P7700's Digital Zoom examples

Started Jan 6, 2013 | Discussions
Nikonworks
Senior MemberPosts: 2,202
Like?
P7700's Digital Zoom examples
Jan 6, 2013

While sitting in my parked car I noticed a branch fall off a pine tree in the corner of my eye.

Then another and another, when I realiized a guy with a chain saw was not pruning a pine tree but stripping the branches off and geting ready to chop it down.

I grabbed my ever present P7700, set it on Auto and took the following shots.

When 200mm equivalent was not enugh I changed the image quality to permit digital zoom and continued shooting.

The images only have a Shadow/highlight adjustment in CS4, and a tone adjustment in PhotoPerfect, due to the high contrast of the subject matter.

No crop, resize, nor sharpening. All handheld.

I am very satisfied wth the results.

I can even make out the wood chips flying off the chain saw with the worker's shirt as a background.

For the distance, moving subject matter, hand holding, IMHO, these are great digital zoom results.

Which enabled me to get a feel for something taking place in my suroundings.

I must try it with a tripod next time.

Here are my pics:

28 mm, subject is pine tree in the center of the frame.

200 mm equiv.

Full Digital Zoom, check out the wood chips flying off the saw.

Backed off to 139.6mm (P7700 measure) to get tree top falling. Here it falls toward my location.

Back to full digital zoom, a half a minute after this the bucket was low behind the house, tree no longer.

I hope you find this interesting and for travel the digital zoom can expand your horizons.

Another reason why the P7700 is a great camera, to me and many other people.

Nikon Coolpix P7700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,794Gear list
Like?
Re: P7700's Digital Zoom examples
In reply to Nikonworks, Jan 6, 2013

Those shots are rather poor, but that's not your fault, at least not entirely.

Digital zoom is NOT the same as cropping as the camera's softeware uses interpolation to make it work. This is why experienced shooters leave DC OFF. DC will often throw off metering and leave you less likely to get a sharp image.

Shooting at the long end of the optical zoom and then cropping in post will usually give superior results as well as more options.

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/digitalimaging/f/digitalzoom.htm

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nikonworks
Like?
In reply to Shotcents, Jan 6, 2013

Shotcents wrote:

Digital zoom is NOT the same as cropping as the camera's softeware uses interpolation to make it work. This is why experienced shooters leave DC OFF. DC will often throw off metering and leave you less likely to get a sharp image.

Shooting at the long end of the optical zoom and then cropping in post will usually give superior results as well as more options.

Robert

I thought I politely asked you not to respond to my posts due to your questioning my honesty.

I have decided not respond to your posts for reasons your posts make evident to most people.

Thank you.

Shotcents
Like?
In reply to Nikonworks, Jan 6, 2013

Nikonworks wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

Robert

I thought I politely asked you not to respond to my posts due to your questioning my honesty.

I have decided not respond to your posts for reasons your posts make evident to most people.

Thank you.

Anytime you post something out of ignorance or that is blatantly untrue, ANY member of these forums can point it out. We are FREE to do so as long as the rules here are not abused.

When someone asked you for your HONEST opinion on a high ISO in a different thread you, once again, avoided addressing the issue and made your response about something personal.

If you think people can't see through this type of fanboyism you're mistaken.

Digital zoom is a poor option in most cases, as your photos prove.

Cheers,

Robert

Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Jared Huntr
Senior MemberPosts: 1,458Gear list
Like?
The pot calling the kettle black
In reply to Shotcents, Jan 6, 2013

Shotcents wrote:

When someone asked you for your HONEST opinion on a high ISO in a different thread you, once again, avoided addressing the issue and made your response about something personal.

Actually, you do the same. In another thread, when I asked you some specific questions on the P7100 with regarded to your ownership or problems you reported about it, you evaded them and went on a long-winded response on Canon dSLRs and other cameras.

I began to observe this as a pattern in your replies so I simply gave up wasting my time responding. It is impossible to have a constructive discussion when one party has a habit of evading relevant questions while introducing off-topic subjects to distract the argument.

Jared Huntr's gear list:Jared Huntr's gear list
Ricoh GR
Jacque1
Regular MemberPosts: 215
Like?
Re: The pot calling the kettle black
In reply to Jared Huntr, Jan 6, 2013

Good evening,

A bit fed up with this 7700. English is not my first language, so my apologies. After more than 30 years whith silver and digital slr's since 2004 (with a compact style canon s70), I switched to full compact (after a bridge) 2 years ago : 1 lx3, 1 lx5, 1 x10, 1 g1x, and until october a 7700.(always with a nother compact spare, now it's a nikon s8200)

I'm very happy, it's'no perfect,but none is perfect. On this forum, it's seems always to blow the hot and the cold. It's a compact "bridge" with good apertures, many customizations, swivel screen, not too bad until 1600 iso, not do for the "pixelpeeper". But his grip and  polyvalence for  the souvenir photo is very good.

My 2cts....Happy new year everybody.

Shotcents
Like?
In reply to Jared Huntr, Jan 6, 2013

Jared Huntr wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

Actually, you do the same. In another thread, when I asked you some specific questions on the P7100 with regarded to your ownership or problems you reported about it, you evaded them and went on a long-winded response on Canon dSLRs and other cameras.

I began to observe this as a pattern in your replies so I simply gave up wasting my time responding. It is impossible to have a constructive discussion when one party has a habit of evading relevant questions while introducing off-topic subjects to distract the argument.

Nonsense. I asnwered you question. I didn't address every part of your question as I only had the P7100 for a couple of weeks.

I have posted samples to back up what I've commented on along with specific links to reviews that bear them out. In the end there is only an opinion of what some folks will accept or not accept.

As for this thread Nikonworks is DEAD WRONG to suggest to anyone using digital zoom. Look it up yourself.

If you're going to come onto a forum and start cheerleading for your new toy, at least show the BASIC elements of ability and knowledge before you spew out bad info or opinions as fact. Just like Nikonworks you've IGNORED the topic of this thread and posted about personal blather.

Rather than do THAT, why won't you stay on topic? Please explain to anyone reading why you feel all sources are wrong (including DPreview) and how interpolation within the a camera will outperform the optical zoom and good software post work.

The only REAL problem here is that I refuse to board the "P7700 is wonderful train" and prefer to discuss it's strengths and limitations in a realistic manner.

Robert

Shotcents
Like?
In reply to Jacque1, Jan 6, 2013

Jacque1 wrote:

Good evening,

A bit fed up with this 7700. English is not my first language, so my apologies. After more than 30 years whith silver and digital slr's since 2004 (with a compact style canon s70), I switched to full compact (after a bridge) 2 years ago : 1 lx3, 1 lx5, 1 x10, 1 g1x, and until october a 7700.(always with a nother compact spare, now it's a nikon s8200)

I'm very happy, it's'no perfect,but none is perfect. On this forum, it's seems always to blow the hot and the cold. It's a compact "bridge" with good apertures, many customizations, swivel screen, not too bad until 1600 iso, not do for the "pixelpeeper". But his grip and polyvalence for the souvenir photo is very good.

My 2cts....Happy new year everybody.

No worries about the English!

Some of my photographer friends have bought the P7700 to use along with their DSLRs, though not for any pro applications. A photographer looking for serious manual control over their images will do much better with a DSLR since it has far better quality across a broader spectrum.

On the other hand the s8200 is a nice little pocket cam and really a different market segment. I wouldn't compare it to the P7700.

Robert

ray-ray
Regular MemberPosts: 224Gear list
Like?
In reply to Shotcents, Jan 7, 2013

Golden rule:  "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything".  It's a different matter if someone is asking for critiquing, but for crying out loud... can't we just have fun with our cameras without having every inadequacy, weakness and shortcoming pointed out.  If you're trying to prove how photographer-savy you are, you're probably going to end up making people roll their eyes at you.  Those of us who own the P7700 most likely are thrilled with it... it takes great photos.  We don't need to have it pointed out over and over again that it doesn't take great photos the likes of the D600 or 800 or any of the "D's".  Give it a rest.  Please???

ray-ray's gear list:ray-ray's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X20 Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-450 Nikon D5100 +2 more
travellerben
Regular MemberPosts: 426
Like?

Shotcents wrote:

Robert

You are missing Nikonworks point.  I'm sure he knows full well the limitations of digital zoom and doesn't need you to remind him.  His point appears to me to be that the quality/usefulness of his digital zoom shots are quite surprising given those limitations.

-- hide signature --

Ben

Nikonworks
Like?
In reply to travellerben, Jan 7, 2013

Thank you Ben and others for trying to stay on topic.

Shotcents
Like?
In reply to ray-ray, Jan 7, 2013

ray-ray wrote:

Golden rule: "If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything".

I had nothing bad to say expect that the photos were not good and usage of the digital zoom adversely effects the quality.

It's a different matter if someone is asking for critiquing, but for crying out loud... can't we just have fun with our cameras without having every inadequacy, weakness and shortcoming pointed out.

There are dozens of threads here with folks using their cameras and having fun. But when someone posts something that has no benefit and in fact mat\y lead someone to misunderstand the feature set of a camera, you'd rather folks stay quiet?

If you're trying to prove how photographer-savy you are, you're probably going to end up making people roll their eyes at you. Those of us who own the P7700 most likely are thrilled with it... it takes great photos. We don't need to have it pointed out over and over again that it doesn't take great photos the likes of the D600 or 800 or any of the "D's". Give it a rest. Please???

If someone posts something that's blatantly untrue or negative in regards to a camera anyone has the right to point it out WITHOUT fear of censorship.

Roll your eyes all you want.

Robert

Shotcents
Like?
In reply to travellerben, Jan 7, 2013

You are missing Nikonworks point. I'm sure he knows full well the limitations of digital zoom and doesn't need you to remind him. His point appears to me to be that the quality/usefulness of his digital zoom shots are quite surprising given those limitations.

-- hide signature --

Ben

You're so sure he knows full well the limitations of digital zoom? LOL

So let me get this straight: This fellow, in his eagerness to show the capabilities of the P7700 (which I assume you own, so feel free to check on MY info to see if it's correct), decided to use a feature that DEGRADES image quality and post the results to show us WHAT exactly?

Had he used the optical zoom only and then cropped and PP'd properly his results would be better and we'd have something interesting to look at.

So rather than attack me for pointing this out (and pretending that he knew about in-camera software implementation firmware), please explain how his pics show anything useful about the quality of the P7700.

Thus far anyone looking at his results will run to the Canon showcase. Not only that, but when I and several others attempted to communicate with him he was unable to respond sensibly to anyone's ideas but his own.

So far I'm the only person here (besides the OP) who his on topic at all. And I bet the responses to this post won't have a thing to do with the topic since that would mean acknowledging that I'm quite right to have pointed this out to begin with. My "tone" may be to your liking, but consider the content instead.

Robert

travellerben
Regular MemberPosts: 426
Like?

Sigh... - Ignore the troll!

-- hide signature --

Ben

rhit
rhit MOD
Regular MemberPosts: 226Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nikonworks, Jan 7, 2013

Hi Folks,

I've noticed continued antagonizing between Nikonworks and Shotcents. Lately, the most either of you has contributed to the Coolpix forum is ample evidence that each of you knows how to push the other's buttons.

On more than one occasion, one has posted something, and the other has chimed in, entirely derailing the conversation.

It doesn't matter if one misinforms, as long as one's statements are supported with personal experiences or evidence and it isn't intentional. There's no explicit rule against fanboyism or misinforming. The more people contribute to the conversation, the more the truth will be evinced from the discussion, ultimately providing an appropriate answer at the end. Instead, however, you both appear to have an affinity for bickering and essentially kill the thread, deterring anyone else from wanting to participate.

It isn't fun for anyone else.

In the future, I recommend that when either of you responds to the other, you share your opinions and thoughts - and move on. Arguing the same point and/or defending your viewpoints quickly reaches a point of diminishing returns and as such no longer contributes to the general discussion - or anyone else's enjoyment of the thread.

P.S. I like to be a mod who remains mostly out of the way, but I felt compelled to finally write something because it's getting out of hand. If you you have any disagreements with or concerns regarding my posting, send me a private message.

Kindly,

rhit

-- hide signature --

i take cool pictures...sometimes.

rhit's gear list:rhit's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +6 more
Shotcents
Like?
In reply to rhit, Jan 7, 2013

rhit wrote:

Hi Folks,

I've noticed continued antagonizing between Nikonworks and Shotcents. Lately, the most either of you has contributed to the Coolpix forum is ample evidence that each of you knows how to push the other's buttons.

On more than one occasion, one has posted something, and the other has chimed in, entirely derailing the conversation.

It doesn't matter if one misinforms, as long as one's statements are supported with personal experiences or evidence and it isn't intentional. There's no explicit rule against fanboyism or misinforming. The more people contribute to the conversation, the more the truth will be evinced from the discussion, ultimately providing an appropriate answer at the end. Instead, however, you both appear to have an affinity for bickering and essentially kill the thread, deterring anyone else from wanting to participate.

In the future, I recommend that when either of you responds to the other, you share your opinions and thoughts - and move on. Arguing the same point and/or defending your viewpoints quickly reaches a point of diminishing returns and as such no longer contributes to the general discussion - or anyone else's enjoyment of the thread.

P.S. I like to be a mod who remains mostly out of the way, but I felt compelled to finally write something because it's getting out of hand. If you you have any disagreements with or concerns regarding my posting, send me a private message.

Kindly,

rhit

-- hide signature --

Your points are well taken and I have no concerns about your post. You're a moderator and so you're doing your job.

Thanks.

Robert

Nikonworks
Like?

rhit wrote:

Hi Folks,

Kindly,

rhit

-- hide signature --

Please don't include me with Shotcents.You should have banned him already.

walkaround
Senior MemberPosts: 1,035Gear list
Like?
In reply to Nikonworks, Jan 7, 2013

Nikonworks wrote:

Please don't include me with Shotcents.You should have banned him already.

+1

If ever there was a cause for moderating a forum, it's a guy who trolls the Coolpix forum posting fifty times a day about the "limitations" of compact cameras.

walkaround's gear list:walkaround's gear list
Canon ELPH 310 HS Nikon Coolpix P310 Canon PowerShot S110 NEX5R Olympus PEN E-PL5 +6 more
rhit
rhit MOD
Regular MemberPosts: 226Gear list
Like?
In reply to walkaround, Jan 7, 2013

I think you're missing the point which is that if someone posts 50 times about how terrible something is...your posting 50 times contesting that assertion is equally as futile and, by forum guidelines, inappropriate.

And, from a macro view, the majority of readers aren't interested in your respective points after the second, third or fourth postings. By repeating yourselves so aggressively and so frequently, you completely trivialize your arguments. Readers stop caring. No one else posts. Thread dies.

Doesn't matter whose point is more valid.

If you need an example, look at this thread.

And that is the key issue I was elucidating in my posting.

-- hide signature --

i make cool pictures...sometimes.

rhit's gear list:rhit's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +6 more
Nikonworks
Like?

rhit wrote:

I think you're missing the point which is that if someone posts 50 times about how terrible something is...your posting 50 times contesting that assertion is equally as futile and, by forum guidelines, inappropriate.

Respectfully you are missing the point in regards to Shotcents.

Yes, he posts numerous 'times about how terrible something is....'

But the responses are not coming from one member, namely me, Nikonworks, according to your Moderation Post, the responses are coming from several members who state their position quite clearly.

This is why I ask you not to include me.

I do not flame this member and in fact informed him I will not respond to his posts and

I asked him politely not to respond to my posts.

I understand that a Moderator has to be evenhanded, but take note at the few times and the content of which I responded to Shortcents.

There is nothing to be evenhaded about. It is your decision to take a singular action to ensure this Forum is appealing to members and Newbies alike.

And as far as my providing substance to this Coolpix Forum, I have posted several of my experiences and suggestions on using the P7700 to a very favorable response from members.

And, from a macro view, the majority of readers aren't interested in your respective points after the second, third or fourth postings. By repeating yourselves so aggressively and so frequently,

There is nothing aggressive nor repetitive about any of my posts and as I just explained it is Shotcents on one side and Several Members responding on the other side.

you completely trivialize your arguments. Readers stop caring. No one else posts. Thread dies.

Doesn't matter whose point is more valid.

If you need an example, look at this thread.

Yes, I reponded once to Shotcents reminding him I asked him not to respond to my posts, and once to Ben, thanking him for getting the thread back on message.

So please, don't include me with Shotcents.

And that is the key issue I was elucidating in my posting.

-- hide signature --

i make cool pictures...sometimes.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads