135mm Legacy Lens opinions wanted

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Discussions
nevada5
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,767Gear list
Like?
135mm Legacy Lens opinions wanted
Jan 8, 2013

I'm considering buying a 135mm lens (to use on my NEX-6). I'm looking at a Pentax M 135 f/3.5 and also a Minolto MD ROKKOR 135 f/3.5.  I know something about the legendary Pentax quality, but not this lens.  And the Minolta 135's are pretty cheap - which makes me concerned.

But I'm not stuck on anything, I have no experience with the Canons or Nikons in this range.

So if you have some knowledge/experience regarding 135mm legacy lenses, feel free to share. Thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --

Hey, it ain't rocket surgery.
Larry
I'm experimenting with Quantum Physics and I just discovered that I can completely destr

Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
clockwork247
Regular MemberPosts: 350Gear list
Like?
Re: 135mm Legacy Lens opinions wanted
In reply to nevada5, Jan 8, 2013

nevada5 wrote:

I'm considering buying a 135mm lens (to use on my NEX-6). I'm looking at a Pentax M 135 f/3.5 and also a Minolto MD ROKKOR 135 f/3.5. I know something about the legendary Pentax quality, but not this lens. And the Minolta 135's are pretty cheap - which makes me concerned.

But I'm not stuck on anything, I have no experience with the Canons or Nikons in this range.

So if you have some knowledge/experience regarding 135mm legacy lenses, feel free to share. Thanks in advance.

-- hide signature --

Larry
I'm experimenting with Quantum Physics and I just discovered that I can completely destr

from what I've heard most if not all 135mm are good.

From what I've seen, the unusual f-stop is more "wanted" for some reason.

for example the f/3.2 lens are more wanted than the f/3.5 version

and the f/2.5 version are more wanted than the f/2.8

but for the most part most manufacture did well with the 135 FL.

clockwork247's gear list:clockwork247's gear list
Canon EOS 20D Nikon D70s Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony SLT-A37 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,714Gear list
Like?
In reply to clockwork247, Jan 8, 2013

I use a Canon FD 135/2.5, also known as a Bell & Howell lens, since it apparently shipped with some special Bell & Howell Canon kit. Anyway, it's heavy as a brick, but I love it. It's also one of the FD lenses on which you can lock the aperture level so that the aperture ring always works, regardless of whether the adapter is in Lock or Open mode. The built-in sliding hood is nice too.

This is one shot I had handy that was taken with it... indoor in a low light arena.

-- hide signature --

Nex-7 with kit lenses, Contax G 35, and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
lesnapanda
Forum MemberPosts: 69Gear list
Like?

I've recently bought a Carl Zeiss Jena 135/3.5 (M42 mount) and I'm pretty happy with the results. It is a bit pain in the ass to focus because of my shaky hands (too much coffee or alcohol I guess ). But apart from that it is great. One thing to note is that at 3.5 it is a somewhat dark lens so you need good lightning conditions to use it (I'd say - daylight). Otherwise tripod + long exposure is a must (I have the first nex 5 wich is not so great at ISO higher than 800)

lesnapanda's gear list:lesnapanda's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN
dbiela
Forum MemberPosts: 97Gear list
Like?

nevada5 wrote:

I'm considering buying a 135mm lens (to use on my NEX-6). I'm looking at a Pentax M 135 f/3.5 and also a Minolto MD ROKKOR 135 f/3.5. I know something about the legendary Pentax quality, but not this lens. And the Minolta 135's are pretty cheap - which makes me concerned.

So if you have some knowledge/experience regarding 135mm legacy lenses, feel free to share.

I have been very happy with the Olympus OM 135mm f2.8 lens. I paid about $75 at a local dealer who had it for a few years and wanted it gone. It was in great shape but did not have the rear lens cap or front cap. It shoots great images and is very small compared to some other lenses of the same mm and f stop. I found it to be good at f2.8 and tops out at f5.6. You want to be on the look out for the OM "MC" for multi coded lens

Shot this in Chicago hand held

dbiela's gear list:dbiela's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N NEX5R Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7R Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +9 more
Lightshow
Senior MemberPosts: 2,470Gear list
Like?

I don't use lenses over 100mm very much, but I do have an R.Topcor 135/3.5 preset that's very sharp, I've heard the RE's are also very sharp.

I was going to get a Canon FD 135 to go with my SSC collection, but they never made one with SSC, the FDn 135's have SSC, and of those I'd get the f2.

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
lowincash
Contributing MemberPosts: 711
Like?

I have the Minolta Rokkor 135mm f2.8 lens. I don't use it much but when I do I love it quite a lot. I used this lens recently when my friend asked me to shoot some pics of him and his gf and dog. I like this lens and it's quite sharp wide open. I might start using this lens more often

-- hide signature --

I only shoot JPEG =]

mkandil
Regular MemberPosts: 481Gear list
Like?
In reply to lowincash, Jan 8, 2013

I like your photo and like the minolta rokkor 135 f2.8 although i used it once only.but I did not found it sharp when wide open but yours looks really good

md rokkor 135mm. no PP out of camera JPEG

Ronbeau
Forum MemberPosts: 90
Like?
In reply to mkandil, Jan 8, 2013

I've been using the Canon FD 135/2.5 SC and have been very happy with it.  There's an old thread on this specific lens.  I've never used others though, so can't really compare.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/42413576

Rbbra
Regular MemberPosts: 153Gear list
Like?

nevada5 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Larry

Hello Nevada5,

Leica 135mm Tele Elmar 1:4 is also very good, already at FA and not too expensive second (third etc.) hand. I use it on the Nex 6, it's not a heavy or bulky lens.

Rbbra

mpetersson
Regular MemberPosts: 355Gear list
Like?

I have the Minolta Rokkor 135mm f3,5, and for the price I don't find anything to complain about. It is slightly soft wide open, but the images sharpen up nicely in post-processing. I got the lens as part of a package with a Rokkor 28mm f2,8 and a Rokkor 50mm f1,7, all are pretty basic lenses but considering all three cost me about 20 USD in total I can't complain, and results are good except from the 28mm. It has serious issues with corner sharpness, but I am suspicious that my copy is flawed.

Anyway, ranting aside you can get the Minolta 135mm dirt cheap and it is a good lens. For the price you could pick one up and try it, if you don't like it you will still have money to spend on another lens. I think you will like it though, mine is silky smooth to focus and the built-in hood is pretty convenient.

mpetersson's gear list:mpetersson's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
OngT8m
Junior MemberPosts: 28
Like?
In reply to Rbbra, Jan 8, 2013

I owned Vivitar 135mm 2.5, IMO it's quite a decent lens, heavy light reflection and purple. In contrast, you got great bokeh and metal build( a little bit heavy on NEX!). Check out some pictures: I'm shot for fun, not pro photographer though. This lens is shaky if you want to use in low light condition, 1/30 is ok but you have to hold your breath or just set iso to 3200 and above

bzx
bzx
Regular MemberPosts: 213Gear list
Like?

I have this lens, I'm pretty sure there are better 135's than this. Personally I think its sharpness isn't great. But as you said, it's cheap - I got it for 20€.

Pictures below are JPEG Fine straight out of NEX-5, just added a bit of contrast in Preview app.

If you're interested in RAWs or anything, let me know.

f3.5

f8.0

-- hide signature --

t[+]m

bzx's gear list:bzx's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +2 more
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,981Gear list
Like?

I got a Vivitar 135/2.8 for cheap.  It's pretty good when stopped-down, but at f2.8 it's unusable for most of what I want it for, as everything just glows and it doesn't seem sharp.  (Could be interesting as a soft-filter effect portrait?  I haven't tried that.)  Seems sharp at f4, but then, I have other lenses I can use around that aperture.  I guess I should try a direct comparison, which I haven't, but between the flexible zoom, more modern coatings (should be less PF) and possibly OSS, it might be worth using another lens at f4 to f5.  If I could find an f2.8 lens that was pretty good at f2.8, it might be worth it for certain situations, though.  My a-mount 55-200 is really good at f4, so unless something else is a lot better, it's probably not worth bothering with.  I now have the E-mount 55-210, but it has a smaller max aperture.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Jokica
Contributing MemberPosts: 569Gear list
Like?

Jupiter 37A is great!

Jokica's gear list:Jokica's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads