Like?
An Interesting Article
Jan 8, 2013
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,121Gear list
Like?
More of the same speculation
In reply to Doctor Lecter, Jan 8, 2013

It's more of the same guessing game and wishful thinking that we read last week in DSLR Magazine and Quesabesde. This blogger is hoping for a DSLR but assumes the following:

"Olympus promises to release a camera of some kind that will properly focus the standard 4/3 lenses… but many of us are holding onto the idea of a true DSLR with an optical viewfinder. It’s more likely that the next model will be a “Pro-OM-D,” a micro-4/3 mirrorless camera system that can focus both m4/3 and standard 4/3 lenses. If so, I’m fine with that. As long as Olympus doesn’t ditch the people who have spent money on their truly stellar 4/3 lenses."

Olympus isn't likely to upgrade the OMD a short time after the EM-5 was released. It would end sales of the EM-5 which Olympus has spent considerable time and money developing and marketing.

It's more likely to be a replacement or upgrade to the E-5 which is now 2 years old and, according to many people here, uses an even older sensor. It's more likely to focus by PDAF with a mirror than focus ZD 4/3 lenses on the sensor. People are clamoring for a new Olympus DSLR. If they build it, people will buy it.

-- hide signature --

Dave
No thought exists without an image. Socrates
http://whaleshark.smugmug.com

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jev2000
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
Re: More of the same speculation
In reply to dave gaines, Jan 8, 2013

Until we see the new camera, it's all speculation. Oly is all over the map on this one, if you put together all the various "leaks", interviews, comments from Oly insiders, etc., the new camera could be just about anything. There's way too much wishful thinking from all sectors.

dingenus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,698
Like?
Re: An Interesting Article
In reply to Doctor Lecter, Jan 8, 2013

If I see the CES announcement

http://www.getolympus.com/lenses.html?utm_source=em_ces2013&utm_campaign=ces2013&utm_medium=email&utm_content=nav_lens

where Olympus shows all the 4/3 lenses and a rebate on the mmf2 I can't deny that it smells to me as a promotion/reintroduction of the 4/3 lenses and a bargain sale/closeout of the mmf2 before the new AF mmf3 will be introduced later this year.

IMHO, the system is not dead but awakening from a heavy operation to conserve one of the best lenssystems in the world.

goblin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,604Gear list
Like?
In reply to dingenus, Jan 8, 2013

dingenus wrote:

...and a rebate on the mmf2 I can't deny that it smells to me as a promotion/reintroduction of the 4/3 lenses and a bargain sale/closeout of the mmf2 before the new AF mmf3 will be introduced later this year.

IMHO, the system is not dead but awakening from a heavy operation to conserve one of the best lenssystems in the world.

Alas, this is a wrong reading:

- The MMF-2 was an inexpensive (plastic used wherever possible) version of the MMF-1 (metal all around) which was released back when Olympus didn't have an m43 version of the 40-150mm lens, so they were selling a 4/3 40-150mm + MMF-2 bundle for $199 (which was the price of the lens alone).

- The MMF-3 was released almost an year ago with the OM-D, and all it does is to add two O-rings for weatherproofing. It weights the same as the MMF-2 otherwise, has the same flimsy looking (at first glance) construction, but it seems to contain a fair amount of titanium allows (ran it through our analyzer at work), so it might actually be quite different from the MMF-2.

In any case, there is no AF enhancement whatsoever between an MMF-2 and an MMF-3

- Last but not least - the prices on Oly's website are the standard MSRP prices for these adapters. I don't see any rebates in these prices.

As for the speculations about whether there will be a new DSLR or an "enhanced" m43 camera body to deal with the 4/3 lenses - I will avoid stepping there, as such discussions never end well.

Let's say that my very personal $0.02 on the subject is that an otherwise unchanged E-5 with a newer sensor will be a tough sell at the usual E-5 price, no matter how much we want it. The E-3/E-5 "barebone hardware kit" is simply pretty expensive to build, especially the viewfinder which is a pretty expensive gem. So this camera can not be made inexpensive. Keeping the same (now 6 years old) AF module, no matter how well it works, is also something which a Japanese company might be reluctant to do. And going the way of a new AF module, for a camera which has a pretty specific (and unfortunately probably shrinking) user base might be not very well looked at by the bean counters.

Keep in mind that every single bell and whistle on a top of the line m43 camera body currently pays for itself as it eventually goes down to the lower models down the line. This will not be the case for a dslr, unless they decide to reintroduce a whole new line of dslrs, which I an not optimist enough to speculate about.

goblin's gear list:goblin's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-400 +31 more
jim stirling
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,665Gear list
Like?
In reply to Doctor Lecter, Jan 9, 2013

Doctor Lecter wrote:

http://bibliophibian.com/2013/is-the-olympus-e-system-really-dead/

-- hide signature --

Dr. Lecter

I personally wouldn't consider the heavier though excellent SHG lenses for use on a mFT body ( pro designation or not) however , I hope to pick up a 50-200 SWD lens as it is very good for the range it covers and not too large. I have been getting a bit more serious about my mFT gear with 2 GH3,s , 12-35 ,35-100 , 100-300, 25mm, 60mm macro and the 45mm f1.8 ( that is a lens with a lot of bang for the buck )while none of them are as excellent as their FT alternatives. The performance is not to shabby at all and for a fraction of the weight. I am intrigued with the possibility of a genuine high end body from Olympus. The O-MD is a great featured model , it's only major issue for me is it is a bit too small and fiddly.

I was seriously tempted by the E-M5 the only things putting me off are the already mentioned size/ fiddly controls and the less advanced video than the GH3 . A pro level body with the next generation 5axis IS, new EVF, etc would be an excellent platform for many shooters. I do not own any FT lenses having replaced them ,with the mFT alternatives. However if you do and are happy with the size and weight I would not be selling them, as considering that other companies have at least partial solutions to the AF problems ( I have used large FF Nikon lenses on a mates V1 with surprisingly quick results) , I don't see why Olympus will not be able to do at least as well.

For just about every feature other than C-AF the top mFT bodies ( GH3/E-M5) easily compete with the best DSLR.s for a fraction of the weight. I bought the D800 last year and I am delighted with it , though I do not see myself buying a DSLR again .As by the time the D800 becomes redundant I fully expect that mirrorless will be the norm in all formats. So unless you have a very pressing need I wouldn't be in any rush to change to another DSLR range as I feel no matter where you go , eventually mirrorless will win out. The only real weaknesses in current mirrorless cameras are the C-AF which is already being tackled a few different ways and EVF quality which is steadily evolving, I think we are only a generation or two away from these two factors being irrelevant.

Jim

jim stirling's gear list:jim stirling's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +13 more
alatchin
Contributing MemberPosts: 759Gear list
Like?
The HG lens lineup alone...

Is incentive enough to create a viable AF solution on m43rds bodies... If anyone thinks a fast, HQ zoom like the 50-200 will be significantly smaller for mirrorless while retaining the IQ and Aperture values then they are kidding themselves...

It would be much simpler to solve the AF, (like Fuji, Sony, Nikon etc) and start selling 12-60's and 50-200's for a year or two or until stocks run out. In the meantime start developing your mark11 versions for around a the 5 year mark as upgrades... There are other benefits to the PDAF issue like improved CAF or even better focus during video (lose the initial wobble and move straight to the focus point)...

Well, lets see what happens. Personally I think there is a lot of room in the $1500 - $1700 pricepoint for a very compelling camera considering the OMD body started at $1000.

Abraham

-- hide signature --

“You don’t take a photograph, you make it.” -Ansel Adams
blog.alatchinphotography(dot)com

alatchin's gear list:alatchin's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +20 more
erichK
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,950Gear list
Like?
Olympus has at least been honest...
In reply to alatchin, Jan 9, 2013

From what I have read of what Watanabe officially said.  He both admitted that AF was a big problem, and also that cameras like the Pens and the OM-D do not fill the needs of HG and especially SHG users.  Although I have used both, quite successfully, on the OM-D despite the almost bizarre size mismatch, I continue to hope for either an E-5 successor or a substantially larger - at least E-1 sized - mFT body adapted or adaptable to using this excellent glass in an optimum way.

An E-7 does seem unlikely, but is by no means impossible, both because of the impressive way the E-5 seems to have retained its value, and also because it actually comes pretty close to what we need.  If Olympus manages to really wring out the best out of the Sony 16MP sensor - the way they did with its predecessor in the E-5 - and add the IS and other technologies pioneered in the the OM-D then significant AF and CAF improvements would be the only remaining   hurdles to an impressive new flagship camera indeed.

-- hide signature --

erichK
saskatoon, canada
Photography is a small voice, at best, but sometimes one photograph, or a group of them, can lure our sense of awareness.
- W. Eugene Smith, Dec 30, 1918 to Oct 15, 1978.
http://erichk.zenfolio.com/
http://www.fototime.com/inv/7F3D846BCD301F3
underwater photos:
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/5567

erichK's gear list:erichK's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 +16 more
dingenus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,698
Like?
In reply to goblin, Jan 9, 2013

Alas, you are right with regard to the mmf2, but the 'never ending discussion' about the  coming m4/3 with 4/3AF will end this year I am convinced with the introduction of a new m4/3 camera  that imho will use a new AF mmf4? as showed in a patent we all have could see on 43 rumors (agami). I'm only afraid about the price.

TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,301
Like?
That does look like the logical path to follow

Make the OMD body a bit larger, or keep it the same size and add a larger grip with larger buttons, fix the ZD AF issue... instant dual purpose system: tiny with fast primes when you want portability, or larger with the killer ZD zooms when you want flexibility.

Let's not forget, the dynamic duo of 12-60 and 50-200 are quite small, when compared to what other DSLR's need to cover that same range with that level of IQ, especially now that the sensor penalty has been addressed.

Given the fact that - as that writer says - the OMD has shaken up the industry, it doesn't make sense from a sales or marketing perspective for Olympus to do anything other than build on the OM-D's success.

Personally, I'd love to have seen the E5 retooled with the new sensor. But, the harsh reality is: the giants Canon and Nikon are getting out of the high end APS DSLR market: the 7D and D7000 are being replaced with the FF 6D and D600. If they're throwing in the towel, I don't see any less than FF DSLR from anyone selling well.

I'm just glad Oly is building a body with a hot sensor that will AF my ZD's fast. The result isn't perfect, but it's better than total obsolescence. Those lenses are too good to become obsolete.

TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,301
Like?
What I've experienced with big glass on small body
In reply to erichK, Jan 9, 2013

I've been using my newly acquired ZD 35-100 quite a bit on both OM-D and E3.

And, to tell the truth, my gripped OM-D is really no worse as regards handling, than my ungripped E3, with that big lens attached. Both are a bit clumsy, but manageable. A smaller SHG like the 7-14... no problem. It's a bit nose heavy, but handles well, like putting the 7-14 on an E620.

I tend to think that handling with the very large lenses could be improved with just a larger grip, maybe a stouter neck strap and mounts - I don't hang OMD+SHG ZD from that dinky little strap. If it were to break... that's a pricey and beloved lens that will be hitting the ground.

I might be a bit less enthusiastic about SHG on OMD if I had an E5, but with the huge gap in IQ and PP headroom between the E3 and OM-D, plus the better AF accuracy, the E3 just isn't getting a lot of use lately.

35-100 on OMD... works pretty good.

goblin
Like?
In reply to jim stirling, Jan 9, 2013

jim stirling wrote:

I personally wouldn't consider the heavier though excellent SHG lenses for use on a mFT body ( pro designation or not)

I would add "currently existing" to "mFT body" to stay correct.

Small size is a possible, not a mandatory feature of a mFT body. It has so far been a matter of choice for mFT body manufacturers, but one has to admit that they were not exactly flooding the market with pro mft bodies neither.

The GH-3 is a good example of a step in the right direction.

Absolutely nothing prevents any of the two manufacturers from releasing an mft body the size of a D4 - small size is not a mandatory requirement.

While I doubt Olympus would release a pro mft body the size of an E-5 or D4, I can see them digging in their pre - 4/3 heritage.

A company who was not afraid to release the TCON-300s extension back in the E-10/E-20 times (said TCON being quite a monster, but a pretty nice one) wouldn't be afraid of releasing something really ergonomic as far as grips go. I am still dreaming about a modular camera from them.

Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-400 +31 more
dave gaines
Like?
Interesting Article drawing Eternal Optimists to 1022

I'm not sure where to put this conversation? Entertaining as it may be for many of you to speculate on a new m4/3 camera, it doesn't have much value here on Olympus DSLR Talk. I don't hear lot of love here for Olympus 4/3 DSLR. I hear the grumblings of Eternal Pessimists about the future of DSLRs.

An upgrade to the E-5 with some improvements in AF and a new sensor with wider DR and higher ISO capabilities would be very competitive in the DSLR market. Olympus has the advantage in lens IQ, lens speed and telephoto lens size.

If the cheapest mmf2 adapter costs $160 then how much would a mmf adapter that provides a flipping mirror or translucent mirror and PDAF and C-AF cost? Picture an adapter that works like the Olympus E-330. Who knows what a mirror and the 11 point autofocus sensor costs? If a new adapter cost $360 then the price of the current OM-D EM-5, a grip and the new adapter would be $1660. That's too close to the cost of the E-5, a new E-7 or any APS camera that offers weather sealing. A device like this sounds cumbersome, expensive and over-engineered when that's already available in a DSLR. It might be appealing for someone who already has the OMD but not to a newbie looking to upgrade from a P&S or switch from a DSLR to a MILC.

There's no reason to make a larger OM-D just to offer better balance and grip with a SHG lens. The advantage of the Pen and OM-D lines has always been promoted as the small, inconspicuous, carry-it-everywhere cameras. Remember Olympus launched the Pen line with Kevin Spacey dropping it into his coat pocket. If I wanted a large camera I'd buy a DSLR Pro body with all the advantages of ergonomcis, large quick access buttons, AF features and an OVF.

It would be a mistake to offer another OMD that would compete with the EM-5 while it's still a top seller. Maybe in 2 to 3 years from now?

I could see Olympus offering a new grip that attaches to a HG or SHG lens like a lens collar. The basic shutter and camera controls of a Pen or OM-D could be pushed to the center of the lens where better balance would be achieved. It could be an integral part of this new mmf adapter that m4/3 owners are dreaming about.

The GH-3 looks great for video but there is no IBIS possible with it. It's best use is with Panasonic lenses. And BTW, Panasonic has no plans to develop a m4/3 to 4/3 lens adapter.

A new Olympus DSLR doesn't need to compete with entry level APS cameras. Only with APS cameras that offer weather proofing, a rugged mag-alloy body and the available constant f/2.8 lenses which are probably equivalent to Olympus HG and SHG lenses. Olympus is still a good value compared to the equivalent camera system in APS, . Compared to full frame and the lenses required to get the most out of that FF sensor, Olympus is a bargain. Especially in longer focal lengths.

I don't see any signs of Canon and Nikon abandoning their APS cameras and compatible lenses. They've slowed down in their release of new Rebels and D7000s but they do have new APS cameras in 2012. They've been hurt by the same global economic downturn and natural disasters that all Asian manufacturers have faced. The SE Asia monsoons that hit soon after Japan's 2011 tsunami affected Nikon more than Olympus. CaNikon isn't abandoning FF DSLRs either. They have a lot invested in the Pro DSLR lines and more now with the newer entry level FF DSLRs. What would they do with that 600 mm f/4 birding lens if they went to a shorter flange distance?

-- hide signature --

Dave

Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
goblin
Like?
Re: Interesting Article drawing Eternal Optimists to 1022
In reply to dave gaines, Jan 9, 2013

dave gaines wrote:

I'm not sure where to put this conversation? Entertaining as it may be for many of you to speculate on a new m4/3 camera, it doesn't have much value here on Olympus DSLR Talk.

The conversation is about an article commenting the possible demise of Olympus DSLRs. As such, speculations about whether there will or will not be an other Olympus 4/3 DSLR body released, and if not - what would replace it - are fully on topic in my opinion.

If any speculation different from "Yes, there WILL be another Oly DSLR !!! " is forbidden, it would be a good thing to put it clearly in the forum rules, so we can spare everyone's time.

I could see Olympus offering a new grip that attaches to a HG or SHG lens like a lens collar. The basic shutter and camera controls of a Pen or OM-D could be pushed to the center of the lens where better balance would be achieved. It could be an integral part of this new mmf adapter that m4/3 owners are dreaming about.

That would be more likely what many owners of 4/3 lenses would dream about. mFT owners wouldn't care much about it, as many of them don't come from 4/3 at all and probably don't even know HG and SHG lenses exist. There are more shades in nature than black and white.

Chris Mak
Senior MemberPosts: 1,143
Like?
In reply to dave gaines, Jan 9, 2013

A really refreshing post Dave. Somehow when something new comes along, there are always those that feel everything else is passé, outdated and gone within a year or two. You simply cannot argue against that kind of spirit. Dslr cameras, be it Canon, Nikon or Pentax, are not going away. The latest fancy is that because Nikon and Canon have both released an affordable FF Dslr, Apsc will be dead and gone within two years. The irritation factor that comes along with reading loads of nonsense off this kind all the time, is fed by the fact that Olympus is in a precarious situation. Apsc has evolved to a level, where there's simply little sense in releasing new models at a high pace. Sony's more than two years old state of the art 16mp Apsc sensor was a tremendous breakthrough a few years ago, and it is still debated whether the latest 24mp Sony Apsc sensor equals the IQ of the older 16mp sensor. Pentax got a staggering 14.1 EV of DR out of that 16mp sensor, and better sensors where the main reason for releasing new cameras: better DR, better high iso, better overall noise control. With the advent of an affordable FF sensor, what would be more likely to add FF Dslr cameras at a low(er) price level to the stable? That doesn't mean Dslr cameras, with their still considerably lower price level, smaller lenses, smaller size and lower weight, are dead and gone in two years.

The issue with Olympus is not their innovation. The issue is the nature of the transition they forced and still force on those who invested in 4/3. People could have even lived with their concept of pausing 4/3 development in favor off the mirrorless revolution, if only they had kept up the necessary support and communication. New evolutions happen by giving people new choices, not by taking away those choices. Even if, íf mirrorless, with EVF and smaller form factor, is eventually really going to take over the world, it's going to take a much longer time than people seem to think before Dslr is extinct. How do people picture those with the 250 and 300 zuiko lenses that cost them many thousands of dollars or euros, taking an OM-D type camera on excursion out of free will, when there's Canon Nikon and Pentax to switch to? It's up to Olympus if they want them to stay.

Chris

dave gaines wrote:

I'm not sure where to put this conversation? Entertaining as it may be for many of you to speculate on a new m4/3 camera, it doesn't have much value here on Olympus DSLR Talk. I don't hear lot of love here for Olympus 4/3 DSLR. I hear the grumblings of Eternal Pessimists about the future of DSLRs.

An upgrade to the E-5 with some improvements in AF and a new sensor with wider DR and higher ISO capabilities would be very competitive in the DSLR market. Olympus has the advantage in lens IQ, lens speed and telephoto lens size.

If the cheapest mmf2 adapter costs $160 then how much would a mmf adapter that provides a flipping mirror or translucent mirror and PDAF and C-AF cost? Picture an adapter that works like the Olympus E-330. Who knows what a mirror and the 11 point autofocus sensor costs? If a new adapter cost $360 then the price of the current OM-D EM-5, a grip and the new adapter would be $1660. That's too close to the cost of the E-5, a new E-7 or any APS camera that offers weather sealing. A device like this sounds cumbersome, expensive and over-engineered when that's already available in a DSLR. It might be appealing for someone who already has the OMD but not to a newbie looking to upgrade from a P&S or switch from a DSLR to a MILC.

There's no reason to make a larger OM-D just to offer better balance and grip with a SHG lens. The advantage of the Pen and OM-D lines has always been promoted as the small, inconspicuous, carry-it-everywhere cameras. Remember Olympus launched the Pen line with Kevin Spacey dropping it into his coat pocket. If I wanted a large camera I'd buy a DSLR Pro body with all the advantages of ergonomcis, large quick access buttons, AF features and an OVF.

It would be a mistake to offer another OMD that would compete with the EM-5 while it's still a top seller. Maybe in 2 to 3 years from now?

I could see Olympus offering a new grip that attaches to a HG or SHG lens like a lens collar. The basic shutter and camera controls of a Pen or OM-D could be pushed to the center of the lens where better balance would be achieved. It could be an integral part of this new mmf adapter that m4/3 owners are dreaming about.

The GH-3 looks great for video but there is no IBIS possible with it. It's best use is with Panasonic lenses. And BTW, Panasonic has no plans to develop a m4/3 to 4/3 lens adapter.

A new Olympus DSLR doesn't need to compete with entry level APS cameras. Only with APS cameras that offer weather proofing, a rugged mag-alloy body and the available constant f/2.8 lenses which are probably equivalent to Olympus HG and SHG lenses. Olympus is still a good value compared to the equivalent camera system in APS, . Compared to full frame and the lenses required to get the most out of that FF sensor, Olympus is a bargain. Especially in longer focal lengths.

I don't see any signs of Canon and Nikon abandoning their APS cameras and compatible lenses. They've slowed down in their release of new Rebels and D7000s but they do have new APS cameras in 2012. They've been hurt by the same global economic downturn and natural disasters that all Asian manufacturers have faced. The SE Asia monsoons that hit soon after Japan's 2011 tsunami affected Nikon more than Olympus. CaNikon isn't abandoning FF DSLRs either. They have a lot invested in the Pro DSLR lines and more now with the newer entry level FF DSLRs. What would they do with that 600 mm f/4 birding lens if they went to a shorter flange distance?

-- hide signature --

Dave

altair8800
Senior MemberPosts: 1,227
Like?
Re: That does look like the logical path to follow
In reply to TrapperJohn, Jan 10, 2013

TrapperJohn wrote:

Personally, I'd love to have seen the E5 retooled with the new sensor. But, the harsh reality is: the giants Canon and Nikon are getting out of the high end APS DSLR market: the 7D and D7000 are being replaced with the FF 6D and D600. If they're throwing in the towel, I don't see any less than FF DSLR from anyone selling well.

I have a E-3, but my main camera is a 7D. The 6D is in no way a replacement for the 7D. I could afford the 1Dx or 5D3, but consider them (and 6D) a downgrade for birds and wildlife. Most owners of D300 want D400, not D600.

I'm just glad Oly is building a body with a hot sensor that will AF my ZD's fast. The result isn't perfect, but it's better than total obsolescence. Those lenses are too good to become obsolete.

The result is far from perfect. I bet Oly puts the OM-D sensor in the E-5 body and improves AF. If not, I wait for the 7DII. Or D400.

Remember what Ogawa said: "Of course, we're reaching a high level of performance with our Micro Four Thirds mirrorless product, but we are still not satisfied with these at the professional level. That's why we think we still need the E-System to satisfy professional photographers."

No professional OM-D. Those lenses will not become obsolete.

Dan

dave gaines
Like?
The true Optimist, good points & next DSLR
In reply to Chris Mak, Jan 10, 2013

Thanks for commenting Chris. Your thoughts are clear and succint. No one wins the MP wars. You're right, "Better sensors are the main reason for releasing new cameras: better DR, better high iso, better overall noise control." Improved AF and CAF is the other thing I hear Olympus owners asking for. My E-5 focuses faster than I can think about my next step so I'm not complaining.

I don't think Olympus is leaving 4/3 owners without a path for the future. They've said there will be a new camera to optimize use of 4/3 lenses by the end of 2013. That's likely to be a new DSLR for all the reasons I noted above. I have faith. For now the E-5 is only two years old and serving my needs well.

You're right about people who bought the expensive lenses. People who have invested in SHG telephoto lenses aren't going to settle for m4/3 Pen or OM-D with current m4/3 lenses. These are people who've taken their photography to a higher level. I have 3 SHG zoom lenses filling the range from 7 mm to 100 mm. These aren't the most expensive SHG lenses and I'm not willing to settle for a m4/3.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Rriley
Forum ProPosts: 21,845Gear list
Like?
In reply to dave gaines, Jan 10, 2013

dave gaines wrote:

A new Olympus DSLR doesn't need to compete with entry level APS cameras. Only with APS cameras that offer weather proofing, a rugged mag-alloy body and the available constant f/2.8 lenses which are probably equivalent to Olympus HG and SHG lenses. Olympus is still a good value compared to the equivalent camera system in APS, .

this is the main reason 43rds should still be around, it would offer a durable professional grade platform with an excellent lens suite. But where we are today, they need a new body with a new sensor competitive with APSC to make that work.

I don't see any signs of Canon and Nikon abandoning their APS cameras and compatible lenses. They've slowed down in their release of new Rebels and D7000s but they do have new APS cameras in 2012.

There's a new set of strategies in play for both these makers, who have been offering high end pro-sumer APSC mounts like D300+ and 7D, and the option of low end FF,ie D700/5DII. Now they have access to cheap FF they've effectively brought it down from being a purely premium product into a consumer product.

Probably in a move to encourage this Nikon seem to have removed the possibility of a D400, but maintained the lesser D7000. The rest of Nikon's offerings in APSC are high volume cheap to produce cameras, they have good sensors, the internals are well sorted, but they are cheaply built plastic cameras sorted for module assembly that can be stamped out in huge numbers. I don't think we will see a D400 now, its just to expensive to make and they intend to move FF into that slot.

Canon OTOH look like maintaining the ageing 7D with an update to 7DII. They see this camera as a strength in long focal length high speed shooting and it is likely to be configured as a sports wildlife camera, and using longer FL FF lens options. But despite the differences to Nikons operation they have still pulled axis of their APSC cameras into the high volume bracket, and FF down into a cheaper consumer item.

This shift in the centre of gravity of FF is why all these changes are occurring, and to me creates the only real opportunity for a future 43rds, a durable professional grade platform for long high speed shooting. The 43rds system already has some great strengths in a wide range of lenses dedicated to its mount. But actually to do this effectively they need a few more lenses to make that work for the hobbyist shooter. From where I sit I just don't see them doing that.

-- hide signature --

Riley
any similarity to persons living or dead is coincidental and unintended
support 1022 Sunday Scapes'

Rriley's gear list:Rriley's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus E-M1
dave gaines
Like?
The Article & Olympsu DSLR Talk
In reply to goblin, Jan 10, 2013

goblin wrote:

dave gaines wrote:

I'm not sure where to put this conversation? Entertaining as it may be for many of you to speculate on a new m4/3 camera, it doesn't have much value here on Olympus DSLR Talk.

The conversation is about an article commenting the possible demise of Olympus DSLRs. As such, speculations about whether there will or will not be an other Olympus 4/3 DSLR body released, and if not - what would replace it - are fully on topic in my opinion.

Hi goblin,

Thanks for your reply. I get your point. Well stated. However...

The article contains the same quote we've seen in two other articles in as many weeks. Olympus said they will have a new camera to utilize 4/3 lenses by the end of 2013. The blogger goes on (and on) to speculate about what it might be. It would be pretty boring for these self-promoting bloggers to say the obvious, that there is another 4/3 DSLR in the works. We'd all go off and take pictures for a year and wait to see what Olympus offers up. But that kind of article doesn't keep readers coming back for more gossip. Reader hits sell ad space. So they hype wild ideas just to keep us entertained.

In spite of knowing the article is inventive at best, this conversation quickly developed into a platform for people to wish for a new m4/3 with a new, hypothetically plausible adapter. This ads nothing to Olympus DSLR Talk. It's distracting, negative, a forum killer and potentially a brand killer. This forum is slow enough without people posting preferences for other systems and saying Olympsu DSLR are passe.

That would be more likely what many owners of 4/3 lenses would dream about. mFT owners wouldn't care much about it, as many of them don't come from 4/3 at all and probably don't even know HG and SHG lenses exist. There are more shades in nature than black and white.

That was a joke. I've posted that before just to put the 4/3 to m4/3 adapter with a mirror, PDAF and CAF in perspective. Sure, they both could be built and they might work. But who would pay for it when it winds up costing more than an E-x DSLR?

But if m4/3 adopters don't know or care about the HG and SHG lenses then why is there a mmf2 and mmf3? I've got an E-5 with a big grip. If I want lens support I use a monopod.

There are many ways to solve a math or physics problem but the answers are always the same. There are a couple of ways to fix that noise your car is making. Some solutions are better than others.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines
Like?
Optimisticly good points
In reply to Rriley, Jan 10, 2013

Riley,

I agree. These are all good reasons for Olympus to keep making 4/3 DSLRs. And it needs to evolve with a better sensor. As Chris said, "Better sensors are the main reason for releasing new cameras: better DR, better high iso, better overall noise control."

Good points Riley. The Full Frame Factor is going to eliminate the high priced APS cameras. Except if you want a rugged, weather proof camera in the mid-price level. Again, Olympus to the rescue.

I haven't read anything about canikon eliminating APS cameras. But I'm reading more about the process of photography and artistic expression than I am about gear. I just don't read all of the review articles about other camera brands. I expct canikon to keep producing cameras for the masses. It's got to be highly profitable. If they don't produce a Pro level APS camera then so much the better for Olympus.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads