photos from the iPad. Can the Airstash do that?

Hmmm....

The Orignal Poster has not yet reappeared to clear this up. It's probably best to cool it until he does us the favour of clarifying what he IS trying to do.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz

patmac3
Like?

Hi, yes the Air stash will export photos to the SD card - I've just tried it on an iPod touch so I am sure it is possible from an iPad

Pat

threeOh
Regular MemberPosts: 325
Like?
In reply to patmac3, Jan 13, 2013

patmac3 wrote:

Hi, yes the Air stash will export photos to the SD card - I've just tried it on an iPod touch so I am sure it is possible from an iPad

Pat

Can it transfer raw files from the iDevice to the AirStash?  Presumably on a photo forum, raw is important.

mossymn
Like?
Re: In fairness....
In reply to Barrie Davis, Jan 16, 2013

Barrie Davis wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

patmac3 wrote:

As Barrie mentioned, it seems the OP is looking for something portable that can read photos from the iPad. Can the Airstash do that?

Hmmm....

The Orignal Poster has not yet reappeared to clear this up. It's probably best to cool it until he does us the favour of clarifying what he IS trying to do.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz

Yes, Airstash can used to stream the photos on SD card over to the photo by wireless signal, like Wi-Fi. However, it can only read when there is wireless signal, Right? Can the data be transfered from SD card to ipad by Airstash? Thank you!

gwlaw99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,111
Like?
In reply to mossymn, Jan 16, 2013

You can put the Drop Box app on your ipad and upload all the images to drop box over wifi (or 3g/4g if you have it).

mossymn
Like?
In reply to gwlaw99, Jan 17, 2013

gwlaw99 wrote:

You can put the Drop Box app on your ipad and upload all the images to drop box over wifi (or 3g/4g if you have it).

Thank you. That can be a solution. However, i have to copy the images on SD card to iPad first, then upload to Drop box. Now, i have to solve the first problem, how to copy the image from the SD card to iPad with any APP or external portable device?

mossymn
Like?
In reply to Peter KY, Jan 17, 2013

Peter KY wrote:

I found a interesting product named " Wifi disk" on amazon that can used to read and transfer the data on SD card and USB external HDD by tablet and smartphone through WiFi.

http://www.amazon.com/RAVPower%C2%AE-Wireless-RP-WD01-Smartphones-Smartphone/dp/B00AQUMZRA/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1357829362&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=rp-wd01

This "wifi disk" should be the one i am looking for. Have you used this device already? Tks.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads