Being Inclusive and regarding opinion

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Questions
mlf123
Junior MemberPosts: 34
Like?
Being Inclusive and regarding opinion
Jan 8, 2013

My question is in two parts.

1. When pictures were/are posted here and are criticized.  Some long time members refer to the absence of pictures/portfolio of the person giving the opinion, as some form of justification why the opinion is rubbish.

2. Do I really need to know that you have way more cameras than you really need...including xx,xx,xx, and yy and yy?  Plus the following Lenses.  xx,xx,xx and yy and yy?

This is my point...is Joe/Mary public bothered?  Who buys the pictures?  Therefore is it not possible that all opinion is worthy of note, simply because it makes financial sense?  Why is it important to diminish any opinion, because you are unhappy with the comment?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flying Fish
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,654
Like?
Re: Being Inclusive and regarding opinion
In reply to mlf123, Jan 8, 2013

Well.  I think you know some of the answers, which doesn't make your questions any less valid.  I think people add their cameras and lenses to their signatures so that others don't have to ask.  It's mildly interesting in most cases and doesn't bother me.  And knowing that someone is a good photographer does lend weight to some kinds of criticism, don't you agree?  When, for example, Liquidstone (where is he these days?), aka Romy Ocon, says something about bird photography, I pay especial attention because his photographs of birds are superb.  But the bottom line for me is that any thoughtful criticism is appropriate and useful; comments like "that's nonsense" or "you don't know how to use a camera" and any other rude comments aren't.

Now here's my pet peeve, and that's people posting images under the heading of "See?  My old you name it still takes great photos."  Or "Isn't this lens/camera/software wonderful?"  And the photos they post could have been made with any camera/lens/software, or are lousy anyway, or are so small that you can't tell anything interesting about them.

Happy new year.

FF

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mlf123
Like?
In reply to Flying Fish, Jan 8, 2013

You know what? I do not disagree with your comments.  For my part I would not say out loud the amount of money I have spent on the equipment I have accumulated over the years, as an armature.  Because that is what I am...and to be honest I would be embarrassed to confess out loud.

On the second topic, I think all on here can identify without prompting, the brilliant pictures that have been posted.  My issue is with the pictures, where the general consensus is, the pictures are mediocre at best.  Therefore if they were mine, I would not shoot the messenger simply because I need help?  Nasty comments accepted.

Osiris30
Senior MemberPosts: 2,804
Like?
In reply to mlf123, Jan 8, 2013

mlf123 wrote:

You know what? I do not disagree with your comments. For my part I would not say out loud the amount of money I have spent on the equipment I have accumulated over the years, as an armature. Because that is what I am...and to be honest I would be embarrassed to confess out loud.

On the second topic, I think all on here can identify without prompting, the brilliant pictures that have been posted. My issue is with the pictures, where the general consensus is, the pictures are mediocre at best. Therefore if they were mine, I would not shoot the messenger simply because I need help? Nasty comments accepted.

Well there's a few things to remember I guess.  DPR isn't a photography site, it's a digital photography site.. aka a gear head site.  This results in a few things;

1) endless arguing over minutia - I don't really have a problem with this until the horse has been beaten so thoroughly that someone needs to tell me what is being beaten was once a horse and not a giant pile of mush

2) *rampant* fanboy-ism.  Luckily the introduction of community mods seems to have brought this into check so it's much less of an argument now than it used to be.  Some forums still are a bit much cough-cough-sigma-cough, but as a whole the site is a much better place

3) tech heads who don't appreciate the art of picture taking.  This is my single biggest gripe with the forums these days.  Questions like 'which is the sharpest portrait lens?' are a good example of everything that is wrong with taking a *purely* technical view of photography.  Anyone who has done portrait work knows a few things; a) most portrait lenses are more than good enough (especially when working in studio conditions and stopped down), b) the sharpest lens on the planet isn't always what you want when shooting portraits (it's certainly not the most important thing).

The 3rd point continues for image critique too.  Now before I go on I will say this; everyone is entitled to their opinion and personal preference for images, I'm not taking that away.  That said, I'm tired of people looking at pictures from a purely technical standpoint.  I can take a technically perfect picture of a brick and it's still just a picture of a brick.  What I never see asked by commenters on these forums are questions like; 'What was your intended emotional response from this image', or 'What emotion/feel are you trying to convey'.

I've personally taken a lot of picture where the goal wasn't to be razor sharp, hell some of them the goal is to be very very soft.  Similarly I've taken a lot of pictures with 'bad' exposures, on purpose, because that's the look the subject wanted (soft contrast washed out images are unfortunately all the rage these days).

What all of this says to me is that there are very few working pros here anymore, most seem to have sadly moved on.  It's been a long time since I've seen a shot on DPR that blew my mind when I used to see them regularly years ago

Steve

PS:  Forgive typos, I'm rushing off to an appointment in a moment.

mlf123
Like?
In reply to Osiris30, Jan 8, 2013

I think what started this off for me was the points you are making.  I want to hear what was going on in the head of the him/her and their opinion of the picture...I need a clue about where we are in relation to the picture...Including ( I have no clue,but my instinct is it works...help me out?)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads