New MX-1, good name, good idea ... wrong execution !

Started Jan 7, 2013 | Discussions
leopold
Forum ProPosts: 12,368Gear list
Like?
New MX-1, good name, good idea ... wrong execution !
Jan 7, 2013

When i saw that name Pentax MX-1, i said to myself... yes Pentax did it

But when i saw the camera and the specs ......

They screwed it !!!

If they wanted to remind us of the great MX (still have my black MX), they should have gone all the way, more like Fuji X series !

- Bigger sensor (APS-C)

- Fixed lens but a fast prime

- OR interchangeable lenses but a small body with old control wheels more like the K-01 but with 2 wheels (shutter speed and apertures)

- EVF, focus peaking and a great LCD.

- Hybrid AF

Deception

leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
Pentax K-01 Pentax MX-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
anthony mazzeri
Senior MemberPosts: 1,632
Like?
Re: New MX-1, good name, good idea ... wrong execution !
In reply to leopold, Jan 7, 2013

leopold wrote:

- Bigger sensor (APS-C)

- OR interchangeable lenses but a small body with old control wheels more like the K-01 but with 2 wheels (shutter speed and apertures)

Be patient. This is the first actual Pentax Ricoh camera off the ranks post-Hoya.

I think this is a clear indication of the way they want to go with their designs now. I fully expect all their new cameras like the GXR replacement or new MILC to have the same retro styling.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
leopold
Like?
Anthony....

Hi,

the think is that the camera looks good for a compact design with a bigger sensor than the other ones.

But i think they should not have named it MX-1, they should reserved the MX name for a camera for serious photographers with an APS-C sensor at least... unless they come-up  with an LX-1 ???

Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,245Gear list
Like?

Let's wait and see Steeve, the backlit sensor in the Q is impressive for its size and this is a lot bigger. The real boost will come with the backlit APSc sensors, when they arrive you would have to question the need for FF.

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
leopold
Like?
Dean....
In reply to ozdean, Jan 7, 2013

Will see, but i see no use for me for this camera, i'm lurking more and more at Fuji to replace my "compact" camera (Sony NEX-3).

Hope Pentax will bring something exciting soon!

mamiyaRB67dennis
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
Re: Dean....

The damn thing doesnt even have a hot shoe,aps-c with a fixed lens would be great.

paulkienitz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,727Gear list
Like?
but look on the bright side

It must be a serious camera, because the sensor is bigger than the one in the Q.

-- hide signature --

Q with 02 zoom and cheap K adapter
K10D, Sig 17-70, DA 55-300, FA 50/1.4 "Billy Bass"
discards: DA 50-200 "zipper", F 100-300, Sigma 135-400 "piglet", M 400/5.6 "the Great Truncheon"

paulkienitz's gear list:paulkienitz's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +4 more
jimrpdx
Senior MemberPosts: 2,876Gear list
Like?
Re: but look on the bright side
In reply to paulkienitz, Jan 8, 2013

OK we now know a half-dozen people it was notmade for - only a few million potential customers to go!

And if the price gets cut in half like the K-01, a few unhappy folks 'round here will buy one anyway.  I know I tried to dislike it but at less than the MX-1 it's a steal, and the thing I hated weren't so hateful after all... turns out I can live with myselfand the K-01.

-- hide signature --

Jim in Oregon -- K5/K-01 user, Alpha a200 & Lumix m4:3 veteran
talking to myself at http://granitix.blogspot.com

jimrpdx's gear list:jimrpdx's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 II
anthony mazzeri
Senior MemberPosts: 1,632
Like?
Re: Anthony....
In reply to leopold, Jan 8, 2013

leopold wrote:

Hi,

the think is that the camera looks good for a compact design with a bigger sensor than the other ones.

But i think they should not have named it MX-1, they should reserved the MX name for a camera for serious photographers with an APS-C sensor at least... unless they come-up with an LX-1 ???

Or, they could call it the KR after the similar looking Ricoh SLRs back then. Except K-r has already been used by Pentax..

Whichever name they choose, a new DSLR using this old-style brass plates design will be very interesting I think.

And I'm also starting to picture a Pentax WR MILC with EVF akin to the OM-D now with this design. Maybe that will be the this fabled new Ricoh camera that's been mentioned. Actually, I fully expect it now! 

mauritsvw
Senior MemberPosts: 1,016Gear list
Like?
Should've been the ME-II

Me too, get it?

As also an owner of a black MX, I also felt a bit miffed that the MX moniker was used for a fixed lens compact, instead of a more "professional" interchangeable lens mirrorless system. But the LX-badge is probably reserved for that.

But it looks like quite a nice offering in its category, I must say.

mauritsvw's gear list:mauritsvw's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Pentax K-5 +1 more
leopold
Like?
In reply to jimrpdx, Jan 8, 2013

For me it's a no, the smallest sensor i need/ want is APS-C so that i can send the photos to my Stock Agency .

miles green
Senior MemberPosts: 3,465Gear list
Like?

leopold wrote:

They screwed it !!!

If they wanted to remind us of the great MX (still have my black MX), they should have gone all the way, more like Fuji X series !

- Bigger sensor (APS-C)

- Hybrid AF

Deception

Steeve, you're describing a completely different camera, aiming at a different clientelle! But i agree that the name "MX" would be a better fit for the camera you're describing.

I like the looks of the MX-1, and would like a pocketable zoom p&s. As for the lack of Evf and hot shoe, i don't care: in practice, i don't think i'd ever bother with either. I'd just take the K5!

As for IQ, my guess is that it will be just like the Olympus ZX-2. Almost the same size, lens, and sensor (?)... I see fewer control wheels on the Oly, but it is more expandable...

The brass top confirms my gut feeling that Leica is on Ricoh-Pentax's target... (I say no more).

-- hide signature --

Miles Green
Pentaxian with chronic LBA
Corfu, Greece

miles green's gear list:miles green's gear list
Pentax K-5 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +9 more
ozdean
Forum ProPosts: 20,245Gear list
Like?
Re: Dean....

I suspect it will be better than we first think. I'd rather a good fixed zoom than a fixed prime and the range is the most commonly used for a walk around/street/travel camera.

-- hide signature --

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR +7 more
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,160Gear list
Like?
In reply to ozdean, Jan 8, 2013

ozdean wrote:

Let's wait and see Steeve, the backlit sensor in the Q is impressive for its size and this is a lot bigger. The real boost will come with the backlit APSc sensors, when they arrive you would have to question the need for FF.

-- hide signature --

I made this mistake a while back with the Samsung EX2f, back lit sensors are of very marginal benefit on larger pixel sensors.  They are best for 1/2.3" sensors or smaller (really based on pixel pitch, maybe if the MX-1 was 20 MP it would really need BSI). Aptina I think published a white paper on this.

The reason BSI isn't needed on larger pixels is the microlens on the sensor channels the light down through the circuitry to the sensel and on larger pixels the circuitry is a smaller percentage of the overal sensel area so there is less need for back lit sensors (especially with efficient microlenses).  So until we get up to our 150 MP APS-C sensors we probably won't need BSI on APS-C (rough guess on number, but could figure out based on pixel pitch best for BSI).

I am curious as to what the MX-1 will score with the BSI sensor, since DXOMark doesn't test Samsung anymore, maybe they will test that.  Based on sensor dimensions and resolution it would appear that the EX2f and MX-1 share the same 1/1.7" BSI sensor.

I think they should have saved the MX-1 name for something like the Sony RX1 as well, it would have a lot more impact.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)
See my Blog at: http://www.erphotoreview.com/ (bi-weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
rogerstpierre
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,340Gear list
Like?
Too little, too late (nt)
-- hide signature --

Roger

rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax Optio 33WR Samsung TL500 Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 +16 more
Donald B
Senior MemberPosts: 3,166Gear list
Like?
Re: Too little, too late (nt)
In reply to rogerstpierre, Jan 8, 2013

ive had one of these for 18months now. but it has the name xz1 on it. just looked at the lens and its identical to my oly. well at least we now the iq from this  will be impressive. even in low light. as the reports on the xz2 look good.

cheers don

-- hide signature --

another year has gone, just cleared my 200 gallery images will start all over again, thanks to everyone that took the time to look.

MegaPower
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?

A fixed lens and small sensor will never be as great as the MX.

I still have my black MX, too.

Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,118Gear list
Like?

Hi Steve,

I don't care about the name - it has no relationship whatsoever to the 35mm film MX anyway - not a cracker.

I agree with you about your general sentiments on the design of a mirrorless ILC that would interest me, but this MX-1 is aimed squarely at the enthusiast compact market with its small sensor. Can it take on the G15, P7700, and Oly XZ2?  Don't know - time will tell.

In larger sensored ILC/CSCs, I think one only has to look at Fuji's APSC X series to learn how to do mirrorless well

• The fixed prime X100 had an excellent lens and senor, but some operational niggles and glitches.  The X100s announced this week seems to have advanced the camera beyond expectations (if the new AF and sensor developments bear out their claims).  
  • The ILC X Pro1 was an ambitious camera, with hybrid OVF/EVF. but too dear for many enthusiasts
  • The smaller XE1 with its 2.4mpx EVF hit the nail on the head.  It's selling so well that Fuji has had to suspend production of its lenses for two months to concentrate on the XE1 kit with zoom.
  • High grade short registration lenses, including what is arguably the best kit zoom on the market.

One can only assume that the XPro2 and XE2 will get the benefits of the on-sensor PDAF, focus peaking, and PDAF-driven visual aid to MF when those models are upgraded.

If I have a complaint about the X series (and the NEX 6 &7s) it's that they are not WR - which for premium priced cameras is something of a let down.  It's not quite a deal beaker, but I accept it only with some reluctance.

Now imagine if that had been Pentax and they'd developed a full function K mount adapter.  (This isn't a new idea - it's been suggested for several years.)  Canon have gone ahead and made just such an adapter for their DSLR lenses to operate with all functions on the EOS M ILC.

With the ending of the K01 production, I'll be interested to see what Pentax offer next in the APSC mirrorless line.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
DLBlack
Forum ProPosts: 10,951Gear list
Like?

leopold wrote:

They screwed it !!!

- Bigger sensor (APS-C)

- Hybrid AF

Deception

I totally agree with you.  It is a pretty camera but is just another "me to" camera that is missing a few key things like a hotshoe and an accessory port for an evf.  A bigger sensor, weather sealing faster kens and wifi connevtivity would all be things that could make the camera a little different that the others camera out there.  I always thougt Pentax phase was to "think differently".  Still it looks like a nice camera but not one for me.   Thing again I really didn't expect a camera for me to be announced atpma@ces.  I do expect one to be announced at cp+.

Dave

DLBlack's gear list:DLBlack's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +25 more
mgm2
Regular MemberPosts: 333
Like?

Just curious, could you elaborate on the stock agency comment?  I don't see the size of the image rendered as a problem?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads