Need a new calibrator?

Started Jan 4, 2013 | Discussions
Craig
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,654
Like?
Need a new calibrator?
Jan 4, 2013

I refuse to buy another Xrite product after having two Eye1.s go bad.

how about the SpiderPro4?

Peter Patricelli
Regular MemberPosts: 327
Like?
Re: Need a new calibrator?
In reply to Craig, Jan 4, 2013

I had an earlier version of SpyderPro which I struggled with monumentally for years.  It zero'd my monitor well enough....I think.....but since it did NOT read/scan the printed test image itself I had to go to an UN-zeroed/callibrated commercial source.....so the whole process was flawed from the start.  The resulting printing profile was just a rough starting point.

After getting an Epson 3880, then a Nikon D800, then a new computer to handle the greater file demands, etc., etc....I was still struggling with color matching with the Spyder system.

So, I finally sprung for Colormunki Photo which could callibrate both my monitor AND scan the printer output AND produce paper/ink specific profiles.  MY GOD what a difference!!!!!  For the first time in a decade I have complete confidence in my printing matching my monitor adjustments....without multiple test patches and color tweaking.

From what I have gathered from this forum, the experience with Colormunki is almost universally positive and on the line of my experience.

Yes, I know CM is also an Xrite product, but there are no multiple reports of CM failures that I am aware of.  If the SP system does NOT also calibrate it's own printer output, then you are asking to get into a boxing match with one arm tied behind your back.  Just my $.02

-- hide signature --

Peter Patricelli www.flyfishingfotography.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Craig
Like?
In reply to Peter Patricelli, Jan 4, 2013

which version of the color munki should I get?

Craig
Like?

I see the color munki photo..

wow $450

I cant go for that right now.. bummer

Bob Collette
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,727Gear list
Like?

Craig wrote:

I see the color munki photo..

wow $450

I cant go for that right now.. bummer

The ColorMunki Photo is a true spectrophotometer and can build both monitor and printer profiles, hence the $450 price tag.

If all you need/want to do is to calibrate & profile your monitor (no printer profiling), you can go with either the ColorMunki Display (~$170), or the i1Display Pro (~$240).  While the reviews of the ColorMunki Display are good, the reviews of the i1Display Pro are superb.

Note, I don't have any ColorMunki product, so I don't have any first-hand experience with the ColorMunki products.  I have the older i1 Pro spectrophotometer (~$1500 when I purchased it 6 years ago), which does both monitor and printer profiles.

Bob Collette's gear list:Bob Collette's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 +4 more
Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,843
Like?
You can rent a CM

from borrowlens.com for about $50 for 4 days including the shipping.  Lensrental.com also rents them. You are using OEM inks, so most, if not all the papers you are using have custom ICC printer profiles available, but even so you can still generate custom ICC profiles for those papers as all printers have variations and not all paper supplied ICC profiles work  perfectly so you can make your own.  You really don't need to profile your monitor every week,  I'm using the same monitor profile for over a year as it matches my prints extremely close and don't want to upset what I have.

I do use an Xrite I1D2 colorimeter with my NEC monitor's SpectraView II calibration software and never had a problem.  I also use Xrite's I1PRO and Pulse Color Elite systems to generate custom ICC printer profiles and no issues there.  I had the Spyder 3 system and have a very bad taste in my mouth as it never gave me clean whites, always a slight yellow tint, I suspected a bad Spyder colorimeter but DataColor refused to work with me on that issue and I dumped them and went with the Xrite systems, perfectly clean whites!

I have compared ICC printer profiles from the CM Photo to my more expensive I1PRO Photo and you can't see any differences in prints.

Bob P.

Craig
Like?
In reply to Bob Collette, Jan 4, 2013

I know I should get both but too big of a bullet to swallow right now.

I am just upset that I have been producing garbage again and not knowing it because there is no way of knowing it the calibrator is working properly. I re calibrated and my screen comes out the same way.

I am leery of Xrite because this is the second puck that has gone bad. I guess they last about a year or so.

Petruska
Like?
I gave you an option to rent...

below....

You saved a ton of money buying R2000 OEM cartridges extremely cheap so I doubt that $50 is going to break the bank, plus if you sell prints as you state you do wouldn't a sale of two bring you in $50?

Bob P.

Craig
Like?
Re: I gave you an option to rent...
In reply to Petruska, Jan 4, 2013

Where do you get $50 from?

The munki Photo is $450 and the Munki Display 1 is $160

then there is the next one up for $230.

I just printed a couple of 4x6.s and I notice that the areas which should be bright white like I see on my monitor come out very off white too. I printed 1 using Photoshop (profile) and the other Printer controls colors. They both look the same.. I guess the depending on the paper used is what will be seen through the print.

Petruska
Like?
This is about "renting", not buying

http://www.borrowlenses.com/category/calibrators

Sorry not 4 days, 3 days, $36 plus shipping, about $50 total.

Your whites on a print can't be any whiter than the paper white....

The whiter the paper, usally more OBA's which affect print ink fade resistance/longevity.

Bob P.

Craig
Like?
Re: This is about "renting", not buying
In reply to Petruska, Jan 4, 2013

I prefer to have one on hand. I dont know why I am on the second bad puck.

This makes me so angry because I work my butt off trying to get proper WB and color, to NO AVAIL.. There is no way of knowing if you have the correct color if the puck is off.

Craig
Like?

could I have anything else off besides bad calibration?

I know my printer profiles are correct for the paper.

Petruska
Like?
It just costs money to get there...

one way or another.  I have two complete computer systems, I have multiple colorimeters and spectometers and 6 printers.  Thus if I question a piece of hardware acting up I try my alternative to narrow down what is wrong.  It's nothing to spend a few thousand dollars on this printing hobby, and those few thousand dollars can buy a lot of custom lab printing don't they!

Nobody here can tell if your puck is bad or not, if that standardize test photo printed out correctly, then it's obviously that you have either a bad monitor calibration, bad calibration hardware/software setup, or even a bad monitor.

Good luck!

Bob P.

Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,494
Like?

Craig wrote:

could I have anything else off besides bad calibration?

I know my printer profiles are correct for the paper.

What exactly is making you think your monitor calibration is off? What sort of delta E values are you getting from the calibration?

Brian A

Craig
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Jan 4, 2013

You are asking a Moron..

My prints are yellow and my screen images look the way I want them to. When I hold the printed image up to the screen, not even close.. Yuk..

I just ordered a color munki..

Vernon D Rainwater
Forum ProPosts: 12,205
Like?

Craig wrote:

I know I should get both but too big of a bullet to swallow right now.

I am just upset that I have been producing garbage again and not knowing it because there is no way of knowing it the calibrator is working properly. I re calibrated and my screen comes out the same way.

I am leery of Xrite because this is the second puck that has gone bad. I guess they last about a year or so.

Craig, obviously I don't understand-- can you not evaluate your printed photos to readily know if you ARE (or are NOT) producing Garbage -- as you have mentioned above

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

Craig
Like?
In reply to Vernon D Rainwater, Jan 4, 2013

I just did evaluate my printed photos and they are too yellow..

My screen looks good, not the photos. Especially skin tones.

Hugowolf
Forum ProPosts: 11,494
Like?

Craig wrote:

Atlex has it for $399.

Brian A

Craig
Like?
In reply to Hugowolf, Jan 4, 2013

thanks,,

I this Munki thing doesnt do the trick to correct my screen and get my printed images closer than i will send it back and go for the real deal.

Dimitri_P
Regular MemberPosts: 176Gear list
Like?
In reply to Craig, Jan 5, 2013

Craig wrote:

You are asking a Moron..

My prints are yellow and my screen images look the way I want them to. When I hold the printed image up to the screen, not even close.. Yuk..

Really?     Really ?  People here have been typing their asses off trying to help you and all you have to offer in return is what you said above?

You may be out of calibration

Instead of running around like a camera body without a lens attached, exclaiming "the prints dont' match, the prints don't match" perhaps you can take the time to and figure out the answers to the questions you are being asked by the people trying to help you.

As for the rest of you polite souls, there is such a thing as being too polite

Dimitri_P's gear list:Dimitri_P's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-500 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads