G1X vs G15

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Discussions
epl17d50
Forum MemberPosts: 61
Like?
G1X vs G15
Jan 8, 2013

G1X and G15: what are and the pros and cons of choosing one over the other? Among the few I've gathered - G1X is good in low light, G15 has better macro performance.

Can anyone talk about their AF? Are they any better than the EOS M?

And by the way would anybody know if the EOS M now has lens adapters aside from those for EF and EF-S lenses? Like adapters for screwtypes and Nikkors?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Canon PowerShot G15
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,936Gear list
Like?
Re: G1X vs G15
In reply to epl17d50, Jan 8, 2013

There's a lot more differences than you list.   The G15 is considerably smaller and lighter by about 8 oz.  It's also slim enough to fit in a shirt pocket.

Both have an optical viewfinder.  The G1X has an articulated LCD panel, the G15 does not, it's fixed in place.  The G15 lens covers an equivalent 28-140 mm f/1.8-2.8; while the G1X covers 28-112 mm f/2.8-5.8.

Noise on the G15 is remarkably low, and the camera is quite usable at ISO 1600 or even 3200.  The G1X has lens that's a little over 2 stops slower at full zoom (112 mm, equivalent), so to get equal shutter speeds, the ISO set on the G1X will need to be 2x higher.  That pretty well wipes out the noise advantage of the G1X's larger sensor.

The G15 is very responsive.  How that compares to the G1X I can't say; but it is better than my G11, and the G1X isn't considered to be quick.

As you may have guessed I own the G15 and I'm very pleased with it.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
FJG3
Contributing MemberPosts: 718Gear list
Like?
In reply to epl17d50, Jan 8, 2013

I own both the G1X and the G15. If forced to give up one of them it would be the G1X. I am blown away by the IQ I get from both cameras but the advantages that others have mentioned in other threads that the G15 has over the G1X is the deciding factor for me. BTW, I'm keeping both as they are stellar performers.

FJG3's gear list:FJG3's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX7 Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Canon PowerShot G15 +7 more
Jostian
Senior MemberPosts: 1,245Gear list
Like?
In reply to FJG3, Jan 8, 2013

FJG3 wrote:

I own both the G1X and the G15. If forced to give up one of them it would be the G1X. I am blown away by the IQ I get from both cameras but the advantages that others have mentioned in other threads that the G15 has over the G1X is the deciding factor for me. BTW, I'm keeping both as they are stellar performers.

I'd keep the G1X, it's IQ simply blows the G15 away, check out the comparison between the 2 even from the lower iso's the G1X is better, at higher iso's the gap only widens. The faster lens of the G15 doesn't make up for the massive sensor in the G1X, but born are great, the G15 has better portability and some great IQ for its sensor size, but the G1X is in another league.

Jostian

Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS G1 X II Canon EOS 7D Sony a6000 Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
epl17d50
Forum MemberPosts: 61
Like?
In reply to GeraldW, Jan 9, 2013

Thanks GeraldW, FJG3 and Jostian

I’ll factor in all your inputs. Any of you guys participated in threads similar to this? Can you share some links?

Thanks again.

David Hurt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,331Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jostian, Jan 10, 2013

I got the G15 when B&H had it on sale & the package included a Lexar 16GB Class 10 SD card & a small Pearstone case.  I also bought a spare battery.  Since I shoot most of my work outdoors, I am limited this week, due to a LOT of rain. I Love the camera so far.  The only thing that bugs me(until I get used to it) is the battery to me is Harder to get in the camera(takes me a while) compared to the one in my G7, which is a breeze compared to the G15.  And, it being right after Christmas, the $200.00 price difference in the G1 X, I didn't have at the time.  Looking forward to shooting some Hi-Def video with the G15.

Mike604
Regular MemberPosts: 126
Like?
In reply to David Hurt, Jan 10, 2013

Having owned the G15 for now over a month( also having used the G1X for a few outings) The overall operation speed of the G15 exceeds the G1X IMO. I find menu navigating to be quicker. These are my findings. As others have stated, up to 1600 ISO I have beed really really impressed with the noise handling and characteristics of the Sensor in the G15.  The G1X does have the larger sensor, that is a given but for some to say that the G1X is in a different league, is not entirely true. The G15 holds up well against any camera in its class-ie-P7700,XZ-2,LX7 and so forth. The AF on the Canon Powershot G15 is quite a bit faster to focus in both daylight and lowlight, where the G1X does not fair to well. Thus, the keeper rate tends to be higher with the G15 in my findings.

G1x does have the swivel screen which can be a major reason why some would choose the G1X over the G15.

If size and weight or portability is a factor, the G15 has been substantially trimmed down compared to the G12 and G1X. Build quality is superb and very solid. Weight - G1X = 535g vs G15 = 352g which is a fair difference. Battery life is better on the G15(350) vs G1X(230-250), it can be purchased for cheaper-G15-, has a very fast lens f1.8-f2.6 vs the G1x f2.8-f5.8. If reach is important, the G15 completes that. I could go on longer but will not.

As an overall package, The Canon Powershot G15 is the better camera.

just my 2 cents.

Mike

mcshan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,313
Like?
In reply to epl17d50, Jan 10, 2013

With respect to all posts here I still see the two cameras in different classes. The G1X is better and capable of better output. It is up to each camera owner to define "better" for him or herself. The G1X has the much larger (and again..better) sensor and to me that is the difference maker.

The G15 is a cut above but I'd buy the G1X. It is not the typical point and shoot.

Mike604
Like?
In reply to mcshan, Jan 10, 2013

You do make a good point. Frustration with AF can deter a person from the purchase of a certain camera. Examples,  while fantastic image quality,  great VF and such,  the X100 was one of those and the G1X seems to be another one of those. Imo.

Jim
Jim
Senior MemberPosts: 1,709Gear list
Like?
In reply to GeraldW, Jan 10, 2013

GeraldW wrote:

There's a lot more differences than you list. The G15 is considerably smaller and lighter by about 8 oz. It's also slim enough to fit in a shirt pocket.

Both have an optical viewfinder. The G1X has an articulated LCD panel, the G15 does not, it's fixed in place. The G15 lens covers an equivalent 28-140 mm f/1.8-2.8; while the G1X covers 28-112 mm f/2.8-5.8.

Noise on the G15 is remarkably low, and the camera is quite usable at ISO 1600 or even 3200. The G1X has lens that's a little over 2 stops slower at full zoom (112 mm, equivalent), so to get equal shutter speeds, the ISO set on the G1X will need to be 2x higher. That pretty well wipes out the noise advantage of the G1X's larger sensor.

From a noise perspective the G1X wipes the G15...hands down...not even close. In addition, it can handle significantly higher ISO settings than can the G15 and still maintain image quality. Macros aside, the G15 is not even in the same league as the G1X. I would suggest that anyone interested in either of these cameras compare their respective images, handle both the cameras (if do-able) and decide from there.

Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,191Gear list
Like?
In reply to epl17d50, Jan 11, 2013

Hi,

There have been many threads on the G1X versus the G12 & G15 going right back to the early days of the G1X.  I haven't searched for the links, but if you do a search you'll probably find even more responses.

I own the G12 and G1X.  They're different cameras, so it's horses for courses.  I don't see much difference in AF speed.  The G15 is reported to be faster than the G12, so I'd say it would be faster than the G1X.  On IQ, I'm with those saying that the IQ is better at all ISOs out of the G1X.  The real question is 'by how much'.  You won't see it so much in very good light, but it is noticeably so in lower light.  The G1X isn't good at action and macro (without accessories).  It does macro very well with the Canon 250D CU lens.  If you're a filter user, the G1X may be better - the filter adapter is  small and easy to use.

I don't always agree with the concept that a faster lens makes up for the slower lens/larger sensor combo of the G1X.  It's sometimes true, but not always.  You may want to use smaller apertures in some situations, and the G1X lens delivers excellent performance right through its range from wide open to f11 and even f16.  The smaller G lenses are optimal wide open or stopped down one stop, and are diffraction limited from there.

FWIW, although the G1X has a P&S heritage, it's a camera that requires you think a bit more about your photography - the DOF you get at the 60mm long end of lens is quite limited.  So in that respect it's a bit more like shooting with a DSLR.

I've kept both.  I have found that I take the G12 to social situations because it's small, light and easy to use and gets very deep DOF for groups of people, restaurant tables, etc.  It's also easier for other people to use.    I take the G1X traveling and hiking and so on when I want better IQ - I tend to shoot landscapes and buildings, street scenes, etc, and they don't move too fast.....:-)

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
alamojo
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rod McD, Jan 11, 2013

Methinks it's important to note that the G1X's sensor is some 6 times larger than the G15 (and virtually all other compact cameras).

I was actually planning on getting the G15 but I got the G1X because it was less expensive using the Adorama rebate deal (net cost was $260 to me).

-Alan

alamojo's gear list:alamojo's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Ciapka
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
In reply to alamojo, Jan 13, 2013

After using my G10 for 4+ years decided to upgrade.  Really wanted to love the G1X.  Picture quality was hit, and miss (too many out of focus shots and issues with exposure) and auto focus is slow slow slow....huge shutter lag!  Macro is virtually non existent.  Decided to pick up a g15.  SO GLAD I did!!!  Fast and accurate auto focus, great image stabilization, amazing in low light!  On paper the G1X may have what it takes but in reality the little g15 wins hands down!  Noise at high iso is well controlled and raw files quality is superb. I find my dslr stays at home most of the time now!

PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,864Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ciapka, Jan 13, 2013

Ciapka wrote:

On paper the G1X may have what it takes but in reality the little g15 wins hands down! Noise at high iso is well controlled and raw files quality is superb. I find my dslr stays at home most of the time now!

I've been very please with my G15, shooting in a variety of indoors and outdoors situation. Even got some very nice performance videos with it. My "main" cameras are EOS 7D & 60Da, but they spend more time at home now.  I've  not tried a G1 X but the slower performance would bug me, I reckon.  Maybe the G2 X, if there is one, will cure those issues unless they are unavoidable for some unknown reason.

Another note: I've found the OVF much more usable than on earlier G cameras (G9 & G11) -- important in some quick shooting situations.

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Mike604
Like?
In reply to PC Wheeler, Jan 14, 2013

'' remember the sensor is 6 times bigger''  time to get off the large sensor horse. Sensor size isn't everything. Just like the OMD,  it may not have the bigger sensor vs APS_c but as an entire package,  it beats pretty much every APS_c camera. G1X is just so hit and miss with Af. To miss so many shots to have a little better low light and resolution is not something I would give up.

The G15 is just such a good all arounder.

Jostian
Like?
In reply to Mike604, Jan 15, 2013

Have owned the G1X for about 6 months and 3 days ago I bought the G15, and I must say the fast lens of the G15 offsets the difference in sensor size a bit (obviously the bigger sensor is always better), but there ain't much in it when under the same (low light) conditions I need to use 3200 ISO on the G1X and only 800 ISO on the G15, so yes even then the IQ of the G1X has a very slight edge but the BIG difference for me is the operational and AF speed on the G15, its just a lot snappier (especially in low light where the G1X can 'hunt' a bit), I lost a lot of photo opportunities a few weeks ago in the eve, where the G1X was just too slow to get focus and the slowness of the lens really didn't help. I love the fact that the lens cap is built into the G15 (the separate lens cap on the G1X just irritates me and always seems to be in the way). And the IQ of the G15 is really stellar, I'm quite surprised at how good it is and how good it holds up at higher ISO's (easily beating my S100). The G1X really has superb IQ, but it also has some severe limitations, the G15 has the best IQ I've seen from a P&S (especially at higher ISO's and the fast lens means you can get the speed you need for low light shots that you just cannot get with the G1X, just my 5 cents...

-- hide signature --

Jostian

Olympus XZ-2 iHS G1 X II Canon EOS 7D Sony a6000 Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
tinpusher
Senior MemberPosts: 1,217Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jostian, Jan 15, 2013

Jostian wrote:

. I love the fact that the lens cap is built into the G15 (the separate lens cap on the G1X just irritates me and always seems to be in the way).

Since I got a JJC Auto lens cap for the G1X lhandling is so much easier...best accessory I've bought for it.

tinpusher's gear list:tinpusher's gear list
Leica X1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S +6 more
Jostian
Like?
In reply to tinpusher, Jan 15, 2013

tinpusher wrote:

Jostian wrote:

. I love the fact that the lens cap is built into the G15 (the separate lens cap on the G1X just irritates me and always seems to be in the way).

Since I got a JJC Auto lens cap for the G1X lhandling is so much easier...best accessory I've bought for it.

Thanks for this, will check it out.

-- hide signature --

Jostian

Alandb
Regular MemberPosts: 133Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jostian, Jan 21, 2013

Jostian wrote:

tinpusher wrote:

Jostian wrote:

Thanks for this, will check it out.

-- hide signature --

Jostian

How does the JJC lens cap effect the Lensmate filter adapter?

Alandb's gear list:Alandb's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Epson Stylus Photo R2880 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads