No OMDs in use in California?

Started Jan 4, 2013 | Discussions
webservants
Contributing MemberPosts: 691Gear list
Like?
No OMDs in use in California?
Jan 4, 2013

I visited the Space Shuttle Endeavour exhibit at the California Science Center yesterday with my OMD and almost everyone there were using cameras, many DSLRs, some Sony mirrorless but I didn't see a single OMD, in fact in have never seen another OMD in use in my travels in this state.

-- hide signature --

blessings, Steven

webservants's gear list:webservants's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +1 more
dw113
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
Re: No OMDs in use in California?
In reply to webservants, Jan 4, 2013

Me!!!!!

Great photo and wonderful composition.

dw113's gear list:dw113's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ohwellOK
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?

Nice photo!

Nor have I seen any in use here in NYC either, and I work daily right smack in the middle of a very popular area frequented by many SLR toting tourists. Mostly Canons, Nikons, a few P&S, and lots of iPhones. I've spotted a couple of Lumix m43s recently, though.

Chuck Eklund
Regular MemberPosts: 428Gear list
Like?

Nice image. What a beautiful beast.

I saw another in Yosemite a few weeks ago.

Chuck Eklund's gear list:Chuck Eklund's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
Barry Stewart
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,043Gear list
Like?
Yosemite
In reply to Chuck Eklund, Jan 4, 2013

You saw a space shuttle in Yosemite? Must have caused one heck of a traffic jam!

(Yes, I know you meant an OM-D... but that's not how your post "sounded.")

-- hide signature --

Barry

Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +7 more
AoxoA
Regular MemberPosts: 295Gear list
Like?

Actually, I have to use my OM-D outside of California (although that will change this year).

AoxoA's gear list:AoxoA's gear list
Olympus E-3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +6 more
Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,996
Like?

I have yet to see another E-M5 "in the wild" here in California, although I've been asked about mine. Fact is, being a several-year Oly shooter I've become accustomed to being a group of one. There has never been another in the several photo classes I've taken.

Cheers,

Rick

webservants
Contributing MemberPosts: 691Gear list
Like?
In reply to Skeeterbytes, Jan 4, 2013

Skeeterbytes wrote:

I have yet to see another E-M5 "in the wild" here in California, although I've been asked about mine. Fact is, being a several-year Oly shooter I've become accustomed to being a group of one. There has never been another in the several photo classes I've taken.

Cheers,

Rick

I hardly take out my Canon gear  these days. The "E-M5" is my camera of choice now.

-- hide signature --

blessings, Steven

webservants's gear list:webservants's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Promit
Contributing MemberPosts: 929Gear list
Like?

I have not yet seen an OMD in the wild in a number of places. I have seen a few of the Panasonics (G1, GF2, etc), a number of NEX bodies (including a VG20), and even a smattering of Nikon J1s. One time I saw a Samsung NX1000.

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony a77 II +13 more
Landscapephoto99
Senior MemberPosts: 2,461
Like?

The 1 other OMD owner couldn't make it there.  Seriously, I know of OMD owners here, usually smart people like myself haha, but we're drowned out by the mass of Canon owners who "got theirs at Costco".  Did you know they even sell the D600 there?  It's right at the door as you go in.

dcassat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,152Gear list
Like?
But then I'm invisible!

Thanks for the awesome pic, great that you got to see 'the antique"

I think the camera isn't really flashy and therefore it would be easy to miss, that's one.

I think the camera WAY smaller than an SLR and could be mistaken for a P & S from a distance, that's two.

I think that only the coolest people own them and there aren't many of us around, that's three!

Finally, we aren't found in crowds where other's might see this great piece of technology, rather we're out taking pictures in the wild....

-- hide signature --

Dan

dcassat's gear list:dcassat's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +5 more
Trevor Carpenter
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,172
Like?

I have never seen an E-M5 outside of a shop and I look. I assume it's because the best camera in the world has a built in invisibility cloak.  Could be a big 2013 selling point for people who are to shy to talk about why their camera is best.

-- hide signature --
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,712Gear list
Like?
Re: Yosemite
In reply to Barry Stewart, Jan 4, 2013

Barry Stewart wrote:

You saw a space shuttle in Yosemite? Must have caused one heck of a traffic jam!

(Yes, I know you meant an OM-D... but that's not how your post "sounded.")

Excellent Barry. exactly what I thought.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
DigitalDick
Contributing MemberPosts: 691
Like?
Re: A bunch in NY

I raved about the E-M5 in a photo class I teach and in my camera club. So far we have 9 E-M5s in a group of about 100 photographers.

I think Olympus owes me a big commission. Perhaps a nice 75 mm.

Dick

Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 8,712Gear list
Like?
Re: But then I'm invisible!
In reply to dcassat, Jan 4, 2013

dcassat wrote:

Thanks for the awesome pic, great that you got to see 'the antique"

I think the camera isn't really flashy and therefore it would be easy to miss, that's one.

I think the camera WAY smaller than an SLR and could be mistaken for a P & S from a distance, that's two.

I think that only the coolest people own them and there aren't many of us around, that's three!

Finally, we aren't found in crowds where other's might see this great piece of technology, rather we're out taking pictures in the wild....

Ha, ha! Good one. But I got a bit concerned when you confused a well cared for vineyard with "the wild". Okay, maybe after a generous sampling of the product … LOL

Nioce pic -- i love trying to catch mist betwixt and between like that. I say "trying" because since taking a truly memorable shot like that while descending the Kassam Pass on the Highlands Highway in Papua New Guinea in 1970, I haven’t succeeded! 

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +5 more
Loryh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,910
Like?
Re: No OMDs in use in California? I have one and two friends do and my brother-in-law....

I know of four in use with people close to me, with more who are seriously impressed by mine and may buy one. I met someone while I was out shooting last fall on the east side of the Sierra who had one.

My brother in law, and a friend both bought one after looking at mine.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.

regards,

Lory

Loryh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,910
Like?
Re: But then I'm invisible!
In reply to dcassat, Jan 4, 2013

ooooooooooooooooo that is luscious.:-)

Lory

paultakeda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,782
Like?
I'm in LA and a brother is in Berkeley. We both have E-M5s. (nt)
In reply to Loryh, Jan 4, 2013

no text

Russ Houston
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,370Gear list
Like?
None at Disneyworld

I was at Disneyworld over Christmas and never saw another OM-D.  Mainly dSLRs (including about 3 Pentax), but probably 35% mirrorless (mainly NEX, and some Panny's and Pens).

I've never seen another OM-D in the wild.

BTW, my OM-D performed great at Disney and sure makes a nice, light package.  I carried the OM-D with the 14-150, and stuck the 17/2.8 in my pocket.  I had the little flash on the camera strap for the few times I needed it.

Russ Houston's gear list:Russ Houston's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +7 more
IrishhAndy
Contributing MemberPosts: 868
Like?

webservants wrote:

I visited the Space Shuttle Endeavour exhibit at the California Science Center yesterday with my OMD and almost everyone there were using cameras, many DSLRs, some Sony mirrorless but I didn't see a single OMD, in fact in have never seen another OMD in use in my travels in this state.

-- hide signature --

blessings, Steven

You would think that califorians would like the stabiliser for earthquake shots.

-- hide signature --

A solution looking for a problem !

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads