Why not an X-Pro 1s/ X-E1s

Started Jan 6, 2013 | Discussions
Mr Gadget
Senior MemberPosts: 1,847
Like?
Re: Why not an X-Pro 1s/ X-E1s
In reply to Photozopia, Jan 7, 2013

I feel that this is somewhat an unusual situation. FujiFilm basically left the higher end camera market several years ago when they discontinued the DSLRs based upon Nikon supplied bodies. The X Series is their re-entry back into this market segment and as such they need to quickly gain market share to provide the base for their lens sales.

To be able to do this they need to quickly address customer concerns that might be causing them to loose sales. If this is indeed happening it would send a strong signal to its customer that they are listening and are addressing issues with the platform.

-- hide signature --

Conrad --------------------------------------------------- Show Low, Arizona

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Photozopia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,302
Like?
In reply to Mr Gadget, Jan 7, 2013

That may be a view of a consumer in the West but it is not the Japanese way ... and Fuji is one of the most Japanese-centric of the major camera manufacturers. You are talking about a country who's housing market 'de-values' older property (unlike in the West) precisely because it is not 'new' - it is used, and buyers prefer newer properties.

Cars are officially obsolete after three years or so and usually removed from their roads (I believe you pay far more in taxes/duty fees to run an older vehicle) all to drive the home-grown car demand. History and ancient wisdom may be prized in Japan - but not commercial goods. Newer is better.

More experienced companies like Canon & Nikon - with well established distribution/marketing arms know how to appeal to Western consumers and are unlikely to commit faux-pas like introducing a superior product so soon after release of a 'competing' model.

Many predicted the demise of the X100 in late Jan. (I was told myself a few months ago by a friend in the trade) but most thought it would wholly be in favour of the XE-1 ... with the X100 becoming a 'new classic' as a result.

Alternatively - Fuji may be using the X100s as it did the original ... testing the water and/or honing technology in testbed form ... before rolling it out inside the other X mount cameras in six or twelve months time.

Charuteiro
Contributing MemberPosts: 527
Like?
In reply to rattymouse, Jan 7, 2013

Fujifilm may have wanted something new at Photokina.  Introducing an X-E1 with X100S features and a six (6) month lead time only opens their kimono to the competition...

Maybe the next generation of X-E1 has its EVF and a simple OVF with digital overlay of settings like in the new X20;  the X20 now has an X Trans CMOS II and no low-pass filter.

mbb101
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?
Re: Why not an X-Pro 1s/ X-E1s - there is no free lunch!!
In reply to Photozopia, Jan 7, 2013

What non of the posts in this thread especially the disgruntled XE 1 users has come to grips with is the XE 1 is a cut down cam. It was designed to give the X pro experience and interchangeable lenses at almost 50% of the cost of an X Pro 1. Now I always believed that there was no such thing as a free lunch. It is standard practice in many industries to offer cheaper products by removing features. In the same way that Celeron chips were slower than Pentium chips and hence if you want to buy a cheaper PC you had to accept slower processing.

There is little difference with those taking a sizeable discount on their XE 1's and now demanding they should have had the latest technology. I suspect the X Pro 1s is going to follow very shortly then  Fuji will have a very well defined product lineup. X20 low end 2/3" Xtrans, XE 1 1st gen Xtrans and slower AF at a discounted price, then the X100s and XPro 1s as the premium all singing and dancing top of the range cams.

Photozopia
Senior MemberPosts: 1,302
Like?
Re: Why not an X-Pro 1s/ X-E1s - there is no free lunch!!
In reply to mbb101, Jan 7, 2013

The XE-1 may be a cut-down cam ... but it competes directly with the Nex-6/7 models ... both of which use EVF and (to be honest) offer far more impressive internal technology features at similar prices.

Can only go so far being the cult/niche leader (ask Leica) before you realise you need to compete on price points - not 'superior' user experience.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads