What's up with my "Back-Button"?

Started Jan 6, 2013 | Discussions
aVolanche
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,553Gear list
Like?
What's up with my "Back-Button"?
Jan 6, 2013

I'm using Windows 7 with IE 9 and am having issues with the "back-button" not working properly. It often takes 2 or 3 clicks to get it to work. I never have issues going forward, only back.

Some sites are worse than others (Fred Miranda is bad!). Is this something that's an Internet Explorer thing?  Can I do anything to fix it?

Thanks!

Diane

Torsten Hoff
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,232Gear list
Like?
Re: What's up with my "Back-Button"?
In reply to aVolanche, Jan 6, 2013

It could be due to ad scripts that are designed to get around third-party cookie blocking. Basically a site will redirect to the ad network site where the cookie is now a site cookie and thus not blocked, and then redirect you back to the original site.

Pressing Back would take you to the ad network site and immediately send you back to the site you came from.

Torsten Hoff's gear list:Torsten Hoff's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
aVolanche
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,553Gear list
Like?
In reply to Torsten Hoff, Jan 7, 2013

I suspect you are right. So, I'd guess that makes it a balancing act with  the "allow cookies" security settings.

Thanks!

Diane

Torsten Hoff
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,232Gear list
Like?
In reply to aVolanche, Jan 8, 2013

When I have encountered that problem, I usually just bit the back button twice in rapid succession -- that has worked for me. It basically does the second Back before the ad network can do its scripted redirect.

Torsten Hoff's gear list:Torsten Hoff's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 +14 more
Robert Schoner
Contributing MemberPosts: 964
Like?
In reply to aVolanche, Jan 8, 2013

Hi,

I'm still on IE8 but when I have that problem I click on the down arrow in the upper left that gives me a list of the sites I have recently been to. Often I will see several versions of the same site but with different ads. I find where I want to go back to and click on that. "Double-Click" is a particularly bad one. It will have loaded so many ads that it's impossible to go back using the back button. I have not found a way around this problem.

HTH,

Bob Schoner

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads