What is your most desired firmware improvement for the E-M5?

Started Jan 9, 2013 | Discussions
raven900sx
Regular MemberPosts: 430
Like?
Re: What is your most desired firmware improvement for the E-M5
In reply to dotborg, Jan 11, 2013

i would have to say that split image focus on the new fuji would be mighty nice on the om-d

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Angry Panda
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
Re: focus point visible during video
In reply to ohmydentist, Jan 11, 2013

ohmydentist wrote:

so I know where the hell the focus is on . . . . ^^

-- hide signature --

^__^
Just Shoot !

Agreed!  And the ability to touch to refocus during video.  I also have the E-PL5, and it can do this.  Not sure why they left it out of the OMD.

highwave
Senior MemberPosts: 1,041Gear list
Like?
Re: What is your most desired firmware improvement for the E-M5?
In reply to dotborg, Jan 11, 2013

I guess I'm a minority in this option but for whatever it's worth,

Ability to assign ISO to one of the two dials.

I know you can use the right direction button for changing ISO but it's no where near as handy as assigning it to a dial. That's such a huge upset for me when I bought the camera that I almost returned it. I'd rather control ISO than exposure. It seems it's easier to fix wrong exposure in post than it is to reduce unnecessary noise due to too high an auto ISO setting. I mean the whole point of IBIS on primes is to bring down the ISO to ridiculously slow shutter speeds. ISO control on the OM-D as it is now is downright annoying.

highwave's gear list:highwave's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
Swingline
Contributing MemberPosts: 709Gear list
Like?
Re: The E-PL5 and MySets on the Mode dial.
In reply to Guy Parsons, Jan 16, 2013

Thanks Guy.  I set up Myset2 for high speed continuous bracketing in A mode and I was able to assign iAuto on the mode dial to Myset2.  Sure enough it goes into A mode etc.

Swingline's gear list:Swingline's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +10 more
richarddd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,919Gear list
Like?
In reply to highwave, Jan 16, 2013

highwave wrote:

I know you can use the right direction button for changing ISO but it's no where near as handy as assigning it to a dial. That's such a huge upset for me when I bought the camera that I almost returned it. I'd rather control ISO than exposure. It seems it's easier to fix wrong exposure in post than it is to reduce unnecessary noise due to too high an auto ISO setting. I mean the whole point of IBIS on primes is to bring down the ISO to ridiculously slow shutter speeds. ISO control on the OM-D as it is now is downright annoying.

You can assign Fn2 to ISO, then push Fn2 and turn a dial

What's your preferred method for setting shutter speed, aperture and ISO?  For image quality purposes, you want the most exposure (light on the sensor) consistent with desired motion blur and DOF, so long as you're not clipping.  Increasing ISO on the E-M5 doesn't increase noise, other than indirectly by reducing exposure (increasing ISO does reduce dynamic range).

richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +3 more
Morpho Hunter
Contributing MemberPosts: 560Gear list
Like?
This ...only been waiting since 2008 ...there's no rush Olympus ...in your own time like.
In reply to dotborg, Jan 16, 2013
Swingline
Contributing MemberPosts: 709Gear list
Like?
What about delete last bracket.
In reply to dotborg, Jan 16, 2013

Let's say you didn't frame the last 5 bracketed shots correctly, it would use the number in the bracket option to do a delete.

Swingline's gear list:Swingline's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +10 more
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 19,234Gear list
Like?
Re: The E-PL5 and MySets on the Mode dial.
In reply to Swingline, Jan 16, 2013

Swingline wrote:

Thanks Guy. I set up Myset2 for high speed continuous bracketing in A mode and I was able to assign iAuto on the mode dial to Myset2. Sure enough it goes into A mode etc.

Hopefully I get my E-PL5 today to explore the MySet possibilities, and that MySet/Mode dial thing suddenly makes MySets usable in Olympus.

My totally unused positions are iAuto and Art and Scn so they can become something else. Or just make the 4 PASM spots into just what I want them to be when I turn on, or turn the dial to them.

A total pain that they haven't updated the E-M5 firmware to include that.

There are some nice additions to the E-PL5 that indicate where the next OM-D model is headed. The so called Lite versions of the Pen are often the best as they try out new ideas.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +17 more
highwave
Like?
In reply to richarddd, Jan 18, 2013

richarddd wrote:

highwave wrote:

I know you can use the right direction button for changing ISO but it's no where near as handy as assigning it to a dial. That's such a huge upset for me when I bought the camera that I almost returned it. I'd rather control ISO than exposure. It seems it's easier to fix wrong exposure in post than it is to reduce unnecessary noise due to too high an auto ISO setting. I mean the whole point of IBIS on primes is to bring down the ISO to ridiculously slow shutter speeds. ISO control on the OM-D as it is now is downright annoying.

What's your preferred method for setting shutter speed, aperture and ISO? For image quality purposes, you want the most exposure (light on the sensor) consistent with desired motion blur and DOF, so long as you're not clipping. Increasing ISO on the E-M5 doesn't increase noise, other than indirectly by reducing exposure (increasing ISO does reduce dynamic range).

that's not a very practical solution

I tried assigning the ISO setting to a button (like Fn2 or the right direction button). If you do that you would have to readjust your grip of the camera every time you want to change the ISO.  You wouldn't have to do that if you had the ISO assigned to a dial. And even if you didn't have to readjust your grip, I still don't see why they can't give the user the choice of assigning ISO to a dial. ISO setting is a major one that does deserve its place along with exposure, aperture, and shutter control.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
richarddd
Senior MemberPosts: 2,919Gear list
Like?
In reply to highwave, Jan 19, 2013

highwave wrote:

richarddd wrote:

highwave wrote:

What's your preferred method for setting shutter speed, aperture and ISO? For image quality purposes, you want the most exposure (light on the sensor) consistent with desired motion blur and DOF, so long as you're not clipping. Increasing ISO on the E-M5 doesn't increase noise, other than indirectly by reducing exposure (increasing ISO does reduce dynamic range).

I tried assigning the ISO setting to a button (like Fn2 or the right direction button). If you do that you would have to readjust your grip of the camera every time you want to change the ISO. You wouldn't have to do that if you had the ISO assigned to a dial. And even if you didn't have to readjust your grip, I still don't see why they can't give the user the choice of assigning ISO to a dial. ISO setting is a major one that does deserve its place along with exposure, aperture, and shutter control.

Fn2 is slightly to the right of the shutter release. Moving your finger a fraction of an inch to the right isn't very hard and neither is pressing Fn2. Then just turn the dial.  Why would have to to adjust your grip?

I have no idea why they didn't allow users to assign ISO to a dial, perhaps they didn't see much demand for it.

richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +3 more
GAitken
Regular MemberPosts: 212Gear list
Like?
Ability to set the amount of magnification for manual focus
In reply to dotborg, Jan 19, 2013

Currently it always does 10x.

That's fine if you're on a tripod, but close to impossible with a long lens hand-held or braced.  In that case I'd like something like 2x, 3x, or 5x, depending on the situation.

GAitken's gear list:GAitken's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Leica Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +3 more
highwave
Like?
In reply to richarddd, Jan 20, 2013

richarddd wrote:

highwave wrote:

richarddd wrote:

highwave wrote:

I tried assigning the ISO setting to a button (like Fn2 or the right direction button). If you do that you would have to readjust your grip of the camera every time you want to change the ISO. You wouldn't have to do that if you had the ISO assigned to a dial. And even if you didn't have to readjust your grip, I still don't see why they can't give the user the choice of assigning ISO to a dial. ISO setting is a major one that does deserve its place along with exposure, aperture, and shutter control.

Fn2 is slightly to the right of the shutter release. Moving your finger a fraction of an inch to the right isn't very hard and neither is pressing Fn2. Then just turn the dial. Why would have to to adjust your grip?

I have no idea why they didn't allow users to assign ISO to a dial, perhaps they didn't see much demand for it.

I keep the button pressed while spinning the dial. I find that quicker for changing ISO. After you release the button the ISO mini-menu disappears. These mini-menus annoy me and I conceive them generally to be slow and ergonomically stupid. I would be very frustrated if I had to change aperture and exposure using these mini-menus. After all, don't we pay extra for all these dials and buttons for better ergonomics? why then limit us by software?

I have no idea how many would prefer to add the ISO adjustment to a dial. However I don't see why they couldn't do that. It would be a very quick and easy firmware change. So what if they would be catering for a very small minority of photographers if so?

wildlifr
Contributing MemberPosts: 897Gear list
Like?
Re: Ability to set the amount of magnification for manual focus
In reply to GAitken, Jan 20, 2013

GAitken wrote:

Currently it always does 10x.

That's fine if you're on a tripod, but close to impossible with a long lens hand-held or braced. In that case I'd like something like 2x, 3x, or 5x, depending on the situation.

5x,7x,10x, and 14x are already available

wildlifr's gear list:wildlifr's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads