X100 owners....

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Discussions
danstern
Regular MemberPosts: 236Gear list
Like?
X100 owners....
Jan 8, 2013

So with the new announcement of the X100s. Whats your gut with what we know? Sell the X100 and move up? My X100 is a special tool to me with a soul but emotions aside I think I will take the plunge and get what I can for my X100 which is against my typical reaction to these announcements but my great experience with the X100 has convinced me. Your thoughts? BTW I've held off the XE1 while waiting for the XPII which based on the X100s Ihave to believe the XPII will be ground breaking...

Thanx...dan'l

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Paul Farace
Contributing MemberPosts: 723Gear list
Like?
Re: X100 owners....
In reply to danstern, Jan 8, 2013

You buy a camera to do a job... is your current camera doing that job? If so, keep it. If it is failing in important aspects, bail on it and get the latest version, if that corrects the problem.  I just got the X100 (black body) a couple of months ago... with the latest firm ware installed yesterday and the new 28mm adaptor on its way... I expect to have many years of happy shooting with my X100 -- it does the job I purchased it to do... (satisfying my RF mojo)...  the new version has some nice features, but nothing worth dumping my version for... I like the idea of the higher-def video, but I don't do much video as it is... and I might like the improved MF provision, but I can use the original version OK and the new version probably isn't that much improved.  I might have put a pop-up flash on the new model... the onboard flash is almost impossible to use, especially if you have the lens shade on as I do...

-- hide signature --

Holding a camera, any camera, reduces my blood pressure, calms my nerves, and gives me a sense of opportunity!

Paul Farace's gear list:Paul Farace's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 650D Fujifilm X-Pro1 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Shomari
Regular MemberPosts: 372Gear list
Like?

My X100 is a keeper.....It's my beautiful "picture taking" baby:-)

It now seems there is a discounted X Pro 1 or XE in the near future for me.  I just love new releases. 

Regards  and Happy New Year,

-- hide signature --

Howard
htree1@suddenlink.net

Shomari's gear list:Shomari's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus XZ-1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D7000 +2 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

danstern wrote:

So with the new announcement of the X100s. Whats your gut with what we know? Sell the X100 and move up? My X100 is a special tool to me with a soul but emotions aside I think I will take the plunge and get what I can for my X100 which is against my typical reaction to these announcements but my great experience with the X100 has convinced me. Your thoughts? BTW I've held off the XE1 while waiting for the XPII which based on the X100s Ihave to believe the XPII will be ground breaking...

Thanx...dan'l

Since there are two completely different sensors in these cameras, they are to me, two machines capable of producing very different types of imagery.  Two different sonic signatures.

This, to me I see no problems keeping both of them.  It's like two different types of digital film.

Sometimes I'll want X100 film, sometimes X100s film.

-- hide signature --

DISCLAIMER: The text written herein is meant to provide the opinions and/or suggestions of the author. No statement herein is meant to be considered law of the land, representative of any party or group, and or a quote from any party or group. Neither is any statement in the contained text meant to be taken as scripture, doctrine, or all encompassing of an entire populous or any groups or individuals therein.

rattymouse's gear list:rattymouse's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F70EXR Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm FinePix X100 +9 more
mgerpe
Regular MemberPosts: 240
Like?

I've had the ability to learn a crazy amount about photography in short time ive had my x100 then any other camera ive owned the past 10 years.

focusing was quirky so in the modern age of digital i learned zone focusing.

focusing was quirky so i learned how to shoot using MF which i thought I knew, but until you do it full time you dont really fully appreciate it.

being limited but not limited to a outstanding and fast fixed 35mm lens.

wasnt the fastest camera in terms of shooting and operation so i learned to spend more time understanding what exactly i wanted to capture and plug in the right settings to take one shot and get it right the first time.

Of course faster AF and faster write speeds are awesome, but if users havent sold their x100's already i doubt they will since its still an amazing little camera.

that being said if i just bought an x100 in the past 60 days and havent spent months learning it, id definitely sell/wait for x100s reviews as its safe to say it will be an upgrade.

-- hide signature --

"Sit loosely in the saddle of life"
http://www.michaelgerpe.com

H Smith
Senior MemberPosts: 1,376Gear list
Like?
In reply to mgerpe, Jan 8, 2013

It suprises me that Fuji dived headlong into the pond with Trans X before the Raw file issues were definitively solved. Maybe something is coming. Until then I love my X100.
Henry F. Smith Jr
Visit my blog at http://henrysmithscottage.wordpress.com

H Smith's gear list:H Smith's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
Hentaiboy
Regular MemberPosts: 180
Like?

Sold my X100 on eBay last week anticipating this release.

If ‘soul’ means quirks and poor design then I’ll take ‘soulless’ thanks.

iamthenewguy
Contributing MemberPosts: 771Gear list
Like?

Keep it. I got my X100 about a month ago brand new for $850 US, which to me is a good price. Even if I could get a 100% refund I wouldn't, because I don't think the upgrades will be worth the extra $400 or so difference. I'm super happy with the X100 so while the new features are nice, they aren't necessary.

iamthenewguy's gear list:iamthenewguy's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 +1 more
jrk
jrk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?

As I mentioned in another thread, I didn't think I would every sell my X100 but the X100s looks to make a liar out of me.  If the hands-on reviews validate the promises, I'm going for it.

jrk's gear list:jrk's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +7 more
paulcraig
Regular MemberPosts: 316Gear list
Like?

I'm keeping my X100.

The images it produces are stunning, but there's more to a camera than photos. I like how the X100 is a known quantity-quirky, but predictable. I like the support in Lightroom, DxO Optics, and others for its raw files.

A new camera is a whole new set of quirks, mistakes, and issues to be resolved. Hopefully the issues with the X-Trans sensor get worked out and more developers support it better (hello Adobe...)  but for now this isn't a must-have upgrade for me.

paulcraig's gear list:paulcraig's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 +2 more
Mr Gadget
Senior MemberPosts: 1,667
Like?

My take on the X100s is that it is a hardware fix for preceived focus issues and a higher resolution sensor. With my style of shooting, I have not had a problem with getting good focus and I havent found the need for more resolution at this time, so I am planning on keepingnwhat has become my favorite camera.

I would like an X-E1s version when it comes out so I can have an interchangable lens camera with exceptional low noise high ISO performance to finally upgrade my D2x. Finally gave up on Nikon ever producing a D400.  I am guessing that we will see the X-E1s version by this fall.

-- hide signature --

Conrad --------------------------------------------------- Show Low, Arizona

Trevor Kloeden
Contributing MemberPosts: 973Gear list
Like?

danstern wrote:

Thanx...dan'l

I was an early adopter for the X100 and love the cam and have taken many pics with it for my blog. It stays no matter what else I purchase.

I watched the Sony RX1 with great interest but with the release of the X100s it blows the RX1 out of the water for my own personal reasons such as price, VF options (Main Plus), Fuji colours, etc.

But as I am in no hurry, I will watch the first batch of X100s reviews and then make my decision (But looking dam good so far...).

All this while I continue to shoot with the X100, my favourite camera of all time.

We shall see....

PS: At this point in time I have no interest in the XE1/2 or XPro1/2.

Trevor Kloeden
Aussie retired in the Philippines
https://trevorkloeden.wordpress.com
http://trevor.kloeden.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26503291@N03/sets/

Trevor Kloeden's gear list:Trevor Kloeden's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D100 +4 more
ArneMarco
Senior MemberPosts: 1,694
Like?

The X100 has given me so much joy in shooting and yields so good image results, that I will keep it anyhow. I suppose the X100s will be quite different on many points so I think both cameras will have a right to exist in my bag of tools ... and because I do have the X100, no hurry to buy the new one. I will certainly await some firmware updates etc. Maybe it will become mature enough at the end of this year.

-- hide signature --
Photozopia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,302
Like?

By the time my X100 is totally outdated by some future hike in sensor development the X100s itself will also be redundant. I'm sure the pixel-peepers will brag about the improved resolution of the new kid on the block, but I find little to criticise in the original camera's output or overall design.

A newer faster optic (an f1.4 or better) or of different focal length on the X100s - might have altered this viewpoint slightly.

In much the same way as the output of the XPro or XE-1 is not quantum light-years in advance of the X100, I find the X100s to be only a 'MKII version' of it's sibling ... 'improved' largely for those who did not have the good sense to buy the original.

dmartin92
Senior MemberPosts: 1,453Gear list
Like?
I'll wait 9 or 12 months

I just got back, yesterday, from a 4 day trip to Amsterdam, The Hague, and Brussels ... the only camera that I had with me was my X100.

Today, looking at the photos, from the X100 that I have owned for the last 18 months ... wow ! it's a great camera.

Maybe I'll get a X100S, next fall, or in 12 months, but I am too attached to my X100 to sell it.

I'll get a X100S, and use that, and then if the new camera ever gets stolen or damaged, etc, I'll still have the old X100.

But there's no rush.

dmartin92's gear list:dmartin92's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 20mm f/2.8 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
EricWN
Contributing MemberPosts: 883
Like?

I'll keep my X100 too, although the 100s is a nice and solid upgrade. But for my needs it's not substantial enough an update to justify the purchase.

ken71
Contributing MemberPosts: 667Gear list
Like?
In reply to EricWN, Jan 8, 2013

EricWN wrote:

I'll keep my X100 too, although the 100s is a nice and solid upgrade. But for my needs it's not substantial enough an update to justify the purchase.

all i am looking for is better and truer manual focus. it would be worth double the cost to me if i can turn that stupid little ring amd get real focus  heck i would buy it if it focused as well as my gx1 in manual. this is coming from a guy who has the 1600 black x100

ken71's gear list:ken71's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Casio Exilim EX-P700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Epson R-D1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 +1 more
MayaTlab0
Contributing MemberPosts: 901
Like?
In reply to ken71, Jan 8, 2013

I was expecting a much more extensive redesign of the body. Unfortunately, that's not the case, so I'm not sure about buying it.

Sulis2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,035
Like?
In reply to MayaTlab0, Jan 8, 2013

I'm not sure quite what you'd want redesigned about the body - I'd rather all Fuji's additional investment was in better technology (AF, processor, phase detect) and correction of obvious issues (re-order MF/CF/SF switch, move AF select button, make A speed more separate, add Q menu, etc.).

About the only change I'd make would be to add a detent to the exposure compensation dial - they made it stiffer, but it would still be nice to know by feel when I'm back to zero.

Oh, and recess the strap attachment rings.

Rob13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,116Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sulis2, Jan 8, 2013

For my own needs the enhancements while impressive are not enough for me to replace my X100.

I've come to the conclusion that my time is better spent by taking more pictures than struggling with the issue of whether to replace my existing gear with newer gear.

Now if I didn't already have an X100, I'd be all over the X100s.

-- hide signature --

Best,
Rob
------------------------------------
R3A M7 M9 X-Pro1 E-M5 X100 DP2

Rob13's gear list:Rob13's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Samsung Galaxy S4 Sony Xperia ZR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads