The new Fuji X100S looks like it could give the RX1 some competition.

Started Jan 7, 2013 | Discussions
Richard Spangler
Contributing MemberPosts: 652
Like?
The new Fuji X100S looks like it could give the RX1 some competition.
Jan 7, 2013

The lens and sensor may not be as good but everything else looks pretty sweet and not to mention half the price.

Fujifilm X100S Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
h00ligan
Senior MemberPosts: 3,079
Like?
Re: The new Fuji X100S looks like it could give the RX1 some competition.
In reply to Richard Spangler, Jan 7, 2013

Agreed.  Provided raw support get sorted out.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,492Gear list
Like?

Richard Spangler wrote:

The lens and sensor may not be as good but everything else looks pretty sweet and not to mention half the price.

Richard,

Don't you already own a x100?

Have you placed an order for the X100S?

Do you think it will steal sales away from the RX1?

regards.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
The Smoking Camera
Senior MemberPosts: 1,368Gear list
Like?

Agree 100%. Both the Fuji x100 and Sony Rx1 are wonderful cameras with lots of capabilities and a few shortcomings. I've been impressed with Fuji's commitment and I fully expect the x100s to take a bite out of Rx1 sales. I would be happy with either one.

-- hide signature --

Joe
www.thesmokingcamera.com

chong4321
Regular MemberPosts: 168
Like?
In reply to Len_Gee, Jan 7, 2013

Price wise definitely will steal from RX1. performance wise, if all its claims for fast AF and better controls, fast start up time, etc. are true, plus hybrid viewcam and new manual focus method, plus with its decent APS-C sensor. I would pick the X100S over RX1 unfortunately. but I'm still getting the RX100 (not fuji X100) bec of budget constraint and portability issue.  I like my camera in my belt loop.

Richard Spangler
Contributing MemberPosts: 652
Like?
In reply to Len_Gee, Jan 8, 2013

Len_Gee wrote:

Richard Spangler wrote:

Richard,

Don't you already own a x100? RX100

Have you placed an order for the X100S? Not available until end of march

Do you think it will steal sales away from the RX1? It might.  Time will tell but it sure looks good on paper.  See the front news page on dpreview for details.

regards.

theranman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,102
Like?
In reply to chong4321, Jan 8, 2013

chong4321 wrote:

Price wise definitely will steal from RX1. performance wise, if all its claims for fast AF and better controls, fast start up time, etc. are true, plus hybrid viewcam and new manual focus method, plus with its decent APS-C sensor. I would pick the X100S over RX1 unfortunately. but I'm still getting the RX100 (not fuji X100) bec of budget constraint and portability issue. I like my camera in my belt loop.

Will patiently wait for the RX200. Well, maybe not so patiently.

DFPanno
Senior MemberPosts: 2,690Gear list
Like?
Agree.
In reply to Richard Spangler, Jan 8, 2013
 DFPanno's gear list:DFPanno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
ekaton
Regular MemberPosts: 381Gear list
Like?
Re: Agree.
In reply to DFPanno, Jan 8, 2013

FF and an exquisite Sonnar lens! The X100 is a great little camera and the "S" looks even better on paper. But the RX1 is in a different category. As far as price is concerned, it's simply the law of diminishing returns which shows here. For the (little) extra the Sony offers one simply has to accept the steep difference in price.

ekaton's gear list:ekaton's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill RX100 III Nikon Df +1 more
jlf
jlf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,422
Like?
Huh? Not a FF camera.

Not sure why.

The fact it has an APS-C sensor with a 23mm f/2 lens means it competes with all the other APS-C cameras and not the FF RX1.

You don't need to wait for the X100S to pick up a capable and compact APS-C camera at half the price of an RX1.

The magic of the RX1 is a FF sensor in a compact body with a quality lens...without the FF sensor the magic is gone.

j.

-- hide signature --

'The soul never thinks without an image.' - Aristotle
www.johnfurlan.com

barjohn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,092Gear list
Like?
In reply to ekaton, Jan 8, 2013

ekaton wrote:

FF and an exquisite Sonnar lens! The X100 is a great little camera and the "S" looks even better on paper. But the RX1 is in a different category. As far as price is concerned, it's simply the law of diminishing returns which shows here. For the (little) extra the Sony offers one simply has to accept the steep difference in price.

I agree.  However, for some, I'm sure that the small difference may not be worth it and they will now opt for the X100s if it does all of the things claimed.  I think Sony better get a firmware upgrade out soon to address things like the AF and startup time on the RX1 to name a few.  For now, I will hold on to the RX1 but if Sony ignores the issues and the X100s actually provides the performance that was originally promised, I may have to sell it and replace it with the X100s.  I owned the X100 and really liked its size, portability and the hybrid VF.  I hated the AF and the MF was a complete joke.  Performance when writing image to card and slow start up, poor EVF and other issues really impacted its usability.  Maybe now they are finally getting it.  We will have to wait and see.

-- hide signature --

John
Visit my web gallery at:
www.barjohn.com/My Photographs/index.html
Comments and critiques welcome.

barjohn's gear list:barjohn's gear list
Olympus XZ-1
LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 10,449
Like?
In reply to barjohn, Jan 8, 2013

The PDAF on sensor is useless in low light and indoors like the Nex-6...it sounds really good..."on paper"...if the high ISO is no better than the X100 then the RX1 still trumps it easily, from all the high ISO samples I viewed on IR...the X100 samples looked horrendous...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,651Gear list
Like?
In reply to LTZ470, Jan 8, 2013

New X00s sensor would be same as XE1 sensor plus the PDAF pixels.

XE1 does ISO6400 easily and has super good low light performance. Almost at Nikon FF levels.

Greg.

LTZ470
Like?
Re: Not even close...at ISO 3200
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, Jan 8, 2013

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

New X00s sensor would be same as XE1 sensor plus the PDAF pixels.

XE1 does ISO6400 easily and has super good low light performance. Almost at Nikon FF levels.

Greg.

Check out ISO 3200 Samples Image Resources for both cameras (not even mentioning 6400)...Fuji's are not even close?...I always thought they were top of the line, but after a few comparison's I wasn't too impressed....

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Trevor Kloeden
Contributing MemberPosts: 983Gear list
Like?

Richard Spangler wrote:

I for one have put the RX1 on hold until the X100s is released and tested by everyday users.

I am a current X100 user and love that camera.

Hard decision given that they are two different sensor cameras.

We shall see.....

Trevor Kloeden
Aussie retired in the Philippines
https://trevorkloeden.wordpress.com
http://trevor.kloeden.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26503291@N03/sets/

Trevor Kloeden's gear list:Trevor Kloeden's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D100 +4 more
LTZ470
Like?
In reply to Trevor Kloeden, Jan 8, 2013

Am I missing something?...

RX1 ISO 3200

XE1 ISO 3200

-- hide signature --

FlickR Photostream:

Moti
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,375
Like?
In reply to LTZ470, Jan 8, 2013

LTZ470 wrote:

Am I missing something?...

Oh yes, you are missing few things.

First, I would take these comparisons with a pinch of salt because they are not accurate. If you use the DPR Studio Comparison tool, you'll be surprised to see that it is actually the RX1 that is a bit noisier at 3200, esp in the blue channel. So who is right?

Moreover, I have extensively tried out the XPRO-1 for two days, and without any comparison to any camera, ISO 3200 and 6400 results are nothing less than amazing any way you look at them so this is really a non issue. The X100s has the same sensor.

What you are also missing is a fantastic hybrid optical / electronic viewfinder and better AF performance - wet dreams for many RX1 users, plus some other goodies.

All this, combined with a better price tag, make the X100s a very serious competitor to the RX1 to every photographer who is looking for a high quality 35mm fixed lens camera, in a small package.

Cheers
Moti

-- hide signature --
teseg
Senior MemberPosts: 2,045Gear list
Like?
In reply to Moti, Jan 8, 2013

...and then there is body style to consider.  I'm just not into carrying around a retro-Leica knock-off.

teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1
pede59
Contributing MemberPosts: 832
Like?

Richard Spangler wrote:

Why do you believe this camera will compete with the RX1 vs. NEX (or M4/3)? Just because it is a fixed lens system?

I believe that most people who are interested in the RX1 want a compact FF camera with extremely high IQ.

Moti
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,375
Like?
In reply to teseg, Jan 8, 2013

teseg wrote:

...and then there is body style to consider. I'm just not into carrying around a retro-Leica knock-off.

That is a consideration, like many others. I carry around a camera to take photos and not to show off so honestly, I couldn't care less even if my camera looks like a frog as long as it does what it is designed to do.

And btw, this retro style is much more ergonomic and comfortable to use than a p&s style as the RX1 is, which is another advantage of the X100s I haven't mentioned.

Moti

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads