JOBY GorillaPod mini tripods

Started Jan 7, 2013 | Discussions
baneling
Senior MemberPosts: 1,152Gear list
Like?
JOBY GorillaPod mini tripods
Jan 7, 2013

Hi all, i'm look at this tripod with those legs that bend.  For those who own one, can you quickly and easily straighten the legs?  Is there a better option than this?  I don't necessarily need the fancy bendy legs.

http://joby.com/gorillapod/ballhead#images

-- hide signature --

http://500px.com/baneling
Canon T3i
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS

baneling's gear list:baneling's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
nkistrup
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
Re: JOBY GorillaPod mini tripods (dust collector)
In reply to baneling, Jan 8, 2013

Have one for Canon G12.  Like using the monopod better.

Problem with the GorillaPod is that it takes time to wrap the legs around something, securely.  This results in a very slow setup.  Can deploy my tripod quicker.

Didn't trash mine because I can using it while hiking, to get the camera into positions that would be difficult otherwise.

nkistrup's gear list:nkistrup's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
baneling
Like?
In reply to nkistrup, Jan 8, 2013

but once the legs are all curled up, are they designed in a way so that they can be easily straightened into a standard looking tripod?  or is like straightening a pipe cleaner?

-- hide signature --

Canon T3i

Canon EOS 600D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
jorisbens
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
In reply to baneling, Jan 8, 2013

I really like my gorillapod, but i would say it's like trying to straighten a pipe cleaner.

No problem for me, since I have the ball head aswell, so I don't need perfectly straight legs on my gorillapod for level shots.

jorisbens's gear list:jorisbens's gear list
Canon PowerShot A590 IS
baneling
Like?
In reply to jorisbens, Jan 10, 2013

yes I now agree.  i seen a video of it and you don't really need perfectly straight legs if you have a ball head. problem is that this tripod is about $40 without a head.  I think that's a little to expensive for me.  how much is a ballhead?

-- hide signature --

Canon T3i

nkistrup
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
In reply to baneling, Jan 11, 2013

Just looking at B&H Photo's web site, there is one that is over $1100.

After I found a few tripods that I liked, found myself over whelmed by the ball head choices.

nkistrup's gear list:nkistrup's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 +1 more
Russell Evans
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,598
Like?
Re: JOBY GorillaPod mini tripods
In reply to baneling, Jan 12, 2013

baneling wrote:

Is there a better option than this? I don't necessarily need the fancy bendy legs.

I really like using the Pedco Ultrapod II with my DSLR setup.  I have a Kirk 1.75" QR clamp on the Ultrapod II below with a L-bracket on the camera. That's a Pentax DA * 50-135mm f2.8 on the Pentax K20D in the first shot, so it is a 1485g/ 3.3 pound setup in the Ultrapod II, not counting the 250g for the QR plate. The funny black thing in the landscape orientation shot is a DIY black craft foam and silver Mylar bounce for the on board flash.

Thank you
Russell

Pileot
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
In reply to baneling, Jan 18, 2013

I have the gorillapod SLR Zoom which comes with a ballhead that works reasonably well for the $60 it cost me (total package).

Deploying the gorillapod does take a little time however if you are in a low light situation (museum, for instance), or at a open air concert and want to record the event from a higher standpoint (maybe on a stretty lamp or other similar post) the gorillapod would work excellent.

As far as something that is easy to use and versatile, the gorillapod is always hanging on my bag "Just in case". If you pass a fountain you want to overexpose, or want to get a self shot standing in the scene its great without worrying about a larger tripod that could get in the way or be cumbersome to carry.

It does have limitations, its not very large, it does take time to set up, you may have to tinker a fair bit to get a level shot, there is some trial and error involved.

Overall, im very happy with it. I had a specific need and this tool overcomes that need. It wont do everything but it does what its intended to do very well and the build quality is much higher than similar products from other brands.

baneling
Like?
In reply to Pileot, Jan 18, 2013

I saw a video of someone using it and it seems very easy to set up.  just stand it up as straight as you can and if its tilting to one side because the legs are not perfectly straight, just use the ball head to straighten the camera.

-- hide signature --

Canon T3i

markgv
Regular MemberPosts: 109Gear list
Like?
In reply to baneling, Feb 20, 2013

I've been looking at the Joby Gorillapod SLR-Zoom, but to get the one w/ the ball head (which I definitely want), price is $80 for something I wouldn't use all that much. So, trying to find something cheaper, I'm looking at the following.

• Magnus MegaGrip - $30 w/out a head and $38 w/ a little Oben head (though not quick release). It says 3.3 lbs capacity, so I'm think it should be okay for my Pentax K-x and lens at about 2lbs, but I'm wondering if anyone else has used it.
  • Bower Flexible Bendipod - $25 and says it will hold up to 5lbs and comes with head w/ quick release. I can't find any reviews on this one at all.

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

markgv's gear list:markgv's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-30 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads