Strange colored film negatives among good ones

Started Jan 7, 2013 | Discussions
Dan Hudson
Regular MemberPosts: 256Gear list
Like?
Strange colored film negatives among good ones
Jan 7, 2013

I am not new to film photography, but it has been years since shooting film. I am familiar with teaching black and white photography along with processing the film. I have had no experience with color processing other than finding a good processor. I shot about 3 rolls of color negative film at Jekyll Island during the last few days. I am shooting with a Canon EOS Rebel G with a 28-80mm lens. Most all negatives turned out great as to color, except for the ones of the Brunswick bridge. I will try to include the original and my post processed result. The negatives of this bridge are greenish, especially the bridge which of course produced redish positive images. These are the only ones out of about 40 shots on the same film....Fugi 200 35mm. Wish I could find some 100 speed film. Help if you can and many thanks.

This is the result of the un retouched negative

Result after much post processing.

-- hide signature --

Christian Amateur Photographer

Dan Hudson's gear list:Dan Hudson's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD780 IS Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon Coolpix P7700 +1 more
drh681
Forum ProPosts: 10,536
Like?
Re: Strange colored film negatives among good ones
In reply to Dan Hudson, Jan 7, 2013

It looks to me as if you made the original shot late or early in the day.

That being the case, it is to be expected that the color would be substantially more red.

It's not a color failure in the film, just your memory.

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
Gravitons no longer shipped outside US or Canada
-----.....------
You got a camera, now go out and get a life; or at least a picture of one!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Barrie Davis
Forum ProPosts: 21,460
Like?
In reply to Dan Hudson, Jan 7, 2013

Dan Hudson wrote:

I am not new to film photography, but it has been years since shooting film. I am familiar with teaching black and white photography along with processing the film. I have had no experience with color processing other than finding a good processor. I shot about 3 rolls of color negative film at Jekyll Island during the last few days. I am shooting with a Canon EOS Rebel G with a 28-80mm lens. Most all negatives turned out great as to color, except for the ones of the Brunswick bridge. I will try to include the original and my post processed result. The negatives of this bridge are greenish, especially the bridge which of course produced redish positive images. These are the only ones out of about 40 shots on the same film....Fugi 200 35mm. Wish I could find some 100 speed film. Help if you can and many thanks.

This is the result of the un retouched negative

Result after much post processing.

Look at the film's clear rebate, where the frame numbers are. Is that also greenish around the frame in question, as compared with the rest of the roll?

If so, it is likely the film was either incorrectly processed in part, (fogged by a weak red light?) or perhaps badly stored since processing... (some chemical vapours from polyurethane varnish can create green colouration in film negs stored in wooden drawers coated with the stuff.)

If not, then the green (red) was caused by something altering the light entering the lens... most likely natural cause was shooting when the sun was close to the horizon...

.... or it's just possible you put on strong warm-up filter of some kind, say, one meant to enhance sunsets? Of course, if you were shooting around sunset, it could be BOTH!

Note: Your post processing appears a little too light in the actual bridge uprights against the sky.

Also, please note: I'm happy to answer your enquiries to the best of my ability, even without the knowledge that the photography was carried out by a Christian, thanks all the same.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

BobSC
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,292
Like?
In reply to drh681, Jan 7, 2013

You have captured sunrise. That's what it's supposed to look like

Dan Hudson
Like?
In reply to Barrie Davis, Jan 7, 2013

Strange, after all the times I have posted, you are the first person to respond to my signature in a negative way. In fact you are the only person to respond to it at all. I appreciate your photographic response, but your comment to my signature is a kick in the butt and not favorably accepted in the context of our photographic exchange of information. Being more open minded, I accept every ones signatures except for those brandishing offensive language. Then too, I might respond as you have. We are speaking photography here, not criticism of the way we present ourselves. Why did you not find fault with the other word I used...."Amateur" ? It does not touch home and is not a stumbling block, is it? Anyway we have had our say, let's move on in the world of photography. Thanks for your help, it is well received.

-- hide signature --

Dan Hudson
Like?
In reply to Dan Hudson, Jan 8, 2013

Thanks all for the great informative answers. I believe you hit it right that it is a natural effect of film not reacting correctly to the late afternoon light. Thanks again....Dan

-- hide signature --

Dan Hudson
Like?

If I may continue this thread with another problem concerning film, here goes.....I don't seem to be able to get quality focused images at over 50% and they have considerable grain and other artifacts especially in the sky. I have tried several scanning ppi settings from 300 to 2400+ with adjustment for target size of the image, but with the same poor effects. I get bigger images, but not better. I thought I would get better enlargements from film than from my digital cameras. My scanner is an Epson Perfection V500 Photo. I do not use any scanner enhancement. My images are good in smaller sizes. Thanks for your continued help.

-- hide signature --

AnandaSim
Forum ProPosts: 13,422Gear list
Like?

Dan Hudson wrote:

If I may continue this thread with another problem concerning film, here goes.....I don't seem to be able to get quality focused images at over 50% and they have considerable grain and other artifacts especially in the sky. I have tried several scanning ppi settings from 300 to 2400+ with adjustment for target size of the image, but with the same poor effects. I get bigger images, but not better. I thought I would get better enlargements from film than from my digital cameras. My scanner is an Epson Perfection V500 Photo. I do not use any scanner enhancement. My images are good in smaller sizes. Thanks for your continued help.

I get that too. I see awesome scans by other people and often feel jealous. Here are my thoughts:

1. The grain was always there, even when I shot film on colour transparencies and black and white negs enlarged onto paper. With paper, I could not afford paper bigger than 16x20. With colour transparencies, I think the screens or wall and the projection lens in the projector could be more crummy than the transparencies. Now we are in digital world. We can easily hit magnify on a slider and the computer can magnify with cruel accuracy and we see the grain more.

2. Other people are shooting 120 roll film or larger - they have less grain.

3. Other people are using drum scanners with high gamma density hardware - I've been told of Fuji Frontier drum scanners at the shops run extra slow to for your 35mm film. Our domestic scanners are nowhere near the quality.

4. The increase of scanning ppi is artificial - it increases the resolution / dots AFTER the scanner eye has done it's work. The scanner eye and transport mechanism are nowhere as great as what it says on the box.

Digital is way superior to 35mm film for me for several years already - I get no tramlines (from the processing machine's scraping of the film), hair and dust (I don't use kid gloves) and no grain. Even with lower range digital cameras.

AnandaSim's gear list:AnandaSim's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +15 more
Dan Hudson
Like?
In reply to AnandaSim, Jan 8, 2013

AnandaSim, Very enlightening material. Thanks for writing it. I have several digital cameras, just thought I would get good results from film. It all started when I decided to get a better scanner to record all my slides. It grew into the purchase of 2 film cameras, quite a bit of film not to mention a 28-80mm lens. I am not ready to give up yet, but probably will soon. What possible advantages does film have and will I get better results when I start shooting the two rolls of slide film I have? It seems so far in most circumstances that film requires less post processing....good contrast and color right out of the camera. Am I fooling myself? Thanks again for the great information....Dan

-- hide signature --

BobSC
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,292
Like?

Some years ago I bought a Nikon coolpix 5000, a 5 mp "prosumer" compact. The first photos I took were at least as good as the best prints I ever got from color film. I had been using Kodak Gold 100. Some people argued that with a good enough film scanner I could get superior results from film. Never had enough appeal.

I could see shooting B&W on film, especially fine grain film, but only if I had an enlarger to make prints.

AnandaSim
Forum ProPosts: 13,422Gear list
Like?

Dan Hudson wrote:

AnandaSim, Very enlightening material. Thanks for writing it. I have several digital cameras, just thought I would get good results from film. It all started when I decided to get a better scanner to record all my slides. It grew into the purchase of 2 film cameras, quite a bit of film not to mention a 28-80mm lens. I am not ready to give up yet, but probably will soon. What possible advantages does film have and will I get better results when I start shooting the two rolls of slide film I have? It seems so far in most circumstances that film requires less post processing....good contrast and color right out of the camera. Am I fooling myself? Thanks again for the great information....Dan

-- hide signature --

Film is more organic. Compare home. Grown vegetables, to mass produced super market pro quality vegetables. Home grown have blemishes, spots, are uneven in size but taste better. Film is like that.

Film cannot change ISO or WB with a dial. You put more effort in shooting

Scanned film is already mixed in colours nothing like Raw and more intertwined than digital JPEG. It has a look.

When you exceed the dynamic range of film the tones roll off differently than digital.

You won't get dust filaments and finger marks on digital. All you get is a dirty sensor

AnandaSim's gear list:AnandaSim's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +15 more
Leonard Migliore
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,823Gear list
Like?
I found out long ago
In reply to Dan Hudson, Jan 9, 2013

Dan Hudson wrote:

You're seeing quality issues because 35mm film is terrible. The negative is too small. I shot 35mm cameras for decades, from a Bolsey and a Zorki to a Canon rangefinder to a Nikon FE2. And the quality was generally miserable even though I was quite careful with exposure and processing and used Panatomic-X. There is no way 35mm can come up to 2 1/4 square. There's a huge gap.

I have found that a crop-sensor DSLR produces massively better pictures with much less effort than 35mm film. There's just nothing about 35mm film that I find superior or even equivalent.

Now once you start getting some size on your negatives, you're talking another talk. I've seen very good work from 6X6 cameras and have always been satisfied with 4X5. Digital's got a long way to go to match the resolution and scale you can get from sheet film.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Migliore

Leonard Migliore's gear list:Leonard Migliore's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +9 more
Ted Kahn
Regular MemberPosts: 210
Like?

Dan Hudson wrote:

I believe you hit it right that it is a natural effect of film not reacting correctly to the late afternoon light.

This is a matter of opinion of course, but I would say the film did react correctly to the light since that's what late afternoon light looks like.  Many people take pictures at that time of day specifically because they want to capture that beautiful light.

ecm
ecm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,415Gear list
Like?

There's still some 100 ISO film available. Check at www.freestylephoto.biz -  they've got some Kodak Ectar 100 still in stock. I've gotten a lot of B&W film from them in the past and they do a good job.

Colin.

-- hide signature --

unus pes præ altero....

ecm's gear list:ecm's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Canon EOS 600D Pentax Q Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
Dan Hudson
Like?
In reply to ecm, Jan 9, 2013

Thanks, I have purchased from them before, but not color film.....Dan

-- hide signature --

Dan Hudson
Like?
Re: I found out long ago
In reply to Leonard Migliore, Jan 9, 2013

You don't give me much hope of enjoying film again. There is something about film's color that attracts me and the fact that the scanned images require little if any post processing. I am used to heavy after the shot work in CS5. Not quite ready to give it up. Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge.....Dan

-- hide signature --

Dan Hudson
Like?
In reply to Ted Kahn, Jan 9, 2013

Well, my eyes did not see a red bridge. I wanted a more realistic image.

-- hide signature --

Tom_N
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,730
Like?

Dan Hudson wrote:

Well, my eyes did not see a red bridge. I wanted a more realistic image.

Human eyes are easily fooled.  The images that cameras (film or digital) capture often are more realistic than those the eye/brain see, in any objective sense.

Dan Hudson
Like?
In reply to Dan Hudson, Jan 12, 2013

Thanks all for your input....Dan

-- hide signature --