Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Discussions
YuriS
Regular MemberPosts: 337Gear list
Like?
Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?
Jan 8, 2013

Hello everybody!

I know this topic / question already discussed, but I would like to re-open it from different point of view.

I’m enthusiastic photographer (for about 25 years - not professional). Currently I use Olympus E-PL1, my favorite activity – take landscape pictures with Fisheye and, along with my wife, shot art portraitures with legacy manual lenses (especially Minoltas 50mm and 85mm).

http://natalispalette.jimdo.com/photo/minolta-md-rokkor-50mm-f1-4-lens/

http://natalispalette.jimdo.com/photo/samyang-7-5-mm-f3-5-umc-fish-eye-mft/

We decided to upgrade our gear and inputs for our decision are:

  1. Body for $800-$1000.
  2. Mirrorless system to adapt legacy lenses.
  3. Tilt LCD screen, EVF preferable.
  4. As large as possible physical sensor size (not M-pixels).
  5. MF assistance for legacy lenses and Friendly buttons customization / menu.  

Two candidates (Olympus OM-D E-M5 and Sony NEX-6) are perfectly fit to me. Besides lens availability (not so important to me – I use legacy and adapters are cheap) there are three major differences:

1. In body stabilization - Olympus OM-D E-M5 win

2. Larger sensor - Sony NEX-6 win

3. About 25% (in Europe) price difference. - Sony NEX-6 win

Does Larger sensor for less money worth more than In body stabilization? M-m-m-m… May be yes. So Sony NEX-6 looks preferable.  Or possibly I am missing some other points? Please comment.

 YuriS's gear list:YuriS's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +1 more
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Domagoj Batinic
Contributing MemberPosts: 514Gear list
Like?
Re: Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?
In reply to YuriS, Jan 8, 2013

i'm using E-M5 mainly with manual lenses (i got over 100 of them) and it's great. most of people here will recommend you camera they use and like. what ever comments will be, in the end it's a question of personal preference. best to go to the camera shop and test how both feel in hand and how they work

-- hide signature --

my gear:
E-M5+45mm/1.8
E-520+12-60+14-42+70-300+Sigma 105 + FL-50R+EC20 + SRF-11
and good number of legacy lenses (list in profile)

 Domagoj Batinic's gear list:Domagoj Batinic's gear list
Olympus D-620L Olympus C-2000 Zoom Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-550 UZ Olympus SP-560 UZ +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 4,104Gear list
Like?
Re: Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?
In reply to YuriS, Jan 8, 2013

MF might be easier with the NEX, but if you have been fine with the PEN then this is not necessarily an issue.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ju_ju
Contributing MemberPosts: 936Gear list
Like?
Re: Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?
In reply to YuriS, Jan 8, 2013

Yurus, this can come down to personal preference with the ergonomics. I use alternative lenses all the time and have for a long time. I have the Nex5n and the OM-D along with ten or more adapters. Many will point out focus peaking. I never got along with it for legacy lenses. I sometimes put the EF400mm f5.6 on the OM-D for surf pictures. With the OM-D this works with the tripod bracket which is on the lens. I have never achieved anything with it on the Nex 5n. Ergonomics  are so uncomfortable. I am aware the Nex 6 is not the 5n but they do share a similarity in ergonomics. Using lenses such as the induster, jupiter 8, OM mount , CY Z 50mm T*, I still find the ergonomics on the Nex design to be somewhat clumsy and uncomfortable, against a more traditional designed camera like the OM-D.

This from personal experience has been my conclusion and now rarely using the lenses on the Nex. Hope this helps, really what I am saying is that I would try and look at the ergonomics as an issue as well and even maybe as a priority in many ways, then go from there, as both systems are very capable in producing excellent images.

 ju_ju's gear list:ju_ju's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
duckling
Senior MemberPosts: 1,760Gear list
Like?
Re: Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?
In reply to YuriS, Jan 8, 2013

Your galleries suggest a slow, thought out shooting style. Either of the two will easily do, but having used an E-PL1 you may find Sony colours less pleasing.

 duckling's gear list:duckling's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
YuriS
Regular MemberPosts: 337Gear list
Like?
Re: Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?
In reply to ju_ju, Jan 8, 2013

Thank you for suggestions!

Yes, I aware about some uncomfortable ergonomic of NEX-5N (this is a reason I’m not considering this camera), but all review says that NEX-6 superior in this matter. I have a question regarding “focus peaking”. This option is not available at OM-D which has Life view with close-up. Which one is better for Manual focus?

 YuriS's gear list:YuriS's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
YuriS
Regular MemberPosts: 337Gear list
Like?
Re: Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?
In reply to duckling, Jan 8, 2013

duckling wrote:

Your galleries suggest a slow, thought out shooting style. Either of the two will easily do, but having used an E-PL1 you may find Sony colours less pleasing.

Thank you! Yes, I'm not "street photographer". I like to do it slowly... Also I'm afraid "SONY colors" - I use RAW post processing. Thanks again!

 YuriS's gear list:YuriS's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DmikeB
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
Re: Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?
In reply to YuriS, Jan 8, 2013

If you tend to work in well lit areas then the lower ISO of the NEX produces amazingly detailed images. The larger sensor also means that the lenses are more similar to their intended field of view. However, if you are happy with the field of view that you are currently getting from your lenses, and particularly if you use a more telephoto field of view then having in build stabilization can be key in many situations. You'll already be used to the intricacies of Olympus cameras and the control that they give you. Personally, I find having control over the ISO range very useful for using manual lenses and typically use the OM-D's two control dials for exposure compensation and shutter speed when using manual lenses (leaving the camera to work out ISO). Although the NEX has two control dials, my understanding is that their functions are rather limited and you can't do that with them ( http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-alpha-nex-6/5 ). It may be that Sony updates their software to allow more flexible use of the controls.

 DmikeB's gear list:DmikeB's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Acrill
Senior MemberPosts: 1,427Gear list
Like?
Re: Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?
In reply to YuriS, Jan 8, 2013

YuriS wrote:

duckling wrote:

Your galleries suggest a slow, thought out shooting style. Either of the two will easily do, but having used an E-PL1 you may find Sony colours less pleasing.

Thank you! Yes, I'm not "street photographer". I like to do it slowly... Also I'm afraid "SONY colors" - I use RAW post processing. Thanks again!

'Sony Colours, "olympus Colours" etc only apply to JPEG processing.

RAW colours are whatever you want them to be.

 Acrill's gear list:Acrill's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,069Gear list
Like?
Re: Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?
In reply to YuriS, Jan 8, 2013

If you are going to build your system around your collection of legacy lenses, that is unusual, than you have to choose the most legacy glass friendly body.

So, do you like blinkeis of NEX more than image magnification of M43? If you can answer this question,  you're set

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

 s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
YuriS
Regular MemberPosts: 337Gear list
Like?
Re: Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?
In reply to Acrill, Jan 8, 2013

Acrill wrote:

YuriS wrote:

duckling wrote:

Your galleries suggest a slow, thought out shooting style. Either of the two will easily do, but having used an E-PL1 you may find Sony colours less pleasing.

Thank you! Yes, I'm not "street photographer". I like to do it slowly... Also I'm afraid "SONY colors" - I use RAW post processing. Thanks again!

'Sony Colours, "olympus Colours" etc only apply to JPEG processing.

RAW colours are whatever you want them to be.

Yes, you right, it should be like "Also I'm not afraid "SONY colors". Thanks!

 YuriS's gear list:YuriS's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
YuriS
Regular MemberPosts: 337Gear list
Like?
Re: Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?
In reply to DmikeB, Jan 8, 2013

DmikeB wrote:

If you tend to work in well lit areas then the lower ISO of the NEX produces amazingly detailed images. The larger sensor also means that the lenses are more similar to their intended field of view. However, if you are happy with the field of view that you are currently getting from your lenses, and particularly if you use a more telephoto field of view then having in build stabilization can be key in many situations. You'll already be used to the intricacies of Olympus cameras and the control that they give you. Personally, I find having control over the ISO range very useful for using manual lenses and typically use the OM-D's two control dials for exposure compensation and shutter speed when using manual lenses (leaving the camera to work out ISO). Although the NEX has two control dials, my understanding is that their functions are rather limited and you can't do that with them ( http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-alpha-nex-6/5 ). It may be that Sony updates their software to allow more flexible use of the controls.

Thank you! That exactly a kind of things I'm looking for... Focal  length a tricky issue. When 50mm 1.4 prime become 100mm - is it good for portrait and close-ups, but not for day-by-day usage. And 85mm become 170mm. Complicated question.

 YuriS's gear list:YuriS's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
YuriS
Regular MemberPosts: 337Gear list
Like?
Re: Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?
In reply to s_grins, Jan 8, 2013

s_grins wrote:

If you are going to build your system around your collection of legacy lenses, that is unusual, than you have to choose the most legacy glass friendly body.

Usually I have one or two AF lenses for day-by-day usage (Like Pana 20mm f1.7) and several legacy for special usage (Portraiture, close-up, macro, fish-eye etc..). So I do not have huge m4/3 lenses collection which I have to stick. So I'm free to chose something else.

So, do you like blinkeis of NEX more than image magnification of M43? If you can answer this question, you're set

I do not have answer for that since never used NEX’s. I definitely would like to try both, but cannot do it at this moment. That’s a reason I am asking for other opinions.

 YuriS's gear list:YuriS's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,069Gear list
Like?
Re: Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?
In reply to YuriS, Jan 8, 2013

If you're already into M43, I'd say the best for your needs is a camera with good grip. As a G, GH cameras user, I'm biased toward them.

And, yes, I distrust any kind of IS, so you may understand me better.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

 s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Domagoj Batinic
Contributing MemberPosts: 514Gear list
Like?
Re: Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?
In reply to YuriS, Jan 8, 2013

YuriS wrote:

Thank you! That exactly a kind of things I'm looking for... Focal length a tricky issue. When 50mm 1.4 prime become 100mm - is it good for portrait and close-ups, but not for day-by-day usage. And 85mm become 170mm. Complicated question.

i've used jupiter 9 85mm/2 lens for portrait and it's good for head and shoulders portrait

this one was using E-520,on E-M5 would be even better , but FoV is the same. should've used the lens hood, but didn't have one at the time of this shot

-- hide signature --

my gear:
E-M5+45mm/1.8
E-520+12-60+14-42+70-300+Sigma 105 + FL-50R+EC20 + SRF-11
and good number of legacy lenses (list in profile)

 Domagoj Batinic's gear list:Domagoj Batinic's gear list
Olympus D-620L Olympus C-2000 Zoom Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-550 UZ Olympus SP-560 UZ +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
YuriS
Regular MemberPosts: 337Gear list
Like?
Re: Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?
In reply to Domagoj Batinic, Jan 8, 2013

Very nice picture! What kind of Jupiter-9 do you have (M39, M42, white, black)?

 YuriS's gear list:YuriS's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
YuriS
Regular MemberPosts: 337Gear list
Like?
Re: Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?
In reply to s_grins, Jan 8, 2013

Thank you!

 YuriS's gear list:YuriS's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Domagoj Batinic
Contributing MemberPosts: 514Gear list
Like?
Re: Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?
In reply to YuriS, Jan 8, 2013

YuriS wrote:

Very nice picture! What kind of Jupiter-9 do you have (M39, M42, white, black)?

silver m39 SLR version

-- hide signature --

my gear:
E-M5+45mm/1.8
E-520+12-60+14-42+70-300+Sigma 105 + FL-50R+EC20 + SRF-11
and good number of legacy lenses (list in profile)

 Domagoj Batinic's gear list:Domagoj Batinic's gear list
Olympus D-620L Olympus C-2000 Zoom Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-550 UZ Olympus SP-560 UZ +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,510
Like?
NEX only way to go
In reply to YuriS, Jan 8, 2013

Larger sensor means the legacy lenses will be closer to their intended fielld of view.

Plus it has focus peaking.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,920Gear list
Like?
Re: Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?
In reply to YuriS, Jan 8, 2013

YuriS wrote:

Hello everybody!

I know this topic / question already discussed, but I would like to re-open it from different point of view.

I’m enthusiastic photographer (for about 25 years - not professional). Currently I use Olympus E-PL1, my favorite activity – take landscape pictures with Fisheye and, along with my wife, shot art portraitures with legacy manual lenses (especially Minoltas 50mm and 85mm).

http://natalispalette.jimdo.com/photo/minolta-md-rokkor-50mm-f1-4-lens/

http://natalispalette.jimdo.com/photo/samyang-7-5-mm-f3-5-umc-fish-eye-mft/

We decided to upgrade our gear and inputs for our decision are:

  1. Body for $800-$1000.
  2. Mirrorless system to adapt legacy lenses.
  3. Tilt LCD screen, EVF preferable.
  4. As large as possible physical sensor size (not M-pixels).
  5. MF assistance for legacy lenses and Friendly buttons customization / menu.

Two candidates (Olympus OM-D E-M5 and Sony NEX-6) are perfectly fit to me. Besides lens availability (not so important to me – I use legacy and adapters are cheap) there are three major differences:

1. In body stabilization - Olympus OM-D E-M5 win

2. Larger sensor - Sony NEX-6 win

3. About 25% (in Europe) price difference. - Sony NEX-6 win

Does Larger sensor for less money worth more than In body stabilization? M-m-m-m… May be yes. So Sony NEX-6 looks preferable. Or possibly I am missing some other points? Please comment.

4. Focus assist for MF legacy lenses : the Sony has focus peaking (aka a red edge appears in the picture indicating whether you are in focus or not and which parts of the scene ar in focus). I don't know whether the Nex-6 offers magnifying ? Probably too. You can activate a fake focus peaking using the keyline artfilter mode 2 with the E-M5. The focus with magnifier works well with the E-M5, but focus peaking may be another advantage of the Nex6.

5. If you plan to use almost exclusively legacy lenses, you may not care a lot about that, but the MFT system has an impressive lenses line up. And the MFT system IMO has found a sweet spot : a better compromise between sensor size and image IQ on one side and lenses sizes on the other. If you think that you may end using native lenses too, then  the E-M5 is linked to a better system.

6. Thom Hogan has awarded the title of Best serious compact of 2012 to  the E-M5; you can read about the reasons of his choice compared to other mirrorless systems here , including a comparison of the E-M5 advantages over the Nex6.  He thought the focusing wasn't as fast with the Nex6, the E-M5 was offering more flexibility and the Nex6 lacks a touch screen. Read it : it is a good analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of both cameras plus two others.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

 rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads