It's time to abandon PhotoShop

Started Jan 9, 2013 | Discussions
KRR
KRR
Regular MemberPosts: 110
Like?
The Photoshop Dance
In reply to EricWN, Jan 31, 2013

I was not aware that I needed your approval of my topics and opinions. I come to this forum for contrary opinions and light-hearted conversation. So, I do not understand why so many here have some combative need to correct and put down people that have contrary opinions. I thought my entry was civil and insightful. Please explain why you take the time to confront someone with a new point-of-view? Why can't you let it ride? Why fight with a total stranger? Why does my opinion threaten you? Who died and left you in charge of protecting the Photoshop brand?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
EricWN
Contributing MemberPosts: 694
Like?
Re: The Photoshop Dance
In reply to KRR, Jan 31, 2013

What is so difficult with staying on topic? Is that too much to ask that you, if you feel the need to educate people with your thoughts, put them in a threat where they belong?

JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 30,542
Like?
Re: It's time to abandon PhotoShop
In reply to Chester S Parks, Jan 31, 2013

Chester S Parks wrote:

Every since Adobe came out with LightRoom, I have using it and it along with DxO. These have now become my main photo cataloging and photo optimizing tools. I find that I want to use PhotoShop about once every month or so. As a result, I have held off paying Adobe's high upgrade prices for PS and reduced my upgrade cycle to every other version. Since CS4 is getting a little behind now, I need to think about what I'm going to do.

Now that Adobe has decided to go to the monthly rental fee and eliminated upgrades, I am reluctant to part with that much money for occasional use.

My computers are all APPLE and running the latest OS X 10.8. Can anyone recommend an alternate more economical editor that will do layers and "near PS" capabilities?

I agree, if you use PS about once a month you certainly don't need it. For me it is my main work tool and is worth every penny. I don't suppose you need a submarine either!

Doug R
Senior MemberPosts: 1,468
Like?
In reply to JulesJ, Jan 31, 2013

I don't need a submarine but it would be soooo cool !

-- hide signature --

Doug

Fog Maker
Contributing MemberPosts: 989
Like?
In reply to Doug R, Feb 6, 2013

Doug R wrote:

-- hide signature --

Doug

D*mn,

now I want one as well.

JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 30,542
Like?
In reply to Fog Maker, Feb 6, 2013

Fog Maker wrote:

Doug R wrote:

-- hide signature --

Doug

D*mn,

now I want one as well.

They come in yellow!

Alpha Doug
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,011Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chester S Parks, Feb 7, 2013

Along with looking for a Photoshop substitute, it might be worthwhile to look at plugins that work with Aperture or Lightroom (rant alert!!! - Why does Lightroom spray plugins all over the interface (3 different, separate places when Aperture manages to put them all in one easy to use place? rant over!!!).

A lot of what we used to do in Adjustment Layers is now done with non-destructive adjustments that are "painted in" in Aperture or Lightroom.  Just as with Adjustment layers the "mask" can be adjusted in or out.  There are "effects" plugins from companies like nik, Topaz, OnOne, etc.  There are specialized HDR plugins from several different companies that work better than Photoshop.  I get along just fine with Aperture and a selection of specialized plugins.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-} www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
Alpha Doug
Like?
Re: The Photoshop Dance
In reply to KRR, Feb 7, 2013

KRR wrote:

I was not aware that I needed your approval of my topics and opinions. I come to this forum for contrary opinions and light-hearted conversation. So, I do not understand why so many here have some combative need to correct and put down people that have contrary opinions. I thought my entry was civil and insightful. Please explain why you take the time to confront someone with a new point-of-view? Why can't you let it ride? Why fight with a total stranger? Why does my opinion threaten you? Who died and left you in charge of protecting the Photoshop brand?

This from the guy who in another thread states that he has never had a digital camera, and doesn't know what to buy because those terrible companies "rush them to market" before they are ready.  If you have come here for opinions and conversation, fine.  But read up a little, get a little experience doing what you are talking about.  Right now, you are talking through your hat.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-} www.dougwigton.com/

Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
wklee
Senior MemberPosts: 2,583
Like?
What about Nik Software?
In reply to Chester S Parks, Feb 7, 2013

I believe that some Nik Software products can work in stand alone mode and not simply as a plugin to Photoshop, Lightroom and Aperture.

-- hide signature --

Never buy version 1.0 of anything.

KewlEugene
Regular MemberPosts: 306
Like?
In reply to Chester S Parks, Feb 9, 2013

in which other product is there as flexible a tool as photoshop "actions"?

i like it's ability to check a box to stop at a certain step

the uncheck it

and run completely through

Leon Wittwer
Forum ProPosts: 12,700
Like?
In reply to KewlEugene, Feb 9, 2013

Yes, actions are a very powerful tool.  I have quite a number of actions that I have written that automate or, at least, assist in much of my processing.

bpdougd
Regular MemberPosts: 226
Like?

Chester S Parks wrote:

Every since Adobe came out with LightRoom, I have using it and it along with DxO. These have now become my main photo cataloging and photo optimizing tools. I find that I want to use PhotoShop about once every month or so. As a result, I have held off paying Adobe's high upgrade prices for PS and reduced my upgrade cycle to every other version. Since CS4 is getting a little behind now, I need to think about what I'm going to do.

Now that Adobe has decided to go to the monthly rental fee and eliminated upgrades, I am reluctant to part with that much money for occasional use.

My computers are all APPLE and running the latest OS X 10.8. Can anyone recommend an alternate more economical editor that will do layers and "near PS" capabilities?

Well, to be accurate, Adobe has not "eliminated upgrades". They have pulled in how far back (in versions) you can go to get the upgrade price and they are pushing their subscription model pretty hard, though.

I absolutely depend upon Photoshop, not so much for my current photography but for repairing and retouching old photos. While I use many tools for this, Photoshop is the one, core, essential tool.

For photographs I take, I could probably get along nicely with Lightroom and, perhaps, Elements.

-- hide signature --

Doug Dickerson www.codougd.smugmug.com

afterburn
Contributing MemberPosts: 682Gear list
Like?
Pixelmater

You can have a look at Pixelmator. It is not as full featured as Photoshop (not surprising as it costs a fraction @ $15), but it is getting better with every update and it works the same as Photoshop, including keyboard shortcuts.

-- hide signature --

Gijs from The Netherlands
Nikon D800

afterburn's gear list:afterburn's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Apple Aperture +2 more
KewlEugene
Regular MemberPosts: 306
Like?
In reply to Leon Wittwer, Feb 9, 2013

Leon Wittwer wrote:

Yes, actions are a very powerful tool. I have quite a number of actions that I have written that automate or, at least, assist in much of my processing.

for editorial gigs I check off/on individual action operations/steps to do quick adjustments to 20-100 JPG files within a few hours and file by deadline

is there anything other than photoshop which has the ability that sort of flexibility?

if so ill try it bc my ps is a very old version

arry_girl
Regular MemberPosts: 202Gear list
Like?
Re: Pixelmater
In reply to afterburn, Feb 18, 2013

afterburn wrote:

You can have a look at Pixelmator. It is not as full featured as Photoshop (not surprising as it costs a fraction @ $15), but it is getting better with every update and it works the same as Photoshop, including keyboard shortcuts.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D800

A quick note about Pixelmator as I was looking into purchasing it....

If you have ML 10.8.2 installed and have a NVIDIA GeForce graphics card driver, then it won't work:

"The following Macs with NVIDIA GeForce graphics cards are currently affected: GT 120, GT 320M, GT 330M, 9400M, and GT 9600."

My config falls under those listed so I was more than a tad bummed.  But I do have CS6 so really don't have to buy Pixelmator.

Here is Pixelmator's link about the problem:

Pixelmator report about NVIDIA GeForce incompatability

arry_girl's gear list:arry_girl's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
MrMojo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,144
Like?
Re: Pixelmater
In reply to arry_girl, Feb 18, 2013

When I have checked out Pixelmator at the App Store what I see are a lot of negative reviews about myriad problems with the software. Even when it has been on sale for $15 it hasn't seemed like much of a bargain to me...

Jerry Pruce
Contributing MemberPosts: 713
Like?
In reply to danieljcox, Feb 18, 2013

Hows Pixelmator integrate with Lightroom?

afterburn
Contributing MemberPosts: 682Gear list
Like?
Re: An Intriguing Take On Elements 11... And Elements+ Is Worth A Close Look
In reply to CarlC, Feb 18, 2013

CarlC wrote:

MrMojo wrote:

http://www.mattk.com/2012/09/26/why-photoshop-elements-11-is-the-best-version-of-elements-yet/

For $12 Elements+ unlocks a slew of CS6 functions hidden in Elements 11.

I decided to forgo upgrading to CS6 from CS3. Aperture, NX2, Topaz plugins and now Elements 11 with Elements+ does everything that I need.

I've used Photoshop since PS4 and I have never needed the pre-press and other functions that aren't available in the software that I listed. It was a photographic revelation when I discovered Nik Control Point technology. For the first time I could do edits in under a minute that previously required layers and masks as well as significantly more skill and knowledge to accomplish.

I enjoy making pictures, not futzing around on my computer. We photographers are truly blessed to have so many reasonably priced image editing options in 2013. Adobe should be worried... very worried.

Thank you for the post and this reply... LR4 is here to stay for me but I am questioning going to CS6 from CS3 which means a complete purchase not an upgrade or Elements. I want something that is integrated to LR. I which elements had HDR which I do not do now but it looks like it is is pretty good.

-- hide signature --

Elements 11 does have HDR (combining multiple exposures). It doesn't do tonemapping though.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D800

afterburn's gear list:afterburn's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Apple Aperture +2 more
kevinparis
Contributing MemberPosts: 566
Like?
In reply to KewlEugene, Feb 18, 2013

both LR and Aperture allow you to 'lift' all the adjustments from one image and apply them to a whole bunch of images very quickly. This may or may not be the equivalent of your actions. The added advantage is because of the non destructive  nature of LR/Aperture each of the adjustments are individually tweakable for each image.

The speed of the LR/Aperture workflow can be quite amazing... I use Aperture and I often import 500 RAW files, review, cull down to 50 selects, process, and publish on flickr in under 2 hours

K

-- hide signature --

if you really must see my photos then try
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinparis2007/

Alpha Doug
Like?
In reply to kevinparis, Feb 18, 2013

kevinparis wrote:

both LR and Aperture allow you to 'lift' all the adjustments from one image and apply them to a whole bunch of images very quickly. This may or may not be the equivalent of your actions. The added advantage is because of the non destructive nature of LR/Aperture each of the adjustments are individually tweakable for each image

You can also save a set of "adjustments" as a "preset" which can be applied to one, a bunch, or every image your import or process.  In Photoshop, Actions are pretty much to automate things you might do beyond basic adjustments.  They are a way to store a workflow, and even stop from time to time to do custom things like draw a mask.  That type of processing is only available in a program like Photoshop.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads